• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
30. Vampyr
29. A Case of Distrust
28. Where the Water Tastes Like Wine
27. Fire Pro Wrestling World: Fighting Road
26. God of War
25. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
24. Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee
23. Just Shapes & Beats
22. Battletech
21. Monster Hunter: World
20. Astro Bot Rescue Mission
19. Dragon Ball FighterZ
18. Hitman 2
17. Wandersong
16. Life is Strange 2 Episode 1
15. Yakuza 6
14. Donut County
13. Tetris Effect
12. Graveyard Keeper
11. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
10. Deltarune
9. Dead Cells
8. Dandara
7. Spider-Man
6. Celeste
5. Minit
4. Into the Breach
3. Gris
2. Return of the Obra Dinn
1. Florence

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/11/goty-2018.html?p=3

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Spiderman and Ni no kuni over Astrobot.. Yeah no. More ppl need to play VR games... No effing way is NNK 2 better than Astrobot. I refuse to believe such ppl exist : (

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Putting Pokémon immediately above Assassin's Creed and God of War?

C'mon, who of you did this?
At least be subtle, LOL.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is Spider-Man the only AAA game to crack the top 15? also surprised at the lack of RDR2 (Pokemon Let's Go made it over Red Dead? really?)

Oct 27, 2017
This list feels like clickbait. Respect the Obra dinn pick but Florence #1?? its 45 minute cutscene. Interesting, but barely a game. Also this is the same website that said red dead 2's portrayal of Charles was "redface" and racist so of course it couldn't make their list. Good luck with that, paste...

Last edited:

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I hereby bequeath 5,000 Street Creds to whoever came up with this list. You must truly be: Cool

Oct 29, 2017
Does not apprear that unusual other than the lack of RDR2.

Overall seems similar to other publications that got a thread about their picks.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
No Dragon Quest? Boooo.. Well, at least they picked Battletech.

Outside of some exception, this is basically the "indies and under the radar games" list, which makes it interesting.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This list rocks. So many great games. Super happy to see DEAD CELLS, Just Shapes and Beats, and Dandara receive some love. And with Gris on the list, I'm even more excited to play it when it launches on the 13th.

platypo

Jan 9, 2018
Really cool list, did not know about Gris and it looks amazing. The Fire Pro Wrestling game mention is an particularly good pick as well.

I really dislike Best of Year lists that only compile traditional video games. The beauty of the medium is in the structural freedom developers have to express their story. It's really great to see so much experimentation being done by smaller devs.

Oct 27, 2017
There is still a month left of the year.

When will people realize that not all publications and website follow a calendar year? It's obvious people want Game of the Year awards to wait until Super Smash Bros. releases, but in a year where God of War, RDR2, Celeste, etc. released, Smash is not guaranteed an automatic win. Blame Nintendo for waiting to release so late in the year. It'll be eligible for 2019's GotY awards in some places. As for the list at hand, I'm kinda surprised none of the big AAA titles made too 5. Plenty of indie games though.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is Gris even released yet? This seems like a forced 'non-mainstream' list. Anyway at least Into the Breach is high. Possibly the best indie of the year.

e: nm barely even looked at the list, my post is dumb. also lists are just opinions so the critique was dumb anyway

Last edited:

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Pretty refreshing to see a list like this. I'm used to publications singing the praises of the biggest, most expensive blockbusters, which I typically don't care for. A list like this makes it much easier to find games I'd probably like, but missed.

The only real omission I can spot from it, is The MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories. I wonder if they're missed it, or didn't like it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Happy to see Into the Breach near the top, that's likely to be my game of the year.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
haven't heard anything regarding top 5. maybe i need to branch out more.

*Looks at backlog*

NOPE!

Oct 26, 2017
Florence is nowhere close to this all-time game people want it to be.

Florence tries to communicate "figuring out what to say to your boyfriend can be a puzzle at times" by having the conversations be said by putting literal puzzle pieces together.

The gameplay mechanics are just too shallow and about as subtle as a brick to the face.

It's worth the $3, it's got some interesting ideas, there will be great games like this made in the future, but it's too shallow and too non-subtle to be great.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Very cool list. I've played exactly half of the games on it and the top 3 are at the top of my to play list so there's a lot of overlap, and even in instances where I disagree (Graveyard Keeper), Holly Green has written enough on Paste and elsewhere that I can understand where she's coming from. Props to giving Florence the top spot as well.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with putting some lesser known games into the spotlight. Picking Ni no Kuni II, though...

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm not into this "best of the year" list in December thing (can you not wait to get your hits in January?), and sure this one has some head-scratchers, but I reckon this'll be one of the most interesting award season lists I'll read. Comparing it to something like the Game Awards nominees (no disrespect, I'll be watching), I find about a dozen more accolade-worthy games on the Paste list. Granted, it skews more to my tastes, but it's nice to see a diversity of opinion in the industry come awards time.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
When will people realize that not all publications and website follow a calendar year? It's obvious people want Game of the Year awards to wait until Super Smash Bros. releases, but in a year where God of War, RDR2, Celeste, etc. released, Smash is not guaranteed an automatic win. Blame Nintendo for waiting to release so late in the year. It'll be eligible for 2019's GotY awards in some places. As for the list at hand, I'm kinda surprised none of the big AAA titles made too 5. Plenty of indie games though.
I can't say I'm too invested in this debate, but if it's supposed to be a list of "Best 2018 Games" then excluding games that released in December 2018 seems to go against that idea. Releasing this list at the end of December or even in January would make more sense to me and I'm not sure why it has to be written now as opposed to then.

That said, I do like this list. There's an emphasis on games that are trying and succeeding to do something interesting which I really appreciate.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting list, refreshing to see a list that isn't basically Metacritic: The Chart once in a while.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Florence is a great pick. Loved that game despite having some grips with the narrative itself.

I should play more of Into the Breach! But I'm bad at it lol

Edit: anyway, great list with some great games! It has been a good year overall.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I've not heard of Florence, and the 2006 open world game 'Spiderman' looks odd that high up. Other than that, good list.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I also still have to grab Minit. It's supposed to be pretty short so I need to not put it off anymore.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Into the Breach in Top 5 is correct, though the list is missing La-Mulana 2, ZeroRanger, and Dragon Quest XI.

Deleted member 1781

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice and interesting list. Just shows how good 2018 has been so far regarding games. There are a lot of games that I still want to play.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Fantastic to see Spidey, GoW, Tetris Effect and Astro Bot in the list. What an year it has been for PlayStation. Keep it up Sony.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 should be on more GOTY lists tbh.

I also assume Guacamelee 2 will deserve a spot when I play it.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
This list actually made me go and download Florence. It was a nice little phone game, I'm glad I had that experience.

I do appreciate the variety of games covered here--lots of games I think won't get any recognition this year so it's nice to see some recognized here.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Some good choices on there. Obra Dinn, Into the Breach, and Celeste definitely belong in this year's top 10, Dead Cells probably, too. Minit isn't bad either.

Missing Spy Party though!

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Fantastic list. Putting innovation above production values. Respect it a lot more than the average "here's a ranking of game budgets in descending order which we call goty".

Wonder how they already played Gris.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I can't say I'm too invested in this debate, but if it's supposed to be a list of "Best 2018 Games" then excluding games that released in December 2018 seems to go against that idea. Releasing this list at the end of December or even in January would make more sense to me and I'm not sure why it has to be written now as opposed to then.
The average customer looks at these lists to get an idea for what to buy for Christmas.