• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
My problem is performance. I'm using ancient hardware currently that doesn't aid my efforts in the least. Long story short: my much more capable GPU died during the mining craze, and I am intent on waiting just a little longer for new kit.

I'll attempt it next league. Or break down and waste my remaining sets.

I ended up doing the latter. Took four sets in total. Damage held up, defenses did not, lol. 6.8k ES is not enough, eh? ;3
nn0GLS1.jpg

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow microtransactions are pretty expensive. $23 for a cat pet is too rich for me.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017

Nice to meet you, I'm SnappyColdavov. I think that Shugga is Sieyai ... and that's all.

We are currently planning to announce our 3.7.0 expansion between the 17th and 24th of May although we will give you a firmer indication of the timing as we get closer to the announcement. We'll go into more detail about its exact contents when we announce it, but can confirm that there is a significant balance focus on Melee and a League of a simpler scope than the last few. Our internal playtest version of the new league is much further along than leagues normally are at this point in the development cycle. We're hoping it'll be a new fan-favourite.

The current end date for the Synthesis League on PC is Tuesday June 4th at 10am NZDT. This may change as we get closer to it but we will let you know. Synthesis will end on console when the 3.7.0 league is launched.

Sure...

This and Wilson's GDC talk make me think that Synthesis had something like a week of development

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I finally defeated Uber Elder earlier today for the first time after several attempts and changing from two curses on my Bane six Link to just having Despair and putting more nodes into cast speed and a bit of projectile speed + damage for Soul Rend. I can't describe how intense the fight was.

I'd say after the many hours of playing Soul Rend I would say it's a very solid B-Tier skill. It has a lot of advantages over many other skills: it travels incredibly far, each projectile has the ability to seek out enemies in its path which makes it largely layout proof -- even thin doorways aren't much of a problem for Soul Rend. It is very strong and doesn't care about reflect maps.

But its downsides are enough that keep it from being a meta skill. For one thing you're not getting the actual displayed DoT DPS that PoB or the tooltip is telling you that you're getting, because the base duration is .4 seconds, not a full second. To achieve the true DPS you will need to have enough cast speed that the next projectile hits just as soon as the duration ends. I personally accomplished this by using Malevolence to extend Soulrend's DoT duration to .5 seconds and having at least 2 casts per second. Also, cast speed is very important anyway because it's a very slow casting spell.

When I was finally able to start using single target six-link gem sockets that let me swap out GMP for a damage support during bosses, I found that projectile speed (I just had the nodes in the shadow tree next to the Life/ES/Evade ones, but I'm sure projectile speed on gear works too) really helped make single target Soulrend more "accurate", because I think it actually affects how fast it turns as much as how fast it moves forward so for most boss fights and Uber Elder it really helped to have just a bit of projectile speed to make it easier to hit them. This is also part of the change I made that eventually got me the victory where having extra cast speed for better safety and just 5% more projectile speed made a huge difference.

Soul Rend is probably my favorite spell now, and I never really got tired of playing it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention another downside to Soulrend, and that it is very mana costly so I had to use two Essence Worms to be able to use both Malevolence and Discipline so that I could also have Clarity.

Last edited:

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Just did something really dumb; sold a T2 Life, T3 Armour together with T2 Cold (44%), T2 Lightning (44%) and T3 Fire(41%) Goliath Greaves for 30c; I really shouldn't be playing this so late.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The enemies, particularly the ones in memory voids, that shoot out white singular and fan type 'plasma' projectiles, what kind of damage are they doing?, they hit me really really hard, and I am trying to figure out a way to mitigate that damage, but not sure how too

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah it's just about the worst.

And it's been hugely improved lmao
How about.

After you find and summon a spectre at a certain level,

You get to keep it and select which spectre you want to raise. Make a gem for it, whatever. Spectre trapper support gem. Link it to summon spectre, select it from a drop down menu (ie cannibal fire eater, lvl 83), desecrate, summon.

Or if you really wanted to make it easier, just allow for it to happen in the spectre gem itself. Or if you wanted to put some kind of limit on it..

Make a Vaal Summon Spectre gem. Allows for drop down select, but the vaal ability resummons your current maximum spectres, specified as type and level. That way you do still have to manage their life/survivability, and you can only pop it about once per boss.

There are a number of ways to do it that don't require some bullshit "spend currency on spamming maps until you find one to summon, then gem swap, find a high level area, gem swap again" whatever. It's just fucking dumb.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
How about.

After you find and summon a spectre at a certain level,

You get to keep it and select which spectre you want to raise. Make a gem for it, whatever. Spectre trapper support gem. Link it to summon spectre, select it from a drop down menu (ie cannibal fire eater, lvl 83), desecrate, summon.

Or if you really wanted to make it easier, just allow for it to happen in the spectre gem itself. Or if you wanted to put some kind of limit on it..

Make a Vaal Summon Spectre gem. Allows for drop down select, but the vaal ability resummons your current maximum spectres, specified as type and level. That way you do still have to manage their life/survivability, and you can only pop it about once per boss.

There are a number of ways to do it that don't require some bullshit "spend currency on spamming maps until you find one to summon, then gem swap, find a high level area, gem swap again" whatever. It's just fucking dumb.
The idea of a spectre menagerie is pretty appealing. Let me pick my spectre, tie its level to spectre skill gem, no need to desecrate. Buff spectres to where a level 21 gem is shaper realm strong, balance for empower as an option but not a necessity. Give tooltips in menagerie for spectre skills and damage.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The idea of a spectre menagerie is pretty appealing. Let me pick my spectre, tie its level to spectre skill gem, no need to desecrate. Buff spectres to where a level 21 gem is shaper realm strong, balance for empower as an option but not a necessity. Give tooltips in menagerie for spectre skills and damage.
This has gotta be the best option.

I've played this game for over 3k hours, and switching to spectres was a big learning curve. Now imagine a newcomer who wants to play a summon build and having to explain to them (after no guidance whatsoever is provided in the game itself) how to even do damage with the build. If you're not attuned with the convoluted mess that is summoning and keeping spectres and a particular zone/gem level, you literally cannot progress.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are scarabs bugged or just useless? did 2 maps in a row 90+% quantity 30% pack size. Put in a scarab and 2 vaal fragments plus it had 3 sextants. both times I got 1 (yellow) map total for my troubles. This happened multiple times last league too.

I dunno why I bother anymore.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So are scarabs bugged or just useless? did 2 maps in a row 90+% quantity 30% pack size. Put in a scarab and 2 vaal fragments plus it had 3 sextants. both times I got 1 (yellow) map total for my troubles. This happened multiple times last league too.

I dunno why I bother anymore.
2x0=0

Sustain from running maps feels awful this league. Side content is mandatory. Bleh.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the end of act 6 and something is limiting my mana meter from filling completely up. Looks likes some kind of rock or ice thing that takes up space in the meter. What is that and how can I fix it or prevent it?

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the horizontal blue bar attached to the sphere.

R6oJnAx.png

OK, I've actually never played on console so bear with me here please. The red sphere is your HP, same as PC. The horizontal blue bar is your mana but in that pic above it looks already full to me (kinda went with a weirdly asymmetric design there). When it is reserved it should look something like this, with a stone-like pattern covering it:

capture6wka6.png

The yellow line on top of the mana bar is the XP meter.

But, what you are asking about is the crescent-like icy blue pattern on top of the HP sphere? That is your Energy Shield. https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Energy_shield

Or are you asking about something (an effect or visual pattern) at the edge of your mana bar preventing it from filling fully that I am missing for some reason?

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just got a random image online. It looks like what you posted. It's kinda of grey.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it is something reserving your mana like the image I posted then it's probably an aura. Maybe a Herald which is a buff that adds an elemental component to your attacks, or something like Clarity which provides mana regeneration. I imagine you got it as a quest reward and activated it. Check your skills for anything that says Mana Reserved and a %.

Unless you are running out of mana during your attacks, there is no harm to using one or more of them. It's a tradeoff and most effects are very useful.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
It actually shows the amout of reserved mana above the mana bar on the console versions, so it should be easy enough to identify if that's the case.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard of it happening.

I haven't had that happen to me but I've had a strange instance where the instance generation got confused and used unexplored mine paths and nodes to create a loop back to the node I started at. This let me explore the areas without spending sulphite but it wasn't actually that useful other than looking for fossils since it didn't allow me to collect the rewards or make further progress.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Starting a new character and I haven't touched any of the memory stuff yet. Aside from less items/XP (and I'm already struggling to stay low enough to be within range of the zones) I'm not really losing anything right?

I just hit 28 and I can finally see what Winters Orb is like. Assuming I enjoy it I'll then start to worry about other stuff.

Fractured wall maybe? I haven't actually found one yet so I couldn't say!

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Starting a new character and I haven't touched any of the memory stuff yet. Aside from less items/XP (and I'm already struggling to stay low enough to be within range of the zones) I'm not really losing anything right?

Memories provide, exp, items mostly. Memory bosses might have unique drops that only drop from those bosses. But you can buy these from the market. It's also possible to synthesise items in memories, but unless you are into item crafting you aren't losing much.

You aren't crippling your character by skipping memories. I'd do memories if you enjoyed playing them. If you hate/don't care, you can skip them.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Fractured wall maybe? I haven't actually found one yet so I couldn't say!
Not a fractured wall. Fractured walls are only found in rooms that the minecart can't get to (those rooms where enemies are in as you are travelling along with the minecart? Sometimes a room like that has a fractured wall when you go back and explore) or minecart paths that lead to reward nodes that have no path attached to them and you need to blow up a wall blocking the passage.

That seemed like a regular dirt wall and for some reason the minecart didn't stop at the destination point like it was supposed to and instead drove past it and through the wall.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, must the cart pathing must have shit the bed, hope it doesn't happen too often, the XP penalty at high levels is a real kick in the balls.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Memories provide, exp, items mostly. Memory bosses might have unique drops that only drop from those bosses. But you can buy these from the market. It's also possible to synthesise items in memories, but unless you are into item crafting you aren't losing much.

You aren't crippling your character by skipping memories. I'd do memories if you enjoyed playing them. If you hate/don't care, you can skip them.
I quite enjoyed it from what I've played on other characters and I'll definitely dive into them at some point, but it made sense this time around to wait until I had a build that was setup fairly decently to get the most out of them. I'm nearly at that point now.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions on how I should go about finding gear as I level? I have a build and I"m looking for gear with the right slots... but it's not really forthcoming!

Also, am I ok to attempt the first labyrinth of ascendency at level 31? Not sure if the monsters there scale to your level or not.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestions on how I should go about finding gear as I level? I have a build and I"m looking for gear with the right slots... but it's not really forthcoming!

Also, am I ok to attempt the first labyrinth of ascendency at level 31? Not sure if the monsters there scale to your level or not.
You've got two options, rely on gear dropping with the right slots and stats, or get a decent base and craft decent slots on it.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I dont normally bother with trying to get all the right slots as I level. It takes too much time. As long as your main activr skill is doing enough damage and working well and if you need to use defensive auras or whatever you should be fine. Dont waste chromatic orbs or binding orbs on temporary levelling gear unless you find something particularly nice that will carry you for ages or are using levelling uniques like goldrim/wanderlust etc.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm getting by. This time I've been careful to level some defence and resistances along with the offensive stats so that I'm a little less squishy when the resistances become important (just shy of level 40, start of act 5) and I've just added projectiles to winter orb which has helped a lot with clearing. I need to improve the damage and get some cast speed so that I'm spending less time charging WO.

I've also kept my level in line (or below) the monster level this time, which has trained me to be a little more careful than I was with the last character.

I think I'll do the first labyrinth tomorrow.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Calling it quits on this league. Wanted to try a winter orb trickster before it got nerfed to the ground, but I just don't find the league fun at all. Couldn't force myself to grind maps for the currency anymore. Base game is still great, but they really have to fix the bugs/performance. Whirling blades feels really terrible right now, and in the next league I'm only going to play movement speed builds. Going to just continue to practice speed leveling as I'm still having a lot of fun trying to beat my old times.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, the base game is very good. It's a shame that they shipped such an unpolished mess.

I want to go full meme, I looking for a build ... build around Fenumus set

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I found an inpulsa today, used one Divine and it rolled 79 life, 49 Inc damage, and 35 shock. Might pay me back for most of the Divine ire staff I bought.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ok so

Spectres are fucking broken lol. You literally just speed run without ever casting and your minions demolish everything. Incredibly fun build and you have to position yourself correctly so you don't get one shot since it's a little squishy. Boss positioning is key too.

It melts it all.. maybe my favorite build yet

Just sucks when they die lol.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My last three levels have been hovering over 300 million EXP, christ lol. I don't know how good that is but it's the highest I've ever experienced

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the next patch is going to have bigger changes to Melee than we are expecting. Even buffing the feel of combat at earlier levels with animation/speed changes for better feedback. Some accuracy/hit/miss changes are also planned. And they are FINALLY making Cyclone a Channeling spell...

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I can finally guide Cyclone with my mouse cursor?

Can't wait to resurrect my Starforge pure phys cyclone then!

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Ok so

Spectres are fucking broken lol. You literally just speed run without ever casting and your minions demolish everything. Incredibly fun build and you have to position yourself correctly so you don't get one shot since it's a little squishy. Boss positioning is key too.

It melts it all.. maybe my favorite build yet

Just sucks when they die lol.

Yepp! It's my go-to build. Capable of doing all content in game with relatively little investment. Higher-end bosses will require a lot of dodge skills and spacial awareness.

so you don't get one shot since it's a little squishy.

You get can 10k+ life/ES total with some gear investment. Then on top of that I've done (double) curse temp/enfeeble, discipline aura and fortify. Fortify comes from a skill like shield charge or flicker strike.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yepp! It's my go-to build. Capable of doing all content in game with relatively little investment. Higher-end bosses will require a lot of dodge skills and spacial awareness.

You get can 10k+ life/ES total with some gear investment. Then on top of that I've done (double) curse temp/enfeeble, discipline aura and fortify. Fortify comes from a skill like shield charge or flicker strike.
Thanks for the info! Do you have a pastebin link?

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
1K ES with 5.9k life isn't balanced very well. Given you're necro I'd look at bumping that ES all the way up and using spirit offering w/ that ascendancy node that lets offerings effect you as well.

You should be able to get up to 5-6k ES with pretty minimal investment at this point in the league.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Man caustic arrow is really strong but boring as hell to use. I want EXPLOSIONS. Probably going to shelve this character unless some heavy lifting content shows up (Uber elder/atziri/cortex/mastermind) for something with a bit more punch. I have Divine ire in a similar position but I want to try something new. Anyone have ideas for a decent skill (melee or spell) that has a satisfying boom?