• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Okay so I'd like some suggestions. Let's assume that I have 6 or 7 free sockets that I want to use for my spectre summoner build. Either 3L + 3L or 3L + 4L. What would you use these sockets for?

Let's assume:
- I don't have free unreserved mana to use for extra auras
- Body 6L is for summon spectre
- No other minions
- I already have movement skill, convocation, offering, EE totem and desecrate
- Immortal call + cast when damage taken exist in a 2L
- Either mainhand 3L + helm 4L is free, or mainhand 3L + offhand 3

I could use extra links to add CWDT effects or boost offering with duration etc. Or augment existing gems with other support gems. "Lightning golem" is an obvious choice but that's just one socket out of 6/7.

I could add zombies, but they seem a bit redundant when rooms just explode anyway upon entering, thanks to my spectres.

I was thinking about adding a secondary dmg source (for endgame bosses) but what could I possible add that works with 3L+3L or 3L+4L only?

I was wondering if I could generate endurance charges somehow but I don't see an easy way for a necromancer summoner.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Hah I guess I'm an oddity when I don't mind running bosses or bosses with phases and I don't mind map layouts. I prefer high mob count maps over "good layout" maps that are empty of mobs. Most planning I ever do, outside getting elder to spawn, is checking when I have 3x of a map of good tier so that I can use a sextant or two or three. Then I just run run run any map that I get, with new ones and highest tier ones as priority.

Money I get that way is more than enough for my needs. I mean I made and spent 5ex on consumable items (unique maps, "prime" resonator etc) alone, in a span of two days, to get Delve challenges done.

BAD maps are in minority IMO. Most "not optimal layout" maps have patterns in them that can clearly be used. "Dungeon" for example. If you follow the labyrinth-solving rule "always turn in same direction" it becomes mindless thing where in end you cleared edge areas and then just need to finish the inter-connected and easily accessible middle areas. Doorways and closed doors can be annoying for some. Mob density in that map makes up for any inconvenience. SURE I'm not zooming in a straight line but pack-to-pack idle time is roughly the same than in "optimal map" IMO.

With added bonus that in high-mob-count maps sustainability is far less of a problem since with more mobs you have more map drop chances.

Last edited:

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Phased bosses are terrible design. The player shouldn't take damage while the boss can't take damage, or at the very least the boss shouldn't be firing off attacks while it's invulnerable.

They've built a game around one shot mechanics and ridiculous DPS. Phased bosses are a bad way to try to prolong boss encounters.

I'm going to use a lot of orbs of horizons on my t15s this league.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Someone put out a Sextant map for the new Atlas changes.

UGS, Haunted Mansion, Grotto, Toxic Sewer and Armoury have best Sextant spreads out of the good maps. Grotto, Toxic Sewer amd Armoury are noteworthy because they are surrounded mostly by white maps so they are prime candidatea for tier 16 Elder. UGS and Haunted Mansion have more yellow maps around then but also insane density so they can still be used.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
Someone put out a Sextant map for the new Atlas changes.

UGS, Haunted Mansion, Grotto, Toxic Sewer and Armoury have best Sextant spreads out of the good maps. Grotto, Toxic Sewer amd Armoury are noteworthy because they are surrounded mostly by white maps so they are prime candidatea for tier 16 Elder. UGS and Haunted Mansion have more yellow maps around then but also insane density so they can still be used.

Kind of a bummer UGS is 5 now instead of 6, shaped 11 always feels like a sweet spot for me to grind early on and the alch div card from there is always nice. Volcano might be a good choice this league, what's the sextant spread on that look like?

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Its not great for Volcano. Top of the map.

488feee155.jpg

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Volcano is wack placement.

Grotto has always been hella underrated, its a very solid and consistent source of currency because it common drops the Fusing card. Not flashy but consistent money is good. It has great sextant placement now so worth considering.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
Can you put sextants on unique maps? Two whites on UGS and Obas wouldn't be too bad. Plus a yellow from lava chamber if it reaches?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not saying they're perfect but I always thought phased bosses were a check on skill level, not just brute force DPSing without strategy or coordination. That said some of the one shot mechanics are pretty crazy and can really hurt the leveling process.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying they're perfect but I always thought phased bosses were a check on skill level, not just brute force DPSing without strategy or coordination. That said some of the one shot mechanics are pretty crazy and can really hurt the leveling process.
Phase bosses in maps are usually just a nuisance. You have way too much damage and bosses that should take 10 seconds to kill end up taking a few minutes. When you are chaining maps that time spent on bosses makes it very inefficient. What ends up happening is that players just skip the bosses altogether in these maps.

Hell thats what I did for the Belfry map when it first came out. I beat it once to get the bonus then never fought it again.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
It's the opposite. DPSing is what you should be doing on these bosses. Essentially insta phase them and get out of the way would be the best way of doing these bosses. You get punished for having low dps against these bosses because the longer you have to fight them the more likely they are to kill you.
Phase bosses in maps are usually just a nuisance. You have way too much damage and bosses that should take 10 seconds to kill end up taking a few minutes. When you are chaining maps that time spent on bosses makes it very inefficient. What ends up happening is that players just skip the bosses altogether in these maps.

Hell thats what I did for the Belfry map when it first came out. I beat it once to get the bonus then never fought it again.
And that's the rub. You can't skip t15 bosses because of the chance to get that t16. Essentially GGG has incentivized players to only run shaped t15s. Why deal with those shit bosses more than you have to.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I never felt pressured to skip a boss.. except for Lava Lake. Just a huge pain in the ass overall.
It's the opposite. DPSing is what you should be doing on these bosses. Essentially insta phase them and get out of the way would be the best way of doing these bosses. You get punished for having low dps against these bosses because the longer you have to fight them the more likely they are to kill you.
DPSing a boss is not a skill check, it's a gear check. I still believe there should be some sort of challenge at the higher maps (maybe like T14-16). Bosses are bosses for a reason. That said some of the phases do take too long and they can definitely make improvements there.

The only thing that's ever really bothered me in terms of time management is the first boss in the Atziri fight.. the two tripod bosses. Man I think I timed it at like 50-60 seconds (just to begin the encounter). The entire run takes me a couple minutes, lol.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The easiest t15 boss along with reef lol. Basilica is low dps nightmare.
It's not about DPS it's about not getting one shot by various shit lol. DPS is hardly an issue until you get to guardians

I've done 4 characters so far and the only boss I'm still kinda scared to face is the one in Lava Lake because there are at least a couple one shot mechanics that are easy to catch.

Last edited:

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to Dahbomb and all, my Scion is so much better now.
I will try to finish RDR2 before jumping into the next league and play more POE in the future.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually just run maps I like. I understand it's inefficient but whatever, I get by. Stuff like Waterways, Shaped Scriptorium. Never really paid much attention to all the nuances of ideal sextants (I just roll for Breach or Abyss. Slipstream is fun too) and most times I even forget to run Zana mods lol.

Maybe I'll focus on actually filling the thing in Betrayal.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Waterways is a solid map as its basically Channel 2.0 and Scriptorium drops Shavs card so its also worth running.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know they are not bad, I'm just saying there are probably better ways to progress. But I do like the change to T9 for Waterways. Now I can run it and shape it sooner.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DPS is hardly an issue until you get to guardians
Not really if you get gear yourself.
I've done 4 characters so far and the only boss I'm still kinda scared to face is the one in Lava Lake because there are at least a couple one shot mechanics that are easy to catch.
Using any physical/fire mitigation? Probably last time got rekt by kitava was as story boss.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got my 24 challenges done before the new league and I avoided having to buy any or use my expensive fossils. Neat. Think 30 is the highest I can realistically get, so yeah...

Got all most of the T16 maps done but still struggling with Minotaur :( damn you Cyclone.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not really if you get gear yourself.

Using any physical/fire mitigation? Probably last time got rekt by kitava was as story boss.
On all my characters, that's the only boss I've actually had to pay attention to avoid getting one-two shot. So I dunno.

Yeah I mean if you're self found, sure it's tougher. But it's still pretty easy to high high DPS with yellows.. high enough to kill bosses up to the guardians.

When I first started my toxic rain build, I jumped up to T12 almost immediately, with nothing but a 5L chest/bow

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Watching this race to lvl 90, and I'm reconsidering starting duelist. Arc totems + other spells is pretty nutty leveling

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm debating on whether I wanna go arc or toxic rain again for the next league. My arc build has MOM which is way tankier though.. though maybe I can do a duelist pathfinder setup again but with arc.

Which has better endgame potential?

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
I keep thinking I wanna go conc path Jugg, but at the same time I'm not really feeling it. Hm.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Probably very good for area coverage so I am guessing you can use this on a gem swap set up. Put this in for mapping and then swap it out for single target. Maybe the damage is enough for you to keep it but we will have to see.

Arctic Breath Rework

Another gem that focuses on creating cold damage over time and it seems like GGG is making this an actual thing. With Cold Snap, Frost Bomb, Vortex and now this, you can create a build around this plus there will be new modes around it. There is also a new support gem Bonechill that gives you a multiplier for the amount of chill on them. Seems like you maybe want to go Elementalist for the guaranteed chill and extra chill effect. It's interesting that just like shock effect became a thing with Elementalist/Elementalist that this new skill might make chill effect lucrative to get.

I'm debating on whether I wanna go arc or toxic rain again for the next league. My arc build has MOM which is way tankier though.. though maybe I can do a duelist pathfinder setup again but with arc.

Probably should wait for the patch notes first. It's very likely that there might be some new skill that ends up being a great starter.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
arc is insane for leveling.

arc traps or totems and youre good to go.
Yeah arc totems was my league starter this go around, and it was very easy and fast. Think I'm doing Toxic Rain next week unless something drastically changes with the patch notes.

At this stage I definitely see more ppl playing toxic rain late game than arc. Again that could all change.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
New quality of life added to stash tabs. You can add icons to the left of the name to make it easier to fined your tabs.

hm6zmcw54q121.jpg

Also new Reach of the Council changes

lw38pt5oiq121.jpg

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we are going to get Greater Volley as a support gem as well. Could be really good for something like Ice Shot to get some overlapping chains going.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Just bought first blood pack, spend 60 on currency tab, what else should I use my points on?

Also, can I get an invite to the era guild? My username is Raziel_Grave

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just bought first blood pack, spend 60 on currency tab, what else should I use my points on?

Also, can I get an invite to the era guild? My username is Raziel_Grave
One premium tab for trading would be my next purchase, then a map tab. Given that you only have 140 points left, you'd be 10 short....

Maybe get a tab upgrade and a map tab?

See what others say before buying.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
One premium tab for trading would be my next purchase, then a map tab. Given that you only have 140 points left, you'd be 10 short....

Maybe get a tab upgrade and a map tab?

See what others say before buying.

Given my progress, I really don't think I need a map tab. Even though I started playing all the way back in 2013, I've still barely made to act 3, but I used up all my character slots, and my highest character is just level 30.

And I actually don't plan on trading that much, so premium tabs don't seem that useful. Should I just grab the six tab bundle?