• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Tried to scour through the new info, did I miss any mention of the new tab they're bringing out or are they saving that for later?

edit: it appears they haven't announced it yet. Plz still be for maps!

Last edited:

BlueGeezer

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus.....

There are going full hog on the changes here! Killing Vaal Pact. Shaking up the atlas(Vault is a tier 7 map?!?!) and the new content....

Love it!

OP
OP
Dozer1003

Dozer1003

Oct 26, 2017
Orlando, FL
biwq8s31heyz.png

I wonder how ancestor's call works with splash effects.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
vaal pact nerf, finally...

good, hope we see more original and diverse builds

also, slayer or scion slayer are getting really good with the new vaal pact

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
So what is going to happen with our old guild? We still have about 60 members or so on it.

Zynx

Oct 25, 2017
Changes look exciting! Looks like GGG really caught on to how popular the tempest helm was and now a lot of items can make pseudo 5/6-Links.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have like a million things racing through my mind.

So now we essentially have 8 links to work with. This dramatically lowers the power levels of most uniques in the game and raises the general power level of the game. I don't know how hard it will be acquire those items but the top end of folks will get their hands on them and just demolish the content.

But I think there will be some trickle down effect where even getting a standard 6 link will be a lot easier (a sword which has 3 sockets can get 3 affixes that are gems so an easy 6 link there).

And then those new gems. I dislike that the new skill gems are all based around Necromancy but man the support gems are really nice. Lots of new AOE options.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Who has control of it and are they over here? I made a guild but converting that one would be a lot easier..

KKRT who posted a few pages back is the leader. A few others and myself were officers there so I don't have much power unfortunately.

Edit: Actually I believe he posted in the reveal trailer thread over in discussion.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm gonna need one of those guild invites when the new league starts.

As for last league, I completed my goal of owning a headhunter! Found 1 doctor, used Ex for the rest. My luck in pure currency drops was shit for the league, something like 7 Ex the entire time. Thank God for the Vault.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Lacerated Slayer is still viable but people use Starforge now with it for end game damage and clearing.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Lacerated Slayer is still viable but people use Starforge now with it for end game damage and clearing.

OK, thanks. Is there anything I should know about as a "new" player?

Is there any way to auto pick up items? Is there a way to highlight all the items dropped instead of having to hover over each one individually? Is there any way to run?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No way to auto pick up items.

You just press Z to see all items on your screen. Since that is going to show way too many items, you want to install a Loot Filter which only highlights the items you want to pick up. Link to the loot filter is in the OP for this thread.

There's no real running (you are always moving as fast as your character can manage) but you can make yourself a lot faster by speccing your character and using Quicksilver flasks. You end up running like Flash around a map but you have to take your character to that level. There are also movement skills that move you alsoround faster.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
The new expansion sounds pretty fucking awesome. Im looking forward to it.
KKRT who posted a few pages back is the leader. A few others and myself were officers there so I don't have much power unfortunately.

Edit: Actually I believe he posted in the reveal trailer thread over in discussion.

Hey, yeah i'm here.
I checked and there is no way to directly change the name through the site interface.
I will have to send email to the support, so i need a new name from you guys.

For me generally the name doesnt matter, but if you want, we can change it.

OP
OP
Dozer1003

Dozer1003

Oct 26, 2017
Orlando, FL
Hey, yeah i'm here.
I checked and there is no way to directly change the name through the site interface.
I will have to send email to the support, so i need a new name from you guys.

For me generally the name doesnt matter, but if you want, we can change it.

i collected the maps for a "reset" tag but have been sitting on them if you get the name changed.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
PoE Era, I have an issue.

Against my better judgment, I decided to redownload this instead of play games that I haven't put hundreds of hours into. Because fuck my backlog I guess.

Is there a recommended build for someone that doesn't plan on playing with other people at all? I use this as my podcast game and want to devote as little brainpower as I have to to it. I don't think I've ever stuck with one character for long enough to make it to the "endgame", and I haven't played since they added everything in Fall of Oriath, so I don't know how tough the game gets after Act 3 now.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nevermind I am dumb. Abyss Jewels can ONLY go into Abyss items or your skill tree. This makes it so that the new items need to pretty good to make it worthwhile using it. That new Belt base is a good start though.

Is there a recommended build for someone that doesn't plan on playing with other people at all? I use this as my podcast game and want to devote as little brainpower as I have to to it. I don't think I've ever stuck with one character for long enough to make it to the "endgame", and I haven't played since they added everything in Fall of Oriath, so I don't know how tough the game gets after Act 3 now.
Giving a playstyle preference would be helpful. Do you like attack skills, spell casting, totems, bows? Ranger playstyle, tank/melee playstyle, spellcaster?

Also probably best to just wait for the new league which is going to have a lot of changes. It launches early December.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Giving a playstyle preference would be preferable. Do you like attack skills, spell casting, totems, bows? Ranger playstyle, tank/melee playstyle, spellcaster?

Also probably best to just wait for the new league which is going to have a lot of changes. It launches early December.
Well if it launches in early December I might as well wait (even though December was going to be Xenoblade month).

I'm fine with just about any playstyle I've found. Bows are fun, melee is fun once you get past the super early game, totems are fun, spells are fun.

Not a big fan of minions though. Can't keep track of them. And unless I'm playing a melee build with Agility I almost always get the "You can miss" ability because holy fuck I hate missing.

If I had to chose one it would probably be bows just because I love split shot support and using it to kill tons of enemies at once. I always worry about playing solo with bow and arrow though just because I figure everyone will be bumrushing me and I'll miss out on the biggest benefit.

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Abyss League sounds hype... It'll be the first time I'm planning to get deep into PoE. Only played a total of ~7 hours for now so just have an initial feel for the game.

I'll be looking to run a simple looking build like this spin-to-win fireball slinging build at the beginning of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrksFvVWOM0

Hopefully I'll be able to find an updated guide for a build like that when 3.1 hits because without one I'll surely mess up everything.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Best beginner bow builds are Tornado Shot, Lightning Arrow and Ice Shot. They are all pretty good but Tornado Shot has the added advantage of not needing another skill for single target (it's not great at single target but it will work well enough until super late game). With Lightning Arrow and Ice Shot, people couple that with Barrage for single target damage.

For new players I would recommend Ice Shot the most (Death's Opus or Chin Sol version). It's the safest of the three and the easiest to gear, level up and progress on skill tree. Pick Raider ascendancy, get Death's Opus and Queen of the Forest ... spec for high evasion, physical damage (which all gets converted to cold damage) so you can have fast movement speed, don't have to worry about elemental ailments and great clear speed with good single target. You will be a bit squishy but with the inherent chill/freeze effect of Ice Shot and the high evasion, you will be safer than the other builds.

Lightning Arrow has a higher damage ceiling but is also more susceptible to reflect. It also comes with an in built Fork-like effect so you don't need to add "Chain" support gem for clear speed. Leveling is a bit trickier for new players as it requires some blue gems but not too bad. Most of the pathing is similar to Ice Shot as well.

Tornado Shot can scale into late game into a very magic find heavy build thanks to Windripper. A lot of high level players use Tornado Shot Windripper build to farm currency but the build still requires some investment to get to that point. Budget Tornado Shot with Doomfletch Prism bow works too.

You can easily find build videos on these but due to the upcoming 3.1 patch, there might be changes to them. Most of it should still work though as they aren't exactly god tier builds that need to be nerfed/removed from the game:
Ice Shot:

Budget Tornado Shot:

Windripper Magic Find Tornado Shot (expensive)
youtube32oUtKBwZNs

I also personally recommend Cold Spectral Throw, Frost Blades Raider, Blade Flurry (Scion, Gladiator, Raider), Sunder Berserker, Cyclone Slayer builds as well. Honestly anything with Raider feels really good.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, most of that flew right over my head. But if I can use bow and arrow solo, then that's good news for me.

I'm impressed at how much has been changed since the last time I played. There's like, a real tutorial now? That's cool. And more crap littered around the maps, which looks nice.

They even added wheel skeletons!

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
New race tomorrow, who is going to try it out?

Also, how big is the new guild now?

I'm still debating what I wanna do. I wanna do Ascendant or Occultist, but not sure what skill. Debating between BV decay occultist, EK nova ascendant, or maybe something like a variation on Mathils wild strike elementalist, but as ascendant instead.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still debating what I wanna do. I wanna do Ascendant or Occultist, but not sure what skill. Debating between BV decay occultist, EK nova ascendant, or maybe something like a variation on Mathils wild strike elementalist, but as ascendant instead.

this league I played an Oros infernus wildstrike build and I love it:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1970975

great offense / defense mechanic

I did the life regeneration build and worked great

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
So the MTX sale going onis kinda... hard to follow. A sale per hour and it's set to repeat on the 26th.

Luckily a kind redditor has a spreadsheet listing them as they happen so if you see something, you might know when to look for it on the repeat sale.

Spreadsheet is linked in this thread.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
lol friend tells me to do mayhem just to get the boxes when you hit the level thresholds.

Tabula drops at level 3.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Two of the items I wanted to buy went on sale in middle of night...

What is GGG thinking with this...

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Aw man, I forgot how good ED+Contagion is. Especially for breaches. b

For defense, I'm running MoM and block. Shield Necro with CWDT + Desecrate + Bone Offering on top. Works pretty well. Blight with Temp Chains on Blashpemy supplements perfectly. All but shuts down Xandro and buffs the DoT. Now I just need a Rumi's and a Witchfire Brew and I'm set.

Also, I made it to maps without a single death this time. Yay me. Let's see If I can reach 85 with a clean sheet.

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time trying mayhem and it is nuts. Getting a bunch of tormented spirits during a Tora quest is crazy.

screenshot-0029jco31.png

That thing was too fast with insane attack speed and regen. I gave up after dying 4/5 times. So much fun though.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was going to run Mayhem today but decided to just wait it out. I put a lot of time into Harbinger and I am keen to go in fresh and keen in a couple of weeks. Both my school and work holidays start the day War for the Atlas drops so I feel rather lucky.

Kitava seemingly being a map boss scares me though.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the Arcane Lightning Armour Pack was not in sale, shame, that is the one I wanted to buy since next league I want to focus on lightning builds

anyone got something from the sale?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if there's a worse feeling in this game than having a unique item drop and it turns out to be a worse version of one you already have, but that has to be up there.

At least the Mayhem league is throwing out enough of them for me that I'm still getting plenty of new ones, but every time I get a repeat my heart sinks.