• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Given my progress, I really don't think I need a map tab. Even though I started playing all the way back in 2013, I've still barely made to act 3, but I used up all my character slots, and my highest character is just level 30.

And I actually don't plan on trading that much, so premium tabs don't seem that useful. Should I just grab the six tab bundle?
If you dont think you'll be trading and wont be doing maps anytime soon, nothing wrong with adding more normal tabs. Just consider a premium down the road since you can customize it and trading really can be beneficial. Map tab is very nice to have but only if you start obtaining a lot of them.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Was that your account name or in game name? Cant do it by email. If it was your account name let me get you in game name, and if it was your in game name let me get the account name.

Edit: Think I found your characters names. Just need to double check before I send you an invite do you have two characters named Mabarauder and Corvulis?

Last edited:

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Was that your account name or in game name? Cant do it by email. If it was your account name let me get you in game name, and if it was your in game name let me get the account name.

Edit: Think I found your characters names. Just need to double check before I send you an invite do you have two characters named Mabarauder and Corvulis?

Yup, that is me. And thanks for the heads up about my email, should've PMed that, will change now.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Alright guys here's a theory craft build for 3.5.

Cospri's Champion Freeze Pulse/Glacial Cascade

This is a rich boy build, 100% NOT a league starter. Why is this build expensive?

*Corrupted +1 Power Charge on Starkonja will definitely cost you some money and it's fairly important to the build.
*6 link Loreweave. Build becomes a bit clunky to use if you don't have the 6 link body armour though any 6 link body armour will get you started even a Tabula Rasa.
*Dual Wield Cospri's Malice. A tier 1 rare item that is very likely to go up in price in the new league. And this build uses two of them.
*Pandemonius necklace is fairly expensive early into the league.
*Elder ring with Warlords Mark curse on hit and other good stat. Probably the best rare in that build I have, you will not be finding a rare that good so you are going to have make up the resists somewhere else (build is already resists starved).
*Watcher's Eye with +critical chance from Hatred aura. Very important to the build for consistency and damage, this will cost money as well. Luckily it's only a 1 property Watcher's Eye and the price can go even higher with a double or triple Hatred eye.
*There are two places that you can place Inspired Learning by reallocating some points though my build doesn't use it.

The first question someone is going to ask is... why Champion for this type of build? Why not Assassin? Assassin is the superior crit ascendancy however, with Assassin you are going to have Accuracy issues. Without good accuracy, a cast on crit build is very bad and thus most Assassins generally have to use a Lycosidae shield and only one Cospri's Malice. With Champion, I have 100% hit chance on enemies which is insane. By using the Watcher's Eye jewel, Critical strikes gem, 7 power charges and crit on the tree, I can easily attain near capped crit. Plus Champion has much better defensive bonuses AND I don't need to use Tombfist to have Intimidate on my character.

Next are the item/skill choices:

Starkonja: This item gives everything you would need. The +60 Dexterity is essential because the Cospri's Malice has a high Dexterity requirement, it gives you global crit, attack speed and some extra bonuses. This is IMO best in slot for the build.
Loreweave: To be honest any body armor would do here, I would even say a good rare with +% crit to attacks affix might even be better. But Loreweave is the save, solid option and it's hard to go wrong with it.
Pandemonius: Gives Blind, Chill and 20% cold damage penetration... excellent for the build all around. You can use any amulet you want, a rare amulet would also work just get some critical multiplier on it.
Mark of the Shaper: A huge damage bonus to the build and I was going to be using an Elders ring anyway for the Warlords Mark curse on hit. It just makes resistances trickier to manage.
Watcher's Eye : Hatred gives +% chance to crit is insane for the build.
2 First Snow: This is for mapping, replace with the 2 jewels for Glacial Cascade instead for more single target.

Blade Flurry: Blade Flurry is the melee attack of choice to trigger the spells. Blade Furry has a lot of attacks in its animation as you are channeling the attacks, it has range so you are safer than usual and Faster Attack works very well with it. You can also use Cyclone but Cyclone is less safe and Cyclone is more used for something like Discharge builds.
Frostbomb: To reduce cold resistances for single target.
Warlords mark on the Elder ring for sustain and endurance charges.
Blood Rage for attack speed and frenzy charge generation.
Lightning golem for attack speed.
Herald of Ice for clear.
Whirling Blade for mobility and turning on Fortify.

How does this build work?

Some of you are probably new and are wondering what's going on with this build. This build revolves around the Cospri's Malice unique sword. This sword triggers socketed Cold gems on melee critical strike chance. This is similar to how the Poet Pen works only Cospri's has more restrictions. Because of this you require a Melee attack skill AND high critical strike chance. This means that you have a chest slot open for cast on critical set up as it has synergy with Cospri's Malice. Cospri's Malice also has a high Dexterity and Intelligence requirement to wield. So to even make the build work we need high Dexterity, high Intelligence, high Critical Strike chance and high accuracy. With the Champion Ascendancy I get full accuracy and from the tree/gear I can get my remaining crit in addition to running the Diamond Flask. I naturally get all the Intelligence through my pathing and by wearing a Starkonja and having a +30 Dex node on the tree or on the gear I can wield the weapon.

With one attack, I am able to fire off the gem in Cospri Malice 1, Cospri Malice 2 and the gem in my chest which is linked to cast on crit and a melee attack (in this case Blade Flurry). So per ATTACK I am unleashing 3 spells at once. So how many attacks am I doing per second? With full buffs I am doing around 8 attacks per second which is a bit overkill as the Cast on Crit gem has a 0.15 second cooldown that means that I need under 7 attacks to get maximum utility. However I have some extra attack just to have some cushion in case I need to drop some attack speed to get my stats in order. HOWEVER, if I manage to get Cooldown reduction on my Boots and Belt (via Elder/Shaper mods) I can lower the cooldown of cast on crit gem to something like 0.11 which means that at 8 attacks I am still being optimum. If you can get to around 8 attack speed consistently then you can drop the Faster attack speed gem for a Hypothermia gem for more damage.

So what's the damage like?

It's hard to tell what the damage is just from PoB so here's the breakdown (with all bonuses up during bosses except Frenzy Charges/Endurance Charges).

Single hit from Freezing Pulse in Weapon 1: ~85K
Single hit from Glacial Cascade in Weapon 2: ~64K (with the jewels this will do much more damage but that's not accounted into the damage)
Blade Flurry DPS: ~85K
Single hit from Freezing Pulse in Cast on Damage set up in Chest: ~74k

Multiple the single hits by 6 for the times I am critting in one second accounting for the cooldown of 0.15s on Cast on crit: 510K + 384K + 444k + 85K (Blade Flurry which already accounts for the attack speed):

Roughly 1.4 million Shaper DPS when all buffs are up. And the build has great clear as well.

*Variations

*For only 3 more points, you can have 2 curses on the build. The 2nd curse I would get is Frostbite though it's very difficult to put that into the build.
*There are two good places to put Inspired learning, near both of the Power Charge nodes on the left/right side of the tree.
*You can easily change this build into a Cospri's Malice build by changing the Necklace to Voll's Devotion and the chest to Voll's Protector, swapping Blade Flurry with Cyclone and Power Charge on Crit with something like Cold Penetration/Hypothermia or even Critical Multiplier. And of course replace the Freezing Pulse with a Discharge skill within the Cospri's Malice.
*You can use something similar for Poet's Pen as well and that's probably the cheaper/more effective method of this type of build. You just replace Blade Flurry with Power Siphon since you no longer need to be melee and Power Charge on Crit with Hypothermia for more damage. Though if you are going Poet Pen there are other classes you can do for better result like Elementalist and other spells like Arc or Volatile Dead.

Here's a visual look at the build (keep in mind it will be stronger than this in 3.5):

Last edited:

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Surfinn is your PoE account name your ERA account name? And your characters include "Surfnn", "SurfinnLabs" etc? I need a character name, account name isn't enough. I can find both of your characters once I know your account name but I want to make sure I'm inviting the correct person.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I only really started playing in the past few weeks, but I would like in the guild, too! Account: FeedMeAStrayCat23 and character name KabookiKassandra

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing the game because of this build back in the day lol it was bananas back then. Wish I knew how to recreate it.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/580583/page/1
CoC build are pretty straight forward, and there will be a bunch of variations to that build. It's Going to be one of the most popular builds this upcoming league, and you should have no problem finding a guide. Just wait a week or so into the league, and most people will have worked out the kinks. You will probably see a CoC cyclone with bladefall,glacial cascade, and ek or some variation of that. Lots of discharge cycloners as well.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they nerf Discharge several times, once because of CoC? Back in the Kripp discharge days iirc. They give no fucks about infinite damage these days, we are approaching Diablo 3 numbers.

Last edited:

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Not having any gem details before tuesday is frustrating, that and the notables and keystones on the tree make it hard to plan for brand builds.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Oh! Thanks to redesign I can see PoE related threads down-bottom. That's a nice way to find related threads when something gets your interest.

Tomorrow we get BALANCE MANIFESTO, any guesses what gets the hammer this time? I can't really imagine, but I'm guessing something related to poet's pen.

Last edited:

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Failed on Shaper but we got him to below 25%. Another attempt or two and we would have had it. Zana died and we had no clue how to survive bullet hell without her.

I did manage to clear 5 challenges in 3 hours to get my azurite wings at least so not a total waste of a night.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Oh! Thanks to redesign I can see PoE related threads down-bottom. That's a nice way to find related threads when something gets your interest.

Tomorrow we get BALANCE MANIFESTO, any guesses what gets the hammer this time? I can't really imagine, but I'm guessing something related to poet's pen.
Stat sticks are going to get nerfed either this league or the next league. So that would be a safe guess. Poets pen is most definitely getting nerfed with the recent CoC changes. Indigon and inpulsas might be getting nerfed as well. I think inpulsa is the one that is more likely to get nerfed. Has been meta for a bit now, and is over powered.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
They announced further changes to the atlas. Long story short they have fixed some of the tier 5's to be less annoying. This change seems pretty nice. Hopefully those t15s aren't a pain to run.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2255012

Balance manifesto is now out.

Balance Changes in Path of Exile: Betrayal
Every release, we choose some specific game balance issues and gameplay limitations to address and adjust. The patch notes tomorrow will provide the comprehensive list of changes but today we'd like to cover some specific changes and the reasons for them.

More at the link

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2255049/page/1#p15973249

Edit: After reading this RIP Melee. Actually pretty damn annoyed with this change. Casters were the main abusers of stat sticks and unless I misunderstood something they remain untouched. GC, and BV remain great. No point in me going sunder starter into vaal double strike. Just going to start arc totems instead.

Last edited:

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What the fuck were they thinking with nerfing melee even more than it already was?

Toxic rain league starter it is, I guess.

What's the best TR build for league start with a good path to push the endgame, pathfinder?

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
I will not be surprised if those shaper mods are now attack-specific. This feels more like a change to set up 2H melee having a chance at life again. As long as stat sticks in melee existed, 2H never really had a meaningful chance, which isn't a dynamic that exists within spell-based builds.

Hierophant has been my favorite class the past couple leagues, and I have a feeling it is about to do serious work in Betrayal.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I will not be surprised if those shaper mods are now attack-specific. This feels more like a change to set up 2H melee having a chance at life again. As long as stat sticks in melee existed, 2H never really had a meaningful chance, which isn't a dynamic that exists within spell-based builds.

Hierophant has been my favorite class the past couple leagues, and I have a feeling it is about to do serious work in Betrayal.
As long as the extra totem shield mod isn't super rare (crafting service woo), the change to the tree might end up being a buff overall (assuming they're taking away the extra totem because of the shield mod). 15% more damage + faster placement (2 at once) with 5 as the max (3 + shield + soul mantle instead of 4 + mantle) could be pretty decent. The top end of players who got a silly shield won't like this, but for everyone else this seems to be a buff. Maybe not for RAT.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Those stat stick changes... there better be some changes for physical based spells then.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
So when you talk about "stat sticks" you mean specifically the shaper/elder weapons with stuff like "x% phys dmg as extra fire dmg" etc? I'm just wondering since aren't vanilla wands "stat sticks" too? And always have been? Is the difference that you can roll higher number of dmg mods on shaper/elder items?

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
So when you talk about "stat sticks" you mean specifically the shaper/elder weapons with stuff like "x% phys dmg as extra fire dmg" etc? I'm just wondering since aren't vanilla wands "stat sticks" too? And always have been? Is the difference that you can roll higher number of dmg mods on shaper/elder items?

Sure, basically all hand slot weapons are "stat sticks" for spellcasters. The main issue is that Shaper melee mods that roll physical damage conversion bonuses still apply to physical spells like Blade Vortex or Glacial Cascade (the latter of which is usually funneled into mines). That's why I think they also might make those mods attack-only and cut them off from spells altogether.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to roll Hierophant in Betrayal because I like Templar and I like totems, might have to change plans.
Totems are still great the changes announced so far do not affect them.

Those stat stick changes... there better be some changes for physical based spells then.
Yup but knowing GGG there won't be any on the patch notes tomorrow.

For the most part when we say stat sticks we mean the elder mods with X% as extra something. You can get stupid damage if you roll a stat stick well. Like if you land all three % as t1's you could get something like this

SW4INzZ.png

Edit: The reason why these things are crazy good is how hard they scale. It's like having 3 hatreds but on a single item. You take a phys spell like glacial cascade and then convert the phys to 3 seperate damage types and voila it deletes everything.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pretty new to the game, so I don't really know if the changes will affect me. I started my first character within the past few weeks and run this Build.
I'm a Witch Necromancer with Charged Dash, Zombies, Stone Golem, Holy Relic, Hatred, etc. Here's my Character (though I just noticed my profile says I'm in standard league.. I'm in Delve, though? Hmm).

I was considering doing this build again in the next league, as I find it pretty simple and fun to play. The author of the thread says he currently has no issues with endgame stuff, though I can't say. Farthest I've gotten is T5 maps, and I haven't had any issues there.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pretty new to the game, so I don't really know if the changes will affect me. I started my first character within the past few weeks and run this Build.
I'm a Witch Necromancer with Charged Dash, Zombies, Stone Golem, Holy Relic, Hatred, etc. Here's my Character (though I just noticed my profile says I'm in standard league.. I'm in Delve, though? Hmm).

I was considering doing this build again in the next league, as I find it pretty simple and fun to play. The author of the thread says he currently has no issues with endgame stuff, though I can't say. Farthest I've gotten is T5 maps, and I haven't had any issues there.

Delve ended today and everything got migrated to standard.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017

Delve officially ended today, and we won't be sure about your build until patch notes tomorrow. You are good to go though with what has been announced so far though.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very happy with how my two weeks of Delve went. Made just one character, a pure phys Slayer Starforge Cyclone and leveling to 95 was a complete breeze. I reached close to 500k dps on cheapish gear, 8k life and almost 7k armour, and once I got the mechanics down, guardians and even Shaper were doable with no deaths, which is something I hadn't done before (last time I played more than a week was Breach league so...). I also managed to complete near 30 challenges, 300 delve and had a blast doing it overall.

Already thinking of about 4 builds I want to try next league and I definitely want to push past Shaper if possible. Overall, it was a very productive and fun reacquaintance with the game.

Oh, if I could get an invite to the guild that would be nice (if there is room of course). Character name is Deathforger. Thanks.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for answers on stat sticks! I guess it means the sore point will be the physical dmg spells.

In addition to what others said, your profile shows up as "private". You need to enable public viewing in settings before we can see it!

-----

So I found this nifty tool on Reddit that among other things estimates your character net worth. Based on stash etc. It also tracks net change over time (chaos per hour) and other stuff.

Turns out I had ~1200c worth of stuff in my stash. About 200c of those were expensive uniques "just in case I want to use them" but otherwise it was just random stuff! Like ~34c worth of Vaal Orbs. My red map collection was worth ~200c total. I'm definitely going to use this in Betrayal league to track my progress.

I'm not going to link it here though since it required putting your POE SESSION ID in it (from pathofexile.com cookies) so it can read your private stash tabs.

Last edited:

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
So I found this nifty tool on Reddit that among other things estimates your character net worth. Based on stash etc. It also tracks net change over time (chaos per hour) and other stuff.

Turns out I had ~1200c worth of stuff in my stash. About 200c of those were expensive uniques "just in case I want to use them" but otherwise it was just random stuff! Like ~34c worth of Vaal Orbs. My red map collection was worth ~200c total. I'm definitely going to use this in Betrayal league to track my progress.

I'm not going to link it here though since it required putting your POE SESSION ID in it (from pathofexile.com cookies) so it can read your private stash tabs.
Is it Exilence?

edit: Oops, I forgot to post the reddit thread if ppl want more info on it

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for answers on stat sticks! I guess it means the sore point will be the physical dmg spells.

In addition to what others said, your profile shows up as "private". You need to enable public viewing in settings before we can see it!

-----

Fixed, thanks! And ohhhh that tool appears quite useful

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Nice option below for those who have run through the game enough times that simply want to get their passive skill points and push to maps, yet still don't know them by heart. Checklist is pretty handy to have up in the background.

https://poechecklist.com/#/passives

The pic below is handy as well, taken from.... reddit as usual, lol

gT5p6QU.png

red13th

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
So I bought a Delve supporter pack (the one that gives you a trenchcoat, I thought it was pretty cool) because of the stash tab sale, last time I bought one was in Beta (I have a red kiwi pet). That quad-stash tab is amazing, wow. I might buy a few more.
I just got to Act 8, never reached end game :p but I'll play more once Betrayal is out. Game is even better than when I last played it (Talisman league? something like that).

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm floating a couple build ideas but until PoB gets updated I'm kind of spinning my wheels. I kind of want to play into their Archetype design mostly since I know there's tree and itemization support for the idea and it'll help me come up with my own build vs just pulling a pastebin from the forums and buying my way to end game.

My biggest interest is in a winter orb/Ice spear cold build. I know winter orb is a DoT and hopefully Ice Spear will be a good heavy hitter. With the way Ice Spear is going to work with GMP I'm hoping I can run a Cast While Channeling version for mapping and something a bit more powerful for bossing. It all depends on how the cold DoT tree skills turn out and what uniques and veiled mods we'll have access to. I like the look of the skills though so I'm hoping I can come up with something that works.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
well fuck my stupid ass, looks like I just missed a stash tab sale again. It's like they are timed perfectly to happen right before I'm paying attention to the game again.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Today is patch notes day and like most patch notes days, it's likely to be disappointing/underwhelming than what most people expect. But maybe they surprise us we'll see, the manifesto didn't really get people hyped up or anything.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Today is patch notes day and like most patch notes days, it's likely to be disappointing/underwhelming than what most people expect. But maybe they surprise us we'll see, the manifesto didn't really get people hyped up or anything.
Have a feeling path of nerfs is coming that's why they brought back CoC. It's either that or they do nothing to phys scaling spells and nerf melee for no reason. Which is a very GGG thing to do.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Noob question alert....

When it says '3 rares with the same name' what does that actually mean?

An example would help, because i just googled it for 20mins and i can't figure it out!

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Noob question alert....

When it says '3 rares with the same name' what does that actually mean?

An example would help, because i just googled it for 20mins and i can't figure it out!
In the pic below as an example, you would need 3x "Beast Reach" which is the name, "Thicket Bow" being the base. You just need the names to match, not the base as well.

a5o8B91.jpg