• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beat uber elder, wasn't too bad, just had to keep mobile, only died once which I didn't think was too bad on a first go!

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the PS4 performance fixed since launch or late game is still crashing and drops FPS like crazy?
According to the poe forum, it's better, but if you run a high minion build, on an 8 lane blight encounter if will still chug.
It chugs a little on my X with 50+ minions on a blighted map at times, but it's playable.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Lost all interest in blight, but I'm still enjoying leveling characters. Trying to get under 3 hours Kitava act 10 with twink gear. Fastest I've gotten so far is 3:15. Orb of storms is god tier leveling.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having fun just trying to farm oils, the drop rates of high end ones is crazy, I've done a ton of T16 encounters and T15 blighted maps and haven't seen a single silver or gold one, drop rate must be lower than exalts.

If I can just get (nearly) 180k clear oils I can vendor for one ;)

Also, mastercrafts on uniques, I didn't think that was a thing?, I had one drop with a jun slot?

Edit : I see the veiled mod is specific to that item

Last edited:

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what 4.0 will be since its gonna be the biggest so far. Only thing that could beat is adding the beyond realm. Like an end game to the end game. Burn away the atlas to reveal the beyond realm after criteria has been met

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what 4.0 will be since its gonna be the biggest so far. Only thing that could beat is adding the beyond realm. Like an end game to the end game. Burn away the atlas to reveal the beyond realm after criteria has been met
Even 3.9 is going to be huge. I honestly am not creative enough to even dream of what is possible with this team.

I do know that they are working on male/female versions of the class. So there will both be a male and a female Marauder model. They are also changing the way the rigs on the models work so they can incorporate better animations and costumes on the character models. Probably will be using the time to update the models as well in terms of texture work.

This is good news because I can play a Templar without playing an decrepit old ass man.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Even 3.9 is going to be huge. I honestly am not creative enough to even dream of what is possible with this team.

I do know that they are working on male/female versions of the class. So there will both be a male and a female Marauder model. They are also changing the way the rigs on the models work so they can incorporate better animations and costumes on the character models. Probably will be using the time to update the models as well in terms of texture work.

This is good news because I can play a Templar without playing an decrepit old ass man.
Ahhh, 4.0 could be a graphical overhaul then. There's some crusty textures in the game and some areas can be a visual mess (malachai boss fight is a mess and is even worse if colorblind). And some skills have lame effects, could overall quite a few of those. Hoping for some POCs once they do male/female versions.

I don't think the campaign will get touched anymore as it's already long enough, so maybe more map layouts/bosses too.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh another thing they have talked about is changes to the topography/map layout in the game. That requires a full overhaul so that's something that could come up in 4.0.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
One thing I hope they find a solution for is the redundancy of running some of the same maps over and over. I think variety should be encouraged.

I also hope they can introduce more of an emphasis on exploration/adventure in mapping

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I hope they find a solution for is the redundancy of running some of the same maps over and over. I think variety should be encouraged.

I also hope they can introduce more of an emphasis on exploration/adventure in mapping
I think they attempted to do this with Delve and Synthesis as ways to break up the monotony of mapping, but at least in the case of Synthesis (I wasn't around for Delve) it was seen as a mandatory distraction from mapping instead of a way to take a break from it.

Synthesis backlash will probably prevent them from trying to find a real solution in the future.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think they attempted to do this with Delve and Synthesis as ways to break up the monotony of mapping, but at least in the case of Synthesis (I wasn't around for Delve) it was seen as a mandatory distraction from mapping instead of a way to take a break from it.

Synthesis backlash will probably prevent them from trying to find a real solution in the future.
Delve is a huge step in the right direction and was/is an overwhelming success. So I'd imagine they can build in that direction without stepping into synthesis territory, which received the opposite reception. Delve is just easy and straightforward. Synth required too much tinkering, it was basically a game inside of itself before you jump into the action.

My hope is that 4.0 revamps the mapping experience and breaks up the monotony of spamming the same maps and generally getting the same experiences.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
If there is something they take from synthesis, I hope it's the level of interactivity, the entire time I was playing that league the more I felt like it was an evolution of what the atlas currently is. Build your own way out (or in) to each of the guardians, certain points (maps) having large bonuses, piling on even more bonuses with surrounding pieces (sextants).

The current state of the atlas is feeling a bit stale IMO. With it's introduction I was hoping warbands/tempest would be brought back and have them work in a similar manner to elder/shaper influence works now but they're just another mechanic left to the dust.

Another thing I hope they look at is currency sinks, the chaos to ex ratio this league got pretty out of hand. An automated trading option that skims a bit off the top would be ideal. But I'm sure there's plenty of other outlets they can use like crafting.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Honestly I think a good way to keep currency under control is to not make new content that is a fucking currency nuclear bomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think a good way to keep currency under control is to not make new content that is a fucking currency nuclear bomb
Yea they tried that... and every league they did that those leagues end up being hated or derided for it. ie. Bestiar and Synthesis (at the start until they cranked up the loot/rewards).

Problem is that the average character is starting to become stronger and faster where they can simply farm more in a shorter span of time. If the next league they release and it has the same amount of currency drops as Blight then the Chaos to Exalt ratio is going to be worse (for Chaos). That's simply how things have been trending EVEN in leagues where currency comes slower than usual.

I would propose 3 solution to this:

*Severe bot banning protocols. Way too much currency flipping bots on the market at the moment. GGG's current system is too lax on this.

*Have more currency sinks that are worthwhile. And I am not talking about currency sinks that generate more currency (ie. dump 3 chaos into Zana for Beyond and get back like 10 Chaos). Stuff that is related to crafting, progression or difficulty.

*Generally less item drops in general. Not that you should be getting less Chaos drops but less item drops in general like Rares/Whites/Blues etc. Loot clutter has gone through insane levels already. Remember that people can just dump their rares and generate free chaos via recipe (even high level players when in groups do this to farm currency as a group starting out in a league to amass large amounts of Chaos). Less item drops means stuff like less 6 socket drops from whites which gets turned into fusings which are them sold to make more chaos etc. I feel like this is a wide sweeping change that should come with 4.0 where people are receptive to such a massive change to itemization.

There also should generally be less stuff in general. Not in terms of drops but in terms of what CAN drop to begin with. Seems like so much stuff that is worth 1-2 Chaos that you can sell in bulk.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yea they tried that... and every league they did that those leagues end up being hated or derided for it. ie. Bestiar and Synthesis (at the start until they cranked up the loot/rewards).

Problem is that the average character is starting to become stronger and faster where they can simply farm more in a shorter span of time. If the next league they release and it has the same amount of currency drops as Blight then the Chaos to Exalt ratio is going to be worse (for Chaos). That's simply how things have been trending EVEN in leagues where currency comes slower than usual.

I would propose 3 solution to this:

*Severe bot banning protocols. Way too much currency flipping bots on the market at the moment. GGG's current system is too lax on this.

*Have more currency sinks that are worthwhile. And I am not talking about currency sinks that generate more currency (ie. dump 3 chaos into Zana for Beyond and get back like 10 Chaos). Stuff that is related to crafting, progression or difficulty.

*Generally less item drops in general. Not that you should be getting less Chaos drops but less item drops in general like Rares/Whites/Blues etc. Loot clutter has gone through insane levels already. Remember that people can just dump their rares and generate free chaos via recipe (even high level players when in groups do this to farm currency as a group starting out in a league to amass large amounts of Chaos). Less item drops means stuff like less 6 socket drops from whites which gets turned into fusings which are them sold to make more chaos etc. I feel like this is a wide sweeping change that should come with 4.0 where people are receptive to such a massive change to itemization.

There also should generally be less stuff in general. Not in terms of drops but in terms of what CAN drop to begin with. Seems like so much stuff that is worth 1-2 Chaos that you can sell in bulk.
Yeah at this point reducing currency drops would probably just upset people. That said, I'd argue that synthesis' bigger problem was the way it was set up, not its drops. It was a fucking chore to use and learn and completely fucked the flow of the game.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
That said, I'd argue that synthesis' bigger problem was the way it was set up, not its drops
Drops were absolutely a problem with synthesis and arguably the bigger problem because it affected players that did not want to participate in the league mechanic. Map drops not only assumed you were going to play the Nexus (which most players quickly figured out they did not want to do), but they were bugged as well. A lot of players also quit before they reworked the memory modifiers to have much fairer (as in, much improved and a great source of interesting items that aren't currency but not insane like Legion) rewards and before they fixed the map drop rates.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Synthesis was a mess top to bottom and it's too bad because they put a ton of effort into it.

*Loot drops bugged especially map drops.
*Nexus itself was unintuitive, unrewarding and cumbersome to micromanage. It took many changes across two months to make it decent.
*Nexus zones could randomly kill you along with other numerous bugs related to the creep spawning.. even covering up items and not spotting them out in the end.
*Synthsis crafting system was bloated and everything at lower end was completely useless. This meant that the average player couldn't really meaningfully interact with it to their benefit.
*Synthsis had immense power creep due to Synethsis items. I am personally glad they aren't in the economy, it's absurd that an item implicit can have half the amount of mods and twice the power on explicit.
*Crafting required navigating and parsing through thousands of texts and numbers on a website to figure our synthesis results. This was so disastrous that they started being more transparent with mechanics like Oiling. GGG blames it on the dataminkng but it is a fundamentally flawed system.

That said the bosses, core concept of league mechanic, spell and Ascendancy reworks, new items plus the art and lore were all great. Which is why its disheartening to list Synthesis as a disappointing league because there was so much goodness packed in as well.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to maps to be become more like multizone setup similar how they handled Descent events.

Btw Tarke on his recent video has some pretty nice predictions about 4.0.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
One note about banning bots. Mass banning currency bots will make the game feel much worse. I can't remember the last time I flipped some currency and it wasn't a bot. Dealing with people/trade in this game feels terrible. GGG is sort of stuck here.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Yep - its the same issue that Diablo 3s AH ran into. The more efficient and easier you make trading, the more value you put on actual trading rather than playing the game and finding items. POE already suffers from that quite a bit, and the lower the barriers to participating in trade the more that will become true.

That was the issue with Diablo 3s AH, not the real money side of things. It made trade so easy that everyone did it, and when you have a market with huge amounts of liquidity and no barriers to entry it enabled trading to become the main activity of the game rather than playing.

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That was the issue with Diablo 3s AH, not the real money side of things. It made trade so easy that everyone did it, and when you have a market with huge amounts of liquidity and no barriers to entry it enabled trading to become the main activity of the game rather than playing.
The stupid difficulty also pushed you further to trade, as that was more efficient that even MF farming. The steady removal of easy goldfarming spots also made clear that they wanted you to spend real money.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know I am a bit of an outlier, having a single character per league, but I wondered what people concentrate on after killing uber elder.
I've killed him 3 times now, whilst trying to get an elder i86 bone helmet to drop (not a single one on Xbo trade), but I wonder if there's is better ways to spend my time whilst trying to get items and currency to tweak up my build.
Delve is the obvious choice, I am down to about level 200, limited by how much sulphate I can gather.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Drops were absolutely a problem with synthesis and arguably the bigger problem because it affected players that did not want to participate in the league mechanic. Map drops not only assumed you were going to play the Nexus (which most players quickly figured out they did not want to do), but they were bugged as well. A lot of players also quit before they reworked the memory modifiers to have much fairer (as in, much improved and a great source of interesting items that aren't currency but not insane like Legion) rewards and before they fixed the map drop rates.
Despite the fixes that came in, no one wanted to play synthesis. Because it's simply not much fun (too much tinkering, trying to figure out the shitty crafting system). There's a reason why it didn't get promoted to the core game, and it ain't cuz of drops.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Despite the fixes that came in, no one wanted to play synthesis. Because it's simply not much fun (too much tinkering, trying to figure out the shitty crafting system). There's a reason why it didn't get promoted to the core game, and it ain't cuz of drops.
There were quite some people who liked the tinkering and love the Synthesis crafting system. They were the ones who complained about the loot drops as there were legitimate issues. Zip for example loved Synthesis but even he complained about drops early on.

Ultimately it was a combination of both and yes Bestiary league was cumbersome as well. Crafting system and managing beast was something very few people liked but on top of that the Beasts themselves had low drops.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There were quite some people who liked the tinkering and love the Synthesis crafting system. They were the ones who complained about the loot drops as there were legitimate issues. Zip for example loved Synthesis but even he complained about drops early on.

Ultimately it was a combination of both and yes Bestiary league was cumbersome as well. Crafting system and managing beast was something very few people liked but on top of that the Beasts themselves had low drops.
I meant generally, not that literally no one liked it.

There was also the issue of collecting junk and wasting inventory space, management that contributes to pulling you away from action.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that playability wasn't a problem, but that drops were as much of a problem as the league's design.

Case in point, Synthesis going core might not be related to drops, but Legion was definitely made to drop mountains of loot as a response to how poorly received Synthesis rewards were.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017

They have hinted at new character models when talking about MTX on podcasts and it is very much needed.

While they are unlikely to add to the campain, they definitely need an alternate way of going through it as it has been a growing topic for a while now. (Plus with D4 showing a non linear campain now it seems fitting)

Huge improvements or an engine change are in the realm of possibility, due to the age of the game, but also seeing how their ambitions for the game are somewhat hindered by it, Blight being the latest example of that.

After that it's everyone's guess, they have hinted at several failed experiments like in-game builds that could come to fruition in a massive game changing update, something around trading could be possible, a new class is quite unlikely but it would be a great time to introduce one, massive changes to some core aspects of the game could happen, who knows, but those seem like small things compared to what they have already done in regular updates.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Class wise the only thing I see being done is a new Ascendancy per class. New classes make no sense in PoE at this rate.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just watched the Diablo 4 gameplay trailer and read up on it's details..

Path of Exile is safe
I'm not saying that playability wasn't a problem, but that drops were as much of a problem as the league's design.

Case in point, Synthesis going core might not be related to drops, but Legion was definitely made to drop mountains of loot as a response to how poorly received Synthesis rewards were.
Drops are easy to fix, though. If drops were the biggest problem with synthesis, we'd be playing it right now.

Synthesis doesn't exist because it's mechanics and execution were fundamentally poor.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Synthesis was half baked. I like the idea, I enjoy tabletop games that do similar to what they were trying with Synthesis, it just didnt work drops or no.

They can probably fix it or rework the synthesis items/implicit stuff. Maybe.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
It was just a very rushed league, to compensate for the lack of order to the synth crafting they gave it a stupid high ceiling. And it took them how long before they made the nexus actually worthwhile to run?

It was still a league I enjoyed more than Legion and Blight just due to the amount of things I could do. I've done delve so many times, I've done the temple so many times, I've run through the atlas and done uber so many times as well. Legion offered some but limited endgame content and blight just has an extended TD. I really hope with 4.0 and after they start to refine existing ideas instead of throwing a bunch of things at the wall and hoping it sticks. There is way too much mechanic bloat as it is.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I know I am a bit of an outlier, having a single character per league, but I wondered what people concentrate on after killing uber elder.
I've killed him 3 times now, whilst trying to get an elder i86 bone helmet to drop (not a single one on Xbo trade), but I wonder if there's is better ways to spend my time whilst trying to get items and currency to tweak up my build.
Delve is the obvious choice, I am down to about level 200, limited by how much sulphate I can gather.
For me I focus on challenges. This is the first league I hit 36/40. You can burn currency buying sulphite scarabs if you want to delve more.

----

I just built a Bleed Lacerate Gladiator and I'm in love. It's so good. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to get impale to calculate on POB. Does it do it automatically? There isn't much chance involved since I have 100% chance to impale and resolute technique. I didn't see anything in the Calc tab.

Also I got the first decent drop from the "Izaro will drop an additional Unique Item when Slain" Darkshrine in a Mjolner. Which has me considering another build but I want to finish the gladiator first. Any decently strong Mjolner builds out there? Since arc's been on the decline I'm not sure those are still viable without a ton of investment.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
ExileCon livestream details:

Day 1:
* There will be a countdown to stream
* 1h pre-show
* 4.0.0 mega-expansion announcement
* 1h panel/discussion/speculation based on announcement, streamers + at least 1 senior developer
* 4.0.0 gameplay demo
* 3.9.0 deep-dive + audience questions if time
* 4.0.0 deep-dive + audience questions if time
* 2 more hours of unspecified content

Day 2:
* 7 hours of unspecified content, including racing finale

Last edited:

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My brother is going to be there. I was initially going to go but the dates it is falling on will be interrupting my study/research shit.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
There has been a lot of "deep dive" teasing from GGG side, so here is my prediction for 4.0.0:

We are going to deep dive into another dimension (breach, harbingers, beyond or something else). Like, whole another continent or atlas in another dimension. That way there isn't a problem with adding stuff "past Uber Elder" where most people are not going to see the new content. So any of the new stuff needs to be more in parallel to current Atlas system than "after atlas".

"Alternative atlas" if you will, perhaps with wildly different mechanics from current mapping.

Last edited:

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not a major thing but I'm hoping they completely redo the Gods and their powers. The current system is so astonishingly tedious it's almost laughable. Sin talks about filling your veins with divine power and the end result is a series of very minor passive bonuses that hardly matter.

Something like Grim Dawns constellation system would be much better.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I know it's not a major thing but I'm hoping they completely redo the Gods and their powers. The current system is so astonishingly tedious it's almost laughable. Sin talks about filling your veins with divine power and the end result is a series of very minor passive bonuses that hardly matter.

Something like Grim Dawns constellation system would be much better.
I like this

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gods should definitely be passive stuff, we have enough active shit bloat as is
I don't mind them, they're not build enabling but are good to patch weaknesses in a build like bleeding or poison

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Gods should definitely be passive stuff, we have enough active shit bloat as is
I don't mind them, they're not build enabling but are good to patch weaknesses in a build like bleeding or poison

The constellations in Grim Dawn are passives and Procs as well - they are often build defining but tie into your character skills rather than replace them.e.g. Your cold attacks summon a massive whirlpool which slows and inflicts huge damage on everything within it.

I dont think they are bad - I just think the system doesn't match the in game descriptions at all, and it's quite a minor aspect of your character when all the descriptions and story make it out to be this amazing huge thing. Should having their divine power of the gods flowing through your veins be less impactful than a standard build item?

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I never really got the impression that the story was trying to make a big deal out of getting pantheon powers, it focused more on the history of the gods and your character helping Sin contain them and he's just lending some of that power.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pantheon system definitely half baked but if they over do it on the options then it's more bloat and power creep for the game.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Pantheon system definitely half baked but if they over do it on the options then it's more bloat and power creep for the game.

I just wish most of it was useful like the option for healthy recovery with that broke ass flask was. I think besides the minor for ms or health flasks I barely like or used much else.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
When at -60 chaos rez poison immunity is pretty ok.

outside of a few builds where I allow me to be weak in that area that's not a bad option or early leveling.

I tend to have open flasks spots on my preferred builds so I round that issue out there. Know it's not the best way but it's not what usually gets me killed so I can afford.

I hate physical damage the most in that game it's gotten me killed the most by far. I tend to over focus on mitigating elemental damage. I'm proud they nerfed the current meta cause of types like me. They ain't getting my legacy gear.