• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
New ring they shown off seems build enabling. Makes "Nova" skills target where you click instead of around you.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New ring they shown off seems build enabling. Makes "Nova" skills target where you click instead of around you.
This is nice but I don't like the less area modifier on it.

Really good for Vortex though. Also I wonder if they interact with CWDT where if triggered the Nova appears around the enemy it triggered from rather than the player. There is no mention that the skill has to be cast by you.

Also wonder how this interacts with EK Nova and spells changed by Sire of Shards.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason I would recommend going for a spell caster (over like an attack based build) is because spell casters don't have to worry about accuracy but more importantly they aren't as dependent on the quality/rolls on their weapons to scale their damage. That means you can progress into the end game with mediocre weapons as a spell caster.
I don't think accuracy is a problem anymore with precision aura, getting good weapons could be a problem true. I'm sure there are decent-ish uniques for cyclone now anyway.

edit: wiki is fixed by the way

Last edited:

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Gems are today right? I'm pretty sure icicle mine is still going to be broken if you invest in levels, but I need the gem info for it first. I'm assuming that the projectiles are not hard capped at 4, and increase with levels. If that's the case you could get to 6-7 projectiles with some investment, and overall the nerfs to icicle mines won't mean much when fully geared.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Golem ementalist + whatever self-cast you want is a decent league starter-they left the buff stacking alone and it was borderline degenerate last league. The golem gems are easier to get now w/ the 3.8 cards and the scaling is good from poverty/ssf gear on up because the ascendancy and tree do so much heavy lifting.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gem info out and includes Awakened gems!

The Curse on Hit, Cast on Crit, Chain and Melee physical Awakened gems are insane!

Barrage and Ballista support look weak damage numbers wise but they probably did that on purpose due to internal testing. Need to try it out in practice but I am underwhelmed by the numbers right now.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that while they may not be THAT expensive or difficult to get a lvl1 version... buying lvl5 20% quality versions will cost several Exalts.

I don't even want to think about what double corrupted ones will cost.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that while they may not be THAT expensive to get a lvl1 version... buying lvl5 20% quality versions will cost several Exalts.

I don't even want to think about what double corrupted ones will cost.
They are going to be several exalts alone due to rarity. Neon already expects as much for the top tier awakened gems. Fully expect them to be that expensive since the Ziz event. A lot of the top 1 percent of the people who play are going to play that SSFHC. League start is going to be different this time around.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like softcore league will be mostly the same but Hardcore trade league is going to be a ghost land. Most hardcore players will be playing on SSF this league for the event.

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
Quick napkin math, that I probably messed up, shows that 6 ballista support are a bit better than 4 RAT. That's with Multi totem and not counting the increased damage and attack speed nodes at the Watchtower cluster.

That's one extra placement, but you place them faster, so I'm thinking it's more or less the same, and a full ballista build would be noticeably better with the nodes south of duelist?

And yeah, that curse on hit is bananas. Added cold and added chaos are pretty neat too.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid area and Orb of storms + woke curse on hit + woke chain support + Assassin's mark + (Enfeeble? Temporal chain? Warlord's Mark? ) + (Elemental Proliferation Support? Ice Bite Support?)

Hummmm

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am bit salty that they moved back reward Portal to 36 challenges. I expected Blight 24 challenges portal reward was going to be standard going forward.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of crazy additions to those Awakened Gems require level 5 of those gems and good luck with that ;p

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Could put into those weapon swap gem slots while leveling to 100.

But yeah Awakened support lvl 5 will be at least several exalts. Lvl 6 ones will be tens of exalts.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Could put into those weapon swap gem slots while leveling to 100.

But yeah Awakened support lvl 5 will be at least several exalts. Lvl 6 ones will be tens of exalts.
Leveling those gems to lvl 5 will require around the same EXP as leveling a gem multiple times to lvl 20. It will be way harder then leveling Empower.
I will probably make few characters and die before i level one ;p
Most people will probably level to 4 and try to corrupt.
I expect even level 5 to cost tens of exalts.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Im still torn on what to start with. Ive never played a Miner. Arc mines look good but I wonder how big the hit is to Icicle mines.

On the other hand, Vortex/Cold Snap seems really good too.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Im still torn on what to start with. Ive never played a Miner. Arc mines look good but I wonder how big the hit is to Icicle mines.

On the other hand, Vortex/Cold Snap seems really good too.
Icicle miner might be a little worse leveling, but it's going to be fine end game geared. For some reason people are forgetting you get an additional Projectile for every 2 prior Mines in Detonation Sequence. So when geared in maps icicle mines is going to be perfectly fine. The only real question is how does it feel while leveling. I'm still going to use icicle mines to level and if it doesn't feel good I'll swap to arc mines.

This is what my pre maps tree will look like. As you can see it will be easy to swap to any mine gem since I'm only taking generic mine nodes. If icicle mines feels bad I can easily swap to arc by just swapping gems.

Edit: Might not go phase acro in the league. Not sure yet.

Last edited:

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I think I"m set on running the main game with an Assassin Divine Ire and I managed to figure out how to salvage a Melee build to use my Delve Sulphite with so I'll be leveling that as well. For the melee character I'm gonna try having a four link for clearing and a 4-6 link separately for single target, and in addition to that I'm gonna try out using Dual Strike w/ built in melee splash from the jewel for the clearing link and if that doesn't somehow work out I'll just go back to AoE-based melee skills like Lacerate.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So now that path notes are out, which league starter you all going with?

We're jumpin' in tomorrow, folks
Since I won't be playing in the SSFHC event, I will be going with a Chieftain Burning Arrow build or a Deadeye Galvanic Arrow build. These are the two Arrow skills I have had least experience with so I want to at least try them out. Also with both of them I will have a Ballista and Ensnare arrow set up because you generally have a bunch of free slots as a bow character.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Fuck man, the Diablo 2 player in me makes it real hard not to do a ladder reset build that can clear most content with no gear so I'm probably gonna do ED/Contagion Trickster build again. It's the most successful build I've ever played and it doesn't seem like it got nerfed in the couple of seasons since I've played.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
still torn between starting with a bow build or running with a league starter and later swapping over once I have currency.

I haven't looked at the new skill tree/patch notes yet but I have no idea about the viability of Point Blank Rain of Arrows/Toxic Rain ballista build but that's probably what I'm going to do.

If not I'll just do some random mine build to start off and decide on what bow build down the line.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Are there bow builds that are tanky? I'm a little afraid to do one cuz I don't wanna be squishy
Scourge Arrow CI Trickster was fairly tanky. Hyrri'a Ire or Perfect Form then stack all the ES + evasion.

Ele Hit with Kaom Heart is also fairly tanky but Ele Hit has been nerfed by roughly 30% damage. Still good but not godlike as it once was (where you has enough damage and just put everything into life).

Otherwise Slayer or Champion can be tanky builds too with overleech or Fortify.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Pretty much set on Divine Ire totems I think.

Depending on endgame efficacy I might respec to tanky MoM ice novabolt Heiro once I can afford a 6L pledge of hands.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Icicle miner might be a little worse leveling, but it's going to be fine end game geared. For some reason people are forgetting you get an additional Projectile for every 2 prior Mines in Detonation Sequence. So when geared in maps icicle mines is going to be perfectly fine. The only real question is how does it feel while leveling. I'm still going to use icicle mines to level and if it doesn't feel good I'll swap to arc mines.

This is what my pre maps tree will look like. As you can see it will be easy to swap to any mine gem since I'm only taking generic mine nodes. If icicle mines feels bad I can easily swap to arc by just swapping gems.

Edit: Might not go phase acro in the league. Not sure yet.

You are right. It will be fun to mess around with either way. Tree looks nice too!

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Are there bow builds that are tanky? I'm a little afraid to do one cuz I don't wanna be squishy

I'm gonna play an Inquisitor. I will swap between Orb of storms as the main skill and as a support for Ball Lightning, Shock Nova, Divine Ire, Lightning Tendrils. I'm also gonna try different settings, COC, CWC ... OR MAYYYYYYYYYYYYBE NOT Mathil have done a league starter version of the Necromancer CoC Detonate Dead, I gonna be true to myself and throw my plan

I don't if I gonna SSF my map progression like I did last league tho

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
What are some of your favorite league starters resetera? ED/Cont seemed the craziest for me because it seemed not reliant on gear almost at all and simply on gem levels.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Think I'm gonna try some Freezing Pulse Totems for my league starter. Never tried it before. I see Wallach, who created the guide, downed Uber Elder on day 6 last league and that seems pretty fast to me for a build like this. Was gonna go Vortex CI but I did that too recently and want something completely new. Just hope it's not too rippy, guess we'll see.