• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
Figured it would be something like this lol

TBH I just don't remember much about leveling my arc totem guy. I think I aimed for ancestral bond around the time I was doing normal lab to have 3 totems, but with multi totem support now you could prob go even earlier if you wanted to have 4 totems asap. Double dropping is probably great for leveling too, much more consistent kills on trash with the extra coverage

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I didn't even think of multiple totem support from a leveling perspective. Holy crap, that will be nice.

Still wondering if the buffs to ED are enough to get me to play ED again.

Torn between Arc Totem Heiro, ED Trickster or Occultist, or RF... something.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Was gonna do Arc totems once again as it was very, very easy and fast to level with last league. Decided last night after doing some looking that I'm actually gonna try Arc Mines. I loved GC a few leagues back, why not try this now since Arc didn't get touched.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
So after reading through new skills description does arctic breath work with pierce now that it doesn't travel on the ground?

I need to watch some streamer discussions on youtube or something. I haven't looked into many opinions since patch notes came out.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People seem to think you can combine it with Pierce to get multiple chilled grounds.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Its very unlikely that it is bad considering that even without the Bonechill gem (which is a 58% MORE damage multiplier, highest in the game), people have like 200K DPS on just one skill and you are going to be stacking like 4 skills at one time. I don't think its the issue of damage but rather how awkward its gonna be to play when you have to rotate 4 skills though I guess for mapping you just use one skill and that should be enough.

And the skill tree is fairly easy too. I think the objective is going to be getting 200% chill effect on your character to reach the cap of 30% chill so you can get the maximum possible damage multiplier. There is an item that increases the effect of your non damaging ailments per Elder item equipped and if all of your items are Elder items then that is 8x9 = 72% chill effect just from your items.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it seems most people are saying you will have to be rotating 4 skills. Might just be easier to stick with scourge arrow as my starter but it is winter time...

I rarely push high tier and my characters always end up MF anyways so it might make more sense for me since I will just be using the one skill.

What are all the cold skills that people are theorycrafting on stacking with a cold based character?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been hearing good thing about Blade Vortex, with regard to both its overall viability and starter build friendliness. Anyone have any particular builds I should look at?

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it seems most people are saying you will have to be rotating 4 skills. Might just be easier to stick with scourge arrow as my starter but it is winter time...

I rarely push high tier and my characters always end up MF anyways so it might make more sense for me since I will just be using the one skill.

What are all the cold skills that people are theorycrafting on stacking with a cold based character?

Cold Snap and Vortex to see how a Cold DoT build works.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I have been seeing those 2 mentioned quite a bit. Will they be needed for Arctic Breath build granted pierce works with them now? I guess they would be useful for higher level bosses to maximize dps as arctic breath should be more than enough for clear.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been hearing good thing about Blade Vortex, with regard to both its overall viability and starter build friendliness. Anyone have any particular builds I should look at?
https://pastebin.com/236i0i6C

You can use mine I had from a league or two ago. Pretty much same as other builds out there but this is a bit more "rich boy" semi optimum version.

It doesn't use any Shaper mods on the rare weapon/shield for starter so that's more damage you can get somewhere. The build actually has higher damage than that because it can Shock everything for like 20-30% more damage taken.

Hrimburn is the only required unique in this build to convert the damage. The Warlord mark Elder ring is very important too and you want it asap so that you can sustain. Otherwise you need to something like have the boot enchant for mapping and curse on hit set up on Orb of Storm or cast when damage taken set up. Everything else just makes the build beefier. MoM for more defense, I only use Herald of Ice and Herald of Thunder though you don't really need Herald of Thunder. Blood Rage to make Shield Charging faster, Vaal Righteous Fire for more spell damage, Vaal Haste for speed buff while mapping. Orb of Storm has Power Charge on Crit and Arcane Surge with Flame dash to get over ledges. Shield Charge with Blood Magic and Fortify/Faster Attacks for mobility.

Full elemental conversion with Hrimburn and Physical to Lightning gem. Over 7K effective HP, sustain through Warlords Mark on elder ring, Intuitive Leap for some extra mana/life plus charges sustain while mapping, over a million Shaper DPS without factoring in Vaal Righteous Fire and Shock multiplier. Inpulsa chest for insane clear speed. This build can do anything in the game. If you want to you you can drop a utility flask for a Vessel of Vinktar for even more damage but it's really not even needed, the Flask really isnt that good anymore. Quicksilver and Diamond Flask are kinda mandatory and you really need that one Life flask to save your ass.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I have been seeing those 2 mentioned quite a bit. Will they be needed for Arctic Breath build granted pierce works with them now? I guess they would be useful for higher level bosses to maximize dps as arctic breath should be more than enough for clear.

For the reworked Ice DoT skills you probably only need one to clear maps and a second or third for bosses. Same with debuffs like Frost Bomb, only need for bosses or hard enemies. I am going Cold Snap main and Vortex as secondary.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Also after reading the Bonechill gem many, many times...

You are going to want to use this support gem on EVERY SINGLE Cold build ever. One of the tag states that enemies take more cold damage with amount of chill effect with supported skill. Well Bone chill already chills for 44% more effect and you get base 10% chill on Cold Snap, then 20% increased effect of chill on Cold snap plus around the tree you can get around 100% increased chill for 20% overall chill. That translates to a straight up 20% MORE damage multiplier just by attaching Cold Snap + Bonechill on any cold damage build set up.

Worth using on Ice Shot as that not only does cold damage but leaves chilling ground as well. That means it can potentially DOUBLE dip on the Bonechill effect.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably how I would build it. Although would make sense for a second character for me due to items needed to make it shine.

If shavs is as cheap as last league then it would not be that expensive in maps, only until the end when I would want to craft a staff with +2 to cold skills, +1 to all skills and with the new elder (I think) mod that gives Cold DoT multiplier. And probably an expensive watcher eye and one expensive elder ring. And upgrading/buying Eye of Chayula to Presences of Chayula.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New ailments info:

cqfovsza1q221.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexil...e_are_the_new_ailments_and_information_about/

Sap looks interesting for defense, but they do not seem worth trading for the old elemental ailments.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
fuck it, i still wanna do toxic rain pathfinder to start. I adjusted my tree to hit the new chaos nodes and its a minor damage loss with the quill rain, ill eventually craft an elder bow but i think its still ok to league start. I can always get some more attack speed on tree and use a storm cloud. Ill play around with it. I just love how cheap it and effective it is.

Last edited:

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Wait wait wait... you guys are able to decide what builds to play that easily?

I jest, but I still don't know what to play tomorrow....

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
https://pastebin.com/N60RihrF

Going to go with a cold snap/vortex build using staves and maybe carcass jack or crystal vault; I haven't decided which yet. Waiting on bonechill to fill in the rest of the links.

I have something very similar to this with Carcass jack but I'm currently playing around with Eldritch battery MoM and reserving all my mana with curses. I think it'll be a solid build no matter how you build it. (Im building towards HC, however)

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
fuck it, i still wanna do toxic rain pathfinder to start. I adjusted my tree to hit the new chaos nodes and its a minor damage loss with the quill rain, ill eventually craft an elder bow but i think its still ok to league start. I can always get some more attack speed on tree and use a storm cloud. Ill play around with it. I just love how cheap it and effective it is.

This is my plan, though as occultist. I figure at worst you can still just farm up a 6L short bow fairly quickly, then get +1gens and aspd on it as a nice starter bow. I may even just try out quillrain tbh, damage should be fairly similar because of the new CDoT multi, so at least for clearing I don't see it being a problem at all

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This is my plan, though as occultist. I figure at worst you can still just farm up a 6L short bow fairly quickly, then get +1gens and aspd on it as a nice starter bow. I may even just try out quillrain tbh, damage should be fairly similar because of the new CDoT multi, so at least for clearing I don't see it being a problem at all

My method is to get the porcupine cards and chance the bow. They'll be dirt cheap this time around. Im actually going to farm labs with this character so ill have to play around with the dmg and the bows. Im 100% sure what i wanna use just yet, but i bet i land on an elder bow

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
https://pastebin.com/NBapaqVd

This is what I am thinking of for a starter for now. Will transition to CI late 80's/90 or go LL depending on values of some items. Starting off as EB/MoM. Carcass Jack could be an option but I'd move some nodes around to take advantage of it.

Bonechill will be added to the build but it's not in PoB. Also not sure how I want to go about leveling and the path I will take.

Scourge Arrow is my next choice for a LS.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for cheap Hierophant builds?

Totems are stupid easy to gear. Here's my plan for arc totems:
  1. Rush through to Act 9
  2. Farm Blood Aqueducts for gear, and levels
  3. Go back and finish any side quests plus kill Izaro
  4. Farm Blood Aqueducts for Tabula
  5. Rush to Kitava and then do any missing skill point quests
  6. Set up poe.trade pings for Maligaro's Virtuosity and Marylene's Fallacy
Skill Tree Allocation:
Skill Points at Level 85 (From 85 on just grab more damage and crit multi)​

While Leveling:
  • Start as a shadow. Kill Hillock and get explosive trap from Tarkgleigh
  • As soon as you get into Lioneye's Watch check the vendors for a 3-link wand with BBB,BBG, or BBR
  • Get a +1 to lightning wand using a 3 link wand with recipe (Alteration, Magic wand, topaz ring) as soon as possible
  • Use explosive trap for single target damage early on and lightning spire trap as soon as you can use it (Get it from Act III Library quest)
  • Use Frost Bomb + something like Freezing pulse until you get arc
  • Use flame dash with arcane surge at lvl 1 to proc arcane surge frequently
  • In act II do the Den quest. This is important as you can run two quicksilver flasks which helps out a ton
  • Save any chance orbs or fusings you find. You need a chance orb to buy lightning spire trap in Act III Library quest. You can go to a vendor that sells currency and trade a fusing for a chance orb.
  • At 12 use arc and frost bombs to level up, and make the switch to arc totems when you get ancestral bond
Links:
Flame Dash - Arcane Surge - Faster Casting (BBB)​
Spell Totem - Arc - Faster Casting/Controlled Destruction - Lightning Penetration (BBBR)​
Lightning Spire Trap - Lightning Pen - Trap and Mine Damage - Controlled Destruction(BBBG)​
Orb of Storms - Curse of hit - Conductivity (BBB)​
Early leveling Links:
Arc - Flame Dash - Arcane Surge (BBB)​
Frost Bomb - Added Lightning - Onslaught (BBG)​

Essentially it's a crit arc totem build with just Tabula, Maligaro's and Marylene's. Tabula you farm for and the other two you can buy for fairly cheap. If you have any questions or want me to go over anything in more detail just let me know. I originally had something more detailed than this, but exited out of chrome like an idiot.

Last edited:

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
waggle makes very good builds that are defense focused, as hes a purely hardcore player, I highly recommend checking his stuff out. He's super friendly in stream as well, if you have any questions.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Waggle put out his Occultist Cold Snap Bonechill build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymGB_xZAi04

That build is very similar to mine. IT might even be the same as I took some examples and kind of put them all together now that I am looking at it.

I haven't of heard/followed waggle but if he's good people then I think I just might stick with my current pob and take some of his options into consideration. Really want to use arctic breath in some capacity as he doesn't in this build it seems.

Yea Boston sports fans. Mostly Celtics though. Nearly all my posts on GAF and on Reset are in the sports threads.

Awesome! I don't go in the other half of the forums, even though I probably should. I am the only Celtics fan I really know as I live in SoCal and everyone here, including family, are Lakers fans.

I've gotten crap for many years for my Boston love.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Totems are stupid easy to gear. Here's my plan for arc totems:
  1. Rush through to Act 9
  2. Farm Blood Aqueducts for gear, and levels
  3. Go back and finish any side quests plus kill Izaro
  4. Farm Blood Aqueducts for Tabula
  5. Rush to Kitava and then do any missing skill point quests
  6. Set up poe.trade pings for Maligaro's Virtuosity and Marylene's Fallacy
Skill Tree Allocation:
Skill Points at Level 85 (From 85 on just grab more damage and crit multi)​

While Leveling:
  • Start as a shadow. Kill Hillock and get explosive trap from Tarkgleigh
  • As soon as you get into Lioneye's Watch check the vendors for a 3-link wand with BBB,BBG, or BBR
  • Get a +1 to lightning wand using a 3 link wand with recipe (Alteration, Magic wand, topaz ring) as soon as possible
  • Use explosive trap for single target damage early on and lightning spire trap as soon as you can use it (Get it from Act III Library quest)
  • Use Frost Bomb + something like Freezing pulse until you get arc
  • Use flame dash with arcane surge at lvl 1 to proc arcane surge frequently
  • In act II do the Den quest. This is important as you can run two quicksilver flasks which helps out a ton
  • Save any chance orbs or fusings you find. You need a chance orb to buy lightning spire trap in Act III Library quest. You can go to a vendor that sells currency and trade a fusing for a chance orb.
  • At 12 use arc and frost bombs to level up, and make the switch to arc totems when you get ancestral bond
Links:
Flame Dash - Arcane Surge - Faster Casting (BBB)​
Spell Totem - Arc - Faster Casting/Controlled Destruction - Lightning Penetration (BBBR)​
Lightning Spire Trap - Lightning Pen - Trap and Mine Damage - Controlled Destruction(BBBG)​
Orb of Storms - Curse of hit - Conductivity (BBB)​
Early leveling Links:
Arc - Flame Dash - Arcane Surge (BBB)​
Frost Bomb - Added Lightning - Onslaught (BBG)​

Essentially it's a crit arc totem build with just Tabula, Maligaro's and Marylene's. Tabula you farm for and the other two you can buy for fairly cheap. If you have any questions or want me to go over anything in more detail just let me know. I originally had something more detailed than this, but exited out of chrome like an idiot.

I saw a build today that was hiero blade vortex / blade fall totem. I've done blade fall before but have never seen Blade Vortex totem nor know if it will actually work. I know they changed it to only 5 stacks. Maybe that's why?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Will taking the second totem on the tree keep you from using brands? It seems like it would... odd that they'd try to get Heiros to spec brands when they're almost guaranteed to grab the extra totem, especially after revealing multiple totem support is a late early game gem.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a build today that was hiero blade vortex / blade fall totem. I've done blade fall before but have never seen Blade Vortex totem nor know if it will actually work. I know they changed it to only 5 stacks. Maybe that's why?
I don't believe blade vortex totems works, but would have to look into it. Would probably be bad though. Since blade vortex needs to wind up to do damage, and every time you put a totem down it would be going from 0 stacks. Bladefall used to be meta in 3.0 or 3.1 can't remember. Blade fall totems used to be op, but there are just better options right now. You could still probably make a solid bladefall totem build though. Would not suggest you even try blade vortex totems.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe blade vortex totems works, but would have to look into it. Would probably be bad though. Since blade vortex needs to wind up to do damage, and every time you put a totem down it would be going from 0 stacks. Bladefall used to be meta in 3.0 or 3.1 can't remember. Blade fall totems used to be op, but there are just better options right now. You could still probably make a solid bladefall totem build though. Would not suggest you even try blade vortex totems.
I've never heard of it. I'll probably do max block agony crawler for a starter.

red13th

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

Thanks! It's a lot of help already.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
https://pastebin.com/hnTmes6E

Dirt cheap spectre summoner that can clear most content by just arriving in the general area. Switch out spectres and/or gems a bit for higher shaper/elder dps.

I'm tempted to try that cold snap thing though, or some other cold spells. I played with PoB a bit and should be viable but I'm not sure how expensive they will be so I don't know. I've done this same summoner build so many times before. But it's so easy.

-----
Torrent file up in case someone needs: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2256295

-----

Fairgraves mystery boxes tomorrow: https://i.redd.it/xvq1eifwqr221.jpg

Last edited:

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Decided I'm gonna give one of the new impale champion builds a try, as one of the big streamers posted a build. The nice thing is that if the skills ends up being lackluster, it's an easy transition to a number of tried and true champ builds, so not much of a risk.

GordonHalfman

Nov 18, 2017
How does EB MoM work with chaos damage? I guess it bypasses ES as normal, effectively bypassing MoM? Seems like those incursion spitters would be an issue with only 5k life. I wanted to try Arctic Breath Occultist with the Shadowstitch chest, since it gives some mapping sustain and also easy +gems since AB has three of the relevant tags but it might make it too hard to get chaos res.

Maybe EB MoM can consider cloak of Defiance now, since I believe the ES got quite a buff.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This may or may not be answered here, but I'll ask anyway.

Yesterday i purchased a supporters pack from xbox marketplace, the marketplace was a bit wonky and i ended up buying it 3 times, put in a refund request for the 2 extra packs and they refunded, all fine.

The only issue is, the points from the extra packs are still in my game, will GGG take them back, don't like the idea of having something i haven't paid for.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This may or may not be answered here, but I'll ask anyway.

Yesterday i purchased a supporters pack from xbox marketplace, the marketplace was a bit wonky and i ended up buying it 3 times, put in a refund request for the 2 extra packs and they refunded, all fine.

The only issue is, the points from the extra packs are still in my game, will GGG take them back, don't like the idea of having something i haven't paid for.
You can contact support and ask. Every time I've contacted them they've answered in around 10 minutes.

[email protected]

I think they have a way of changing the points associated with an account on their end rather easily. From what I've heard at least.

Last edited: