• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Is it that bad of a nerf for RF? At 80% max res (assuming saffels and the +1 on tree), you're looking at an effective res cap of 84 (new flask) instead of 86. It's not ideal, but I don't think it'll break any RF builds, right?

Unless I'm missing something. It's been a while since I've played RF.

It's worse for RF builds that run PoF, of course, as your effective res goes from 90 (PoF + old flask) to 87.2. Even then, though, how big of a deal is it in terms of raw regen lost?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it that bad of a nerf for RF? At 80% max res (assuming saffels and the +1 on tree), you're looking at an effective res cap of 84 (new flask) instead of 86. It's not ideal, but I don't think it'll break any RF builds, right?

Unless I'm missing something. It's been a while since I've played RF.

It's worse for RF builds that run PoF, of course, as your effective res goes from 90 (PoF + old flask) to 87.2. Even then, though, how big of a deal is it in terms of raw regen lost?
RF before : 75+1+4+5(purity of fire)+6 = 91% : fire damage divided by 11.1
RF after : 75+1+4+5 = 85% plus 20% : fire damage divided by 8.33

It's pretty substantial imo

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone thinking about playing as a Cold Damage Over Time Occultist?

The new ascendancy and Tree nods look interesting.

I was thinking about:
  • Cold Snap / Vortex as main attack.
  • Frost Bomb as a debuff.
  • Triple curses with Temporal Chains, Enfeeble and Frostbite.
  • Frigid Wake takes care of freeze and chill.
  • Stuff I am still thinking: Shav for chaos damage or going CI.
  • Chayula or Vile Bastion for stun.

An idea of a starting life build.

And moving to full ES/life (life just for blood magic/ auras) or Full ES with CI.

Any tips, suggestions?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah, it's a loss of 3% res at full potential. I'm just wondering how big that impact really is in terms of life/second. Obviously it looks huge when you're talking in relative terms, as 12% is 33% more than 9%. But does that lead to an actual 33% decrease in regen?

Doing the math, pre-3.5 is 8.1% of life as fire damage per second. Post is 10.8%, which is a net loss of 2.7% life regen/second.

How much total regen does an RF character get nowadays? What is 2.7 / (total regen%) in the current meta? That's the actual magnitude of the nerf. I'd check myself but I'm on my phone at work and can't check a PoB.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone thinking about playing as a Cold Damage Over Time Occultist?

The new ascendancy and Tree nods look interesting.

I was thinking about:
  • Cold Snap / Vortex as main attack.
  • Frost Bomb as a debuff.
  • Triple curses with Temporal Chains, Enfeeble and Frostbite.
  • Frigid Wake takes care of freeze and chill.
  • Stuff I am still thinking: Shav for chaos damage or going CI.
  • Chayula or Vile Bastion for stun.

An idea of a starting life build.

And moving to full ES/life (life just for blood magic/ auras) or Full ES with CI.

Any tips, suggestions?
Sounds like it could work. Though if you are going CI you cant do triple curse. There is actually a choice you have to make where you either go life bases with profane bloom and more curses or CI with more energy shield and stun reduction.

I think you just need Cold snap for mappinf amd Vortex plus Cold snap for bosses. Maybe get like a 5 link helmet for the Vortex set up.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it could work. Though if you are going CI you cant do triple curse. There is actually a choice you have to make where you either go life bases with profane bloom and more curses or CI with more energy shield and stun reduction.

I think you just need Cold snap for mappinf amd Vortex plus Cold snap for bosses. Maybe get like a 5 link helmet for the Vortex set up.

I think I'm gonna end up dropping bloom + malediction for the chaos nodes for toxic rain. 3rd curse is a pain to fit in anyways, and it frees up needing a wither totem so you can use a decoy or something

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I will probably go with Shavs as it was kinda cheap last league.

For links I was thinking Cold Snap/Vortex + Controlled Destruction + Empower + Efficacy + Hypothermia + Swift Affliction.

For auras Discipline, Clarity and Artic Armour.

Weapons, probably one hand and shield and maybe do the change to Staffs when I have great gear.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone needs help with starter builds or help with PoE mechanics/PoB stuff then hit me up either here or on PM. Lots of new people around for this new league so I am sure many people will have questions starting out.

For links I was thinking Cold Snap/Vortex + Controlled Destruction + Empower + Efficacy + Hypothermia + Swift Affliction.

Weapons, probably one hand and shield and maybe do the change to Staffs when I have great gear.
You also probably would want something like Bonechill on Frostbomb for an extra damage multiplier. Not sure if it will be better in a 6 link or not.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone needs help with starter builds or help with PoE mechanics/PoB stuff then hit me up either here or on PM. Lots of new people around for this new league so I am sure many people will have questions starting out.

You also probably would want something like Bonechill on Frostbomb for an extra damage multiplier. Not sure if it will be better in a 6 link or not.
Summoner Champion with banners n auras, do you think it will be viable?

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Was planning on going a triple herald blade vortex for a league starter because it looked pretty fun, but all these talks about nerfs that effect blade vortex have me a little worried. Is it still going to be viable or should I be trying something else?

yagal

Oct 25, 2017

I'm looking for a build, do you think that yours is cheap, beginner friendly and fun to play?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Summoner Champion with banners n auras, do you think it will be viable?
I was going to add to that post that I am not super knowledgeable on summoner builds as it's my least played archetype.

The Champion Banner stuff is really more for group/support play rather than Summoner stuff. Is it "viable"? Sure, but I think you are going to be better off using Necromancer instead. It's possible that you can also make Summoner Champion with Impale debuff to add more damage but no matter what I think it's just going to fall behind Necromancer, hell maybe even Guardian with its new buff to Summoners.

What you might instead do is Ancestral Warchief Champion. With multiple totem support, this is a much more attractive option now in the new league. And you can still use Banners to buff so that's definitely an avenue to look into.

I'm looking for a build, do you think that yours is cheap, beginner friendly and fun to play?
That build is completely unique to this new league so people generally don't have an idea of how it will actually play out. Maybe its godlike maybe its just meh, need to actually play out or get raw gem numbers. Also Energy Shield builds aren't beginner friendly either and neither are DoT builds because they are harder to spec for if you are just starting out.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to add to that post that I am not super knowledgeable on summoner builds as it's my least played archetype.

The Champion Banner stuff is really more for group/support play rather than Summoner stuff. Is it "viable"? Sure, but I think you are going to be better off using Necromancer instead. It's possible that you can also make Summoner Champion with Impale debuff to add more damage but no matter what I think it's just going to fall behind Necromancer, hell maybe even Guardian with its new buff to Summoners.

What you might instead do is Ancestral Warchief Champion. With multiple totem support, this is a much more attractive option now in the new league. And you can still use Banners to buff so that's definitely an avenue to look into.

That build is completely unique to this new league so people generally don't have an idea of how it will actually play out. Maybe its godlike maybe its just meh, need to actually play out or get raw gem numbers. Also Energy Shield builds aren't beginner friendly either and neither are DoT builds because they are harder to spec for if you are just starting out.
How do you scale AW dmg? What would be a typical 6L to AW (before the new support)? Must have uniques?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How do you scale AW dmg? What would be a typical 6L to AW (before the new support)? Must have uniques?
6 link is Ancestral Warchief, Maim, Brutality, Melee Physical Damage, Concentrated Effect or Area of Effect & Ruthless (as in 3.4). You probably sub out Ruthless or Maim for Multiple Totem Support in 3.5 for more area coverage.

AW scales off of your own physical/melee damage so just get whatever melee physical damage nodes on the tree plus the 2H weapon type that you are using. Since it's all physical damage and doesn't really require any specific auras, you can go Blood Magic for this build (in fact that gets you the most life possible).

There are no required uniques for this build as far as I know. You can do this on full rare gear. You can use stuff like Lion's Roar, Disfavor/Starforge, Loreweave etc in the end game or whatever you want to be honest.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
I am really liking the Daresso's Defiance changes. Thinking of building something around it.

Wonder what will best take advantage of the onslaught.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am really liking the Daresso's Defiance changes. Thinking of building something around it.

Wonder what will best take advantage of the onslaught.
My guess is something like either Raider or Scion with Slayer plus Raider ascendancy so you have easy Onslaught generation even on bosses. With Raider you can get nutty 200% Onslaught effect. Seems like a solid Cyclone chest now and you can even pair it with the Daresso amulet if you are going Scion Slayer leech.

Likewise you can also pair it with Champion and Fortify as you can use the Perseverance belt to have Onslaught when you have Fortify.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
I was leaning towards Champion as I am a big fan of that belt.

Raider or Scion do seem like the no brainer options though.

Cold Snap seems interesting but I am sure tons of people are going to be running Cold Snap Occultists/Tricksters. I haven't made an occultist yet though so that's another option for me.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Comrades what would be better for an arc totem. A chest with %crit chance or soul mantle. I pretty much have my build mapped out, but this is the only real question I have. An extra totem is nice, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with curses. Also, if I get lucky and craft a gg chest I think it would be better than a soul mantle, but I'm not quite sure.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows, but a similar great build that is Chaos Damage Over Time works well and it was my base to do this build. You can check it here, it basically got buffed this league.

That looks similar to one of the starters I was eyeing. Basically to take advantage of the Occultist buffs and I've always loved Essence Drain.

Think the Trickster version might still have faster clear speed (with worse bossing maybe), but I'm not 100% positive on it. Looks like a strong, friendly build either way.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That looks similar to one of the starters I was eyeing. Basically to take advantage of the Occultist buffs and I've always loved Essence Drain.

Think the Trickster version might still have faster clear speed (with worse bossing maybe), but I'm not 100% positive on it. Looks like a strong, friendly build either way.

With the buff Cloak of Defiance got, the Trickster MoM Chaos DoT got even better and it is faster on maps, but I think Occultist is better for bosses.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My top 10 recommended league starter builds for 3.5:

Blade Vortex Elementalist
Glacial Cascade Mines
Arc Mines/Traps
Poet Pen Volatile Dead or Arc/Ball Lightning (you start as self cast then just buy Poet Pens)
Scourge Arrow/Rain of Arrows Scion/Deadeye
Elemental Hit Scion/Deadeye
Molten Strike Juggernaut
Tornado Shot/Ice Shot Deadeye
Toxic Rain Pathfinder
Essence Drain Contagion Occultist/Trickster

Molten Strike is the only melee skill on here. I think Cyclone is in a better spot now as is stuff like Infernal Blow/Onigoroshi builds alongside dual Touch of Anguish Frost Blades (one of my favorite build of all time) and of course Reave/Blade Flurry and Consecrated Path. I just think these other options are just better and easier to gear for.

I expect to see more shield usage in the new league.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
My top 10 recommended league starter builds for 3.5:

Blade Vortex Elementalist
Glacial Cascade Mines
Arc Mines/Traps
Poet Pen Volatile Dead or Arc/Ball Lightning (you start as self cast then just buy Poet Pens)
Scourge Arrow/Rain of Arrows Scion/Deadeye
Elemental Hit Scion/Deadeye
Molten Strike Juggernaut
Tornado Shot/Ice Shot Deadeye
Toxic Rain Pathfinder
Essence Drain Contagion Occultist/Trickster

Molten Strike is the only melee skill on here. I think Cyclone is in a better spot now as is stuff like Infernal Blow/Onigoroshi builds alongside dual Touch of Anguish Frost Blades (one of my favorite build of all time) and of course Reave/Blade Flurry and Consecrated Path. I just think these other options are just better and easier to gear for.

I expect to see more shield usage in the new league.

Probably going to run scourge arrow scion as s starter myself. Liked the skill when it was first showcased but dropped out early last league due to other big releases/schedule.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gem data is out on the main site.

Just preliminary look at these numbers.

Ice Spear looks pretty good for single target.
War Banner seems like mandatory for physical damage builds. Straight up 11% damage multiplier and then like +5-6% more multiplier on bosses. Only 10% mana reservation so you can have like Herald of Ash, Herald of Purity and this fairly easily. Dread Banner for Impale builds but don't know if that will be a thing.
Winter Orb numbers seem kinda low, need investment in projectiles to be good.
Ice Nova has really good numbers, I actually like this for CoC now.
Bonechill looks absolutely absurd. If you build this right, it could be 58% multiplier. Mandatory for chill DoT builds.
Storm Band seems low damage but more about killing trash. Armageddon has beefier damage with beefy Ignites.
Shattered Steel has both AOE and projectile. Gets 100% more damage multiplier at max distance so could get big damage but seems more suited for AOE like Reave.
Lancing Steel good added damage effectiveness, no AOE but good single target seems like it.
Tectonic Slam meh, basically same as before and averages out to 20% more damage.
Multiple Totem looks damn good.

Last edited:

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017

War Banner seems like mandatory for physical damage builds. Straight up 11% damage multiplier and then like +5-6% more multiplier on bosses. Only 10% mana reservation so you can have like Herald of Ash, Herald of Purity and this fairly easily. Dread Banner for Impale builds but don't know if that will be a thing.
Bonechill looks absolutely absurd. If you build this right, it could be 58% multiplier. Mandatory for chill DoT builds.

Storm Band seems low damage but more about killing trash. Armageddon has beefier damage with beefy Ignites.
Shattered Steel has both AOE and projectile. Gets 100% more damage multiplier at max distance so could get big damage but seems more suited for AOE like Reave.
Lancing Steel good added damage effectiveness, no AOE but good single target seems like it.
Tectonic Slam meh, basically same as before and averages out to 20% more damage.

Ice Nova CoC sounds fun with cospri's malices.

Might think of doing a Cold dot Trickster/occultist. Might be easier to start as a trickster due to sustain.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
My body is ready. Today I hit the fastest run I've ever done in PoE. Wasn't particularly good rng. Didn't get a 4 link until end of Act 4, but had two by the middle part of act 5. Couldn't buy spire lightning trap until right before I faced Izaro. The first four acts took me 2 hours and 20 min. After that though arc totems just shreds everything. Total time in the run was 4 hours 14 min. It's a shame I can't start right when the league starts.

https://imgur.com/a/8lz555k

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice.

Racing used to be one of my favorite parts of PoE. I still got my cosmetic rewards from seasons 1-5 somewhere.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just realized that with Shaper stat sticks nerfed, this is not at all a bad build to run:

yfDg3e3.jpg

I would probably drop Hyrie Ire's though (as the cold damage is only for bows now) and instead go for the new Daresso chest as it does have some attack dodge and increases your Onslaught potency even higher.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I wonder if kill with totems will charge the banner.

I decided for AW champion with +3 totems (1Hand + 1Shield) and War Banner alongside Champion ascendacies. If AW kills wont feed the banner then is going to be more useless than expected.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, either I am just plain dumb, or this game is obtuse as F.

I just can't seem to get my head around the loop, on the face of it, I should love this game, but it just feels like I am butting my head up against a brick wall.

It's not even the passive tree that's freaking me out, that's fine, I can get my head around that, it's the whole loot thing that just seems to go over my head.

I assume I am just trying to collect loot that isn't a direct upgrade (or can be made into a direct upgrade) with a view to vendoring for currency, and use that currency to get better currency to upgrade my items, or items I feel can be made better?

The whole recipe system seems needlessly obtuse, do people really just refer to cheat sheets or internet resources until they have them memorized?, that must take AGES.

There is just system upon system upon system, each with it's own currency, gem skill slots that I can't differentiate between because I am colour blind, and the XB1 version seems to have no colour blind options, slots amounts are bound to different items, and levels, so I struggle to know how many slots I should expect when using orbs.

The game really doesn't tell you the importance of elemental resistances either, and it's quite a wall to get them up to a decent level once you realise just how important they are.

Then there is the inventory, sorting is a pain, would premium or currency tabs make life much easier?

I just don't know, or have anyway of knowing, if I am playing it right or not!

Just venting I guess, but any tips or QoL adjustments I can make to make life easier are welcome!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man, either I am just plain dumb, or this game is obtuse as F.

I just can't seem to get my head around the loop, on the face of it, I should love this game, but it just feels like I am butting my head up against a brick wall.

It's not even the passive tree that's freaking me out, that's fine, I can get my head around that, it's the whole loot thing that just seems to go over my head.

I assume I am just trying to collect loot that isn't a direct upgrade (or can be made into a direct upgrade) with a view to vendoring for currency, and use that currency to get better currency to upgrade my items, or items I feel can be made better?

The whole recipe system seems needlessly obtuse, do people really just refer to cheat sheets or internet resources until they have them memorized?, that must take AGES.

There is just system upon system upon system, each with it's own currency, gem skill slots that I can't differentiate between because I am colour blind, and the XB1 version seems to have no colour blind options, slots amounts are bound to different items, and levels, so I struggle to know how many slots I should expect when using orbs.

The game really doesn't tell you the importance of elemental resistances either, and it's quite a wall to get them up to a decent level once you realise just how important they are.

Then there is the inventory, sorting is a pain, would premium or currency tabs make life much easier?

I just don't know, or have anyway of knowing, if I am playing it right or not!

Just venting I guess, but any tips or QoL adjustments I can make to make life easier are welcome!
Probably the main fix to these issues is to play the PC version instead so managing stuff is easier. You are probably picking up too much junk while going through the acts which is making inventory management harder.

Also most of the vendor recipes are trash. There are only a handful that people remember that gets use:

6 socket item into 6 Jewelers
3 different color socket linked is 1 chrome (if you are color blind this can be an issue of course)
Full set of unided rares past item level 65 is 2 chaos. Ided is 1 chaos.
Inventory full of unique rings gives a Loreweave
Lvl 20 gem with 1 Gemcutter prism vendors into lvl1 20 quality gem
A few items can be traded up 3 at a tine to upgrade to next tier like sextants tho this is situational

Other than that it would be helpful to know about specific issues. Main thing is that you have to learn a lot with the game, so always have the wiki page ready.

As far as slots go, its fairly easy (with exception of uniques)

1 handed weapons are 3 slots
Armor pieces like Glove, Boots and Helmet are 4
2 handed weapons and chest armour are 6 socket

There are Unset rings that can hold on socket but dont worry about that, get rings with resistances and life instead.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I forgot about 6S, 6L and gemcutter/glassblower recipes (40 quality total in gems or flasks = 1 gemcutter prism or glassblower bauble), useful early on, at least for flasks, I always do gemcutter

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I almost only do chaos recipe tbh. It's easy to remember and with a quad stash easy to organize.
I do it until I hit like tier 12s

See, this is a bit of my problem, the nomenclature that users use doesn't seem to relate to the game, or the game doesn't have this specific nomenclature in it, I don't know what "quad stash" or tier 12 is!!!

Probably the main fix to these issues is to play the PC version instead so managing stuff is easier. You are probably picking up too much junk while going through the acts which is making inventory management harder.

Also most of the vendor recipes are trash. There are only a handful that people remember that gets use:

6 socket item into 6 Jewelers
3 different color socket linked is 1 chrome (if you are color blind this can be an issue of course)
Full set of unided rares past item level 65 is 2 chaos. Ided is 1 chaos.
Inventory full of unique rings gives a Loreweave
Lvl 20 gem with 1 Gemcutter prism vendors into lvl1 20 quality gem
A few items can be traded up 3 at a tine to upgrade to next tier like sextants tho this is situational

Other than that it would be helpful to know about specific issues. Main thing is that you have to learn a lot with the game, so always have the wiki page ready.

I think my biggest issue is seeing videos with people flying through levels and destroying loads of enemies with each hit, it looks like they are playing a different game to me as I walk through levels hitting things with my molten strike axe, it kills everything, but looks nothing like others!

Maybe I am just not far enough into the game, my first character got to Act 4 and lvl 52 before I hit a wall, started again and I am now at Act 4 again, this time only lvl 32.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, this is a bit of my problem, the nomenclature that users use doesn't seem to relate to the game, or the game doesn't have this specific nomenclature in it, I don't know what "quad stash" or tier 12 is!!!

I think my biggest issue is seeing videos with people flying through levels and destroying loads of enemies with each hit, it looks like they are playing a different game to me as I walk through levels hitting things with my molten strike axe, it kills everything, but looks nothing like others!

Maybe I am just not far enough into the game, my first character got to Act 4 and lvl 52 before I hit a wall, started again and I am now at Act 4 again, this time only lvl 32.
Tier 12 is maps, maps have tiers from 1 to 15, and shaper guardian maps are 16.
Chaos recipe is for end game.
You haven't even reached end game so yeah it makes sense that none of this rings a bell.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I assume you have installed a loot filter. See http://filterblade.xyz/ if you have not. Choose a filter level that suits your speed (at which you kill stuff). When in doubt, choose "regular". Loot filter will cut out a lot of useless stuff out and it will highlight more important and valuable items for you.

When looking at items, you should be looking at their stats. Basic stat priority order:
1) Life -- most important stat in game. Damage is infinite, but life is only available from a very limited number of sources.
2) Resistances so that you are capped. Chaos can be largely ignored, but you will want SOME eventually or chaos damage will just kill you. Just don't leave it at -60%
3) Damage boosting stats
4) Other stats

That's the priority order. Many new players make the mistake of making damage stats the priority and ignore survivability stats. As a result their game experience will be horrible. You will learn to optimize your items better over time, but that 4-point priority list will help you get started.

Currency tab is the best tab IMO, and should be first you get. 1 premium tab so that selling things to other people gets easier. Rest of the tabs are just for making your life easier. Map tab is also pretty neat and helps immensely with map sorting. But you don't have to worry about that until you get to endgame. You CAN play PoE without spending any money on tabs, but IMO currency+1 premium will make your life a lot easier.

If you are not the kind of player who wants to play SSF (Solo Self Found) then you should learn how to trade. http://poe.trade/ or official site https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/

The basic idea behind money making is that because PoE loot has a lot of RNG behind it, it's pretty challenging to find the exact best items your character needs. But you WILL get drops that are valuable to other players! So what you can do is you sell the good items to other players, and buy stuff you need with the money. It takes time to learn what is valuable and what is not, but you'll get to it.

Hope this helps you get started.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume you have installed a loot filter. See http://filterblade.xyz/ if you have not. Choose a filter level that suits your speed (at which you kill stuff). When in doubt, choose "regular". Loot filter will cut out a lot of useless stuff out and it will highlight more important and valuable items for you.

When looking at items, you should be looking at their stats. Basic stat priority order:
1) Life -- most important stat in game. Damage is infinite, but life is only available from a very limited number of sources.
2) Resistances so that you are capped. Chaos can be largely ignored, but you will want SOME eventually or chaos damage will just kill you. Just don't leave it at -60%
3) Damage boosting stats
4) Other stats

That's the priority order. Many new players make the mistake of making damage stats the priority and ignore survivability stats. As a result their game experience will be horrible. You will learn to optimize your items better over time, but that 4-point priority list will help you get started.

Currency tab is the best tab IMO, and should be first you get. 1 premium tab so that selling things to other people gets easier. Rest of the tabs are just for making your life easier. Map tab is also pretty neat and helps immensely with map sorting. But you don't have to worry about that until you get to endgame. You CAN play PoE without spending any money on tabs, but IMO currency+1 premium will make your life a lot easier.

If you are not the kind of player who wants to play SSF (Solo Self Found) then you should learn how to trade. http://poe.trade/ or official site https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/

The basic idea behind money making is that because PoE loot has a lot of RNG behind it, it's pretty challenging to find the exact best items your character needs. But you WILL get drops that are valuable to other players! So what you can do is you sell the good items to other players, and buy stuff you need with the money. It takes time to learn what is valuable and what is not, but you'll get to it.

Hope this helps you get started.
Yup, that's helpful.

XB1 does come with the nosink (I think) filter installed by default, and I have played about with the settings, but again, there is a huge learning curve as to what the different colours, backgrounds and borders denote in terms of usefulness, again colour issues are present, but I can tell RGB items simply because the colours are different, although R and G are still very close together, which is where my biggest issue lies in terms of colour, I just have a tough time differentiating between the two, especially with gems as they aren't solid colours and I just end up having to select the gem and seeing if I have a slot free to fit it in!, not ideal!

I don't have a PC, so XB1 is my only option, unfortunately.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Ah right, when playing on XB1 some of the systems like trading will be different. I can't give any advice on that front then.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017

The game changes drastically as you level up. Also it changes drastically for the leveling part when you know what you're doing, people hit maps(lvl 75-80 after clearing the 10acts and sometimes farming some) in like, 4-5 hours nowadays? Meanwhile a new player will clear Act1 in the same amount of time. Knowing the layout, what gear to pickup, what to skip, how to maximize xp, what skill and supports to pick to level efficiently, how to path through the early tree etc makes a huge difference.

It's just a very large and complex game, imo that's what I loved about it, just take your time, look up answers as you go, don't try to rush to endgame or do the same as the video of the guy doing 4million DPS and such.

On the vendor recipes, you'll just remember them as you go as you learn them and see how useful(or not) they are. There's plenty of recipes people use at different stages of the game.

For example early game, you mostly want to check the wand/sceptre recipe to get +1 to fire/lightning/ice gems since those make leveling very easy when using spells(for attacks you can look into the weapon+cloth belt for physical % weapon, but not nearly as useful imo). Also boots+quicksilver=boots with movement speed, good for cashing in additional quicksilvers you don't need since movespeed is vital to leveling fast. Stuff like 3 of the same flask > 1 flask of a higher tier is useful too especially for life flask if you're not lucky. You can definitely level without these, but they'll make leveling faster, they're part of the many tricks people who level super fast use.

Later on there's not as many relevant recipes imo, mostly chaos recipe which was listed before, selling 6S items for jeweler orbs, selling RGB items for chromatics(which a lot of people don't do/stop doing early because chroms aren't worth that much) and the 3x of an item > higher tier item works well sextants and maps.

But you can, and should live without learning everything on the first run. Just get to a high enough level, kill stuff, have fun, then reroll and do it better. Everytime you reroll, you can learn a bit more about the game mechanics and read a bit more of the wiki to expand your knowledge.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game changes drastically as you level up. Also it changes drastically for the leveling part when you know what you're doing, people hit maps(lvl 75-80 after clearing the 10acts and sometimes farming some) in like, 4-5 hours nowadays? Meanwhile a new player will clear Act1 in the same amount of time. Knowing the layout, what gear to pickup, what to skip, how to maximize xp, what skill and supports to pick to level efficiently, how to path through the early tree etc makes a huge difference.

It's just a very large and complex game, imo that's what I loved about it, just take your time, look up answers as you go, don't try to rush to endgame or do the same as the video of the guy doing 4million DPS and such.

On the vendor recipes, you'll just remember them as you go as you learn them and see how useful(or not) they are. There's plenty of recipes people use at different stages of the game.

For example early game, you mostly want to check the wand/sceptre recipe to get +1 to fire/lightning/ice gems since those make leveling very easy when using spells(for attacks you can look into the weapon+cloth belt for physical % weapon, but not nearly as useful imo). Also boots+quicksilver=boots with movement speed, good for cashing in additional quicksilvers you don't need since movespeed is vital to leveling fast. Stuff like 3 of the same flask > 1 flask of a higher tier is useful too especially for life flask if you're not lucky. You can definitely level without these, but they'll make leveling faster, they're part of the many tricks people who level super fast use.

Later on there's not as many relevant recipes imo, mostly chaos recipe which was listed before, selling 6S items for jeweler orbs, selling RGB items for chromatics(which a lot of people don't do/stop doing early because chroms aren't worth that much) and the 3x of an item > higher tier item works well sextants and maps.

But you can, and should live without learning everything on the first run. Just get to a high enough level, kill stuff, have fun, then reroll and do it better. Everytime you reroll, you can learn a bit more about the game mechanics and read a bit more of the wiki to expand your knowledge.
Thanks for that, makes a lot of sense.

I could be doing a bit of 'trying to run before I can walk'!

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to starting up tomorrow night, but I still haven't come close to deciding what I want to play. Arc totems is fun enough but I also like the idea of trying something new/different.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Looking forward to starting up tomorrow night, but I still haven't come close to deciding what I want to play. Arc totems is fun enough but I also like the idea of trying something new/different.

Ive never played a trapper or miner. I have been thinking about GC miner for a long while now but arc trapper seems pretty crazy too.

Always fun to try something different. Will be a while before I go contagion/ED trickster or RF jugg again.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Ive never played a trapper or miner. I have been thinking about GC miner for a long while now but arc trapper seems pretty crazy too.

Always fun to try something different. Will be a while before I go contagion/ED trickster or RF jugg again.

There seem to be a number of fun/strong frost skill builds across multiple classes that have me interested, I'm just not sure how new league friendly they are.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to try the new skills to see if I like how they feel before dedicating a build to one but I'm still playing around on the POE tree website at work. I'll probably seriously dedicate tonight to mapping out what I'm going to settle on.

I have set targets for things like EHP, shaper DPS, and mobility but attack/cast speed is something I need to play around with to really figure out how a build will feel. I like zippy characters with just enough wiggle room to make one or two mistakes. I'm over the RF playstyle. It's safe and effective but also boring.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to try the new skills to see if I like how they feel before dedicating a build to one but I'm still playing around on the POE tree website at work. I'll probably seriously dedicate tonight to mapping out what I'm going to settle on.

I have set targets for things like EHP, shaper DPS, and mobility but attack/cast speed is something I need to play around with to really figure out how a build will feel. I like zippy characters with just enough wiggle room to make one or two mistakes. I'm over the RF playstyle. It's safe and effective but also boring.

I'd definitely like to toy around with some kind of Champion Impale build, but yeah at this point I have no idea what that would look like or if it would be effective in a new league.