• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've yet to synthesise anything decent yet, because you need 3 decent inputs, which can require a fair bit of currency to get there, and then you aren't guaranteed anything better than the 3 you put in, i don't like the way the implicits pull from all of the available mods, rather than the implicits on the 3 inputs.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
You can control it a fair bit with scouring and crafting specific mods. Still not something I'm going to be interacting with too much, have sold some fractured gear for a bit of value but to buy three bases, then craft all three, then synthesise and craft some more is way too much for me. Not to mention the need to trawl datamined information before you even start lmao.

Not that I'll ever put the time in to get there but I do like how the mechanic raises the ceiling for all builds. Give it another month or so and we'll start seeing less conventional builds deleting endgame content.

The nexus itself and all the lore is def. going core but makes me wonder if they plan to bring fractured items/synthesising with it. Only the 1% of the 1%'ers playing the game are engaging with the crafting, we're a month in and we're only just starting to see broken items like the above come through. Can't imagine what'd be like if we only see Cavas every 10 maps.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Synth is going to be the first league that would upset me if it went core in any form. I don't want it in the game at all at this point, even simplified.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I'm working from this build that was suggested to me. PoB link.

It mentions enlighten, but only if Wrath is added (which pushes the reservation up even further). It also mentions The Devouring Diadem but only as a nice to have as opposed to a requirement.

I took a screen grab of the passives as I don't have a Windows PC available to check the PoB passive tree outside of the game (at home anyway). I'll trace the image in game later to see if any of those nodes also reduce the reservation cost.

I did notice there's a skill I'll pick up later called Mind over Matter which will help a little with my defences as I'm not getting much gear with life at the moment.

I'm generally getting on fine (just hit act 7). Clearing maps is pretty simple but bosses and some harder mobs are making me work for my loots!
So all you need to do is to attach Herald of Thunder in your Helmet and just have Wrath or Zealotry/Discipline/Herald of Thunder/Enlighten LVL3 like the Path of Building suggests. This means that you need to get Warlords Mark (since you won't be using Herald of Thunder Cast on Damage Taken Warlords Mark) somewhere else and for that you can just buy a Ring with an explicit for Warlords Mark (it won't be cheap but it's SO worth it).

Then on the Gloves you can have Flame Dash/Faster Casting/Arcane Surge/Wave of Conviction. Wave of Conviction is pretty powerful because it applies a -25% debuff on the enemy.

You are only on act 7 so this is not much of a road block. As far as bosses go, my advice would be to get a single Decoy Totem and use it on bosses. Try to cut something to incorporate it in, it's very powerful against bosses.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Synth is going to be the first league that would upset me if it went core in any form. I don't want it in the game at all at this point, even simplified.
I don't see Synth NOT going core or rather going core eventually. There is a ton of crafting stuff in it that would be a big loss if they removed it. Honestly the league is much better now than it first started and with some tweaks it could be fine. The main issue is that the game is having a lot of feature creep with a ton of league mechanics and now it's getting too heavy.

They are probably going to be doing something like league rotations where every new league only has 10 returning leagues in it sort of like how Zana does it only on a global scale.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The implementation of crafting in this is terrible. Unidentified base items, no information available in game, prohibitively expensive for the majority of players. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth tbh

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They will probably tweak it more over time.

Synthesis is a good idea it just has to be refined. All of the mods from Betrayal and how broken that is for the majority of players is more pressing IMO.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It also doesn't help that a lot of em are bugged and keep showing up to be unveiled despite being maxed already.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Kind of a meta question: leagues reset everything, right? So is there like nothing that carries over to the next league? Is there no way for you as a player to "get better", so to speak, over the course of multiple leagues. Like, do you lose all your currencies to the reset?

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
The Synthesis crafting reminds me of very bad texts generated by IA after been fed with Trump's rally transcription.

The bosses are just are as bad as the crafting IMO. I don't know why we don't have let say a set of 10 bosses encounter at level 78 then another set at higher difficulty but with better reward? I will never see the boss of the league. I had the second boss fight of the league early today, half of the screen was the boss and the other was an area that applied damage over time ...and the mods :(

I really curious to see what they will do at the end of the, they can't add synthesis stuff on top of the other activities, they can't remove Delve or Betrayal after a disappointing league because peoples will riot ... hum Incursion

It also doesn't help that a lot of em are bugged and keep showing up to be unveiled despite being maxed already.

It's so stupid that I think that this is by design

Kind of a meta question: leagues reset everything, right? So is there like nothing that carries over to the next league? Is there no way for you as a player to "get better", so to speak, over the course of multiple leagues. Like, do you lose all your currencies to the reset?

Experience? You know more thing about the game, more efficient ...?

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about it, the only changes I really want to synthesis crafting is being able to select which base out of the 3. Being able to select the base will widen the general crafting pool and increase accessibility to the mechanic significantly.

I like to think they're working on making the necessary changes to Betrayal at the moment and will be making similar changes to Synthesis next league as it goes core. Both league mechanics are way too heavy as is to stand as a secondary mechanic, I suspect they've been setting all this up so that each expansion actually revisits these leagues and fleshes the lore out more as opposed to standalone league mechanics like we are used to. I'd potentially expect another mechanic heavy/lore focused league and then something like a mayhem/legacy league before 4.0 as they work to bring it altogether.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Synth has a good chance of becoming decent with a few changes, personally, I don't think it's half as bad as some people make out it is, but PoE, like Warframe, does seem to attract the "sky is falling in" crowd with every little change.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The nexus is fine if you remove the fucking decay mechanic or heavily rework it.
Synthesis crafting is just terrible. You shouldn't have to datamine a mechanic to start to grasp what it does. And then it's RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG. That's not what crafting should be.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The nexus is fine if you remove the fucking decay mechanic or heavily rework it.
Synthesis crafting is just terrible. You shouldn't have to datamine a mechanic to start to grasp what it does. And then it's RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG. That's not what crafting should be.
I think if they just limited the RNG to the implicit it would make things better (for a start), it would remove the need to scour craft prefixes and suffixes and you could just concentrate on crafting decent implicit and worry about the prefixes and suffixes after you've synth crafted.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Synthesis crafting is actually the least RNG mechanic in the game. The results are very deterministic. The RNG is only in acquiring the fracture mods but you can buy the mods.

And crafting has and always will be a combination of deterministic outcome and RNG.

Real issue in my mind is sorting through the Fractured items. If you actually try to engage with the mechanic solo self found then you are going to be doing a lot of IDing on the spot because no way are you going to be bringing all the tons of item drops back to your hideout. IMO the mod system should be more condensed as well as the tiers.

More transparency on Synthesis outcome would be nice too but I can see why they don't have the game on its launch league. They wanted the players to discover the outcomes for themselves, to experiment around and play with the system to keep themselves occupied. This of course backfires due to datamining.

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Synthesis crafting is actually the least RNG mechanic in the game. The results are very deterministic. The RNG is only in acquiring the fracture mods but you can buy the mods.

And crafting has and always will be a combination of deterministic outcome and RNG.

Real issue in my mind is sorting through the Fractured items. If you actually try to engage with the mechanic solo self found then you are going to be doing a lot of IDing on the spot because no way are you going to be bringing all the tons of item drops back to your hideout. IMO the mod system should be more condensed as well as the tiers.
It is, but to get to that deterministic stage you have to have already committed (a fair bit) of currency into those items, and you still have a chance to get something you don't actually want.

I get why they are pulling the implicits from both the items implicits AND prefixes and suffixes, but it just dilutes the mechanic too much for people who don't have a ton of time to commit to it, or are playing SSF.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The problem remains that even if they improve synth league, adding it to the core game further dilutes the end game stuff even more. It's already an insane grind to unlock the betrayal mastermind, and will be even harder when there's another mechanic taking up that spot in maps.

Combine that with the way the map system works and it just makes an already overloaded messy game more complex and tricky. There's no real way to focus in on the end game activity you want to enjoy, the map system is still too rng and frustrating. I'm expecting a big rework of that (plus the pantheon) in the big summer patch or 4.0.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem remains that even if they improve synth league, adding it to the core game further dilutes the end game stuff even more. It's already an insane grind to unlock the betrayal mastermind, and will be even harder when there's another mechanic taking up that spot in maps.

Combine that with the way the map system works and it just makes an already overloaded messy game more complex and tricky. There's no real way to focus in on the end game activity you want to enjoy, the map system is still too rng and frustrating. I'm expecting a big rework of that (plus the pantheon) in the big summer patch or 4.0.
I wonder if it's because GGG's vision (as seen in the video linked from GDC) is different from how (most?) people actually play the game, they say they have all these different mechanics to appeal to different people and different playstyles, as if people concentrate on only doing one or two things, but I think the reality is that (most) people try and play "everything" because they don't want to miss out on anything.
I wish the game was a little more streamlined, I want to play multiple facets of PoE, because they exist, but I simply don't have enough time to do so.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I think that vision would be fine *if* you can control what you focus on. But you can't, outside scarabs, and that's just not viable given how the betrayal mechanic works. Same with the map system - one per day, plus if you're lucky respawns, is way too hard to focus on.

The current system doesn't align with their vision, so I expect changes in the future.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I think that vision would be fine *if* you can control what you focus on. But you can't, outside scarabs, and that's just not viable given how the betrayal mechanic works. Same with the map system - one per day, plus if you're lucky respawns, is way too hard to focus on.

The current system doesn't align with their vision, so I expect changes in the future.
Yeah. The system is made so you can do a little of each. I would love if I could just focus on a single league mechanic if I want but it gets very expensive to do that.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. The system is made so you can do a little of each. I would love if I could just focus on a single league mechanic if I want but it gets very expensive to do that.

That makes me kinda sad, because this means if I don't see the "end-game" things of each league mechanic during main league, I will never see it again due to grinding required increasing significantly. It's much easier to reach Uber Elder than some of the league content.

Last edited:

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Yep - to this day I have no idea how the legendary beast work or how you find them. You have to play *so* much to achieve anything in a single endgame mechanic - and there's 5 of them competing for your time.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
So all you need to do is to attach Herald of Thunder in your Helmet and just have Wrath or Zealotry/Discipline/Herald of Thunder/Enlighten LVL3 like the Path of Building suggests. This means that you need to get Warlords Mark (since you won't be using Herald of Thunder Cast on Damage Taken Warlords Mark) somewhere else and for that you can just buy a Ring with an explicit for Warlords Mark (it won't be cheap but it's SO worth it).

Then on the Gloves you can have Flame Dash/Faster Casting/Arcane Surge/Wave of Conviction. Wave of Conviction is pretty powerful because it applies a -25% debuff on the enemy.

You are only on act 7 so this is not much of a road block. As far as bosses go, my advice would be to get a single Decoy Totem and use it on bosses. Try to cut something to incorporate it in, it's very powerful against bosses.
Thanks for this info! I also found another similar build so I'll see what I prefer and whether I can work the passive skills from my current starting point. My key concern is that I'm nowhere near experienced enough to really build a useful passive tree so I don't want to deviate much (if at all) from a tried and trusted build.

I'm levelling a witch as well for WInter Orb but I'm at the point where it's not all that fun as I level... but then I don't have WO yet (shadow was the same until I got Divine Ire to be fair).

GordonHalfman

Nov 18, 2017
Tarke had a suggestion regarding masters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqVebI2rjQg

Seems like it would be pretty simple to implement and would help a lot. They might not want people to be able to Delve that much since atm Delve would be by far the most common choice, but maybe they should just tone down Delve rewards a bit if that's the problem.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Tarke had a suggestion regarding masters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqVebI2rjQg

Seems like it would be pretty simple to implement and would help a lot. They might not want people to be able to Delve that much since atm Delve would be by far the most common choice, but maybe they should just tone down Delve rewards a bit if that's the problem.
Or bring other content up.

I hope this league teaches them to err on the side of making content too rewarding instead of the reverse.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely playing less this league than in previous ones. My main issue so far has been accessing content has been yet another RNG grind fest. I don't mind the item chase or even the veiled mod chase tbh. But not having a concrete path to get a Cortex fight or a Delve boss outside of "keep going and hope for the best" really sucks. The Mastermind is the same way just due to how hard it's been to get Jun to pop beyond her one per day. At least there I can work towards a boss fight. Decay sucks. I can deal with it as a fragment acquisition method but having to deal with it in the nexus especially on reward nodes really fucking sucks if you get a bad layout.

The update to nexus bosses inheriting their map mods is also kinda BS. It does make them harder which I think was needed but now if you get a bad draw in mods you're fucked. Similar to bad rolled Shaper Guardian maps it's rough and probably too rough. I'd rather they worked like elder guardians. Ignore IIQ/IIR and mods just make the fights more interesting.

I'm just assuming the Synth crafting was intended for the 1% players to keep them engaged and chasing the next OP thing. The problem is they made the system so complicated (from a get what you want perspective) that even the 1%'ers aren't interested in engaging with the mechanic in a meaningful way. If you need a website with a lookup table to decide if crafting is worth it then you already fucked up.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I started to dislike new daily system, because more often then not, i need to buy maps to do them, instead of just doing them.
Masters should give us a scarab like item that we put in any map we want to do a daily, instead of relying on RNG.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Forgive me if this is a dumb question I'm new, how badly do I need the stash tabs? Theres so much loot I can sell but repeat runs seem like too much effort for basic enjoyment. I'm not playing with a build or anything so I dont know how important Money is to the balance

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Forgive me if this is a dumb question I'm new, how badly do I need the stash tabs? Theres so much loot I can sell but repeat runs seem like too much effort for basic enjoyment. I'm not playing with a build or anything so I dont know how important Money is to the balance
Most of the loot you'll find is garbage. You probably won't need tabs until you reach maps, which unfortunately isn't all that likely if you're just starting out without a guide because it's incredibly easy to ruin your first (or twentieth) character. I ruined my first character, but the upside was that I learned a lot about what goes into making good choices and I didn't need stash tabs for a while :)

Sell anything that doesn't seem immediately useful. Look out for sockets, life and resistances on armor, movement speed on boots, and damage on weapons (spell damage, crit, cast speed if using spells). Sockets need to be linked if you want to support skills, so prioritize sockets on at least one piece of gear so you can run your main skill on a 4L.

Whenever you feel like dropping some cash, the first blood pack is a good deal for some "free" cosmetics. Wait for a stash tab sale (every 3 weeks or so) and grab a currency tab first, then at least one premium tab, and eventually a map tab.

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm pretty much getting one shotted now. I'm a level 52 ranger and on act 6. The boss(which I believe is at level 47) on top of the prison just annihilates me. Any tips on what I should be equipping or what skills can help me have better defense? It's the one thing I still can't wrap my head around.

I'd also be down to grind to level up or get a specific item.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imo, a currency tab is a must, its such a big QoL upgrade.

Deleted member 28474

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So I'm pretty much getting one shotted now. I'm a level 52 ranger and on act 6. The boss(which I believe is at level 47) on top of the prison just annihilates me. Any tips on what I should be equipping or what skills can help me have better defense? It's the one thing I still can't wrap my head around.

Check your resistances. Remember when you kill act 5 Kitava all your resistances are permenantly reduced by 30%.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017

After Act 5 you have a penalty to your elemental resists, and Act 6 is quick to capitalize on that with enemies with strong fire spells and a boss with strong lightning damage attacks. That is most likely what is causing you to take so much damage.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started to dislike new daily system, because
it's shit. The daily appears on a map you don't have, you run a gazillion for it to finally drop and that very moment the daily switches to a different map, guess what, which you also don't have. pos
Haven't seen the second lich ever (since bestiary), always amananamunununmumu feck, 90 chaluya splinters since bestiary, this lame shit can fuck off. I hope tencent will just make it a mobile gacha, that's what poe is now at its core anyway.

Deleted member 28474

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I didn't get a single Lich of any kind in the entire Betrayal league and fuck knows how many hundred hours I put into it.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I got 6 liches this league. 5 bubonic trails with 1 socket, 1 lightpoacher with 1 socket. Good stuff.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I got 6 liches this league. 5 bubonic trails with 1 socket, 1 lightpoacher with 1 socket. Good stuff.
It's almost like it's random........I'll get my coat.......

But yeah, the game is best when you're not looking for something specific, the unfortunate issue is the game tasks you with finding something specific from the RNG table far too often, I know there are ways to mitigate this somewhat, but currency to do so is very limited.

At it's roots its a full time streamers game I guess.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After Act 5 you have a penalty to your elemental resists, and Act 6 is quick to capitalize on that with enemies with strong fire spells and a boss with strong lightning damage attacks. That is most likely what is causing you to take so much damage.

Check your resistances. Remember when you kill act 5 Kitava all your resistances are permenantly reduced by 30%.

So I guess I look for armor with lightning and fire resistances? Are there any skill gems or specific armor pieces that are really good for that?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So I guess I look for armor with lightning and fire resistances? Are there any skill gems or specific armor pieces that are really good for that?
Skill gems won't help. Resistances can be found on any armor or jewelry item.

The easiest (cheapest) piece to get good life and resistances on is a belt, imo. Any armor will do. I shoot for 50+ life and 40+ res on everything until I don't need res, then I go for more life or damage (jewellery) or movement speed (boots).

Remember, though, sockets are king. It's better to have a mediocre 5L chest than a godly 4L, as you can make up for defenses with other gear.

If you're in a trade league, set an affordable max buyout (1 alch if you're buying leveling gear, 1c for beginner mapping gear (act 9+) and search for a minimum amount of life (50 if you're in act 5, but lower it if you don't find anything) and search for pseudo total elemental resistance. Sort your results by resistances and life, separately, to see what's available and buy whatever you need.

The real key to bargain hunting is checking what's available with and without an open craft so you can potentially create a much more valuable item. People list great items with open suffixes (or prefixes) and no craft for several c under their value.

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skill gems won't help. Resistances can be found on any armor or jewelry item.

The easiest (cheapest) piece to get good life and resistances on is a belt, imo. Any armor will do. I shoot for 50+ life and 40+ res on everything until I don't need res, then I go for more life or damage (jewellery) or movement speed (boots).

Remember, though, sockets are king. It's better to have a mediocre 5L chest than a godly 4L, as you can make up for defenses with other gear.

If you're in a trade league, set an affordable max buyout (1 alch if you're buying leveling gear, 1c for beginner mapping gear (act 9+) and search for a minimum amount of life (50 if you're in act 5, but lower it if you don't find anything) and search for pseudo total elemental resistance. Sort your results by resistances and life, separately, to see what's available and buy whatever you need.

The real key to bargain hunting is checking what's available with and without an open craft so you can potentially create a much more valuable item. People list great items with open suffixes (or prefixes) and no craft for several c under their value.
Is there a way to switch out entire armor sets(load outs) on PS4? Switching between armor sets/gems is tedious in this game.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I started a new build, Storm Brand did get pretty boring. Never tried a minion build before, or Spectres, and I wanted a new experience.

Doing Necromancer Cannibal Fire spectres.. holy hell is this build insane. Just fly around the map while they incinerate for you. Never been showered with EXP like this before.

Working on getting my HP up as it's pretty squishy so far (about 5.8k EHP), but man.. they just kill it all. Seems like it's more about playing smart and positioning, as you shouldn't need to take too much damage. Just worried about one shots from Syndicate encounters.

But can I ask a question..

Why the fuck is summoning spectres so convoluted. Why can't I just have a bank that I summon from, after reaching certain levels/types. Why can't I see what level my spectre is?

This is just basic shit that could be fixed quite easily. Just have a spectre bank or something, so you don't have to run around in various maps/get into high level areas/gem swapping/searching for the right one if they die.. just ridiculous.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Is there a way to switch out entire armor sets(load outs) on PS4? Switching between armor sets/gems is tedious in this game.
There aren't loadouts, but typically you won't be changing up your gear all that often once you're done leveling. Upgrades are few and far between, especially when you have to change your resistances around. That's why I recommend grabbing gear with open suffix crafts so you have more flexibility without needing to replace an entire set every time you get a good item.

I usually only focus on gear a few times while leveling (act 4, act 6, act 9) as those are moments where the game is particularly punishing for having low resistances.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just failed my first Uber Elder. I was not ready. T_T
I feel your pain. It's a lot to manage especially at first. What helped me:
Sound is key: Shaper calls out almost all of his attacks, be ready to GTFO when you hear him. The tentacle monsters that drop the decay patches have a weird squeak sound when they spawn, check corners to kill them ASAP.
Distance dramatically effects what attacks shaper and elder do. Stay close and you get a comparatively weak melee attack to deal with. At range you need to dodge Shaper Balls and Elder ice spears. On that note, both attacks hit super hard so stack effective HP and/or bring a sapphire flask.

During the add phases spam flasks. You don't actually need to kill everything ASAP. it's great if you can but surviving is more important. Usually a tentacle asshole will spawn in the mess and get a decay to drop. When they're both vulnerable focus on shaper. Unless Shaper is dead the fight won't end if you kill Elder. The nice(?) thing about the fight is shaper and elder don't get any attacks you've never seen before so the same plans work. Just keep in mind elder's GTFO ring takes about 7 seconds from when it starts before it goes pop. That means you have some time to maneuver before you must get to a space place.

Took me about 12-15 fragment sets (stopped counting after 10) to get my first kill but that kill was almost entirely deathless (whirled right into the elder ring as it popped).