• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tried farming Ossuary and it was a chore

Someone pointed me towards Foothills, it's like a 50% speed improvement over ossuary because the flow is a lot better (which helps with intervention)... they are more likely to spawn near the checkpoint, you can reset in zone and when you tp to town you don't have to move and can reset right on the spot.

Sulphite scarabs are getting expensive right now

If level is not a problem, The Twilight Strand in act 6 might be better.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
is there info on trading/econ? i basically kept my head down and followed the coldsnap/vortex CI occultist to level 63. was able to get immortal call and phase run from friends but i need a 'cast when damage taken' gem to link em. tia
You can just buy the gem from an NPC in Act 6.

Trading is generally done via poe.trade or the trading api on the official website. You just whisper people in game if you want to buy stuff. To sell stuff you kinda need a Premium stash. Learning about the game's economy is a beast itself but most items are traded via Chaos Orbs and Exalts Orbs for the big boy items.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
After yesterday guild chat I went to the conclusion that the Headhunter is the mid-league crisis purchase for rich players.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I need to get back on the Path. The holiday period and other games got in the way, but I'm close to done with some of them now.

Any good builds I can have for ~10ex anyone would recommend?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I need to get back on the Path. The holiday period and other games got in the way, but I'm close to done with some of them now.

Any good builds I can have for ~10ex anyone would recommend?
Its that new Cold Vortex Occultist build. Well, it has a high ceiling but to start off its pretty cheap as its all rares to gear. As is Storm Band Elementalist, both of these builds you can start with rares and own content as the base skills are so powerful. Winter Orb Elementalist is strong as well as it's essentially another Blade Vortex type skill.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, Cold Vortex Occultist. Yeah, it caught my eye, thanks!. I didn't want to do another Elementalist right away (I did consider Arc mines to reuse some of my gear and gems tho), but Brands in general looked strong as fuck since the beginning. The Impale skills looked very disappointing in comparison so maybe next xpac.

Time to do some research.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Impale skills are actually decent.

Lancing Steel has good single target because all the projectiles individually do damage. With Pierce or Chain you can get good clear as well.

Shattering Steel people figured out that using Fork and positioning near the opponent causes the skill to effectively shotgun its projectiles. This allows it to also be both a decent clear skill and good single target.

Main thing is that it's not that worthwhile to build for Impale, just go Ele convesion with Abyss jewel stacking for more damage and use Deadeye instead of Champion.

But its still better to go for spells/brands in general or some sort of proc/CoC set up.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Which 36 did you guys do? I'm at 28 and some seem doable with some grinding but I think more than 4 are over my head.
spoilered for length
Challenges I'm missing:
-Endgame Grinds (not happening too many are just not fun)
-Zana's Questline (not sure I can take Uber Elder)
-Mastermind II (even knowing the fight and running it a few times I think it's beyond my skill level)
+Atlas Objectives (doable just a slog at 65/400 so far)
+Maps with 8 Mods (easy but limited by vaal orbs for me)
+Scarabs (doable, just need to manipulate the syndicate or buy my way to victory)
?Encounters III (Killing A'Alai last seems doable but I got wrecked last time I tried, and I've never fought Uul-Netol so no clue how viable killing with 5 stacks of corrupted blood is, did the others)
?Fully upgrade rooms (at 15/24, RNG gated so no idea if it'll happen)
+Safehouse Stashes (Done with all but research, definitely happening)
+Encounters II (Need to fight a lich and release an essence, doable if I can ever spawn a lich)
+Depth 270, (almost there, just need to keep eating sulphite)

Looking at this I think Encounters III is the one I can sacrifice. That would mean dealing with Temple Room Upgrade RNG or killing Uber Elder.
I did the same as Euler mentioned, or rather skipped the ones he mentioned.

For the Mastermind II, I just bought the completion. I tried 3x and I wasn't having it, lol. Finally found a really good runner who has a forum post on PoE's forum here if you want to look into it. You'll see a +1 from me in there from a few days back. The stashes were NOT going to happen for me, Research was way too rare and I was farming Intervention for a long time. Can also look to the guy I mentioned if you wanna get Uber Elder done although I could help ya with that too if you'd like, and I won't charge anything. And yeah wasn't close to upgraded rooms for temple, way too rare for her encounters and too much rng getting the upgrades I needed.

Sorry getting to this late, was laid up the last few days with the flu.

Last edited:

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, Cold Vortex Occultist. Yeah, it caught my eye, thanks!. I didn't want to do another Elementalist right away (I did consider Arc mines to reuse some of my gear and gems tho), but Brands in general looked strong as fuck since the beginning. The Impale skills looked very disappointing in comparison so maybe next xpac.

Time to do some research.

The CV Occ is what I killed uber elder with for the first time. Its pretty passive build of drop stuff and run away, but the dmg and surv are both pretty good. Weapon is a HUGE part of the build though. Expect to spend at least 7ex on just the weapon but its 1/3 of your overall dmg.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The CV Occ is what I killed uber elder with for the first time. Its pretty passive build of drop stuff and run away, but the dmg and surv are both pretty good. Weapon is a HUGE part of the build though. Expect to spend at least 7ex on just the weapon but its 1/3 of your overall dmg.
I should craft the weapon myself, right?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I should craft the weapon myself, right?
If you're lucky enough you can, sure. Gonna take a lot of fossils to try and get both minion dmg and full life dmg (if you're doing ES) and then lucky annuls for open affixes for multi mod. I ended up buying mine after making some decent ones but nothing great.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Was just trading some exalts for chaos, because the prices are still so absurd, and noticed there's a player (or bot probably) that has 75k chaos. At current prices, that's a little less than 3 mirrors worth of chaos. Why on Earth would you gather that much...?

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would work if you have the recipes. Would need to get a Temple of Az weapon with minion dmg 90+ then multimod it.
If you're lucky enough you can, sure. Gonna take a lot of fossils to try and get both minion dmg and full life dmg (if you're doing ES) and then lucky annuls for open affixes for multi mod. I ended up buying mine after making some decent ones but nothing great.
Yeah, I need to check what recipes I got.

I see. Well there's still time. Will probably end up buying it.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I did the same as Euler mentioned, or rather skipped the ones he mentioned.

For the Mastermind II, I just bought the completion. I tried 3x and I wasn't having it, lol. Finally found a really good runner who has a forum post on PoE's forum here if you want to look into it. You'll see a +1 from me in there from a few days back. The stashes were NOT going to happen for me, Research was way too rare and I was farming Intervention for a long time. Can also look to the guy I mentioned if you wanna get Uber Elder done although I could help ya with that too if you'd like, and I won't charge anything. And yeah wasn't close to upgraded rooms for temple, way too rare for her encounters and too much rng getting the upgrades I needed.

Sorry getting to this late, was laid up the last few days with the flu.
I appreciate the info, I hope you're feeling better. Flu this year has been brutal.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I appreciate the info, I hope you're feeling better. Flu this year has been brutal.
Thanks, I'm doing much better today. I was very close to going into the ER cause I was terribly dehydrated but got my dad who lives close to go buy 2 things of Gatorade and 2 of Pedialyte. Drank them all and still wasn't enough... it was nuts.

But if you need any help with Uber Elder or what not, I'll be on later today (Pacific Time) so hit me up whenever.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Soo... Path of Building.

Some of its calculations are not entierly clear to me.

The first thing is that Ignite DPS is listed below the total DPS. It's possible to raise Ignite DPS without the total DPS, so I guess that the Ignite DPS counts on top of the total DPS (makes me wonder why it is called 'Total DPS') and I have to add up both to have the real total DPS?

Then how it calculates brands. When I remove the skillpoint for Runebinder (1+ brand attached to an enemy, so 2 total) the damage doesn't change at all... does I have to assume that I do double my total DPS then to a single target?

On the other hand, if I remove a skillpoint for Runesmith (+1 brand up/30% more dmg to targets that have a brand attached/12% activation rate) the average hit doesn't change at all, but the total DPS does. Why is that? Sure, the total goes down because of the activation rate, but what is with the "30% addtional damage when a brand is attached" and average hit? Even if it would just raise non-brand damage, at least Ignite DPS should change.

Is there no way to see chance to shock/freeze/chill/etc? Or does it mean that I have 0 chance to shock if it doesn't show up at all? I already added some cold/lightning dmg to an item so see if it shows up. Ingame the tool tip says there is a chance to shock/freeze.

Generally I'm not 100% sure if PoB calculates for a single target or some extra mobs, but I think it it single target?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Soo... Path of Building.

Some of its calculations are not entierly clear to me.

The first thing is that Ignite DPS is listed below the total DPS. It's possible to raise Ignite DPS without the total DPS, so I guess that the Ignite DPS counts on top of the total DPS (makes me wonder why it is called 'Total DPS') and I have to add up both to have the real total DPS?

Then how it calculates brands. When I remove the skillpoint for Runebinder (1+ brand attached to an enemy, so 2 total) the damage doesn't change at all... does I have to assume that I do double my total DPS then to a single target?

On the other hand, if I remove a skillpoint for Runesmith (+1 brand up/30% more dmg to targets that have a brand attached/12% activation rate) the average hit doesn't change at all, but the total DPS does. Why is that? Sure, the total goes down because of the activation rate, but what is with the "30% addtional damage when a brand is attached" and average hit? Even if it would just raise non-brand damage, at least Ignite DPS should change.

Is there no way to see chance to shock/freeze/chill/etc? Or does it mean that I have 0 chance to shock if it doesn't show up at all? I already added some cold/lightning dmg to an item so see if it shows up. Ingame the tool tip says there is a chance to shock/freeze.

Generally I'm not 100% sure if PoB calculates for a single target or some extra mobs, but I think it it single target?
Total DPS is really just your hit DPS. Stuff like DoTs (damage over time), Ignite, Poison, Bleeds etc. which are not considered as hits are calculated separate from hits so your final DPS is TOTAL (Hit DPS) plus DOT DPS. You just add the two values together.

On Brand calculation, go to Configuration and on the top there is a "Skill Option" section. Click "Brand Skills: Is attached to an enemy" for accurate DPS calculation on single target.

On the Runesmith thing: Again, clicking the option above will give you higher hit and ignite damage. Think of Activation rate as "cast speed" for Brands. If you have higher activation rate, it will raise your DPS but won't increase your average hit.

Chance to shock/freeze/ignite is displayed in the Calcs menu at the bottom where it says: Other Effects. You can mouse over it to see where you get individual chances to shock/freeze/ignite. Just make sure the correct skill is selected on the top.

PoB is used to check boss DPS, not damage on multiple packs. That's why everyone checks the option "Is the enemy a boss?" and sets it to Shaper/Guardian because that's where your damage is most relevant. You are going to easily kill most mobs and bosses in the game with a decent build and if you are min maxing damage, you want to see how it performs versus something like Shaper. I think what you may be referring to is the Brand behavior and whether it is being attached on a single target or multiple targets. You just select the option and check to see how its performing against single target.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks.

On Brand calculation, go to Configuration and on the top there is a "Skill Option" section. Click "Brand Skills: Is attached to an enemy" for accurate DPS calculation on single target.

I think what you may be referring to is the Brand behavior and whether it is being attached on a single target or multiple targets. You just select the option and check to see how its performing against single target.

Yeah, I noticed that option in other builds (some doesn't even use brands) but every time I import my character it looks like this:

WTSC46F.jpg

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Set your profile to public so I can take a look in PoB.

It seems like it doesn't work on Armageddon Brand but works on Storm Brand. There is a work around you can do where you can add Storm Brand to your 6 link Armageddon Brand, check the option and then have Armageddon Brand showing in the tooltip.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Just hit my personal best... 97. Really had no desire of going beyond 95 but just doing everything this league has to offer made the progress go very fast and CI Vortex/Cold Snap is just too damn strong. I can't honestly see hitting 98 although I'm not quite done with this league yet...

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just hit my personal best... 97. Really had no desire of going beyond 95 but just doing everything this league has to offer made the progress go very fast and CI Vortex/Cold Snap is just too damn strong. I can't honestly see hitting 98 although I'm not quite done with this league yet...
You'll hit 98 if you want to burn some currency running pure breachstones. You can join them for 15-20c/run.

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I love love CI Vortex/Cold Snap. Just need to craft more ES on my 6 link coat. Have 9k ES right now and it's a real hoot out there

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm fine with 95. What's another 2 or 3 passives, the grind at that level is just not fun unless you've got an indestructible character.

Mine is naturally squishy so I'm not gunna worry about it.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
So Whispering Ice is a fun build with Winter Orb CwC Ice Storm. Super cheap to gear (6S Whispering Ice is ~10c if you don't care about rolls). No 6L required for clearing up to red tier maps (probably not required for anything else TBH). Since INT stacking is the thing to pump Ice Storm damage it made sense to go CI. Also since the staff is cheap it's fun to have two, use one for AOE and one for bossing. I started following this guide and have been tweaking it as I go to fit my playstyle. At level 70 I have all the notables and keystones I plan on getting. everything else is INT stacking, jewel sockets for more ES, and any nearby +ES nodes.

It's also got a neat defensive component if you plan your stat allocations well. INT > STR > DEX Cyclopean Coil means you can't be ignited or shocked, with the Occultist ascendancy you can't be frozen either, CI means no worries about poison. Meaning all you need on flasks are bleed and curse clearing leaving three sets of flask affixes for whatever you need or if you can afford it things like Dying Sun (more WO projectiles and AOE for Ice Storm). I feel like I need more cast speed or skill duration to keep WO up while mapping because having to stop to recharge it every ~6 seconds is kind of a drag. Really enjoying this build so far and I haven't hit the wall on it like I have with a few other builds I've tried this league.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"How are you maps exile?"
"I'm playing SSF, so how do you think they are Zana?"
"Are you going mad yet exile?"
"Yes, I bloody well may be, give me some damn maps FFS!"

So, the struggle to get maps in SSF is quite hard, any tips to getting more?, they don't seem to drop much, even with alching, chiselling and using sextants, are there certain maps that drop more maps than others?

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"How are you maps exile?"
"I'm playing SSF, so how do you think they are Zana?"
"Are you going mad yet exile?"
"Yes, I bloody well may be, give me some damn maps FFS!"

So, the struggle to get maps in SSF is quite hard, any tips to getting more?, they don't seem to drop much, even with alching, chiselling and using sextants, are there certain maps that drop more maps than others?
I completed 90% of my atlas as pseudo SSF this league, meaning I didn't buy until the very end when I got lazy, also without carto scarabs.
Play more I guess.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What tier are you at ?
It's not rare to run a T15 and get nothing, but sometimes get 4 good maps from one, high tier drops are not super reliable

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What tier are you at ?
It's not rare to run a T15 and get nothing, but sometimes get 4 good maps from one, high tier drops are not super reliable
T10, and really struggling to maintain a pool of yellow maps, I do Zana's mission, vendor 3 - 1 maps I've already completed, and buy anything decent she's got.
I alch any yellow maps I get and run them, but the droprate for maps just seems really mean!

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're running an ES character, which piece of gear would you choose (assuming all else equal) the one that gives you 10% more ES, or the one that gives you 10% more chaos reduction?

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you're running an ES character, which piece of gear would you choose (assuming all else equal) the one that gives you 10% more ES, or the one that gives you 10% more chaos reduction?

I would be playing CI q:

Depends on the amount of ES and chaos res I have. If I think I have enough ES, usually 10K, then the res.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I usually play as 50% life 50% ES, my goal is to have ~0% chaos res. Chaos resistance crafts have made it easier than normal this league.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be playing CI q:

Depends on the amount of ES and chaos res I have. If I think I have enough ES, usually 10K, then the res.

I haven't built for that, it's pretty much my first (proper) attempt at PoE so I have gone for something a little simpler.

I usually play as 50% life 50% ES, my goal is to have ~0% chaos res. Chaos resistance crafts have made it easier than normal this league.

Mine is about 66% ES 33% life, I think the ES gear is a better roll, and I could probably drop the small amount of ES/Life I mastercrafted on it in favour of Chaos res and make it better.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What class are you? If you are an Occultist you should go for Energy shield and Chaos Innoculation.

If not probably better to invest into Shavronnes Wrappings. Currently you will die quick to Chaos damage as Chaos damage by passes energy shield normally. Also give us your profile name and set your profile to public so we can view yiur character in PoB.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
Just got an Elder Prismatic ring from Delve with shitty mods, ... still sold it for 13 ex.
No more money issues for this league for me xD

Last edited:

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Random graphic missing DLL errors that have nothing to do with anything. They are never the same. I already checked the integrity of the game files and downloaded the newest drivers since this has been happening since yesterday.

This was happening to me. I had to fully reinstall to fix it.

Edit: Oh I guess it matters if you have the game from steam or from GGG's own client too. I use the dedicated launcher and not steam. I tried everything suggested to no avail so I just fully reinstalled.

Last edited:

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Before you re-install, go into the game folder and clear the shader cache(s).

There's also a PackCheck.exe in there that you can try, but I don't know if it would find anything the game file verification on Steam wouldn't.

And looking at your log file can't hurt.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
This was happening to me. I had to fully reinstall to fix it.

Edit: Oh I guess it matters if you have the game from steam or from GGG's own client too. I use the dedicated launcher and not steam. I tried everything suggested to no avail so I just fully reinstalled.
I'm going to try full reinstall and see what happens. Makes no sense but whatevs