• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Synthesis in it's current form is worse than all the other content that's available in the game right now. GGG definitely need to rework a lot of it before introducing anything into the core game.
I don't think I agree. I like doing Synthesis more than Incursions, even though I'll never get through all the bosses or whatever.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is anybody else surprised at how much effort it takes to get to the betrayal boss? I've played hundreds of hours over the last two leagues and haven't seen a boss even one time, and I have almost all of the betrayal crafts. I've already beaten the Cortex boss twice and I've hardly touched synthesis.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
^^ I'm 99% sure they don't.

EDIT: Also, just wanna say it seems impossible to roll 3 reds and a blue from an exclusively int based item. I saw one roll with no blues (3 greens and a red) but otherwise the most reds I had was 2... in about 300 attempts (because why not).

Aw I had a feeling double Efficacy Support was too good to be true.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

EDIT: Also, just wanna say it seems impossible to roll 3 reds and a blue from an exclusively int based item. I saw one roll with no blues (3 greens and a red) but otherwise the most reds I had was 2... in about 300 attempts (because why not).
I'll help you get the colors if you want!

SurfinnIce

In game name

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

If you're still SSF, you'll need to try this with the vorici trick. Basically, roll the item as a 2s with two off colors you need (2r in this case). Then, craft the 3s recipe. This does not change the first two sockets, but adds a third socket of a random color (more likely to be blue on an int item of course). If that does not roll the color you need, craft 2s on it again. This leaves the first 2 sockets alone and removes the third.

Repeat this until you get a third red socket, then craft the 4s recipe. This is the most expensive one, so save your "item appropriate" color for the last socket you need. If, by bad luck, this one rolls an off color, craft 3s and try again.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I'll help you get the colors if you want!

SurfinnIce

In game name
Thanks for the offer, but I'm on PS4 and SSF. :(

If you're still SSF, you'll need to try this with the vorici trick. Basically, roll the item as a 2s with two off colors you need (2r in this case). Then, craft the 3s recipe. This does not change the first two sockets, but adds a third socket of a random color (more likely to be blue on an int item of course). If that does not roll the color you need, craft 2s on it again. This leaves the first 2 sockets alone and removes the third.

Repeat this until you get a third red socket, then craft the 4s recipe. This is the most expensive one, so save your "item appropriate" color for the last socket you need. If, by bad luck, this one rolls an off color, craft 3s and try again.
Nice, thanks I'll give this a try later.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I agree. I like doing Synthesis more than Incursions, even though I'll never get through all the bosses or whatever.

Incursions feel more integrated than Synthesis to me. They can show up during maps and add a bit of value to the run. Now and then it gives you a free map with some 'guaranteed' rewards. It doesn't require you to move away from progressing in the Atlas like Synthesis and Delve does. Between those two Delve is a lot more well developed.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty close to the order I do things, but not quite 100%. I follow the order Havoc does in his 5:03:48 level 80 run. I'll put a link at the bottom of this post. I use it as a reference for when I forget the order I'm supposed to do something in. I've learned a ton by watching Havocs run.

For example, in Act 6 I was taking the wrong base helmet from the quest that gives you four link helmets. You want to take the Dex base, and try to roll GGGB. That is for your herald of ice, ice bite, onslaught, and innervate setup. Gives you free frenzy charges and more damage. Then, you use ice bite on your storm brand instead of onslaught. At some point you will be freezing every pack or nearly every pack. Which means you will have frenzy charges, innervate, and onslaught up nearly permanently.

Also, in Act 6 you do the twighlight strand quest so that Lily will sell you gems. Once I kill Shavronne I do that quest, and buy innervate, ice bite x 2, cast when damage taken, and immortal call. Then, I get the dex helmet 4 link from one of the quests you have completed on your way to Shavronne. I try and roll the links, and add the gems in the helmet as a safety measure. That way I can't accidentally sell it.

Another small thing is the order of operations right before I head to Dominus. Once I enter the imperial gardens I get the wp, get the trial, logout, in town I enter the asiprants plaza, grab that wp, and then go back to imperial gardens. You do this here so that once you get to crystal veins wp you can go straight to normal lab. Tons of small details like this you will see in Havocs run.

I used to hate leveling, but it's really fun trying to beat my times now. I already hit my goal of 3:45 to aqueducts, and now I'm going to try and see if I can get under 3:30.

Edit: Here's a pastebin link for path of building you can use if you want to see what order he takes skill points.

https://pastebin.com/TH7BFvmi

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Loving the skill system in this game. I love experimenting, figuring stuff out and concocting new strategies to bring the pain to these monsters. At the moment my load out is as follows:

-Firestorm + Energy Leech + Unleash + Summon Phantasm on Kill Support so it triple casts raining fire from the sky, tops up my energy shield and spawns minions from enemies it kills.

-Arc zaps everything even into rooms and around corners + Controlled Destruction for damage + Decay Support to leave anything alive with a nasty DOT. Chain lightning is always a winner.

-Lighting Golem + Minion Damage Support + Minion Speed Support

If anything is left alive after that I move onto the phase two before circling back:

-Bane + Despair for two curses for the price of one.

-Contagion + Increased Area Support + Unbound Ailments Support + Efficacy Support

If anything gets close then:

Vortex + Increased Critical Strikes Support

And top it off with Zealotry aura

Made a vid of my fight with act 7 (or 8?) final boss:

Also finally left the petticoat behind. Took 60 levels but got there in the end!

Last edited:

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I will make some changes to my order. My first 3 act time was bad and now I know why.

Also finally left the petticoat behind. Took 60 levels but got there in the end!

C'mon dude level up your character, you seem to have 10 unallocated level point
Experimenting is great, but you seem to have too many spells and not the best support gems combination
Hum ... and no movement skill?

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
C'mon dude level up your character, you seem to have 10 unallocated level point
Experimenting is great, but you seem to have too many spells and not the best support gems combination
Hum ... and no movement skill?

??
Pretty much everything I've encountered is dying super quickly so I'm not really seeing the panic. I'll use those points when I need them.

I'm really cautious with using my passive skill points and it takes a while looking at the grid and making the decisions so I save them up and do it all in one go.

I'm looking to add a defensive/movement skill next actually.

As I said, I'm enjoying experimenting and it's still a work in progress. It's working fine and what I do with my character doesn't affect anyone else right now so I don't know why you are freaking out...

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
??
Pretty much everything I've encountered is dying super quickly so I'm not really seeing the panic. I'll use those points when I need them.

I'm really cautious with using my passive skill points and it takes a while looking at the grid and making the decisions so I save them up and do it all in one go.

As I said, I'm enjoying experimenting and it's still a work in progress. It's working fine and what I do with my character doesn't affect anyone else right now so I don't know why you are freaking out...
You're going to run into trouble when you get to maps if you've built toward the array of skills you posted. You have a mix of multiple elements, chaos DoTs, and minions. Your damage is likely to fall off hard as you progress to the later acts.

If you're not following a build guide, you should check some out to figure out how to build a character that can make it to deep maps. Good rules of thumb:
Prioritize life/ES
Focus on one skill or damage archetype
Select a skill that works well with your ascendancy

No one is freaking out. You're using a random grab bag of skills that don't seem to synergize, you're running around with unused passives (which could greatly increase your survivability or damage), and you don't have a movement skill (which means you're leaving a lot of efficiency on the table).

Don't be so defensive when you get good advice. I ruined the hell out of my first character, and it was a good learning experience.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
You're going to run into trouble when you get to maps if you've built toward the array of skills you posted. You have a mix of multiple elements, chaos DoTs, and minions. Your damage is likely to fall off hard as you progress to the later acts.

If you're not following a build guide, you should check some out to figure out how to build a character that can make it to deep maps. Good rules of thumb:
Prioritize life/ES
Focus on one skill or damage archetype
Select a skill that works well with your ascendancy

No one is freaking out. You're using a random grab bag of skills that don't seem to synergize, you're running around with unused passives (which could greatly increase your survivability or damage), and you don't have a movement skill (which means you're leaving a lot of efficiency on the table).

Don't be so defensive when you get good advice. I ruined the hell out of my first character, and it was a good learning experience.

Well, the poster I was responding to certainly seems agitated about it. Not sure why I would care about unused passives right now when nothing is coming close to killing me and everything dies pretty much straight away. They're not going anywhere and my knowledge of where they are needed only increases with time. There is nothing to stop me swapping all these skills out anytime if I need to move towards something more synergised. When I need a movement skill I'll add it.

Well, thanks for the advice I guess but you guys are judging like I'm in a race or something or my build is affecting other players when it's literally just experimenting exactly as I said.

Last edited:

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
??

Well, the poster I was responding to certainly seems agitated about it. Not sure why I would care about unused passives right now when nothing is coming close to killing me and everything dies pretty much straight away. They're not going anywhere and my knowledge of where they are needed only increases with time. There is nothing to stop me swapping all these skills out anytime if I need to move towards something more synergised. When I need a movement skill I'll add it.

Well, thanks for the advice I guess but you guys are judging like I'm in a race or something or my build is affecting other players when it's literally just experimenting with exactly stuff as I said.
They are just trying to save you some headaches in the future as your character progresses. Experiment and play at your own pace, and try to learn the mechanics as best as you can. In the beginning it's probably best to just enjoy the game doing whatever you want. Just be warned though PoE will absolutely punish bad/unoptimized builds after a certain point. It's also not so easy to respec out of a bad build, and in most cases it's easier to just start a brand new character then to respec.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New League tomorrow, I am personally hyped as fuck because pretty much most of the type of builds and classes that I play are to be touched in it.

Any last minute predictions in here?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The reveal, information and trailer.

Actual league releases in early June.

Here are my predictions for it:

ASCENDANCY BALANCE

*Berserker reworked, most notably how the Rage mechanic works.

*Slayer rework/buff. They might put more incentive on the 2H fantasy of Slayer.

*Raider buffs. Faster and harder hitting, better bonuses from dodge/evasion. Maybe even a 4th new line.

*Gladiator and Champion small buffs/changes.

*Assassin buffs. This one is a long shot though.

*No changes to Trickster/Occultist/Elementalist.

ITEM BALANCE

*2H melee weapon buffs.

*Melee weapons have better implicit on more bases.

*Better stats while leveling.

*Some older uniques being buffed that are related to attack based builds. I expect many of them to at least get a pDPS increase to make them somewhat competitive.

*I don't expect big item nerfs in the upcoming patch. There is no item except Eternity Shroud on Trickster that is over performing more than usual.

SKILLS CHANGES

*Definitely expect like 4-6 new skills that are attack based themed. Support and active.

*Rework Life Leech and Sweep gems.

*Rework trigger gems like Riposte.

*Rework Punishment aura.

*Accuracy gem changed/buffed?

*Buff damage numbers on namelock skills and buff AOE/usability on other lesser used skills.

*Cyclone now actually controls like it always should have.

*More QoL changes on gems like less duration per level on Earthquake.

*I can only see Winter Orb getting nerfed really.

TREE CHANGES

*Nodes that give Melee splash.

*More Nodes that give area to attack.

*Better bonuses from Blood magic

*Resolute technique buffs?

*Crimson Dance and bleed buffs.

*More Nodes that allow for leech of life and mana through attacks

*More quality of life nodes.

*Big buffs to lesser used weapon wheels or new wheels entirely like they did with spells.

*More Life available on bottom right side of tree.

*More ways to generate frenzy and endurance charges from tree.

RANDOM CHANGES

*Armour damage reduction changed so its better against bigger hits and actually worth getting as a defensive layer like ES.

*Accuracy changes/rework.

*Bleed and leech changes.

*More incentives to go physical and/or non crit.

*More layers of defense available to attack based and life builds.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think the idea of pure single target melee needs to disappear. There is no equivalent for spells and it's one of the main reasons spells are smoother to play, alongside the ranged nature of spells of course. Melee splash should just be a thing, as in let every melee skill have some sort of area (change the shape and size based on the skill).

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea of pure single target melee needs to disappear. There is no equivalent for spells and it's one of the main reasons spells are smoother to play, alongside the ranged nature of spells of course. Melee splash should just be a thing, as in let every melee skill have some sort of area (change the shape and size based on the skill).
I would be genuinely ok with this. It's this or have more sources of Melee splash on the tree.

To make Namelock single target melee skills playable in PoE for mapping these days is to have Melee Splash, Multistrike, Ancestral Call combined with some corpse explosion like Bleed explosion. Imagine using Blade Vortex but 3 of your gems had to be gems that you need to increase your clear speed and only 2 of your gems were full DPS increases...

That said I think a couple of namelock skills can remain. Infernal Blow has a built in explosion so you need less investment for clear. Double Strike has insane single target damage.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
It's Carnage league, putting my money on it. all 0 dollars of it. Bex got too smart for her own good and tried the double fakeout by namedropping carnage.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've not even considered melee, simply because of the way PoE chucks mobs at you, is melee actually going to be a viable option, or fun in the next league?, I am not 100% convinced......

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
They are just trying to save you some headaches in the future as your character progresses. Experiment and play at your own pace, and try to learn the mechanics as best as you can. In the beginning it's probably best to just enjoy the game doing whatever you want. Just be warned though PoE will absolutely punish bad/unoptimized builds after a certain point. It's also not so easy to respec out of a bad build, and in most cases it's easier to just start a brand new character then to respec.

Yeah, that's what I am doing. Thanks for the heads up; I'll bear that in mind.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be down for some kind of cyclone build in the next league, loved whirlwind in D3 it felt so satisfying to play.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'll probably start with a melee champion if melee seems strong enough and some other ascendancy doesn't get some crazy buffs.

If they somehow fix Slayer that would be cool.

I don't even know what they could do to Berserker to fix it but I'd be down.

If the buffs don't seem impressive enough I'm gonna roll a cold DoT character for league start (trickster or occultist ofc) and possibly respec to WO if it doesn't get nerfed.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
if Ancestral Warchief gets the activation time removed I'd play AW Champion.

Most tanky character ever lol.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's in the bottom side of the skill tree, I will probably start with a Divine Ire's Trickster and only after a melee character with tons of uniques items to smoothen the experience.
I hope that the price of spell caster stuff will be lower since everyone will be melee

I'm waiting for the new supporter pack, not a big fan of the ones currently available

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
I've played it casually for years but just recently dug in a bit deeper with the PS4 release.

What's truly incredible about this game is how exquisite the progression is. I don't read much info about the game or refer to any guides or build advice, I just experiment. Going through the acts and then starting over with a new character with new experiments is such a blast. There's just so much to try and figure out. My only complaint is the mystery of what just one shotted me- I'm fine 99% of the time, then a boss or a mob will squish me without any info on what kind of damage got me or any other detail. I get that more life and resistance is always a good idea, but it seems to happen regardless of if I primarily focus on those in the passive tree and gear or if I just kind of keep those reasonably high. I'm currently playing an ES build but I still get one shotted just as much as my previous build which was Melee Splash + tons of life and resistances.

The soundtrack is wonderful, it's one of my all time favorites.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
I've played it casually for years but just recently dug in a bit deeper with the PS4 release.

What's truly incredible about this game is how exquisite the progression is. I don't read much info about the game or refer to any guides or build advice, I just experiment. Going through the acts and then starting over with a new character with new experiments is such a blast. There's just so much to try and figure out. My only complaint is the mystery of what just one shotted me- I'm fine 99% of the time, then a boss or a mob will squish me without any info on what kind of damage got me or any other detail. I get that more life and resistance is always a good idea, but it seems to happen regardless of if I primarily focus on those in the passive tree and gear or if I just kind of keep those reasonably high. I'm currently playing an ES build but I still get one shotted just as much as my previous build which was Melee Splash + tons of life and resistances.

The soundtrack is wonderful, it's one of my all time favorites.
The game is built around one shot mechanics. Having one layer of defense is generally not enough. You need multiple layers of defense to survive one shot mechanics, and sometimes that's not enough. How much ES do you have?

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Melee is already viable and can do all content in the game, so yes?
Uh, technically yes but I believe the stat stick nerf and nerfing of the only real meta melee skills that see play finally pushed it to the point where you're very handicapped playing any build, Melee tag or otherwise, that depends on melee weapons for damage scaling. Spells get so much damage just from leveling their gems while weapons struggle to keep up without expensive crafting or trading for a decent unique. Even during acts you will at least need to transmute craft your weapons especially if you're playing a two-handed weapon.

*Berserker reworked, most notably how the Rage mechanic works.
I don't expect a lot of what you predict under skill changes, tree changes, and random changes, but this bit in particular is already confirmed to not be happening because Bex had stated that Berserker was only going to receive "minor changes".

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
The game is built around one shot mechanics. Having one layer of defense is generally not enough. You need multiple layers of defense to survive one shot mechanics, and sometimes that's not enough. How much ES do you have?

I think it's around 500 but I'm halfway through this run so it's not indicative of much, but that is the stat that I've been going for on the passive tree and loading up on in my gear, so relatively high for where I'm at I would think. I do have very weak armor and evade. I suppose a good question is, is there a default 'every build' kind of way to approach defensive stats? Which permutation of defensive stats provides the most overall survivability?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What are the good CoDT setups? Is it still IC and MS?

Hit 70 on my Soulrend character and he can get a little squishy. Need more uniques to be honest but I need to learn more about the good defensive options I can use with skillgems.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
What are the good CoDT setups? Is it still IC and MS?

Hit 70 on my Soulrend character and he can get a little squishy. Need more uniques to be honest but I need to learn more about the good defensive options I can use with skillgems.

Maybe you don't, uniques in this game are very use-specific
Are following a build guide?
Is your profile public? A competent exile can/will review your character
PC, console?

I'm going to play Sekiro, I'm afraid of the giant white Ape :(

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Molten Strike/Tectonic Slam Jugg and Blade Flurry/Double Strike/Frost Blade Champion are pretty damn good melee builds.

But the issue is that now spell casters are tankier than melee classes which is lame. All except Juggernaut maybe. Melee classes need to play Champion so they can play high damaging crit builds due to Accuracy issues.