• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Really interested on how patch notes are going to look. I was expecting some bigger changes than what are being alluded to.

Manifesto kind of screwed up what I was thinking of doing for a decent league starter that could scale into endgame easily.

Really want to play some sort of melee build but last few leagues have given me no reason to.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Really interested on how patch notes are going to look. I was expecting some bigger changes than what are being alluded to.

Manifesto kind of screwed up what I was thinking of doing for a decent league starter that could scale into endgame easily.

Really want to play some sort of melee build but last few leagues have given me no reason to.
Feels less there's less of a reason to than the last few leagues right now. Hopefully the patch notes fix that feeling.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested to see how ES nodes and chaos damage over time stuff on the tree plays out + maybe any nerfs to toxic rain and quill rain before I lock in my build.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I'm putting most of "this changes things" expectations on unique reworks/rarity adjustments (in sense of what hasn't been announced yet). I'm expecting many build-defining "best in slot" uniques will receive a rarity nerf.

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
I have a rather random and specific mechanics question as I am planning out my next build and don't know where else to ask the question. Ngamahu's flame is a unique 2 handed axe that can trigger a molten burst on hit. You can put support gems into the axe and they will support the molten burst regardless of the gems being linked together. My question is whether or not you could put an active gem in the axe then link that active to supports so that the support gems will benefit both the active gem and the molten burst on hit. There seems a lot of overlap between good gems for Ancestral Warchief and for molten burst so it would be nice to get double the value some of the support gems that apply to both, even at the cost of having a max of 5 gems supporting molten burst. Ideally I am thinking of a gem setup with Ancestral Warchief, 2-3 linked gems that support both ancestral warchief and the molten burst, then 2-3 gems probably unconnected that would only benefit the molten burst.

Also any bets on my question being made irrelevant due to the patch notes soon?

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Patch notes out. RIP melee.
The Betrayal Challenge League
  • Challenge leagues are a great opportunity for a fresh start in a new economy. All of your old characters and items are still present in the Standard and Hardcore leagues, but you're encouraged to join the new leagues, complete challenges and demonstrate your mastery of Path of Exile!
  • With 3.5.0, there are Standard and Hardcore, and Solo Self-Found Standard and Hardcore, variations of the Betrayal challenge league available. They have the same core mechanics and items. You can create private league versions of these leagues, with mods that make the game harder.
  • In the Betrayal Challenge League, you will investigate the Immortal Syndicate, whose sinister operations have begun to appear across Wraeclast and Oriath.
  • Help the newest master, Jun Ortoi, as she investigates the disappearance of several prominent exiles in relation to the sudden rise of the Immortal Syndicate. She will aid you as you seek to dismantle Syndicate fortifications, halt the transportation of Syndicate resources, prevent the Syndicate from destroying vital evidence in their research compounds, and fight off their attempts to assassinate you.

More at the link

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2255460

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Instead of coming up with something that required even a modicum of thought they just straight up kill the bow.

Yeah its because CoC is back, but hey lets sure its completely dead so no one can use it. Because a budget 6L item with very little use was the problem. I really wish they wouldve changed the interaction between CoC and QR rather than just straight up make it vendor fodder like 95% of the uniques in this game. The balance really makes it hard to be a fan sometimes.

The ''We dont know how to balance things properly so were just going to ensure its unusable'' thing is old as fuck.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Still can't belive poets pen didn't get the nerf hammer with CoC coming back No question now once I start playing I'm going to grind until I hit reds so I can get the currency to run double pots CoC. Shit is going to be bananas. Unless I'm not understanding the changes to leap slam/whirling blades they are going to be feel awful now. Rip lab runners trying to run the lab at a half way decent pace.

Instead of coming up with something that required even a modicum of thought they just straight up kill the bow.

Yeah its because CoC is back, but hey lets sure its completely dead so no one can use it. Because a budget 6L item with very little use was the problem. I really wish they wouldve changed the interaction between CoC and QR rather than just straight up make it vendor fodder like 95% of the uniques in this game. The balance really makes it hard to be a fan sometimes.

The ''We dont know how to balance things properly so were just going to ensure its unusable'' thing is old as fuck.
Just the cirlce of life for buff/nerfs at GGG. When I saw CoC returning I had a feeling the nerf hammer was coming. Was going to be a way to soften the blow.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
List of scarabs (hope I didn't delete any accidentally):
  • Gilded Breach Scarab
  • Gilded Cartography Scarab
  • Gilded Reliquary Scarab
  • Gilded Bestiary Scarab
  • Gilded Shaper Scarab
  • Gilded Elder Scarab
  • Gilded Sulphite Scarab
  • Gilded Divination Scarab
  • Gilded Torment Scarab
  • Gilded Ambush Scarab
  • Gilded Harbinger Scarab
  • Gilded Perandus Scarab

Good list. Only one I can't figure out is "Reliquary Scarab": what is it and why are there 3 tiers of it?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am definitely gonna be going some Poet Pen build this league with Arc. Even though Arc Trap/Mine is still godlike I just don't like the style.

Can't believe Arc got completely untouched. At least Blade Vortex got the shaper mods nerfed, same for Glacial Cascade. And Inpulsa got hit with the slap on the wrist nerf LOL!

I actually like many of the nerfs in there:

Windripper
Zerphi's Last Breath
Divine Distillate
Max Resistance Flasks
Queen of the Forest + mobility skill nerfs
Molten Strike/Wild Fire/Lab Enchant
Gluttony of Elements
Quill Rain (this was a bit too good for certain stuff for how easy it is to get)
Shaper mod nerfs
Sadima's Touch
Chinsol

These will increase diversity in the game. But this will just make Poet Pen Arc look stronger in comparison to other stuff being brought down.

Last edited:

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Comrades what totem build should I go this league. Currently leaning towards hiero arc totems, but I'm open to suggestions.

DaTruth29

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
That Zerphi's nerf is something else.

Also, Blade Vortex getting an indirect nerf with the changes to Shaper mods and Inpulsa, but still not enough to make it not be my immediate league starter.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be my build in 3.5 (edited it myself):

https://pastebin.com/LWyyPYYg

Poet Pen Arc with Cast on Crit set up in the Inpulsa's Chest. Uses Mind of Matter with Mind of the Council for mana sustain and Paragon of Calamity for life leech. No need to worry about reflect maps either. Around 7k-7.5 effective HP, enough DPS to kill Uber Elder and of course runs Inpulse for clear speed. Uses Lightning Presence amulet to reserve Conductivity aura and Essence Worm for Wrath aura.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm so much better now leveling than the last several leagues. Have been practicing speed running, and have gotten way better at it. At least for the first two acts haven't run many timed after act III though. Knowing the layouts immediately saves so much time it's ridiculous.
Arc didn't get nerfed, so arc. Busted skill.

That's what I'm leaning and have been practicing with.

That Zerphi's nerf is something else.

Also, Blade Vortex getting an indirect nerf with the changes to Shaper mods and Inpulsa, but still not enough to make it not be my immediate league starter.

Still strong as hell. Inpulsa nerf was nothing, and stat sticks are still going to be good. Just not having 4 additional hatreds broken. Zerphis RIP, but well deserved.
I think Im gonna start with a GC miner
That's another very solid build. Even with the nerf to stat sticks it's still going to be great.

This is going to be my build in 3.5 (edited it myself):

https://pastebin.com/LWyyPYYg

Poet Pen Arc with Cast on Crit set up in the Inpulsa's Chest. Uses Mind of Matter with Mind of the Council for mana sustain and Paragon of Calamity for life leech. No need to worry about reflect maps either. Around 7k-7.5 effective HP, enough DPS to kill Uber Elder and of course runs Inpulse for clear speed. Uses Lightning Presence amulet to reserve Conductivity aura and Essence Worm for Wrath aura.

This is pretty good. Haven't decided which direction my CoC build is going to go. I know I'm going to make 2. One for fun, and another one that is completely busted that deletes everything. The busted one is going to use poets pen. I'm going to start the league a couple of hours later than normal, but I plan on grinding into higher tier maps day one. Have gotten much faster leveling which is going to help a ton.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Poen Pen builds aren't going to be as busted anymore because of Idignon and Zerphi's being nerfed hard. They used to be busted, now Poet Pen builds are just going to be strong.

And CoC set up with Poet Pen is harder than it looks. You need good crit chance on your attacks (hard to do since you are scaling spell crit chance), you need good accuracy and you need attacks fast enough to hit the 6 attack threshold for CoC. I had to use Faster attacks plus additional accuracy gems in a 6 link to get my Power Siphon (or Frenzy if you want) to be fast and accurate enough to have good enough crit effective to proc CoC in good intervals. But CoC set up is all extra damage anyway as your main damage is in your wands.

I think for maximum damage you would still want Indignon though.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To start, BV Chieftain or some Essence Drain build for me I think.

Read something about DoT nodes being hit, but I can't imagine it's a big deal.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Holy shit they hit Quill Rain with a 40% damage reduction....

And nerfed the main chest used. Wow, guess the build I just spent a few weeks on is toast.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
Man I want to try the new brands, but I love the change to Ritual of Awakening. I'm actually a little curious of Conviction of Power will roll twice when dropping a totem or just once. Either way Hierophant totems got even more convenient, and it was already one of my favorite build paths.

Playing with the new skill tree a bit, I'm having a hard time figuring out the brand route in Hierophant ascendancy. The way the tree is laid out it almost seems like they want you to still get at least +1 totem so you can trigger Shaman's Dominion and/or Pursuit of Faith. You need to have some kind of other "stuff" to do between brand placement & positioning for single targets, right? Like I guess you could self-cast something but the brands are going to eat up so many of your points and they're all doubled up on totem nodes.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
I have a rather random and specific mechanics question as I am planning out my next build and don't know where else to ask the question. Ngamahu's flame is a unique 2 handed axe that can trigger a molten burst on hit. You can put support gems into the axe and they will support the molten burst regardless of the gems being linked together. My question is whether or not you could put an active gem in the axe then link that active to supports so that the support gems will benefit both the active gem and the molten burst on hit. There seems a lot of overlap between good gems for Ancestral Warchief and for molten burst so it would be nice to get double the value some of the support gems that apply to both, even at the cost of having a max of 5 gems supporting molten burst. Ideally I am thinking of a gem setup with Ancestral Warchief, 2-3 linked gems that support both ancestral warchief and the molten burst, then 2-3 gems probably unconnected that would only benefit the molten burst.

You could do this, but most Ngamahu's builds will probably use Protector and not Warchief? Your goal is to proc the balls as much as possible, so usually its paired with a fast hitting attack like Cyclone and lots of aspd. Warchief won't scale the balls at all.

Quill Rain nerf kinda stinks since I'm gonna start Toxic Rain Occultist, but it'll still be a nice starter bow with the new CDoT multi nodes I think. You come close to breaking even anyways, but your endgame DPS if you get like a +3 VP bow is gonna sky rocket.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how lancing steel will turn out. Arc not getting touched is weird.

Maybe I will actually try that skill again. I always end up dropping it day 2 of leagues.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing with the idea of using https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Soulwrest on my summoner.

Weapon 6L: Spectres (x4 spectre total) -- gems should support phantoms that way too right?
Body 6L: Volatile dead

Triple whammy of spectres + VD + phantoms should produce something interesting (totem casts unearth). With spectres alone I've killed most things, just Uber Elder and Uber Atziri are missing (I never met any Delve city bosses). I'm hoping these two new additions of VD + phantoms will push my DPS over the limit. But I have to see if I can get the VD/Phantom DPS to be something viable.

I will lose the -50% resist from EE but I had trouble keeping that consistently up anyway.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

You can use Concentrated Effect, Fire Penetration, Weapon Element with Attack and Combustion with links to Ancestral Warchief. You really need Greater Multiple Projectiles for the Molten Bursts tho.

Patch has nothing relevant to this though so you can try this set up if you want.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
This league is gonna be so good. With the update to masters, hideouts, crafting and Zana maps now counting towards Atlas completion and the Zana mods we'll have, it's all so damn nice. Not a fan of some of the nerfs ofc but it is what it is. Can't wait for Friday. Looks like it'll be Arc totems again as my starter unless I fall in love with something else over the next couple days.

Also if you guys aren't yet, consider joining the /r/pathofexile Discord. It's very, very active with a ton of people in it. A good variety of channels as well from beginners to build planning, crafting, etc.

Last edited:

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I started playing two weeks ago with some friends and greatly enjoy the game. I played a lot, and I mean a lot of Diablo 3 and Torchlight 1+2 over the years.

Right now we are lv. 37 and at the end of Act 3. I would love to join the Resetera Guild if possible. Character Name: Shadowdana

Played some Path of Exile when it came out but never made it past Act 1 then.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Now I can actually build my character. Nothing I was planning on using got hit with the nerf bat so I think I'm good to go. Once I see the challenge list I'll decide if I'm going to push for the cloak or not. I like the look so hopefully it isn't a pain in the ass to get.

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
You could do this, but most Ngamahu's builds will probably use Protector and not Warchief? Your goal is to proc the balls as much as possible, so usually its paired with a fast hitting attack like Cyclone and lots of aspd. Warchief won't scale the balls at all.

Protector is probably better than Warchief but Warchief has a Vaal version so I will see which performs better since they are easy to switch out. I like the look of Consecrated Path in action so I am going with that over Cyclone even though Cyclone may be better for the balls. It wouldn't be too hard to switch to Cyclone or something else if it turns out subpar. I just didn't want to get my hopes up only to learn the mechanics totally prevented it from working.

You can use Concentrated Effect, Fire Penetration, Weapon Element with Attack and Combustion with links to Ancestral Warchief. You really need Greater Multiple Projectiles for the Molten Bursts tho.

Patch has nothing relevant to this though so you can try this set up if you want.

I was playing around in PoB last night and the gems were something along those lines. I was originally thinking of a sword with a stat stick offhand consecrated path build but that is getting nerfed. I will probably be going with this as my new character and my second character overall.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Hey Greenpaint could you throw me a guild invite, finally dumped out of my current one as all my friends are... gone. :(

Account name is Kadin and one of my chars is KadinWndr. Thanks!

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say Hailrake is by far the hardest boss in the game. I have died more to Hailrake in the last week than any other boss in PoE. That asshole is incredibly random and at lvl 2 it's so damn easy to be stun locked.

inter

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone give me a quick pros/cons on traps vs. mines? I've never played either, but will likely go Arc with one or the other for my starter.

Also, an invite to the guild would be great, if possible. Account name is inter5.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a real problem with loot, what to keep, what to use, what to sell and to whom.

I just end up with a full inv and sit there staring at it thinking WTF!

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll go with Hierophant totem Arctic Breath or the new Brands with self cast, haven't decided yet.