• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
TheFatOne also for any officers

You can now see who adds to and removes things from the guild stash on the website... They now have a log

Mind you it isn't super important because we rarely have lots of valuable things in there but it's a nice QoL feature

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I tried this game on PS4 last night. I didn't even leave the beach before uninstalling the game from the hard drive. There's no way I'm playing this game on PS4. Moving the character around feels terrible, and the UI is really designed for a mouse and keyboard.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I wish it was something to help me focus on sections of game. For example, I may want to focus on Delve and Temple and see less of Betrayal?

For a second I thought scarabs would be something like that but scarabs are rare enough that I use them rarely.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Trade is a hard subject, a badly implemented trade system could destroy PoE. It all depends on what you are trying to solve. Auction house for example would solve AFK / not responding player -issues, but would also mean that bots dominate the economy.

Items that are trivial to obtain (because buying them is too easy) would mean that drop rates of all items would have to be reduced considerably. This in turn could piss off people in a major way. And would drive people away because game would feel so empty. No more loot explosions.

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any pointers as to what I should concentrate on to improve my build/character next?

I have a twin slot Stygian belt in my stash, and also a perseverance belt, would either of these help?

The broad scope of this release is a new challenge league (whose name is not on the list, but should be)

You're name is not down, you're not coming in?, Kicks like a mule by the Bouncer!

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Any pointers as to what I should concentrate on to improve my build/character next?

I have a twin slot Stygian belt in my stash, and also a perseverance belt, would either of these help?

You're name is not down, you're not coming in?, Kicks like a mule by the Bouncer!
Tree can be improved a bit though from what I can tell you are struggling to get resistances so you are opting to get it on tree. Generally you want resistances on gear rather than on the skill tree.

https://pastebin.com/s2htnc7X <-- More optimum skill tree

You can throw in a 4 link Vaal Ancestral Warchief into the build for more single target aid. Link Flesh and Stone with Maim for more damage.

You can only use one of either Steelskin or Molten Shell. I would recommend just using Vaal Molten Shell. You have around 15K armour with Granite flask up so Molten Shell should be better than Steel Skin. Vaal Molten Shell will allow you to have a cast on damage taken Molten Shell and then an activatable Vaal Molten Shell that is exceedingly powerful.

Of course you can get a stronger weapon, its a 320 PDPS 2handed weapon which isn't all that great of course. My recommendation is still to get a whatever 6link body armor but get a nice weapon like a cheap unique 2H weapon like Doomsower which is 460 PDPS with some extra perks.

No life on your boots and very low movement speed. Definitely get that fixed. Just FYI, the movement speed craft recipe is in the Epilogue area.

Generally need more resistances on your rings, belt, glove and boot slots.

The craft you want to go for on gloves and amulet is the one that gives +1 to weapon range. Though I believe they might be Syndicate crafts so you should be unveiling all items you get. Weapon range is huge for Cyclone as it gives base radius allowing for powerful scaling.

I would sacrifice the Basalt flask for a Silver flask since you have no ways of generating Onslaught. And get Curse warding on it.

Even in solo self found type playstyle, I would imagine you would have better gear than that already just picking up random rares that are good bases. I remember when I played solo self found I had solid jewelry just from picking up stuff and IDing them. My guess is that you aren't prioritizing resistances enough when picking up items hence why you are struggling at keeping them up.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tree can be improved a bit though from what I can tell you are struggling to get resistances so you are opting to get it on tree. Generally you want resistances on gear rather than on the skill tree.

https://pastebin.com/s2htnc7X <-- More optimum skill tree

You can throw in a 4 link Vaal Ancestral Warchief into the build for more single target aid. Link Flesh and Stone with Maim for more damage.

You can only use one of either Steelskin or Molten Shell. I would recommend just using Vaal Molten Shell. You have around 15K armour with Granite flask up so Molten Shell should be better than Steel Skin. Vaal Molten Shell will allow you to have a cast on damage taken Molten Shell and then an activatable Vaal Molten Shell that is exceedingly powerful.

Of course you can get a stronger weapon, its a 320 PDPS 2handed weapon which isn't all that great of course. My recommendation is still to get a whatever 6link body armor but get a nice weapon like a cheap unique 2H weapon like Doomsower which is 460 PDPS with some extra perks.

No life on your boots and very low movement speed. Definitely get that fixed. Just FYI, the movement speed craft recipe is in the Epilogue area.

Generally need more resistances on your rings, belt, glove and boot slots.

The craft you want to go for on gloves and amulet is the one that gives +1 to weapon range. Though I believe they might be Syndicate crafts so you should be unveiling all items you get. Weapon range is huge for Cyclone as it gives base radius allowing for powerful scaling.

I would sacrifice the Basalt flask for a Silver flask since you have no ways of generating Onslaught. And get Curse warding on it.

Even in solo self found type playstyle, I would imagine you would have better gear than that already just picking up random rares that are good bases. I remember when I played solo self found I had solid jewelry just from picking up stuff and IDing them. My guess is that you aren't prioritizing resistances enough when picking up items hence why you are struggling at keeping them up.
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

As for the last paragraph, yup, I tend to back myself into a corner and struggle to get out of it, so I always seem to have to ditch new gear that could potentially improve my build because it doesn't have a particular mod on it, I guess it's a bit of fear in losing something important, and not having enough experience yet to know when it's worth dropping something and losing a bit of EHP but gaining more DPS and knowing where the sweetspot is.

But it's a learning curve right?, it's my first build that I haven't followed a guide for.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

As for the last paragraph, yup, I tend to back myself into a corner and struggle to get out of it, so I always seem to have to ditch new gear that could potentially improve my build because it doesn't have a particular mod on it, I guess it's a bit of fear in losing something important, and not having enough experience yet to know when it's worth dropping something and losing a bit of EHP but gaining more DPS and knowing where the sweetspot is.

But it's a learning curve right?, it's my first build that I haven't followed a guide for.
I would try to get a Belt of the Deceiver for the Belt slot. It's a great balanced and cheap item. Intimidate is a more multiplier and it gives reduced damage taken from crits which is excellent. Plus some life and all resistances is nice.

Just remember the standard stats that you want on Rare gear:

Boots - Life and Movement speed (as high as possible, at least 25%), and then the rest are all resistances.
Gloves - Life and resistances, maybe attack speed, maybe added physical damage. Save a craft for +1 weapon range.
Belts - Life and resistances all you need. Try to get as much resistances from the belt slot as possible.
Rings - Life and added physical damage, ton of resistances. You may choose to keep a slot open for -mana cost craft from syndicate but that's not easy to get on solo self found.
Amulets - Same as Rings but save a craft for +1 weapon range if possible and get Global Critical Strike Multiplier.

I generally don't even look at the pieces that don't have a high enough life roll. For them not to have life rolls, they need to have an open prefix (so I can craft Life on them) and a ton of inbuilt resistances.

AL_

Oct 25, 2017
First time double corrupt and it didn't poof so it's a win for me. Now to find a non cyclone build that can use this. Anyone have suggestions?
unknown.png

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
I need some noob advice
I've hit a wall in this game around Tier 3 Maps. I can get through the story fine but at this point I start exploding. At this point moving laterally seems idea but not sure which direction to move towards. I have two characters: Trickster ED/Bane using ES/evasion and Chieftain RF using Armor/ES. I know I need better gear but how should I go about this? From what i understand there is crafting decent 5-6L white gear to get modifiers i need; trading for better gear which I can do by grinding tier 1-2 maps for currency; getting good drops through delving or another master? Any suggestions or advice?
'binsu and binsuRF'

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if somebody wants to invite me into the PC guild. I hit level 69 earlier with my first character and I have a level 42ish Scion and am having fun, but I am hitting a bit of a wall now when it comes to equipment and stuff and I just need help lol.

Name should be VinceMajestyk in game.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
I need some noob advice
I've hit a wall in this game around Tier 3 Maps. I can get through the story fine but at this point I start exploding. At this point moving laterally seems idea but not sure which direction to move towards. I have two characters: Trickster ED/Bane using ES/evasion and Chieftain RF using Armor/ES. I know I need better gear but how should I go about this? From what i understand there is crafting decent 5-6L white gear to get modifiers i need; trading for better gear which I can do by grinding tier 1-2 maps for currency; getting good drops through delving or another master? Any suggestions or advice?
'binsu and binsuRF'
For your ED char were you trying to just go life, hybrid, or an energy shield char? What I would suggest is going to depend on what direction you are taking the char. Is there a specific guide you were following? Your chest piece and tree suggest a low life ED character, but your other gear doesn't.

Yeah, if somebody wants to invite me into the PC guild. I hit level 69 earlier with my first character and I have a level 42ish Scion and am having fun, but I am hitting a bit of a wall now when it comes to equipment and stuff and I just need help lol.

Name should be VinceMajestyk in game.
Invite sent

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
For your ED char were you trying to just go life, hybrid, or an energy shield char? What I would suggest is going to depend on what direction you are taking the char. Is there a specific guide you were following? Your chest piece and tree suggest a low life ED character, but your other gear doesn't.

Invite sent
ES and im kinda just going self built but checking poe ninja for common gear on ED builds. All my gear was found but I went and bought the atziri's flask and shavarrone's wrappings to try and get some sustainability going and it helped a bit but still struggling hence my wondering what are the options at this point.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ES and im kinda just going self built but checking poe ninja for common gear on ED builds. All my gear was found but I went and bought the atziri's flask and shavarrone's wrappings to try and get some sustainability going and it helped a bit but still struggling hence my wondering what are the options at this point.
You should be able to do most map tiers with found gear.

Can you post your tree and gear so people can have a look?

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
In that case you need more ES from your gear. Here are the ES ranges you should aim for per each piece of gear. Helm 200+ , Boots 100+ ,Gloves 90+, Shield 200+, and on your rings/amulets you want to try and get flat ES and % ES. Before that though you need to buy the gem Discipline and start leveling it up. Discipline gives you a flat amount of ES but reserves a portion of your mana. I'll come back to this point in a little bit. Let's talk about your gear first.

The first thing I would do is try and find a decent 200 ES shield. It should only cost you 1-2c for the shield. Look for a 200 ES shield with a couple of resistances. Then, look for a 200+ ES helm with a couple of resistances. The helm will probably be something like 2-5c. Just getting a better helm and shield should help out.

We need to talk about Shavs though. Shavs has a very specific purpose in PoE. It lets you go full ES without having to take the CI passive. Using Shavs allows you to reserve a percentage of your health using the blood magic gem. Blood magic lets you use your life instead of mana for skills. For example, I currently have blood magic with discipline and clarity. Normally those two auras would reserve a percentage of my mana, but instead reserve a percentage of my health.

This has the added benefit of putting me under 35% health permanently which satisfies the condition of being low-life. There is a node on the tree that give you 30% more spell damage while on low life(pain attunement). Essentially you use shavs to use more auras, and to be permanently low life.

You need a better wand. Look for a wand with spell damage, and non-ailment chaos over time multiplier. Non-chaos over time is important for ED. It's one of the primary ways of scaling your damage. The more you can get the better off you will be. You can try crafting one yourself, but it's probably not worth it at this time in the league. I would save up for a wand with at least 30 non-ailment chaos damage over time multiplier. Should set you back like 10-15c.

Here's a link to a PoE forum guide that should help you out with what gems to use, and some other general tips for ED.

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
You should be able to do most map tiers with found gear.

Can you post your tree and gear so people can have a look?
yeah i posted it a few posts up.

In that case you need more ES from your gear. Here are the ES ranges you should aim for per each piece of gear. Helm 200+ , Boots 100+ ,Gloves 90+, Shield 200+, and on your rings/amulets you want to try and get flat ES and % ES. Before that though you need to buy the gem Discipline and start leveling it up. Discipline gives you a flat amount of ES but reserves a portion of your mana. I'll come back to this point in a little bit. Let's talk about your gear first.

The first thing I would do is try and find a decent 200 ES shield. It should only cost you 1-2c for the shield. Look for a 200 ES shield with a couple of resistances. Then, look for a 200+ ES helm with a couple of resistances. The helm will probably be something like 2-5c. Just getting a better helm and shield should help out.

We need to talk about Shavs though. Shavs has a very specific purpose in PoE. It lets you go full ES without having to take the CI passive. Using Shavs allows you to reserve a percentage of your health using the blood magic gem. Blood magic lets you use your life instead of mana for skills. For example, I currently have blood magic with discipline and clarity. Normally those two auras would reserve a percentage of my mana, but instead reserve a percentage of my health.

This has the added benefit of putting me under 35% health permanently which satisfies the condition of being low-life. There is a node on the tree that give you 30% more spell damage while on low life(pain attunement). Essentially you use shavs to use more auras, and to be permanently low life.

You need a better wand. Look for a wand with spell damage, and non-ailment chaos over time multiplier. Non-chaos over time is important for ED. It's one of the primary ways of scaling your damage. The more you can get the better off you will be. You can try crafting one yourself, but it's probably not worth it at this time in the league. I would save up for a wand with at least 30 non-ailment chaos damage over time multiplier. Should set you back like 10-15c.

Here's a link to a PoE forum guide that should help you out with what gems to use, and some other general tips for ED.

I picked up shavronne's wrappings beacuse i saw the inherited chaos damage prevention which i figured would help if i was going ES only. Thats a interesting way to use shavs, ill keep that in mind as i do like curses and dot builds too. I appreciate all the details and ideal numbers to look for in gear as well as that link but i still had that initial question. When im at this point of low level mapping and my gear needs some work to survive, what direction to i push in to progress: crafting, trading, delving, mapping, etc? from what you said trading is the best option?

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New to trading in PoE, so, why do people put a buyout on an item that they continually refuse?, and why do some people put "0 chaos" as a price?

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
So I just wasted:

- All of my divine orbs and any six-link I could get from divination cards and beasts for more divines
- Some annulment orbs and remove prefix/add suffix beasts
- Really good luck finding a hybrid (30-50%) inc. damage against chilled enemies/+49% cold resist mods on a base I wanted that managed to get around 390 accuracy with an open suffix after I crafted it a bit
- and two exalts

to find out that Essences ignore Suffixes Cannot be Changed.

I'm now considering just abandoning the goal of beating Uber Elder with this character (already did with my main melee character and got 36 challenges) EDIT: Decided to start trying to play Glacial Hammer again, but as SSF. I figured that attempting to play a non-meta build as SSF might be a great way to play after the league stops being popular and it will allow me a chance to play harder to play skills like Glacier Hammer with no pre-existing gear without having to do it at the start of a league.

Gonna try it as Gladiator in fact.

EDIT 2: Took a break from playing the new character and ended up finding another pair of gloves with a similar mod and had enough fire res on it that I could use it. My accuracy is lower now but it gives me hope to get the damage needed for endgame bosses.

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
24 challenges done (finally) and I think I am done with this league, not sure I have the capacity to try and push for 36.

I see Legion is going core as well.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
24 challenges done (finally) and I think I am done with this league, not sure I have the capacity to try and push for 36.

I see Legion is going core as well.

Congrats
I dropped the league a couple of weeks ago because of a repetitive strain injury, I really like the aura that come with the 24 challenges achievement. And also no UberElder :(
I haven't done the end game league related content. I think that I don't particularly like this league, base POE is enough for me I guess.

Timeless jewels are meh

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats
I dropped the league a couple of weeks ago because of a repetitive strain injury, I really like the aura that come with the 24 challenges achievement. And also no UberElder :(
I haven't done the end game league related content. I think that I don't particularly like this league, base POE is enough for me I guess.

Timeless jewels are meh
I haven't even gotten 1 timeless jewel, I assume it comes from a 5 way domain battle?

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
36 was pretty doable once I was able to beat Uber Elder. In fact I am pretty sure I didn't have to beat UE for 36 but I did it anyway. I think the hardest challenges to do besides the Endgame Grind ones are the Azoatl ones that require you to get lucky with Temples.

Duelist is a surprisingly solid choice for Glacial Hammer because all of the Mace nodes on that part of the tree are generic damage so they will scale the cold damage on the Glacial Hammer gem. Good for accuracy nodes and finding Dexterity for Cold based support gems as well.

I am mostly doing this on SSF because I realized it would be like a fresh league start so I can feel like I'm playing Glacial Hammer from the start as a challenge instead of using a better skill before switching to it (where I feel like I might as well use the better skill at that point). This might be a character that continues into Stanard and will become something I play between league characters. I might also transfer from SSF Standard to Standard Trade once the league is done, not sure yet.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
36 was pretty doable once I was able to beat Uber Elder. In fact I am pretty sure I didn't have to beat UE for 36 but I did it anyway. I think the hardest challenges to do besides the Endgame Grind ones are the Azoatl ones that require you to get lucky with Temples.

Many of them are just so time consuming, especially when you factor in the RNG of some of them, I wonder how many hours it took the average person to do 36 challenges, because it took me more hours than I usually have available to get to 24!

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So i downloaded this game on a suggestion from a friend because the Diablo season just ended and it's a decent Diablo clone, but I honestly cannot believe how utterly absurd the micro's are.

Might be the worst FTP micros I have seen in a LONG time. In fact I honestly cannot think of a worse FTP game at the moment. $60+ for a back item? $84 for a fucking armor set? $30+ for a pet? And there are no consistent ways to earn the coins by just playing the game?

Are they serious? Because as someone coming from a proper FTP game like Warframe these prices are a joke.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The prices of MTX's are indeed a joke (a bad one!)
I have to agree. Which is a shame because i was enjoying the game to a decent extent until I saw those fucking ridiculous prices. I had a few complaints sure (mainly being loot space) but once i saw the MTX prices I knew right away it wasn't gonna be a game I could play and support for a long time.

I get that it's a FTP game which means they gotta make money somewhere but those prices are straight bullshit. Especially when you take into account you cannot consistently earn the premium currency like you can in other games like Warframe.

It's either "buy it for a shitload of money or fuck off" and that is not something I can support. It's possible to have a FTP game without robbing your players blind. At some point Devs will learn this.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't bother me, I buy a support pack (£24) every season (3 months) and forget about the MTX's

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cosmetics are edgy trash anyway, but they should make starter packs for stash tabs, say currency maps cards + one quad at a discount

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I dont think the prices for stash tabs are that bad and they go on sale all the time but a starter pack for tabs is a good idea.

Honestly the best way to go about getting cosmetic shit is getting the supporter packs. After getting a couple of them you usually end up with shitloads of points.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The cosmetics are edgy trash anyway, but they should make starter packs for stash tabs, say currency maps cards + one quad at a discount
The stash tabs were the other thing that pissed me off. Every single beginner guide I watched before I played reapeatedly said the stash tabs are really the only Micro that might need to buy once you reach end game and i knew what a tab did. At most I was expecting $5 and even then I thought that was a bit of a stretch. Cannot believe they charge over twice as much for something so basic. That is absurd. I just don't understand how they came to the conclusion these prices were okay. It's completely killed my desire to play the game. Why get so invested in a game that charges a fortune for even basic cosmetics and quality of life improvements?

Especially when there are better versions of the game that cost a fraction of that in the long run (Diablo) and other FTP games that don't rob me blind when it comes to cosmetics and other improvements (Warframe)?

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why get so invested in a game that charges a fortune for even basic cosmetics and quality of life improvements?

Especially when there are better versions of the game that cost a fraction of that in the long run (Diablo) and other FTP games that don't rob me blind when it comes to cosmetics and other improvements (Warframe)?

Ahh yes, Intrinsic value, it's always very subjective, Warframe and PoE are, IMO, gold standard for F2P games, for different reasons.

I get what you're saying, and can't argue against it, at least objectively, but I have had a thousand + hours out of PoE, and to me, it's intrinsic value outweights the price of the MTX's, something which I am not concerned about.

I know it's a shitty argument against expensive MTX's, but it's all I've got!, I can't justify it, I adore PoE (and Warframe) and will continue playing it and supporting GGG because it gives me a great deal of joy.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Ahh yes, Intrinsic value, it's always very subjective, Warframe and PoE are, IMO, gold standard for F2P games, for different reasons.

I get what you're saying, and can't argue against it, at least objectively, but I have had a thousand + hours out of PoE, and to me, it's intrinsic value outweights the price of the MTX's, something which I am not concerned about.

I know it's a shitty argument against expensive MTX's, but it's all I've got!, I can't justify it, I adore PoE (and Warframe) and will continue playing it and supporting GGG because it gives me a great deal of joy.
If you enjoy it despite the MTXs then more power to you. I'm not gonna say you are wrong because like I said I was enjoying the game up until the point I saw the MTXs.

And that was the other thing. The only reason I saw the MTXs was because the game flashed a "we are having a sale on stash tabs" message across my screen. Which was another red flag for me. Because having "optional" MTXs is one thing, but advertising them while I am trying to play the game is another.

It's just not for me I think. Which is a shame, because if this was a $60 game where I could earn all of this in game then I would positively love it. The depth, the vision, the design, the aesthetic, etc etc it's all there. But for that kind of money I just can't justify it. I just expect more out of FTP games these days.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow is the league reveal right? Fun times. Going to be hard to top Legion in terms of matching the big melee changes, Ascendancy reworks and the league mechanic itself. I am guessing a crafting system is due as well since we didn't have one of those in Legion.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Tomorrow is the league reveal right? Fun times. Going to be hard to top Legion in terms of matching the big melee changes, Ascendancy reworks and the league mechanic itself. I am guessing a crafting system is due as well since we didn't have one of those in Legion.
Next league has the delve and betrayal changes right?

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean making parts of them account wide instead of per character? Then I think so.

2pm PDT tomorrow for league announcement.