• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For me this fundamentally fixed some of the many issues I have had with PoE since I started playing the game. It's also one of the reasons it was difficult to recommend to other people.

You don't really see this issues if you are playing like spells/traps/totems but when you are playing Melee most of these issues hit you like a truck. It takes until mid mapping for melee to start feeling good and by that time most new players have quit the game.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
"Passives in radius are conquered by the Vaal" < any idea what this means? Some kind of corruption on covered nodes augmenting the values?

EDIT: Ooh, I have the Friday of console launch week off of work. Result!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"Passives in radius are conquered by the Vaal" < any idea what this means? Some kind of corruption on covered nodes augmenting the values?

EDIT: Ooh, I have the Friday of console launch week off of work. Result!
The passives in the radius are changed by the jewel. We don't know what they are yet.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Really good looking changes. I especially like the instant movement skills.

On other hand I'm tempted to make my first serious melee build ever.

On other hand I know my Soul Eater GMP Solar Guard spectres would obliterate the league content and that could be fun too. But summoners haven't changed in ages so maybe I'll try melee.

Last edited:

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More wind up and hit harder, that's what we needed cause I didn't rip to lag and freezing a million times already especially syndicate lol.
Blood/sand stance, let me guess, the number of hotkeys is the same.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
0n267dvfxoz21.jpg

Sweep definitely getting reworked. Seems like it might be tied to the Blood/Sand stance.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know there is much we don't know about legion, but, for a first foray into melee in PoE, what sort of starter build should I be looking at.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melee looks fine but I know I won't be touching it, playing FOTM is always a mistake.
I'll probably try bane and soulrend if they don't massacre them. Or winter orb lol.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will make melee less boring to level?
That's their main objective with this league.

I know there is much we don't know about legion, but, for a first foray into melee in PoE, what sort of starter build should I be looking at.
IMO Tectonic Slam Juggernaut is the best starter melee build one should try at this stage of the game. It checks all the boxes:

*Build mostly is situated in the bottom left side of the tree making it intuitive to level up.
*Combines very straight forward synergy of Endurance Charge generation of Juggernaut with the Endurance Charge requirement of Tectonic Slam.
*Being Juggernaut and Endurance Charge based means you are tanky and have sustain through life regeneration. Armor, high life, life regeneration = good for starter.
*Allows you to scale damage with just unique weapons. You can use Razor of the Seventh Sun if you want to go cheap and allows you to get full elemental conversion (which is good in this game).
*Because Juggernaut has a lot of Accuracy and Attack speed, the build feels very good by default and you can also go Crit. You have option to go Crit or Elemental Overload as EO isn't too far away from where you need to be pathing.
*Great for doing Uber Lab.
*Insane AOE for a melee build, destroys maps.
*Good single target, occasionally you will get lucky and just consume a bunch of Endurance Charges and chunk bosses.
*Pretty much all of the gems you need for the build are red which means gearing is straight forward. Get a bunch of Armor bases and a lot of life. Again, this is intuitive to level and gear up.
*Can scale higher with more expensive gear if you want to but it can take on all content in the game so you don't even need to.
*Can even use Onigoroshi for a cheap 6 link option.

My other favorite Melee builds include:

*Elemental Cyclone build (Slayer, Raider, Scion). Nghamu Axe fireballs based is pretty popular and tried and true. Can also use Voidforge instead and scale physical damage.
*Frostblade Champion/Raider. Fast, insane clear speed for a melee build and pretty fun to play. Champion for more damage/defense, Raider for more speed.
*Molten Strike Juggernaut. Super tanky, decent clear speed but instant bossing capability.
*Reave/Blade Flurry Champion. With a couple of gem swaps you can have both insane single target and great AOE map clearing potential.
*Concentrated Path Chieftain/Juggernaut. Solid and effective build with good built in movement for AOE map clearing and decent single target damage.

Pending buffs, these melee skills would be worth looking into:

*Sunder used to be the Tectonic Slam of old, same for Ground Slam. If these skills get buffs then they could be worth using again. Vaal Ground Slam is VERY fun to use and I have used it to even stun Uber Elder!
*Earthquake used to be a meta a while back until they gutted its AOE and nerfed damage (and not really kept up since them). Plus various other changes to meta made 2H worse and worse. EQ seems in a better spot going into 3.7 for various reasons so definitely worth looking into but needs less duration and better AOE to be worth using again.
*Cleave allows anyone to have perma fortify up (using the Unique Cleave jewel) without putting it on movement skills. With buffs on Cleave through melee patch, this could be worth using again. This is like a tankier version of Reave/Blade Flurry build.
*Infernal Blow now effectively having melee splash like most melee numlock skills would make it more fun to use. With some single target damage boost this could be a really fun melee skill to use.
*Lightning Strike is alright but has a HUGE issue with pathing and targeting versus terrain. With pathfinding being improved in 3.7 and buffs, this skill could be something that could replace Frost Blades. However, this has always hardly been a melee skill as you pretty much just scale projectile damage with it.
*Double Strike and Lacerate for bleed builds if bleed is improved. Double Strike already has insane single target (and can now hit multiple targets) and Lacerate is in general a very solid melee skill by default.
*Flicker Strike people talk up but it's always up to player preference since it can cause headaches. It has always been an insane clear speed skill though if you are into that sort of stuff.
*Wild Strike is a fun multi elemental build to use instead of Frost Blade in most cases. Great clear speed but lacking in single target damage usually.
*Sweep is getting reworked but this was basically the 2H version of Reave... only much worse. When GGG reworks a skill, they usually go ham so this one is worth keeping an eye on.

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's their main objective with this league.

IMO Tectonic Slam Juggernaut is the best starter melee build one should try at this stage of the game. It checks all the boxes:

*Build mostly is situated in the bottom left side of the tree making it intuitive to level up.
*Combines very straight forward synergy of Endurance Charge generation of Juggernaut with the Endurance Charge requirement of Tectonic Slam.
*Being Juggernaut and Endurance Charge based means you are tanky and have sustain through life regeneration. Armor, high life, life regeneration = good for starter.
*Allows you to scale damage with just unique weapons. You can use Razor of the Seventh Sun if you want to go cheap and allows you to get full elemental conversion (which is good in this game).
*Because Juggernaut has a lot of Accuracy and Attack speed, the build feels very good by default and you can also go Crit. You have option to go Crit or Elemental Overload as EO isn't too far away from where you need to be pathing.
*Great for doing Uber Lab.
*Insane AOE for a melee build, destroys maps.
*Good single target, occasionally you will get lucky and just consume a bunch of Endurance Charges and chunk bosses.
*Pretty much all of the gems you need for the build are red which means gearing is straight forward. Get a bunch of Armor bases and a lot of life. Again, this is intuitive to level and gear up.
*Can scale higher with more expensive gear if you want to but it can take on all content in the game so you don't even need to.
*Can even use Onigoroshi for a cheap 6 link option.
Thank you!

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Cautiously optimistic, the horrendous console launch made me hate and skip syndicate for the most part.

All the changes seem great tho and the league looks like some much needed dumb fun, even if it's basically breach 2.0.

Really need to see the skill changes tho since this league changes almost all my favorite skills in the game, i'm specifically interested in seeing the changes to Viper Strike, Heavy Strike, Cleave (and fortify by extension) and Glacial Hammer.

I hate having to wait lol

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
There is no one default defense in PoE. It's all build dependent, but in general you want as much life or energy shield as you can get. Generally speaking most people will not go ES until they hit later levels like 65+. There are a bunch of reasons for this, but the most important one is that it's much easier to level a life character then an ES one. ES is nice to have while leveling, but not something I would focus on. I would just focus on getting life and resists on gear, and then getting life nodes on the tree that I'm close to. My suggestion would be to either follow a build or look at a few to see how they go about the skill tree. What skill are you using?

I'm using elemental skills and Shield Charge. I use Lightning Ball with Decay support then I chase after it with a Shield Charge, and at the end of that I use Flame Blast (I think that's it, the instant one not the channeling one) to clean up or repeat. I have the passive skill that reduces resists of a particular element when hit by a different element. I experimented with different gear with different defense stats last night and learned a lot.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I'll probably make my first jugg in the coming league. It's finally time to return to melee :D

BumperLips

Dec 2, 2017
Has there been any info in regards to 2Hs? Maybe in the Baecast?

It'll definitely feel better with the new movement skills, but I still wanted to see some change/buff to them.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
I think the animation stuff is going to have as big of an impact on the game as lockstep did. It's going to be huge. Haven't been this hyped for a league in while. Most likely going to make a build for every melee skill starting with cyclone.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm probably going to roll a Vortex/Cold Snap CI occultist unless it cops a nerf. Relatively gear independent, should be cheap to gear since it's not meta.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm probably going to roll a Vortex/Cold Snap CI occultist unless it cops a nerf. Relatively gear independent, should be cheap to gear since it's not meta.
Best build I've ever played, hands down. It's not a clear speed meta but it's still very respectable. It's tanky as fuck though and can do literally anything and even ele reflect if you want to, though I just roll over it.

The versatility is just mind boggling. I'm at the point where I don't die to Uber Elder anymore. I could probably die but it would take some bad luck or lag honestly.

It's pretty expensive for endgame unique items (my shield was 20ex, ammy is 20 ex), but you don't need them to be successful and take down all content comfortably.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
I'm most looking forward to those low level movement abilities. The early game is sooooo slow compared to mid-late game.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm most looking forward to those low level movement abilities. The early game is sooooo slow compared to mid-late game.
It's too bad they've already said these movement skills won't be faster than walking when chained.

Hopefully they give us some more options for attack or cast speed at lower levels to make us zoomy.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They are giving Dash for attack builds and a new Caster movement skill early on.

But its not going to help much, base movement speed is still fairly slow.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Best movement speed at early level is, and probably going to continue being, having 4 Quicksilver Flask q:

I am excited to see what they are going to do with Earthquake and Wild Strike.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's corrupted Keystone.
There will be something else there when there's no Vaal Legion Jewel

And the cluster (?) over that Keystone is new/wasn't there before
I know It's a corrupted key stone... I am saying what was old MoM? Is now corrupted to be a brand new key stone with the jewel.

Also new amulet that is SRS themed:

jn0nx0t9fuz21.jpg

Surprisingly more summoner love in this patch than I thought.

This is build defining because you can combine this with Minion Instability to blow up a lot of SRS.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I know It's a corrupted key stone... I am saying what was old MoM? Is now corrupted to be a brand new key stone with the jewel.

Do you know what's over that keystone?

The expansion will also add unique jewels from each civilization. These are extremely hard to get and quite rare, but they offer amazing changes to your passives tree.

Every jewel can end up scrambling your passives tree a certain way. The clue is a particular "seed number" when you read the jewel's description. It would say something along the lines of: "A battle occurred in year <X>," where X is the seed number itself. Each seed has different effects for particular sections of the passives tree. I've been told that there are thousands of possible results, and you'll just have to trade to get the type of effects/seed number that you want.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/path-of-exile-legion-expansion/2/

At least they are sincere this time around. Cough onslaught boot, cough, cough

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was Mind over Matter but it doesn't have the 3 minor nodes after it. The language and the text of the new nodes makes it seem like a corrupted version of Zealots Oath.

So two theories on this:

*The old node was Mind Over Matter and the corruption not only changed MoM to a new key stone but deleted the minor nodes after it.

*They changed around the passive tree and where they used to have Mind Over Matter they now have Zealous Oath. So Zealous Oath is the more that is being corrupted into a new Key stone.

I am leaning more towards theory#2.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense, MoM was too easy for builds to splash for and the solution would be to make it harder to obtain/harder to make worthwhile for builds coming from the right side (i.e. trickster ).

Looks like they've change the inc mana wheel that was behind it to be a mana/es hybrid wheel too.

E: Actually looks like EE got transformed to the same keystone too so maybe it does change up the connecting stuff? also implies you can stack these? or maybe that's the drawback for using them?

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
MoM was fine for me personally but what was an issue was for life based builds Phase Acrobatics + MoM was just really easy defenses. If MoM was further away from Phase Acrobatics then that would be more balanced. That's probably their thinking if they swapped ZO with MoM.

Also Bladestorm preview:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2507482

Sand Stance while using Bladestorm: More AOE, leaves sand AOE that damages, blinds and travels forward for more coverage. Also gives more movement speed.
Blood Stance while using Bladestorm: Less AOE but more attack speed and bleeds enemies.

New Reserved Aura Flesh And Stone (25%) that gives bonuses based on which reservation you are in:

Blood Stance: Maims nearby enemies and makes them take additional physical damage.

Sand stance: Blinds nearby enemies and less damage taken from enemies not nearby.

Blade Storm seems pretty good, like a balanced mapping and single target skill (assuming numbers on it are good). Blind is an insane defensive tool and having built in movement speed on a skill gem is never bad.

Only issue I have is that if you use all of these then you have to use 3 skills. It's possible still to use all of these and just be in one mode throughout.

For example I can choose to use Sand Stance with Bladestorm and Flesh and Stone on Blood Stance (since Bladestorm already blinds) for the whole map. I can get the damage bonus as well as the mapping bonus. The blind is good against bosses as well. Or maybe for bosses I swap, Blood stance for Bladstorm and Sand stance for Flesh and Stone.

Also it seems like Cyclone is a Blood and Sand stance skill as well!

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If Rage doesn't have a drawback as advertised then I am probably going Debeon Dirge Berserker with maybe the Daresso Defiance armor.

They are showing a lot of Raider in these videos though...hoping for some buffs in that regard because Raider Debeon Dirge is pretty sweet as well.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Pretty big indirect buff to Effigon with flesh/stone in sand stance, now every class has a universal "hits can't be evaded" at the cost of a amulet and 25% reservation.

Also for some reason i had bloodstorm confused with bladestorm and was like "why are they reworking a spell in the melee patch?" lol

Number45

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: I see the image was discussed, but the tweet confirming it's a corrupted KS not posted.

Last edited:

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
But blind doesn't work against spells which is the most challenging content.
It's still going to be useful against what it does work on. Anything that will help you avoid being stunned and crit while there are many enemies attacking you up close is going to be helpful. Plus it seems to have a damage reduction effect for things that are farther away so that will help against spells.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I am going to try and play Teutonic Jugg, and try and shoehorn some of the new skills into it somehow :-/

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Juggernaut is going to be using the reworked Molten Shell and probably the Flesh and Stone aura as well. If that chain skill builds Rage (or any other supportive skill) then Juggs have to use that too because that's too good not to use.

Definitely going to have HUGE issues with skill bar slots this league.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely trying some kind of melee build. I guess we'll start to see build ideas when the new skill gem/passives info is released?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely trying some kind of melee build. I guess we'll start to see build ideas when the new skill gem/passives info is released?
When the patch notes + skill tree + 20/20 skill gems hit online, go on Twitch and start checking out streamers, Youtube as well for League starter builds. Most of the builders will post their Path of Building links for league starters.

And of course people in here can help too.

I personally never really use other people's builds but I generally still know what's meta/popular so I can recommend appropriately. And melee/bow skills is like my forte so I am going to be working over time this league!

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Probably going to run with heavy strike depending on the changes. Always wanted to do a permastun build, if the animation changes effect it positively even better.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally never really use other people's builds but I generally still know what's meta/popular so I can recommend appropriately. And melee/bow skills is like my forte so I am going to be working over time this league!

This'll be only my 3rd league in PoE, I don't think / feel I am in a position to freestyle it yet, I like to try and get better (more challenges etc) with every league, that combined with limited time (compared to many PoE players) means I don't really want to waste time on a potential rubbish build.

That said, I only use builds as a rough guide for the bare bones, and generally spec them a bit differently by end game, once I get a feel for said build.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel way too inexperienced to really experiment - as I have a limited amount of time (at most I could see me levelling two characters per league) for the short term I'm definitely going to favour following a build put together by someone else. Even in that case the gearing is a challenge!

I'm sure I'll experiment sooner or later.