• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you have basically ignored everything I've said including the vast majority of that statement except to zoom in on 'evangelicals' in a dismissive way despite the major voting power they have had since the 1980s. But yeah, bruh, let's talk about them narratives.

Lol, it's always the same with these topics. Christianity in America gets pointed out for what it has become, what it represents, and the people who drive it, and there's the defense of the 'good' Christian who of course isn't bad and blah, as if it's being said that every single Christian is a horrible piece of shit, which of course is not being said at all, and all it does is serve as a big deflection. So it's whatever. Everyone can go to heaven, let's hope.
This is a strawman.

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, you have basically ignored everything I've said including the vast majority of that statement except to zoom in on 'evangelicals' in a dismissive way despite the major voting power they have had since the 1980s. But yeah, bruh, let's talk about them narratives.

Lol, it's always the same with these topics. Christianity in America gets pointed out for what it has become, what it represents, and the people who drive it, and there's the defense of the 'good' Christian who of course isn't bad and blah, as if it's being said that every single Christian is a horrible piece of shit, which of course is not being said at all, and all it does is serve as a big deflection. So it's whatever. Everyone can go to heaven, let's hope.

If you are going to comment on Christianity as a whole, then you should base your comments on Christianity as a whole, and not point a huge arrow at Evangelicals while ignoring everything else. That is not objective, it is biased and frankly not arguing in good faith.

If you said 'Evangelicals in America' I wouldn't have batted an eyebrow.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I happen to agree with what he said. Even if it is a gaming forum is one not allowed to express his/her sincere belief.
Not when the Atheist edgelords are about.
What does an atheist meme "talk like"?

Please be as specific in your answer as Jesus Christ is radically powerful.

I never understand people who feel the need to go into threads on religion to just straight up act like an asshole.

Like, what are you even getting out of this? I dont even know what youre getting at with the bolded.

You do you man. You keep clownin them religious folks!

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you are going to comment on Christianity as a whole, then you should base your comments on Christianity as a whole, and not point a huge arrow at Evangelicals while ignoring everything else. That is not objective, it is biased and frankly not arguing in good faith.

If you said 'Evangelicals in America' I wouldn't have batted an eyebrow.
Yup. Words matter. Labels matter. Misrepresentations like this only further propagate the stereotypes that dogmatic fanatical evangelicals use to radicalize congregations into hate filled mobs.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Christianity is that it has been perverted and manipulated by politicians and evangelists to further their own agendas and greed.

the-expulsion-from-the-temple-1.jpg

^If Jesus walked into the New York Stock Exchange and did this today, he'd be arrested and called a liberal terrorist.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I happen to agree with what he said. Even if it is a gaming forum is one not allowed to express his/her sincere belief.

A sermon is a performance, and responding to people with a performance is pretty insincere.

And if people believe that Trump is religious simply because he said it one time and nothing he says or does before or after to contradict that claim matters because "only God knows", that's also pretty disingenuous. By that logic everything and everyone is religious even if they claim they're not, because it apparently has nothing to do with adherence to a religion.

It's fallacious "God can be anything and he works in mysterious ways so therefore I'm right you're wrong" stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Christians should be critical of Trump given his words and actions. He in no way represents Christian values and about the only reason you could choose him over Clinton is if you are a one issue voter on the issue of abortion and you are simply going to vote for whichever Republican is nominated. Now that is still terrible logic.

I think the reasons many Christians voted for him have nothing to do with Christianity, and simply their own selfish political views, which are likely contradictory to their faith.

In my experience many Christians supported Cruz or Bush until Trump was the only choice. And there was debate among Christians regarding supporting Trump, they could clearly see how he is the last person who should get their support, but they didn't want to support Hillary or a Democrat. So they come up with excuses such as "it's for the greater good" "God works in mysterious ways" "sometimes God usues evil people to do his will".. etc.

Why go through these mental gymnastics over just abortion? Well it has to be more than that, the people who support him supported him for un-Christian reasons and they should just admit it.

Also it should be pointed out that there are many Christians that voted for Hillary, and are pro same sex marriage, pro-choice etc.. but they aren't as fun to talk about.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
According to 36 Chambers you don't know what's in my heart, though. Maybe I only said I'm an atheist because I'm in the leathery clutches of SATAN himself! Help! This is me being religious!
What does an atheist meme "talk like"?

Please be as specific in your answer as Jesus Christ is radically powerful.
You can make your points without resorting to mockery:
A sermon is a performance, and responding to people with a performance is pretty insincere.

And if people believe that Trump is religious simply because he said it one time and nothing he says or does before or after to contradict that claim matters because "only God knows", that's also pretty disingenuous. By that logic everything and everyone is religious even if they claim they're not, because it apparently has nothing to do with adherence to a religion.

It's fallacious "God can be anything and he works in mysterious ways so therefore I'm right you're wrong" stuff.
Like this. More of this, less of the other posts okay? Thanks.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Hahaha, Pence went to a church.

In PG county.

On MLK weekend.

After Trump called African countries "shitholes".

He was just asking for trouble.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Christians really think only "good" people can be Christians? You guys do know the bible advocates terrible things like kicking your wife out of the house during her period and says a woman can't teach a man. Its ok there are bad atheists too, but lets not pretend the bible only advocates peace and love just because it says it does, when it clearly doesn't

mclaren777

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Christians really think only "good" people can be Christians?

Nope. I would imagine that every true Christian understands Romans 3 quite well...

Are we Jews then a march ahead of other men? By no means. For I have shown above that all men from Jews to Greeks are under the condemnation of sin. The scriptures endorse this fact plainly enough. 'There is none righteous, no, not one; there is none who understands; there is none who seeks after God. They have all gone out of the way; they have together become unprofitable; there is none who does good, no, not one'.

We know what the message of the Law is, to those who live under it — that every excuse may die on the lips of him who makes it and no living man may think himself beyond the judgment of God. No man can justify himself before God by a perfect performance of the Law's demands — indeed it is the straight-edge of the Law that shows us how crooked we are.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They can go to church and read their bibles as often as possible and pray all they'd like and call themselves Evangelicals.

Christian is to be like Christ and those who make no attempt to follow the ways of Christ can call themselves something that's not "Christian". I believe them when they say they are evangelicals, but to say they are Christian is a lie to themselves.