• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
It's 9 PM, and you decide to run some maps. It's 11 PM, and you decide to run just a couple more maps. It's 1 AM. It's 4 AM.

A new league has begun. Your favorite build was nerfed. You play it anyway. You have been nerfed. You feel a twinge of regret.

You have an excellent item. You have a pile of currency. You want a perfect item. You have a mediocre item. You have less currency. You have a mediocre item. You have no more currency. You have a mediocre item. No one will buy the mediocre item. The item is not good for your build. You equip it anyway. You are mediocre.

You are farming the Azurite Mine. You are farming the Azurite Mine. You are farming the Azurite Mine. You have run out of sulphite. You were one with the Mine; now you are nothing. Now you must find sulphite. You must feed the machine.

Zana asks if you are still sane. You tell her you are. She says you have seemed sadder, less energetic lately. She says she can't help you if you won't talk. Zana is your therapist. No, Zana does not accept your insurance. No therapists accept your insurance. Zana asks why you are crying.

You have a large stack of Chaos Orbs. Other people have large numbers of maps. They want to sell their maps. You want to buy their maps. They cannot sell their maps. You cannot buy their maps. This is called player interaction.

You have an excellent item. You corrupt it. You have a useless item. No, you still have an excellent item. You did not corrupt the item; the item corrupted you. You are the item. You are corrupted. You are useless. You sell the excellent item. You are rich, and still useless.

Einhar calls you a stupid beast. You shout names at him. Your teacher calls you a stupid beast. Your father calls you a stupid beast. You shout names at them. On the television, Gordon Ramsey calls a restaurateur a stupid beast. Your teacher is Einhar. Einhar is your father. Einhar is Gordon Ramsey. You are a stupid beast.

It's 6 AM. You are tired. You should go to bed. You should not run one more map. You run one more map. In this map, Zana has a map. In that map, there are Syndicate members. Zana tells you not to die. The Syndicate makes you die. You have been slain. Zana tells you it is all right. Zana tells you it's good to express your feelings. It is all right to feel dead inside, because you still are feeling. It's 6:30 AM.

You awaken from your dream. The clock says it is 1:56. You do not know whether it is 1:56 AM or 1:56 PM. You are farming the Azurite Mine.

Edit: Um, wow, this really blew up. Thank you for all your positive comments and random gold and platinum, anonymous internet strangers! May you all profit 30c on your next trade.

You read this. You wish you could hear Zizaran read this. You are Zizaran. You wish you could read.
Stolen from Reddit

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With so much emphasis on crafting recently, I think it's finally time I learned how to do it. I guess the goal is to max the chance of getting something useful? And knowing how to do it with least currency possible?
Crafting is mostly a rich boy thing. And you need to have POE Affix open at all times to know what you want.

I would recommend doing Alt Regal crafting for Jewels as starter. That's the easiest, lowest investment type of crafting you can do. Get some regular jewels, try to hit max% life and a bunch of generic damage mods.

Though with the new Multimod system and the stronger bench crafting... self crafting has become much more viable. I crafted myself a Warlords Mark ring for example, by using alterations to get Warlords Mark, then Annul the useless affix, then Multimod it. Then there is Fossil Crafting which is very good especially for helmets because of the "-9% resistance to nearby enemies" that you can only get from Fossil crafting (among other lucrative things you can do with fossil). And then you can do stuff like making a cast on crit weapon like the one Mathil made.

Another easy one to do is the +3 Bow craft. You need to look up a guide for that though as it shows you a nice flow chart of what you need to look for and what to do in each step.

This one is a bit outdated because now you can get something like +2 levels to gem or something as a craft. But the general idea applies.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the comment! Yeah I know, I can't afford, nor do I have the skills to use, the exalts needed to do "real" crafting. But I am interested in the theory behind it anyway.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There is this channel I recommend if you want to understand high level crafting more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuFMFoFMXc4

There is also Demi but Demi does EXTREMELY rich boy crafting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsGMwVcV-M0

IMO the best way to craft is not to craft for profit or to sell but rather for personal use. It's more satisfying and doesn't cost as much... even though it will most likely cost you less money if you bought the item from the store yourself. I would however recommend that you NOT Chaos spam, it's not good anymore to do that. Use Fossils or Alt/Regals or Essences.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And more spell damage energy shield leech:

sedy3ho3ayh21.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/at59qb/my_third_unique_is_coming_out_with_synthesis/

More power to the Occultist!

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
That's what I was looking at too regardless of the crazy CI regen items, with maybe Bane as a side skill depending how it ends up working.

But I don't know anything about scaling chaos damage lol.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Any general advice for Uber Elder? I've watched EE's guide a few times so I know what to expect and I've run it almost a dozen times now. I'm making some progress but I'm at the point where I get shut down around the third portal phase. Trying to manage the adds while keeping an eye on Elder and Shaper is really stretching my ability to multitask. I'm not getting screwed on the persistent ground effects, 9/10 times I die because of Elder's spears that I just can't see. The 10th is not noticing Shaper doing his teleport slam. I know I'm making progress because I can consistently get to the half way point.

I'm running Frost Blades and it's been good enough for everything else in the game so I know it's possible. I'm just wondering if there's any tidbits of knowledge I'm missing that would make my life a little easier.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, i had all but set on a cwc marauder, but seeing that ES leech stuff, i am tempted to go witch again.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I tried the Lightning Strike build .... humm I didn't like it, the damage wasn't as good as my previous broken build and is (kinda) melee in POE. So I started a new character an Armageddon Ele, little more than 7 hours to the blood aqueduct, my new personal record. That was a lot of fun. I will certainly do another "race", trying to kill Uber Elder is not an option I think, I just don't have enough currency to buy end game gear.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the Lightning Strike build .... humm I didn't like it, the damage wasn't as good as my previous broken build and is (kinda) melee in POE. So I started a new character an Armageddon Ele, little more than 7 hours to the blood aqueduct, my new personal record. That was a lot of fun. I will certainly do another "race", trying to kill Uber Elder is not an option I think, I just don't have enough currency to buy end game gear.
Lightning Strike is pretty meh yeah but its one of the few non melee Melee skills... its just that the damage is going to be a lot worse if you scale it through its projectiles.

You actually can get good damage out of LS by using Ancestral Calk and position yourself so you arent hitting with the melee strike but also close enough so Ancestral Call is proccing. This way you get to hit a target twice.

For me though LS feels pretty bad without Inpulsa. It always leaves stragglers around even with Multistrike, Ancestral Call and Pierce.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Quite a bit they're changing, and rightfully so, about Betrayal being added to core. Info below.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2330305

I found this part interesting to say the least... I'm sure many will be disappointed but they knew it was coming:
Upgraded Breachstones were an attractive reward and concept, but we did balance the benefits too far ahead of other rewards. The experience gain reward was very attractive, and became a dominant motivator in the league. Tul, Esh and Xoph upgraded Breachstones have had their increased experience gain modifier reduced to 100% for all tiers (down from progressive rewards that went up to 250%). Uul-Netol upgraded Breachstones have been reduced to 150% (previous maximum was 300%), Chayula to 200% (previous maximum was 350%).

And I like these changes as well:
When an area has Jun, that area will contain three Betrayal encounters. There will be either a Transportation or Fortification encounter, as well as both a Research encounter and an Intervention encounter. Care has been taken to make sure that the encounters don't overlap while you're completing them.
A number of changes are being made to the Mastermind encounter, predominantly making the fight easier. Completing the fight no longer resets your entire Syndicate, but reshuffles the organisation and removes one rank from each member.

And last but not least... ugh... Sulphite was already a joy to get but come on:
Cartography Scarabs, Divination Scarabs and Sulphite Scarabs have all been reduced in power. Cartography and Divination Scarabs are around 50% less effective, while Sulphite Scarabs are 60-70% less effective depending on tier.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't nerf Strongbox scarabs surprisingly. Those were also extremely powerful. But Cartography scarab and Div scarabs are still extremely powerful if you get your hands on them.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Don't mind the nerfs, focus this league will be the memory stuff. They probably don't want to see the same thing as last league where people were still largely focusing on delve content over the betrayal mechanics.

Probably going to SSF this league, starting to find that trading sets the expectation of the game a bit too high too quickly. Def going to be trying out one of the new skills.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I understand why they do many of the things they do, why they will nerf something popular or made too easy. They want to make sure the playerbase stays around and plays and doesn't get bored too quick and leaves. I get it. It still sucks though when that translates into just more and more grind simply to do the things players themselves want to do.

Case in point - delves. It was advertised and really sold to us as this be gigantic and endless option to go in that really has been a lot of fun. The bad side about it, or where it hurts, is trying to run it has become a chore because of the necessity of sulphite. So if you don't delve much, not too big a deal. But if you like it, it's slowly becoming more and more out of reach to do it on any consistent basis.

So yeah I'm just a tad miffed that I'll prob not get to do it much again next league. Ah well, the new mechanic looks fun so hopefully it'll have most of my attention. Betrayal and its mechanic was just... pretty blah for me so delve was the next go-to.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I am really not a fan of the sulphite scarab change. It seems like they targeted the scarabs that were the most currency valuable rather than looking at why they were so valuable. Delve is fun, and is a much needed distraction from mapping so it is disheartening to see it become harder to access.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they say they were going to be rebalancing Sulphite some more? Hard to see the scope of these changes without the full picture of the patch.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nerfed hatred, melee was too good it seems and spell casters need more dmg. What a bunch of tools.

I'm running Frost Blades and it's been good enough for everything else in the game so I know it's possible. I'm just wondering if there's any tidbits of knowledge I'm missing that would make my life a little easier.
What's your tooltip? I did t13 elder with 73k but that's not even enough for shaper adds, useless effing block lol.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the constant nerfs are reminding me of warframe too much. Though it's worse with this game as all your stuff gets reset every 3 months.

Both games rely way too much on trade and both suck at it.

Warframe obv has plat trade so I get wanting to keep the economy to an extent but this game doesn't AND resets all the time so I dunno why they'er so stingy with drops.

Crafting is so deep yet you can spend hundreds of hrs amassing currency and waste it in 10 min and get nothing.

Def not gonna bother trying to get to 36 this league. I might not even start at launch.

I've never understood the worry of ppl getting everything too fast and quitting. I loved having everything in warframe or destiny/diablo etc cuz then I could experiment and make crazy random builds. I'm far more likely to burn out by grinding just for a chance to get a thing I actually want or having to redo the campaign/atlas/unveiling shit again and again.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I understand fun stuff getting nerfed sucks, but the things they nerfed were all stuff introduced in betrayal league and the 3.5 expansion. No old content was nerfed. It's the same principle as with how GGG handles difficulty: they would rather over-tune and then nerf than have new league stuff be underwhelming.

Delve is a hard thing to balance. Delve rewards are insane compared to effort you have to put in there. No maps needed, just click node, ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM in straight line and get reward chests. And this is before taking any kind of valuable nodes, stuff hidden in darkness etc. If you didn't have a limiter like sulphite then maps would become 100% obsolete content.

I read on Reddit that GGG has discussed giving greater access to Delve, but nerfing Delve rewards in exchange. Would people be OK with that?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I understand fun stuff getting nerfed sucks, but the things they nerfed were all stuff introduced in betrayal league and the 3.5 expansion. No old content was nerfed. It's the same principle as with how GGG handles difficulty: they would rather over-tune and then nerf than have new league stuff be underwhelming.

Delve is a hard thing to balance. Delve rewards are insane compared to effort you have to put in there. No maps needed, just click node, ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM in straight line and get reward chests. And this is before taking any kind of valuable nodes, stuff hidden in darkness etc. If you didn't have a limiter like sulphite then maps would become 100% obsolete content.

I read on Reddit that GGG has discussed giving greater access to Delve, but nerfing Delve rewards in exchange. Would people be OK with that?
To your last question, honestly I don't know. I definitely don't envy them for having to constantly balance everything and not upset people in the process. Someone will always get upset at their decisions. But I'd like to think I'd be fine with them adjusting the rewards if it meant I could do it more often. Gated shit just never sits well with me, let me decide what I want to do and when, don't wall it off with a limited resource I have to be lucky to find.

And we're going into the 3rd league with delves and they're still needing to tune it which is no fun. I'll of course leave final judgement for when we get actual specific data but it's not like this is something new from them. They're very quick to react, which overall is a very good thing, but they often just swing too great in the opposite direction and then come back later to bring it back together. I guess it's the pains we go through as they continue to have such an aggressive development cycle.

On that last part, I'd really like to see them spend one league maybe once a year and just fix and fine-tune existing problems that exist. The game is very, very good and in a great place but I still think there's room for polish. I don't honestly see this happening as they'd stand to lose a lot of revenue with no big, new mechanic as we've grown accustomed to... but I'd like to see them find a way. Just slow down the constant addition of new stuff, and bring up the quality a bit more. And for heaven's sake, do SOMETHING about making trading easier. There's way too much in the game right now making it harder to break out immediately to accept a trade.

Okay that was a lot longer than I wanted it to be...

Last edited:

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
They're going to need to streamline eventually. So many overlapping mechanics are making their way to core that anyone coming in is going to be completely lost. They could easily drop essences and move their good buffs to fossils or other sources, for instance, and little would be lost. Corrupted essence mods are the most worthwhile ones that can be easily shifted to other sources.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Incursion is definitely the most removable league. There is only one new boss and its kinda lame... you can honestly move the boss to one of the Vaal maps and no one would really care. The main chase from Incursion are the room rewards, most specifically the double corrupt chamber which you can easily add as a Syndicate safehouse reward.

But its still side content that amplifies your map returns and loot, gives you a break from the monotony of mapping etc. I dont mind it being in to be honest.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I certainly don't envy them having to try and balance everything, when you consider the vast amount of permutations or things this game offers, to get it as good as they have is a major achievement, let only for a F2P game.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
That dying sun theme is so good. I really shouldn't buy another 60 dollar set for the game though...

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
Most people complaining about Delve just haven't coped yet with the fact that it isn't the main thing in the game anymore and it's particulalry annoying when you see arguments like 'It's the only way to get out of the monotony of Maps" .... I mean there's an entire new mechanic introduced with the new league that has the potential to be as good and challenging as Delve is, but "Boohoo Delve Nerfs " .....

All the reaction, or should I say over-reaction to some of the changes made to Betrayal mean nothing until we get a broader view of the global patch notes AND what we can actually get from Synthesis.
For all we know Scarabs are a thing in there too, we saw bloody Perandus coins in the trailer, if those are in, there is no reason for many other things not to be ....

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most people complaining about Delve just haven't coped yet with the fact that it isn't the main thing in the game anymore and it's particulalry annoying when you see arguments like 'It's the only way to get out of the monotony of Maps" .... I mean there's an entire new mechanic introduced with the new league that has the potential to be as good and challenging as Delve is, but "Boohoo Delve Nerfs " .....

All the reaction, or should I say over-reaction to some of the changes made to Betrayal mean nothing until we get a broader view of the global patch notes AND what we can actually get from Synthesis.
For all we know Scarabs are a thing in there too, we saw bloody Perandus coins in the trailer, if those are in, there is no reason for many other things not to be ....

Yeah, it kinda feels like the leagues after breach and how people were complaining that they were nerfing it and the like. Speaking of things they should remove, Perandus is probably one of them. Such a waste of space and time.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the leagues before Breach were a wash hence why there is very little of them in the game. Perandus is one of them, the whole collecting coin stuff is something that is only cool for one league.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, personally I've found most leagues after breach to be a bit meh. Particulary abyssal, which just removed the belt slot from practically every spec and replaced it with an identical stat rare.

I do think that the game is better for having multiple things like incursion etc. it breaks up the monotony of just mapping, and getting frustrated at the bad map system. The issue is that it s most rewarding to farm mechanics on easy level maps or the Quarry.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Looking for someone to play with. I am a pretty new player only dabbed in PoE like twice before. Name is Otic0n on Steam.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Looking for someone to play with. I am a pretty new player only dabbed in PoE like twice before. Name is Otic0n on Steam.
There's a guild, but it's dead right now because the league is almost over. We'll be picking back up on March 8. Happy to help you get into the game then, I'm sure you'll get an invite for then if you stick around this thread.

My recommendation: look for a build guide that looks fun. Look for "3.6" (3.5 if you're starting before March 8) and "league starter" or "cheap." Probably go with a spell build, melee is not in the best place (but can be decently viable).

If you're making your first character, you might want to look for an elemental overload build so you don't have to spec too heavily into crit (generally more expensive).

Strong builds this league were storm brand, Armageddon brand, and winter orb. All three allow you to move around while dealing damage and rely on strong skills that don't need a ton of gear to feel good.

Last edited:

yagal

Oct 25, 2017

Watch this beginner's guide series by Engineering Eternity HERE

Pick one build here (let's say Elementalist)

Playing the game is the best way to learn, feel free to ask questions here. And on March 8 you will start over with another meta build and POEra in full strength putting in practice what you have learned.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm going to see The Jesus and Mary Chain in Sydney on March 7. Will take me a few hours to get home in the morning, urrrrg.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Watch this beginner's guide series by Engineering Eternity HERE

Pick one build here (let's say Elementalist)

Playing the game is the best way to learn, feel free to ask questions here. And on March 8 you will start over with another meta build and POEra in full strength putting in practice what you have learned.
There's a guild, but it's dead right now because the league is almost over. We'll be picking back up on March 8. Happy to help you get into the game then, I'm sure you'll get an invite for then if you stick around this thread.

My recommendation: look for a build guide that looks fun. Look for "3.6" (3.5 if you're starting before March 8) and "league starter" or "cheap." Probably go with a spell build, melee is not in the best place (but can be decently viable).

If you're making your first character, you might want to look for an elemental overload build so you don't have to spec too heavily into crit (generally more expensive).

Strong builds this league were storm brand, Armageddon brand, and winter orb. All three allow you to move around while dealing damage and rely on strong skills that don't need a ton of gear to feel good.

Thanks a lot fellas.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
SteelMage just beat Quin's Uber Elder melee SSFHC challenge. Second attempt on it I believe, when he was close dudewas visibly shaking and sweating. Two of the logs had him him below 10% HP, one of them he logged on 419 HP!

He did it with Juggernaut Cleave though he farmed maps before with Tectonic Slam. One of the best videos I have seen related to PoE.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexil...elmage_finishes_quins_ssfhc_melee_uber_elder/

This definitely highlights how much of a different game it is playing melee vs ranged.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
SteelMage just beat Quin's Uber Elder melee SSFHC challenge. Second attempt on it I believe, when he was close dudewas visibly shaking and sweating. Two of the logs had him him below 10% HP, one of them he logged on 419 HP!

He did it with Juggernaut Cleave though he farmed maps before with Tectonic Slam. One of the best videos I have seen related to PoE.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexil...elmage_finishes_quins_ssfhc_melee_uber_elder/

This definitely highlights how much of a different game it is playing melee vs ranged.

I watched it live, I can only agree, one of my best twitch moment.

I'm trying to kill Uber Elder before the end of the league, the game feels empty as fuck, no one is up for a trade ... I have no currency anyway :(

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's a good bow build or spell build ? I'm keeping winter orb in mind but wanna know what my options are. 3 or 4 leagues of RF in a row is a bit much, need a change.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So what's a good bow build or spell build ? I'm keeping winter orb in mind but wanna know what my options are. 3 or 4 leagues of RF in a row is a bit much, need a change.
Tornado shot and ice shot are both great, as are rain of arrows and the poison varieties. There are actually a lot of viable bow builds.

I would wait for the patch notes before deciding. I get the feeling spells will outperform most bow builds for the same investment, especially as league starters. Maybe self cast will be the meme, but my money is on WO and brands maintaining the league starter meta due to their inherent survivability.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Spells: Blade Vortex, Winter Orb, Cold DoT Occultist, Arc anything, Ice Nova Frostbolt CoC, Storm/Armageddon Brand

Bow: Tornado Shot, Ice Shot, Scourge Arrow, Rain of Arrow, Toxic Rain, Caustic Arrow, Blast Rain

The spells are generally all around powerful where as the bow skills need to be paired with clear skill or single target skill.