• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
We don't have separate threads for every new GOTY list but we do typically host a thread around Paste Magazine's best games of the year feature. Usually because they're full of interesting picks!

I personally always love checking out their lists and picking up some recommendations for things that I've missed.

Any games here that you haven't played yet that you've been meaning to? Anything that you haven't heard of before and are now checking out? Much more interested in that discussion than 'x was robbed' etc.

Without further ado...

www.pastemagazine.com

The 30 Best Games of 2022

Paste Magazine is your source for the best music, movies, TV, comedy, videogames, books, comics, craft beer, politics and more. Discover your favorite albums and films.

30. Cultic
29. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
28. Metal: Hellsinger
27: Splatoon 3
26: Weird West
25: Horizon Forbidden West
24: The Last Clockwinder
23: PowerWash Simulator
22: Trombone Champ
21: Iron Lung
20: Rogue Legacy 2
19: Xenoblade Chronicles 3
18: OlliOlli World
17: Kirby and the Forgotten Land
16: I Was a Teenage Exocolonist
15: Marvel Snap
14: Soul Hackers 2
13: Stray
12: Cult of the Lamb
11: Wordle
10: Tunic
9: Vampire Survivors
8: Live A Live
7: Neon White
6: Signalis
5: Elden Ring
4: Pentiment
3: Immortality
2: Citizen Sleeper
1: NORCO

Previous top threes from Paste!

3. Metroid Dread
2. Psychonauts 2
1. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

3. Kentucky Route Zero Act V
2. If Found
1. Hades

3. A Plague Tale: Innocence
2. Outer Wilds
1. Control

3. Gris
2. Return of the Obra Dinn
1. Florence

Last edited:

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Thought Immortality kinda sucked. Interesting concept with some great acting, but the execution was really poor for me. I'd switch that one out for OlliOlli World.

Lots of great picks here, though. I really need to/want to play NORCO, Pentiment, and Signalis soon.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty surprised with Soul Hackers 2 being pretty high on the list. I thought it had a pretty mixed reception, so I skipped the game altogether.

(Also I have to admit that I'm not a fan of these GOTY lists coming out in November – there's still a whole month left!)

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Now this is a great list that full of interesting games and not one game is similar with each other. Norco as the number one is pretty good.

In before someone complain gow ragnarok not included in the list.

Oct 30, 2017
Nice. I have all of these:

And I haven't played any of them. I'm a sucker for sales and spending money.

OlliOlli World too low IMO.

Only played a little, but love that Weird West and Cultic are on the list.

Corv

Aug 5, 2022
Fun list. Interesting to me that Plague Tale was 3 in 2019 but the sequel didn't make the top 30 this year.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Glad to see Kirby mentioned. Probably the only time I'll see it on one of these lists, lol

Ricitor

Oct 27, 2017
That's a damn fine list right there. Happy at least one GOTY list (at least so far) places Citizen Sleeper on there, let alone so high where it belongs!

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Soul Hackers 2 that high is wild lol Super happy to see Live A Live and Signalis there though. Really great list.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Very interesting - and VERY plot-heavy - top 4.

I need to play NORCO since it's RIGHT THERE on GamePass.

Oct 27, 2017
Prodeus was probably the most fun I had with any new release this year and I have just realised it's probably not going to be on any of these publication's lists.

Oh well.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I'm glad to see PowerWash Simulator getting some love. I can't imagine it'll show up on many other lists.

Also Wordle absolutely deserves to be on a lot of lists, for how it took over the internet at the start of the year.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Haven''t played most of those games, but very very glad to see the games that made 1-5 make it there - these games don't get talked about that much.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty surprised with Soul Hackers 2 being pretty high on the list. I thought it had a pretty mixed reception, so I skipped the game altogether.

(Also I have to admit that I'm not a fan of these GOTY lists coming out in November – there's still a whole month left!)

Soul Hackers 2 was a fun romp through the game. It is along of the lines of standard Shin Megami Tensei fare. If you like these games and the personas and such, you can find many games to spend a worse time in.

I like these types of lists because they are off the beaten path and makes me give double takes to some games that I don't have that are on these lists.

25: Horizon Forbidden West
17: Kirby and the Forgotten Land
14: Soul Hackers 2

This is what I have on this list so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I can't complain about the lack of Norco like I have with every other GOTY list I've seen.

Only thing left to criticize now is that none of ebi-hime's VNs made it.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
OP there's a typo in the list you've pasted, it should be Xeno 3 instead of 2. :D

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Also I have to admit that I'm not a fan of these GOTY lists coming out in November – there's still a whole month left!

I think the reality with a lot of these lists is:

- they're going to get the most attention a month or so ahead of Christmas - because people are looking for buying guides
- releases tend to dry up towards mid December onwards anyway
- people stop working and take a Christmas break at some point so want to get these discussions done and get the articles out before they do. I'm not in the media but my place breaks up for Christmas in two weeks and we are trying to wrap up what we can now.

You're right though. Could do it in January! I dare say that end of November is actually the perfect time in terms of getting eyes on an article though and, at the end of the day, that's what these sites are here for and trying to do. That's why they write these lists in the first place, because they're popular.

I hope that anything incredible that sites miss is included in next years!

Aug 31, 2019
I just started playing Norco, really enjoying it so far. Weirdly, it reminds me of text adventure games from the 80s, in that it's full of descriptive language that mostly left games when graphics became the focus. It's making me want to check that scene out again

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Crazy that God of War Ragnarok isn't even on the list. Did they didn't get a chance to play it or were like "nah we don't think it's that great"?

I've had my eye on Narco but may wait on a sale. PSN sales for recent digital games happen more frequently nowadays.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy that God of War Ragnarok isn't even on the list. Did they didn't get a chance to play it or were like "nah we don't think it's that great"?

God of War was number 26 in their 30 Best Games of 2018 so fair to say they like the series but not a massive surprise if it fell off this time if there were more games that they liked.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

I've had my eye on Narco but may wait on a sale. PSN sales for recent digital games happen more frequently nowadays.

They reviewed it, so they just didn't like it enough to place it on the list. Pentiment released after GoW and ranked #4 too, so it's not a matter of timing either or anything.

www.pastemagazine.com

God of War Ragnarök Is a Slow, Meandering Sequel with Just Enough of the Original's Spark

Paste Magazine is your source for the best music, movies, TV, comedy, videogames, books, comics, craft beer, politics and more. Discover your favorite albums and films.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't really click with Immortality either, it was technically very impressive but that's about it for me. Very curious about the other top 4 games, though. Looking forward to playing Pentiment soon, at least.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Nice list, though with all the love it shows for b-level JRPGs I'm surprised it doesn't have Triangle Strategy, the best one all year IMO.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't heard of The Last Clockwinder. Checking it out!

Also really cool to see Wordle on a list. I totally forgot that it was this year and of course it was a big deal in 2022.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
Wow actually a decent list despite distinct lack of Return to Monkey Island. I like how it's not just another listing of the biggest AAA releases of the year.. Horizon Forbidden West is still too high though.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wow actually a decent list despite distinct lack of Return to Monkey Island. I like how it's not just another listing of the biggest AAA releases of the year.. Horizon Forbidden West is still too high though.

With such an adventure heavy top four, I was kinda surprised to not see Return to Monkey Island there to round out a strong five!

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
10: Tunic

7: Neon White
6: Signalis

7/10 on Game Pass. Good times.

N2BearHugs

May 29, 2018
I just played Citizen Sleeper. It's very good, so glad to see it so high.

Think Tinykin and Poinpy would make good additions to the list.

You know… this could be an ad for game pass.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Ideally, all lists would be full of intriguing picks like this one. Tons of overlooked games that rarely get the attention they deserve in year-end reviews. Good work.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Soul Hackers above Kirby, Xenoblade, Turtles, Splatoon… genuinely curious what they saw in it and why they liked it so much.

Interesting list as always!

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
I hate to say it but my dyslexic-ass really struggles with heavy reading based games.

Bounce hard from stuff like NORCO, despite hearing great things about it.

On the flip side of their list, I'm seriously considering Cultic to be top or near to of my personal GOTY. Something about the whole package just works so well.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
What an absolute piss take lol, not even heard of some of the games listed to be fair so can't speak to their quality but yeah, certain omissions like GoWR are a bit of a joke in my view.

Last edited:

JadedGhost

Jan 28, 2019
Good list with a few gems like tinykin and nobody saves the world absent as well as the obvious ones like gow Ragnarok and plague tale requiem.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
glad to see a list without overrated games like God of Boring

Live a Live getting its deserved recognition

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
What an absolutely horrendous list lol, not even heard of some of the games listed to be fair so can't speak to their quality but yeah, certain omissions like GoWR are a bit of a joke in my view.

How is it a horrendous list if you've never heard of most of the games, thus never playing them? Just because one game you liked isn't on there? Not everyone's going to like a game just because it has a high Metacritic score.

glad to see a list without overrated games like God of Boring

Live a Live getting its deserved recognition

You mean God of Snore: Ragnarock Me to Sleep, surely.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
What a bad list. Author needs to play on something else besides gamepads and Xbox. Any list without gow:r is not a real list. Also norco and pentiment in top 4 when they are not even real games is a travesty