• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Whoever needs Shield Charge + Fortify? Flicker Strike/Multistrike Support/Fortify Support -combo is the most fun ever thing for my summoner. Can't die to syndicate member one-shots if I'm constantly teleporting! Before this I was running around 90% of time anyway, outside occasionally using offering and my spell totem. Necromantic Aegis + Victario's Charity combo also gives me near-infinite frenzy charges so I can keep flickering.

This plus faster-casting/flame-dash makes combat a bit of a blur but hey, I feel like I can handle yellow-tier syndicate encounters thanks to this. Haven't got to red tier yet.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't make the Elder spawn. Everytime I try to extend his influence, Shaper steamsrolls and gets 4-5 maps from him

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I can't make the Elder spawn. Everytime I try to extend his influence, Shaper steamsrolls and gets 4-5 maps from him

Make sure you're following what maps the questline tells you to go into. If you ignore the Zana questline, the elder can't spawn at all. If you have followed the questline, I guess look at some guides online =(
(also spread his influence in a fat circle, not thin lines or ull constantly get cut off and lose progress)

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I think shaper can "progress" one map at a time, meaning he can't jump 2 maps forward on a single front, in a single turn (you completing a map is a single "turn"). However, elder areas need to be connected. So if shaper can take a map that splits elder area in 2, one of those 2 elder areas will disappear. Meaning worst case scenario: shaper can reduce elder area into less than half with a single move.

Make sure you protect those "critical area-splitting maps" by leaving an elder area buffer between them and shaper.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was going to mention it in my post. Rewards have no scaling on higher tier maps but the difficulty ramps up to ludicrous levels.

But the rewards themselves are very powerful (well Stronghold rewards)... it's just that you don't need to be in red maps to access the best ones which is the actual crux of the problem.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

If you want to quickly do the incursion, syndicate and bestiary challenges your best bet would be to spam run white maps (after you do your dailies). For Delve however, since sulphite scales with Map Tier, doing white maps is not good for you.

There is no reason to do red maps besides getting to the Shaper and Red/Uber Elder.

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering if I am the only one to play on Xbox on here. Cause if not the Xbox PoE discord is pretty nice

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really want to get into this, but somehow i just can't. I've watched a few hours of beginner guides, tried reading up. Thought i had a decent understanding of what to look out for (loot/build-wise). Started playing, but i just constantly feel like i'm missing things. I see an item and in the end have no clue what a real upgrade is and what is not. Which currency to use or save for crafting. It's a bit too much, and it makes me sad because i know when i get into it and it clicks, i will be playing this for a long time.

Eldon

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to get into this, but somehow i just can't. I've watched a few hours of beginner guides, tried reading up. Thought i had a decent understanding of what to look out for (loot/build-wise). Started playing, but i just constantly feel like i'm missing things. I see an item and in the end have no clue what a real upgrade is and what is not. Which currency to use or save for crafting. It's a bit too much, and it makes me sad because i know when i get into it and it clicks, i will be playing this for a long time.
Follow a guide for league starter on the forum. Trust me, it looked to me like it does for you. When it clicks (and it will), you will be very happy. Go to https://www.pathofexile.com/forum, then choose amongst the classes/build section your favorite.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel your pain, I tried and failed to play the game on a number of occasions, for the same reasons, I will try and give you an idea of the things that I stopped / started doing to enjoy the game, bare in mind I am effectively very new to the game.

1) Have a build path in mind, no point picking up armour gear if you end up using evasion (for example).
2) As above, have a rough idea of what skills you want to use.
3) Once you've got this in mind only pick up gear that will either improve your build, or that you can sell for useful currency, look at the piece you've got, look at what you'll lose and what you'l gain from a new piece of gear, and balance it up.
4) Inventory anxiety is a big problem for me in this game, so 1-3 helped to massively trim down the clutter.
5) Elemental resists are EXTREMELY important, so you might end up having to pick them over and above other stats
6) Don't sweat the passive skill tree.
7) Use, and understand, your loot filter.

It's a really, really good game once it clicks, but the learning curve is HUGE.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
The game finally got its hooks in me with this past patch after quite a number of attempts over the course of a few years. I've played more in the past week than all the time I've played prior. I agree with everything that's been said about how hard it can be to just pick up and get into, but for some reason there was just like a perfect storm of stuff to get it to click this time.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
From what I have heard the early game stuff will probably be getting addressed in 4.0.

A lot of that info should be getting announced at Exile con next year. If anyone here is going, feel free to let me know. After the con I will be spending a few days going through Central Otago and other great wine regions and would be happy for anyone to come along too. Supposing you like both POE and wine, heh.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I also only really gave the game a fair shot with the new league (I guess thanks Blizzard) and I just ignore most of the stuff. Usually just check the dps and resistences on the character screen for now.

But I'm not too deep yet. Took me a bit till I found something I liked. Started with cyclone, but that ended up not grabbing me after I got the skill.

After a few more goes through Act 1 to check out some basics skills, I'm now doing Arc totems. Reminds me a lot of lightning trap assassin in Diablo 2, which was probably my most played build back then, so I suddenly feel like coming home and having a blast.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I also only really gave the game a fair shot with the new league (I guess thanks Blizzard) and I just ignore most of the stuff. Usually just check the dps and resistences on the character screen for now.

But I'm not too deep yet. Took me a bit till I found something I liked. Started with cyclone, but that ended up not grabbing me after I got the skill.

After a few more goes through Act 1 to check out some basics skills, I'm now doing Arc totems. Reminds me a lot of lightning trap assassin in Diablo 2, which was probably my most played build back then, so I suddenly feel like coming home and having a blast.

I've found that things like totem/mine/trap builds either immediately grab you as something you enjoy or you never like them. For me it's mostly been the former. I'm actually looking to try the new Brands out soon too.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New patch out tomorrow with lots of bug fixes, QoL stuff, new veiled mods and more importantly nerfing Syndicate members, ad spawns, visual clutter, syndicate items and Forts.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
New patch out tomorrow with lots of bug fixes, QoL stuff, new veiled mods and more importantly nerfing Syndicate members, ad spawns, visual clutter, syndicate items and Forts.

I kind of liked the hectic nature of the Syndicate members in red maps. Especially playing a glass cannon build.

I'm happy about the Delve changes though mostly. I'm at around 120 right now, so the early stuff is gone for me, but getting that much more azerite and sulphite will really speed up my going straight down till monster level 80 :)

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Maps which drop from the "Bargain" option in Betrayal Encounters will now drop at appropriate levels relative to the area that you are in.
Awww boo XD

Got a t11, t12, t7 and t6 from t1-2 maps lol

Mine changes seem good. I'm actually surprised how much sulphate early maps give compared to last league but it's awkward going to do 3 delves then come back to the map then go back to delve due to capacity issues so this sounds good.

No word only npc spawns. Zana and niko are too rare. I've done 8 or 9 full temples yet only seen zana show up randomly (not map mission) 5 times.

Last edited:

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, you just play it like any other arpg diablo clone, the baiscs are the same for all of them. Str, dex, resists, hp etc, then when you need something beyond you look into it one thing at a time. Most importantly some skills are pure trash and no matter how good the damage is - just no fun to play, like molten strike lol.
Also I don't understand emphasis on resists in poe specifically, you gonna get wiped in any arpg with them uncapped (and capped too in many cases). And the most important thing - all the loot is fucking garbage, you pick it mostly as vendor fodder, that's the saddest one actually, some kind of semi rmah from d3.

And they wiped damn atlas in standard, legacy maps can't be horizoned, sitting on a bunch of those t16 chimeras like a tool.
Btw the map color shifted to yellowish making it harder to see shit, just look at mino before and after for example.

Last edited:

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
So ready for this patch tomorrow. Syndicate balance has been pretty garbage since the league started.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Janus Perandus is the only one that gives me nightmares, his ground spikes are really hard (for me) to avoid, and they do a shed load of damage.

Where do GGG post the pre release patch notes?

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
The mastermind fight is a nightmare if you're running ES. Quite a few un-intuitive things going on all the while you're ignited, granted its slow but it completely prevents your ES recharge. Very annoying and now I have to get the intel all over again. The time it takes to do that is the worst part.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The mastermind fight is a nightmare if you're running ES. Quite a few un-intuitive things going on all the while you're ignited, granted its slow but it completely prevents your ES recharge. Very annoying and now I have to get the intel all over again. The time it takes to do that is the worst part.

I feel the same way. I dont really think the mastermind fight is all that well designed.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very unintuitive. I think I'll just do it again for the challenges, then stick to safehouses forever.

Still not sure what to play next. Almost 93 with arc ele, just building a map base for now. I have around 10 ex and I know ubers could be done on a fraction of that budget (with totems or something), but the prices for some body armours is insane for the builds I was eyeing before season start that they look unrealistic for now.

I need to look for a fun boss killer on that budget, but I'm terrible at assessing the value of items.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way. I dont really think the mastermind fight is all that well designed.

I think it's well designed, but only getting the six chances and having it reset completely is dumb. It should be like the delve bosses and let you try it till you kill it.

Personally I think they also need to at least double if not triple intelligence gains, but maybe that's just me. You got a full temple every 11 maps in Incursion for way more rewards, I can do 25+ maps easy without unlocking a single safehouse that contains a few chests that might have good loot if I was lucky enough to get the person I wanted in place, but might just drop loot that my filter doesn't even show.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I want to start up a new character based on loot that I've found recently and I'm torn between two things:

1 - Some type of necromancer. I have quite a few uniques that boost skeletons or zombies in some way, but I'm not sure what specific type of build to go for. Also not sure how I'd like the fact that Spectre has that initial setup every session of killing the right mob to rez. I also know these tend to be quite good builds for early league, and as my current build (lancing steel) has turned out to be not great in that respect, that is appealing.

2- Armageddon Brand. I have no specific gear for this, but last night I found a 16% superior gem for it and I know some people are having really good results with brand builds.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
How do you get the person you want in the safe house? Is the only way to move around is when they give you the swap option. I also feel i never get to get the ones that are already there rank up. I want them at level three

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Level 86 with Minelie my Profane decay occultist and I'm dying a lot. I'm being on level 86 for like the last 6 hours and the (my) map progression so slow.
I'm kinda bored after 80h of phase running through packs of enemies. Maybe it's the right time to start with something else... a Miner Sabo

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
How do you get the person you want in the safe house? Is the only way to move around is when they give you the swap option. I also feel i never get to get the ones that are already there rank up. I want them at level three
It is random but there are some ways to better the odds. Swapping from one section to another is random and unreliable, the more reliable way is to interrogate the person repeatedly until they are no longer in any of the 4 branches. When unaffiliated they are more likely to join in a random branch's activities and give you the option of having them join that branch. It is still random though and requires you to delevel and then relevel them up.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ok, so I'm worth something like 17 ex (13 of it in pure ex+c)... what's a crazy new build I can make that demolishes all content on that budget?

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I want to start up a new character based on loot that I've found recently and I'm torn between two things:

1 - Some type of necromancer. I have quite a few uniques that boost skeletons or zombies in some way, but I'm not sure what specific type of build to go for. Also not sure how I'd like the fact that Spectre has that initial setup every session of killing the right mob to rez. I also know these tend to be quite good builds for early league, and as my current build (lancing steel) has turned out to be not great in that respect, that is appealing.

2- Armageddon Brand. I have no specific gear for this, but last night I found a 16% superior gem for it and I know some people are having really good results with brand builds.

for the record this hasn't been the case for a bit over a year now,Spectres stay on logout and only need to be resummoned if they die(which generally isn't really something that happens)

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
nice to see those little azurite spawns you see on side paths aren't totally useless now

I popped open a flawed vein at 100ish depth and got 40something out of it

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so I'm worth something like 17 ex (13 of it in pure ex+c)... what's a crazy new build I can make that demolishes all content on that budget?
Probably just some Totem build to be honest. 17 EX still isn't that much considering something like a 6 link Inpulsa is worth around 14 Exalts these days and that's the type of item you would want if you want "demolish" all content. Though you can beat most content with much cheaper than that.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I put all of my unique in my quad stash for one Chaos orb. And they are spamming the hell out of me for the Essence worm and others ring. Someone even told me to not sell that ring for that price lmao

I have a ton of unique and I genuinely don't know what is trash, what I can sell and what I can keep for later

I wanted to install POE macro but Chrome wasn't happy with that, and there's a file about mining currency inside...