• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
Not all Christians are like that, no, but the majority are, and the vast majority at the very least agree with enough of them to go along with them as we see constantly in their voting habits (and especially in the 2016 elections). The Christian landscape is completely dominated by the likes of TBN and the people in that ilk, with any alternatives being minimized and mostly regulated to small areas that don't reach a wide audience. The religious right completely took over the tide of Christianity in the country and made it radically right-wing, and honestly, anyone who thinks otherwise is kind of just fooling themselves. I know there are a lot of "good" Christians who are in denial about it, but it's stiflingly obvious if you actually take a step back and look at it objectively

The majority of Christians are people like you, who happen to also believe that Jesus died for their sins. I would recommend to stop listening to the vocal minority.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly true. I find it hard to respect people who are involved with the faith because anecdotal experience tells me they can be much bigger pieces of shit than secular people. This is causing some cognitive dissonance because I know there are some actual good religious folks. I guess its that that single-issue politics turning rational people into radical people.

You're right, and it's not right and not fair on some level, but on others...well, to be frank, a lot of Christians also allowed that to happened. Billy Graham was easily the most popular evangelical at one point, if not ever, and he was there as the dominionists were taking over. He could have spoken out against it, he could have rallied people around him, he could have at least brought awareness about it, but no, he just stood back and chocked back his words of distaste as the religious right became more radical and all those less popular than him were purged and minimized and the Pat Robertsons and Benny Hinns took complete control.

And while there are a lot of "good" Christians who are just ignorant and/or totally delusional about what their religion has become, there's a lot others who are just like Graham. They see what is happening, they see what is going on, but they either agree enough with some things or don't want to promote infighting or they fear their pews will empty out if they take on the bigwigs and what they spew. And just like Billy Graham's son, Franklin, emerged as a radical fascist, the next group of young Christians will be even more radical as they consume the garbage their elders dare not speak against.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sigh...why can't these people just admit that this guy is scum? How much more punishment and bad press do they need?
Because they're also scum. Just because they don't use words like "shithole" doesn't make them any better. You'd have to go pretty far down the line of succession to find anyone who would be much better than Trump on policy.

Oct 25, 2017
Not all Christians are like that, no, but the majority are, and the vast majority at the very least agree with enough of them to go along with them as we see constantly in their voting habits (and especially in the 2016 elections). The Christian landscape is completely dominated by the likes of TBN and the people in that ilk, with any alternatives being minimized and mostly regulated to small areas that don't reach a wide audience. The religious right completely took over the tide of Christianity in the country and made it radically right-wing, and honestly, anyone who thinks otherwise is kind of just fooling themselves. I know there are a lot of "good" Christians who are in denial about it, but it's stiflingly obvious if you actually take a step back and look at it objectively

I am well aware of the problems in the conservative Christian subculture, having grown up in it. I am equally well aware, having worked in a wide variety of churchs and with a wide variety of Christians, that there is far more to American Christianity than the people who consider Fox News and right-wing talk radio their Bible and preachers.

Honestly, this is a thread about an American church whose pastor openly criticized Trump's disparaging comments towards people of other nations and was applauded for it by his congregation. This is a very poor place to argue that American Christianity is unavoidably dominated by fascist Trump stooges.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am well aware of the problems in the conservative Christian subculture, having grown up in it. I am equally well aware, having worked in a wide variety of churchs and with a wide variety of Christians, that there is far more to American Christianity than the people who consider Fox News and right-wing talk radio their Bible and preachers.

Honestly, this is a thread about an American church whose pastor openly criticized Trump's disparaging comments towards people of other nations and was applauded for it by his congregation. This is a very poor place to argue that American Christianity is unavoidably dominated by fascist Trump stooges.

What I'm talking about predates Trump. Anyone who doesn't understand the radical fascist takeover of Christianity in America really doesn't know those problems as well as they think.

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
I've lived among Christians my entire life. They most certainly are not.

I also have lived among Christians my entire life. They are people with varied political and social views, who happen to believe in Jesus.

You can't be failing to notice the anecdotal nature of your argument here.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
White House response:

In their press briefing on Sunday, the White House said "whoever made such a statement" was wrong and should be held accountable, and said that Mr .Trump had felt "led by God" to speak up. Many of his constituents come from African nations, they said.

Worshippers stood and applauded.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also have lived among Christians my entire life. They are people with varied political and social views, who happen to believe in Jesus.

You can't be failing to notice the anecdotal nature of your argument here.

I mean, you literally just met anecdotal evidence with anecdotal evidence, so ya know. I mean, there's far more to what I'm talking about than that to begin with.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You dont have to go to church every Sunday to be religious.
You dont have to go to mass at all to be religious.
You dont have to know all the books of the bible either.

So a non-practicing and completely ignorant Christian, who doesn't follow any of its teachings - what exactly makes him religious, then?

I'm atheist but was baptized as a kid, am I religious? Can I get up in front of one of those wacky Christian colleges and quote bible verses for votes and you'd consider me religious? Is it that easy to trick you?

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, you literally just met anecdotal evidence with anecdotal evidence, so ya know. I mean, there's far more to what I'm talking about than that to begin with.

You are making a statement that the 'Majority of Christians' are part of the religious right, and attempting to say that statement is based in objectivity. You are doing this without providing any evidence that would be required when making an objective statement.

When pressed as to why you are making such a statement, you respond with anecdotal evidence. Why?

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm talking about predates Trump. Anyone who doesn't understand the radical fascist takeover of Christianity in America really doesn't know those problems as well as they think.

I am sorry that you appear to have had particularly poor experiences with Christians, and I apologize as a Christian for those people who profess to be Christians who have not treated you with the love and compassion of Jesus Christ. I pray that you will encounter Christians in your life who are able to demonstrate to you the radical power of Christ's mercy and grace.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kinda annoys me that the top of that Guardian article refers to "African Nations", I mean Haiti is in the Carribean, pretty damn far away from Africa.

Viera

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I am sorry that you appear to have had particularly poor experiences with Christians, and I apologize as a Christian for those people who profess to be Christians who have not treated you with the love and compassion of Jesus Christ. I pray that you will encounter Christians in your life who are able to demonstrate to you the radical power of Christ's mercy and grace.

If I ever get the urge to self-flagellate myself for being born female I'll hit you up

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are making a statement that the 'Majority of Christians' are part of the religious right, and attempting to say that statement is based in objectivity. You are doing this without providing any evidence that would be required when making an objective statement.

When pressed as to why you are making such a statement, you respond with anecdotal evidence. Why?

I already addressed this. Where do the majority of Christians vote? I also talk about the radical fascist leaders who have long co-oped the Christian hierarchy, etc. There you go. But keep it up all you want. The "good" Christianity is a strong thing to want to believe in, especially in America where the religion has become so radical.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lol, you can save that for someone else my man. What I am talking about is not exclusively my experience, as I detailed above. But if you want to ignore that and just put your head in the sand, I understand that choice as well. It's a hard reality to have to face to look at the raw face of what you consider your faith has become and go into 'feel-good Christ vibes,' I get that (and I mean that sincerely, not with any irony)

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So a non-practicing and completely ignorant Christian, who doesn't follow any of its teachings - what exactly makes him religious, then?

I'm atheist but was baptized as a kid, am I religious? Can I get up in front of one of those wacky Christian colleges and quote bible verses for votes and you'd consider me religious? Is it that easy to trick you?

Being religious is about your own relationship with god and spirituality. Nothing to do with books or services. Nothing to do with tricking me or anyone else.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pence is pretty much the perfect image of Christianity in America.
This is a lie, whether you're willing to accept it or not.

At best, you can say he's representative of evangelicals.

HFGGqlG.jpg

Z1zIrZI.jpg

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

You got to stop roleplaying Joel Osteen and start talking like a normal human being. This is a gaming forum, not a pulpit.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
It was absolute necessary for the pastor to call out Trump. Everything he does is contrary to Christianity (since I doubt he's very religious himself)

What makes a person religious? Probably prayer, belief, openness to worship (if you aren't attending church every week), etc.

Also, you're asking if you as an atheist are religious? That's pretty disingenuous because you know the answer to that.

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
I already addressed this. Where do the majority of Christians vote? I also talk about the radical fascist leaders who have long co-oped the Christian hierarchy, etc. There you go. But keep it up all you want. The "good" Christianity is a strong thing to want to believe in, especially in America where the religion has become so radical.

Where did you address it and with what evidence?
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/02/23/u-s-religious-groups-and-their-political-leanings/
Keep in mind that Pew Research is non-partisan and non-denominational.

Somewhat old data, but I doubt it would shift too dramatically. Take a look at the United Church of Christ, Baptist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, and Catholic numbers. They are either split down the middle, or they lean Democrat. Where is your evidence to support the contrary?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
What makes a person religious? Probably prayer, belief, openness to worship (if you aren't attending church every week), etc.

Also, you're asking if you as an atheist are religious? That's pretty disingenuous because you know the answer to that.

According to 36 Chambers you don't know what's in my heart, though. Maybe I only said I'm an atheist because I'm in the leathery clutches of SATAN himself! Help! This is me being religious!

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Simple, just like how you you can't be a vegan and eat meat, you can't be a Christian and be a supporter of Trump.

A Christian that actually follows the teaching of the Bible would not be able to reconcile the words and actions of Trump.
while this is an argument I also use there was always a caveat.

Some people can be religious and highly dangerous.

For example the nut jobs who want Israel destroyed to ensure the Rapture happens or the devout Muslims in ISIS.

Pence and evangelicals simply sold their souls to the devil so they don't count but it is prudent to keep the caveat in mind when judging whether someone is religious or not.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
I can think of no better way to celebrate MLK day than to make a crusty old white man uncomfortable because his power is gained through racism.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where did you address it and with what evidence?
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/02/23/u-s-religious-groups-and-their-political-leanings/
Keep in mind that Pew Research is non-partisan and non-denominational.

Somewhat old data, but I doubt it would shift too dramatically. Take a look at the United Church of Christ, Baptist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, and Catholic numbers. They are either split down the middle, or they lean Democrat. Where is your evidence to support the contrary?

Read my posts, I reference all of that. If you want resources a good start is American Fascists by Chris Hedges. And you can take a look at the major Christian networks like TBN, and who the primary leaders of the movement are, or hell, go read just about anything about the Regan revolution and how huge a role the radicalized religious right was, and then go to look at the voting habits of Christian voters, particularly 'evangelicals.'

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
And apparently Pence turned red aka got embarrassed from being basically confronted like this. He knows what vile shitstain Trump is and got really reminded of it by pastor right into his face, and reminded of his own failure to act.

I wonder if he daily struggles with his religion and beliefs, and serving someone as vile as Trump who goes against it all.
That's the rub. Pence uses his religious belief as a justification for his primary desire: to strip rights from people he disagrees with. He and trump are birds of a feather, regardless of the difference in their religious beliefs.

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
Read my posts, I reference all of that. If you want resources a good start is American Fascists by Chris Hedges. And you can take a look at the major Christian networks like TBN, and who the primary leaders of the movement are, or hell, go read just about anything about the Regan revolution and how huge a role the radicalized religious right was, and then go to look at the voting habits of Christian voters, particularly 'evangelicals.'

Evangelicals are represented in the data I provided to you. They are well known to lean Republican, but they are not representative of Christianity as a whole. Did you look at the data I presented or are you ignoring it since it doesn't fit your narrative?

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It shows you either haven't read anything I said, have deliberately ignored it, or are ignorant of the problems plaguing Christianity in America.
Nope. I've read and perfectly understand that you pretend to be basing your opinions on objective data but reject reliable data counter to your narrative when it's presented.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Evangelicals are represented in the data I provided to you. They are well known to lean Republican, but they are not representative of Christianity as a whole. Did you look at the data I presented or are you ignoring it since it doesn't fit your narrative?

I mean, you have basically ignored everything I've said including the vast majority of that statement except to zoom in on 'evangelicals' in a dismissive way despite the major voting power they have had since the 1980s. But yeah, bruh, let's talk about them narratives.

Lol, it's always the same with these topics. Christianity in America gets pointed out for what it has become, what it represents, and the people who drive it, and there's the defense of the 'good' Christian who of course isn't bad and blah, as if it's being said that every single Christian is a horrible piece of shit, which of course is not being said at all, and all it does is serve as a big deflection. So it's whatever. Everyone can go to heaven, let's hope.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Jesus and Trump had a conversation.

Jesus: For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.
Trump: I'm tremendously humble. The most humble man you'll ever meet.