• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Could have been a great league to counter HH shenanigans, replace mobs with delirium mobs after hitting the mirror, keep them white and add varying levels of mods to them. Crank up hp/damage as required and ensure you get equivalent exp. Instead they've just decided to make it a mod soup again.

Hitting a hard wall with this build after a streak of bad luck, I've spent 2k odd alts, a couple hundred scours and regals trying to hit the bleed mod + 2 other good mods on my elder bow with no luck. I've also spent around 700 fus so far trying to 6 link it with no luck. I'm out of currency and I have no desire to farm it all back up again.

That might be it for me this league unless I can think of another build I really would want to do and it might be for me playing PoE for a while. The infatuation with clear speed and the gradual power creep has made playing on the edge very un fun. You used to be able to play around it mechanically, which was a blast but as the power has crept up we've reached a point where unless you're well ahead of the damage/defense curve it's one shot city. Where you're going 100 one moment to 0 the next and you often have no idea what killed you. Combine that with the performance issues, the state of the leagues during launch, combined with everything else and POE has just become a very unpleasant experience for me at the higher tiers. Such a shame after metamorph.

The game needs to slow down, the overall power level needs to drop, QoL needs to be a focus and GGG really need to start testing these league properly.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Big patch for Delirium coming up. Rolled about 30 reds and will see how it is after patch.

Edit:Reading the patch details and lol like 15_ monster dmg reduction. They had to have tested this with fully geared HH characters. Only thing that makes sense.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on how much the fog slows down, I can see the strongbox zana mod being used to farm Delirium because it takes just a second to clear it out after opening and it also spawns enemies that contribute towards Delirium rewards.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
LMFAO @ that patch list. That was much bigger than I expected.

I didn't think they were going to nerf Deliirum incoming damage even more after the previous one which already made Delirium much easier.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Really have to question GGGs QA testing right now. I know you can't catch everything, but this is a little ridiculous. Leagues shouldn't be this broken at the start, and have to be essentially beta tested by the community.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Really have to question GGGs QA testing right now. I know you can't catch everything, but this is a little ridiculous. Leagues shouldn't be this broken at the start, and have to be essentially beta tested by the community.
Yeah GGG owes the community a post mortem explanation on this. All of this stuff was painfully obvious the moment you set foot in maps.

My guess is that they just had a lot of essential stuff working first (like monster spawnings, behaviors, animations, effects and the fog not impacting performance) and then kept the difficulty scaling high because they thought the players could handle it as they usually do. Remember that they didn't think people would beat Uber Elder that easily or Delve that deep that quickly so they thought it would be fine to keep the mechanic overtuned while giving players the option to "opt out" when things got rough.

I am getting the feeling that Delirium might be over nerfed now and it's basically just going to be like having 2-3 Sextants attached to every single map from now on. But have to try on juiced up red maps first before making that claim.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Delirium also was clearly not tested in Acts. The encounters were way too hard for the first few Acts but got more manageable in maps where you had your build set up. Not everybody speedruns the acts to get to mapping ASAP so I think that affected the largest majority of the player base.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Delirium also was clearly not tested in Acts. The encounters were way too hard for the first few Acts but got more manageable in maps where you had your build set up. Not everybody speedruns the acts to get to mapping ASAP so I think that affected the largest majority of the player base.
Not so embarrassing now:

I died when I just got out of Lioneye's Watch and interacted with Delirium the first time. That has never happened to me lol.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what the numbers for player retention are like. A bigger drop then normal would explain a patch like this.

Edit:Servers up

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I bet it's fallen off a cliff.

I understand wanting to deliver hard content at the endgame, but this content was ridiculous even at the midgame. I would love a super difficult and rewarding endgame encounter that I deliberately build toward, but instead we got extremely difficult and unrewarding content shoved into every map. If you managed to self flagellate enough to get splinters and try the endgame encounter, you might run into some dick enemy that recharges ES faster than you can DPS.

Like, how is a normal player supposed to find anything enjoyable in that? Even the top tier people were complaining, which is a huge signal that they fucked up.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I bet it's fallen off a cliff.

I understand wanting to deliver hard content at the endgame, but this content was ridiculous even at the midgame. I would love a super difficult and rewarding endgame encounter that I deliberately build toward, but instead we got extremely difficult and unrewarding content shoved into every map. If you managed to self flagellate enough to get splinters and try the endgame encounter, you might run into some dick enemy that recharges ES faster than you can DPS.

Like, how is a normal player supposed to find anything enjoyable in that? Even the top tier people were complaining, which is a huge signal that they fucked up.
The idea is that a normal player hasn't gotten to the point where they are farming maps yet. People forget that it takes most normal peoplelike 15-20 hours to beat the campaign and people don't in fact play 8 hours a day. If you play 1-2 hours a day, then by the time you get to maps GGG has already pushed out a few patches. It's still no excuse though.

Also it has dropped off but its also because it had a higher than expected peak due to Coronavirus. So its hard to say what the real story is if there is a big drop off.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Steamcharts shows PoE having a 130k -> 115k drop after day 1, then on day 4 you get another drop from 115k to 100k. But it has held in about 100k concurrents since then, barely moving at all.

I'm not sure what the usual graphs look like, but so far this league is doing pretty well IMO.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually doing delirium a lot while leveling and thats before nerf. I dont think it was unbalanced.
I got 2 uniques on Ledge and Tabula in Prison from Delirium on league start, so it was totally worth it :)

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I like how the new delirium reward system works. It gives you reasons for pushing forward even though the first reward might not be to your exact liking.

edit-- haven't tried myself yet

Last edited:

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Omg, what have they done, this is just ridiculous now. I just did T1 Beach with Alva and it just rains loot.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Looking forward to playing this afternoon after work to see how the new changes feel. With all of the 30-50% nerfs, I expect to crush the content on my high-tier build (which I should, because if I can't most other people can't even play it).

I expect it might even feel over nerfed for people who tried to match its challenge with investment, but I'll reserve any judgment on that front until I try a 100% t16 guardian map.

Glad to hear people stuck with it despite the poor balancing. That balefire set looks fantastic and I'm really considering a purchase, especially since I have so many other items that pair well with it (though maybe it's a bit too similar to sunspire).

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest the rewards don't feel that much better. Just a bit.
I juiced up 3 maps and planning to use 4 +pack sextants to see if it's better.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest the rewards don't feel that much better. Just a bit.
I juiced up 3 maps and planning to use 4 +pack sextants to see if it's better.
You have to remember that before most people couldn't advance past 3-4 tiers before exiting out.

Now with the changes, it's easier to get to high levels like 7+ due to various changes they have made so people will be getting higher tiers more naturally. And higher tiers have objectively more rewards than before and it's more spread out which is the fundamental difference. You don't get screwed if you rolled Armor rewards.

The Delirium plus old content is relevant too now although in my experience it doesnt always properly pause the encounter especially if you are close to ending the fog.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I often don't reach 6 rewards though, despite clearing most of the map. They just need to look at some maps with lower density or shit layout and adjust accordingly idk.
Alva gives good +rewards it feels like but even then it's hard to reach 6+

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yea pretty different results on different maps but even then on average you should be getting higher rewards now.

I wonder how hard Simulacrum is now. I am closing in on 300 splinters.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yea pretty different results on different maps but even then on average you should be getting higher rewards now.

I wonder how hard Simulacrum is now. I am closing in on 300 splinters.
I've had 300 splinters since day 4 (I think I've found my forever league starter, even with the broken state of Delirium I only died 24 times to level 90 and mid red maps, always opening mirrors with an average reward of 5), but seeing that boss that ends your run (es recharging cheese boy) kept me from the attempt.

FP totems are crazy good from a play style perspective. On 40c of gear (30 of that in a 5L soul mantle) I tore through content (not late Delirium on long levels, of course). Setting totems and offscreening is the ultimate survivability buff.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The changes sound good, might jump back in. Think I'm going to buy a ton of stash tabs though. I loathe inventory management these days.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp got my alt Hierophant to the end of Act 10 at last. Hadn't much currency to outfit him with. But after respeccing his tree (which feels a little awkward) he had a respectable 17K Storm Brand damage. I went into a map and basically evaporated. It's my first low life build but I think I might have fucked up somewhere. Oh well, bed now and I'll sort it out later today. In between dying the storm brands are fun ;)

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
I nearly hit a dream ice shot bow. Wish I hit the +2 additional arrows, but I can't hate on this. I hit ele and multi with alts, and then the regal hit additional arrow. Still can't believe that happened. Wanted to see if I could get lucky after buying the base. Unfortunately don't have the exalts to finish this craft, but at least I got my end game bow.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone remind me what the smart way is to get off-colour sockets on items? I know there's a better way than just forcing it with Chromatics but cannot remember the details...

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make your item 3 sockets, then color them as you want
Then use the 4 sockets recipe, if it doesn't hit what you want, go back and forth between 3 and 4 until you hit it

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game is unplayable this afternoon/evening here. Huge random lag spikes all the time, keep getting rubberbanded back in the middle of packs or into walls

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed in a lot of POB's the flasks are ticked as active. Should I be basically using flasks as they come off cooldown? As it is I'm generally fairly circumspect with them.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I noticed in a lot of POB's the flasks are ticked as active. Should I be basically using flasks as they come off cooldown? As it is I'm generally fairly circumspect with them.
Flasks can be 30% of your DPS and a significant source of survivability. You should generally use flasks on cooldown while mapping with sufficient monster density. When bossing, you should pop your damage flasks whenever you can dump some damage (generally at the start of a fight when you pop your vaal skills).

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Typically a build uses 4 buff flasks and one life flask for emergencies. It's a main complaint of players that doing the "flask piano" (2 3 4 5 on cooldown, for instance) is very tedious and forces people to use macros if they don't want to fuck up their wrist, arms, etc

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Flasks are an essential part of your build especially for mapping which is what you are doing in this game 98% of the time. They offer immense defensive and offensive capabilities. In high density areas they should always be available to use.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I want a in-built DPS Breakdown of my damage. As Im playing Spellslinger, no idea which % of my damage is made by Kinetic Bolt, Spellslinger, Volatile Dead or Detonate Dead (direct or secondary damage).

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of in-built things I'd like. Why on earth is there no combat log? I can usually never tell what actually killed me.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of in-built things I'd like. Why on earth is there no combat log? I can usually never tell what actually killed me.
They have been asked this numerous times and the answer is that the game is overly complex and there are like a billion calculations happening at once as to what is dealing damage.

Streamers have luxury of streaming and they can clip their rips. And usually even then you have to slow down frame by frame to see what actually killed them only to realize that it was some invisible projectile/attack or desync which caused them die before the attack even came out.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was going mad but there's a thread on Reddit saying the same thing. Since the patch yesterday maps have been far less rewarding In terms of progress. Even when I completely clear a map I'll be lucky to get to progress 5, and often it's a 4/2. It seems that the further you go into the map the less progress monsters give (which is the opposite of what the patch notes said). It's easy to test that something is up because if you go into a normal map (say Harbour Bridge) you can get up to level 8 rewards easily.