• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also Glacier is a tier 15 map now.

You want to rush through the campaign to get to the maps where your returns are higher and you get more rewarding content to play against. Any time spent on campaign is ultimately wasted time because on average you will get less returns. League mechanics tend to be more rewarding in maps as well.

Right. I just felt like I wouldn't be leveled up enough with the way those guys were rushing it. But I'll give it a shot again.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, looks like I am going summoner then!, so what are / have been some good summoner builds in the past?

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New unique looks really interesting:

l4solktk3wh31.jpg

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Ok, looks like I am going summoner then!, so what are / have been some good summoner builds in the past?

There are many summoner builds, I would look at different minions and choose that looks most fun to play for you.

• Skeletons have been trendy lately, maybe the easiest kind of summoner to get going.
  • Spectre summoner is a classic summoner build.
  • Zombie summoner is an option. In past zombie AI made this build very clunky to play but latest gem additions should make this fun & playable.
  • At some point in past golemancer was also a thing, but historically you need at least several exalts worth of currency to get golemancer going. Not sure how it works in 3.8. In past few leagues golemancer has fallen off the wagon due to several nerfs. I think 3.8 will make golemancer playable again.
  • Herald of Agony summoner is also a thing, but I'm not sure where to rank it as I haven't played it myself.
  • You can do animate guardian trickery, but you have to know what you are doing. AG is quite complex & hard to get going. It's often used as a secondary minion to complement some other summoner type.
  • Summon Raging Spirit is another classic summoner type, but has suffered from lack of power in endgame. 3.8 might change this. Still a very, very good early league summoner skill often used during leveling process, before switching to your primary minion type.
  • Summon Phantasm is another summoner type thats been trendy, but I haven't played this enough to comment on it.

3.8 might open up new summoner types I haven't listed here. RF minions will be a thing at least.

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are many summoner builds, I would look at different minions and choose that looks most fun to play for you.

• Skeletons have been trendy lately, maybe the easiest kind of summoner to get going.
  • Spectre summoner is a classic summoner build.
  • Zombie summoner is an option. In past zombie AI made this build very clunky to play but latest gem additions should make this fun & playable.
  • At some point in past golemancer was also a thing, but historically you need at least several exalts worth of currency to get golemancer going. Not sure how it works in 3.8. In past few leagues golemancer has fallen off the wagon due to several nerfs. I think 3.8 will make golemancer playable again.
  • Herald of Agony summoner is also a thing, but I'm not sure where to rank it as I haven't played it myself.
  • You can do animate guardian trickery, but you have to know what you are doing. AG is quite complex & hard to get going. It's often used as a secondary minion to complement some other summoner type.
  • Summon Raging Spirit is another classic summoner type, but has suffered from lack of power in endgame. 3.8 might change this. Still a very, very good early league summoner skill often used during leveling process, before switching to your primary minion type.
  • Summon Phantasm is another summoner type thats been trendy, but I haven't played this enough to comment on it.

3.8 might open up new summoner types I haven't listed here. RF minions will be a thing at least.
Thanks, I'll have a look into those.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I haven't played a summoner since something like Abyss. Spectres can be pretty fucking fun but also slightly annoying. Not as bad as AG tho.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've found 6 3.7 summoner builds that look like fun to play (although not sure about slo-mo zombies, looks a little AFK?) that I might dabble with in the two weeks before Blight.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've found 6 3.7 summoner builds that look like fun to play (although not sure about slo-mo zombies, looks a little AFK?) that I might dabble with in the two weeks before Blight.

Zombies used to be alright just to throw up against bosses as a kind of tank/buffer if necessary. Those support gems are so nice, things will probably change up a bit!

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zombies used to be alright just to throw up against bosses as a kind of tank/buffer if necessary. Those support gems are so nice, things will probably change up a bit!
Yeah, I loaded one of the builds (big dps summoner) into path of building and thought I'd better can a leg up on how the basics of the archetype plays before 3.8 drops.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I will SOOOOO do a summoner build this league. But I wont have too much time to play, sadly. The league mechanics do not look good to me, totally orthogonal to POE's current rushy rushy design.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool, I was levelling Raising Spectre yesterday in preparation of the next league and oh boy I wanna see that second bar of skill bindings

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe an antithesis to that style of play is what they are going for?, I'll be honest, slowing the game down a bit wouldn't be a bad thing for me.

You say slowing down, but I'm thinking if your build damage is described as shapers per second slightly tankier tower defence mobs won't be an issue. We'll have to see how it goes.

I guess slowing down in sense that you have to spend time standing and defending.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Maybe an antithesis to that style of play is what they are going for?, I'll be honest, slowing the game down a bit wouldn't be a bad thing for me.

Not my style of play, but the general directions our brains have been pushed when we expect a POE mapping/delving session.
I enjoy speed, but my fastest builds ever do not scratch the surface of what actual T1 speedrunner builds do. I am slow as f compared to that, and even I will be annoyed with this unless the rewards are there. We shall see it. But my overall point is that if there will be a more profitable way of playing the game than to finish these encounters, you can bet players will do that and just buy the league-specific rewards from currencies.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to try out a necromancer for a while now and never got around to it, so 3.8 is definitely looking like the time. The new support gems look to make the playstyle a lot more responsive.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not my style of play, but the general directions our brains have been pushed when we expect a POE mapping/delving session.
I enjoy speed, but my fastest builds ever do not scratch the surface of what actual T1 speedrunner builds do. I am slow as f compared to that, and even I will be annoyed with this unless the rewards are there. We shall see it. But my overall point is that if there will be a more profitable way of playing the game than to finish these encounters, you can bet players will do that and just buy the league-specific rewards from currencies.
People said this about Legion too pre-release. A lot of people didn't like that you had to unfreeze the enemies and then kill them again. Some people didnt like Breach either because you had to wait for monsters to come rather than then spawning all at once.

The bottom line is simply how rewarding this league mechanic is. Players will spend an additional minute or two if the returns are there. That's why Legion was so popular, the chests had superb drops.

That said, I think the major limiting factor to this league is the fact that so far we haven't seen any Rares pop out of these Blights. That is a massive nerf to Headhunter if you want to engage with the league mechanic. That's probably how they plan to balance the mechanic so that players with souped up HHs and supports can't just demolish the incoming enemies without even using towers.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
You know what...

This might be a good league to try out Righteous Fire for the first time. It would let me deal damage while I focus on activating the league mechanic's towers. Blade Vortex that stacks poison is another idea as well.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
People said this about Legion too pre-release. A lot of people didn't like that you had to unfreeze the enemies and then kill them again. Some people didnt like Breach either because you had to wait for monsters to come rather than then spawning all at once.

The bottom line is simply how rewarding this league mechanic is. Players will spend an additional minute or two if the returns are there. That's why Legion was so popular, the chests had superb drops.

That said, I think the major limiting factor to this league is the fact that so far we haven't seen any Rares pop out of these Blights. That is a massive nerf to Headhunter if you want to engage with the league mechanic. That's probably how they plan to balance the mechanic so that players with souped up HHs and supports can't just demolish the incoming enemies without even using towers.

Nah, I did not get the feeling at all from Legion. But I agree with you regarding rewards.
This league was a mess for me because I found a Headhunter in week two, sold it for 80 exalteds (or close to that), fully geared a Cyclone char with the money and lost all interest in the game, and spent ALL the currencies wastefully. That process I did enjoy though, as I made several self-made chars instead of cyclone (like a chain spectral shield thrower who sucked on bossing, and then tried out pure flameblast which utterly, utterly sucked, and then tried out Arc totem FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME (I hate fotm builds :P)....)

This time around, I'm going to self-make some non HoA-poison minion builds or have one more go at an SRS summoner.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
If I do play a poison-based Blade Vortex build (which seems likely now that I made a build in PoB- I hope the Perfect Agony changes make pathing to it worth it), I'm definitely using Herald of Agony if only for the Blight encounters and much needed damage for bosses.

I wonder if Winter Orb will start to see a return due to the league mechanic.

I'm just gonna do all of my fun gimmicky build stuff at the end of the league as SSF (so I can play them with a fresh start from the start) from now on.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That new Dagger is going to be big for HoA. HoA has a spell tag and that dagger should work with it. Use something like EK/BV poison build with 4 link HoA... kill everything in the game.

Really curious to see how they balance character power with tower power. So far all the clips I have seen, the monsters just get killed in one shot by the character. Otherwise it's going to be Tornado Shot meta build all over again (stand in one spot near the balloon and shoot off screen to clear waves).

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
That does seem cool, though I was planning on using a staff since it has some Area of Effect nodes while equipping a Staff that I want for Blade Vortex.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Sentinel (Overlord) supporter pack looks cool, the blue fits my eyes better than yellow. Slightly disappointed that there were no character effects but I can live without them, my celestial char effect will look good on blue anyway!

Looks like summoners will need many, many jewel sockets in this league. Existing minion jewels + generic life/es/etc jewels and then the new jewel:

edit--
I think I will put this in the jewel socket above "Dynamo" notable.

Last edited:

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Man the new supporter packs are pretty. I last bought one in Betrayal but I'm really tempted to shell out $60 for either of the Bane sets.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sentinel (Overlord) supporter pack looks cool, the blue fits my eyes better than yellow. Slightly disappointed that there were no character effects but I can live without them, my celestial char effect will look good on blue anyway!

Looks like summoners will need many, many jewel sockets in this league. Existing minion jewels + generic life/es/etc jewels and then the new jewel:

edit--
I think I will put this in the jewel socket above "Dynamo" notable.
How well do minions scale with end game content? Are they really specific gear heavy?

Started a new zombie summoner in standard to get a feel, and it's quite fun in a kind of stand offish way, but I worry how it will scale as I generally only run one character per league.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
How well do minions scale with end game content? Are they really specific gear heavy?

Started a new zombie summoner in standard to get a feel, and it's quite fun in a kind of stand offish way, but I worry how it will scale as I generally only run one character per league.

Might depend on summoner type, but I have personally done all atlas bosses except uber elder/uber atziri with a 5-link raise spectre and some random rares I found on the way.

Making some gear investments will allow you to do all content. I would rate total investment less than, say, a cyclone build. Most expensive thing will be a 6 link with +2 to gem levels. Even that is not a necessity and many summoners go with 1h+shield route.

Last edited:

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
After I failed to kill Uber Elder on my Cast on Crit character awhile back, I noticed today I still had the boss fight on my Atlas so I decided to go back to my Berserker and try to beat it one more time before I'll have to put all of that character's gear in my stash.

Managed to beat Uber Elder deathless and in one try! Such a great feeling to have at the end of the league.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Might depend on summoner type, but I have personally done all atlas bosses except uber elder/uber atziri with a 5-link raise spectre and some random rares I found on the way.

Making some gear investments will allow you to do all content. I would rate total investment less than, say, a cyclone build. Most expensive thing will be a 6 link with +2 to gem levels. Even that is not a necessity and many summoners go with 1h+shield route.
Which spectres do you use?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Summoners can easily demolish all content in the game and are generally pretty safe. They are a popular Hardcore class because of it (or at least used to be before all this power creep). They are amazing/safe bosses and they aren't that expensive to gear relative to other powerful builds. A cheap Zombie build can do like 5 million Shaper DPS. The new upgrades they are getting is going to make it so that you are going to be seeing a lot of Necromancers in 3.8 especially in hardcore.

Specters are insanely powerful and can even clear relatively fast but there is this weird mechanic of finding them in the right spot at the right monster level. I would recommend them as a second or third summoner build as they aren't exactly newbie friendly (very punishing if your Specters die).

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Summoners can easily demolish all content in the game and are generally pretty safe. They are a popular Hardcore class because of it (or at least used to be before all this power creep). They are amazing/safe bosses and they aren't that expensive to gear relative to other powerful builds. A cheap Zombie build can do like 5 million Shaper DPS. The new upgrades they are getting is going to make it so that you are going to be seeing a lot of Necromancers in 3.8 especially in hardcore.

Specters are insanely powerful and can even clear relatively fast but there is this weird mechanic of finding them in the right spot at the right monster level. I would recommend them as a second or third summoner build as they aren't exactly newbie friendly (very punishing if your Specters die).
I really wish they'd make getting your spectres.. not a damn chore. I'm not really sure what going through the convoluted process of getting them back adds to the game. If it weren't for that, I'd go spectre again. The DPS difference is pretty massive if you don't have the highest level.

Spectres was a really fun build besides that though and incredibly powerful.

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
I really wish they'd make getting your spectres.. not a damn chore. I'm not really sure what going through the convoluted process of getting them back adds to the game. If it weren't for that, I'd go spectre again. The DPS difference is pretty massive if you don't have the highest level.

Spectres was a really fun build besides that though and incredibly powerful.
Yeah every time I play a build that uses specters I just end up stop playing because of the resummon chore

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah every time I play a build that uses specters I just end up stop playing because of the resummon chore

They persist through logouts now, so I don't find it a chore. Once you get high lvl enough you can just forget about them. And they rarely die.

Or are you talking about the incremental upgrade summons you do when progressing through atlas?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They persist through logouts now, so I don't find it a chore. Once you get high lvl enough you can just forget about them. And they rarely die.

Or are you talking about the incremental upgrade summons you do when progressing through atlas?
Depending on what you're doing, they die fairly easily (end game content). For example, Phoenix and Shaper can one/two shot them. So if you're spamming T16/shaper, chances are you're going to have to resummon 1 and maybe 2 if unlucky.

There's no real reason why you should have to get back into a lvl 83/84 area just to get your power back to where it was.

There should be some sort of spectre menu or UI in order to select the lvls and types you've already found. I think going to find specific ones once should be good enough.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Finally found a Winter Burial jewel in SSF as Glacial Hammer. I never thought I would be lucky enough that it would be the first Threshold Jewel that drops.

EDIT: Decided to try Hall of Grandmasters on my Berserker just to see how far I can get with my best character. I actually managed to beat the map!

Last edited:

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Depending on what you're doing, they die fairly easily (end game content). For example, Phoenix and Shaper can one/two shot them. So if you're spamming T16/shaper, chances are you're going to have to resummon 1 and maybe 2 if unlucky.

There's no real reason why you should have to get back into a lvl 83/84 area just to get your power back to where it was.

There should be some sort of spectre menu or UI in order to select the lvls and types you've already found. I think going to find specific ones once should be good enough.

Ah, I see what you mean. I was thinking about why I didn't really have that issue, but then I realized I invest quite heavily into making sure my minions don't die. Necromantic Aegis, +4% minion life regen / sec, many minion life nodes etc.

Those investments to keeping spectres alive could be used for dmg on some other minions.