• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last minute hesitating between almost-no-crit zerker vs crit slayer. Sigh. Doesn't help you can't really compare builds without gem data >:(
Think I'll end up settling on crit slayer. Gear doesn't seem super hard to get.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mathil league started builds. These are usually a good place to start if you don't know what to pick:

• Gladiator Lacerate/New skills (Mathil probably starts league with this)
  • Assassin Ice Nova
  • Cyclone Slayer
  • Viper Strike Pathfinder
  • Berserker Blade Flurry
edit---
Guides by other big streamers:
Ctrl+ F Champ
0 results.

Dissapointed!

GordonHalfman

Nov 18, 2017
How do "Strike" attacks work with things that have on hit effects, like Smite or Frost Blades? Do they spawn the AoE/Projectiles on everyone hit or just the first hit? Frost Blades being a strike with +21 range spawning proj on everyone seems like it would be daft.

Also, the new Mortal Conviction text "you can only have one non-banner aura on you from your skills" presumably means you can only have one aura active not that you can only have one aura that affects you right? Otherwise auras that only affect enemies like Pride or Blasphemy curses would be free which seems a bit good.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Still torn between ED/Contagion or Cyclone Slayer. Should probably go Cyclone because it'll be more fun playing with the new toys but I really don't want to end up struggling because I suck at gearing.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still torn between ED/Contagion or Cyclone Slayer. Should probably go Cyclone because it'll be more fun playing with the new toys but I really don't want to end up struggling because I suck at gearing.
I settled on a variant of mathil's cyclone slayer, you can craft most of it, don't hesitate to ask for help here.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How do "Strike" attacks work with things that have on hit effects, like Smite or Frost Blades? Do they spawn the AoE/Projectiles on everyone hit or just the first hit? Frost Blades being a strike with +21 range spawning proj on everyone seems like it would be daft.

Also, the new Mortal Conviction text "you can only have one non-banner aura on you from your skills" presumably means you can only have one aura active not that you can only have one aura that affects you right? Otherwise auras that only affect enemies like Pride or Blasphemy curses would be free which seems a bit good.
Frost Blades: Strike happens, projectiles appear behind the enemy. Enemy can't be hit by both the melee strike and the projectiles.

Smite: Strike happens and AOE appears. Target hit by Smite cant also be hiy by the AOE.

However, the projectiles spawn on what they hit. So if you do Multistrike against 3 different targets then 3 different projectile/AOE patterns appear.

But wait there is more! You can attach these skills to Ancestral Call and you can hit 3 targets simultaneously for a ton of overlap damage!

Ancestral Call plus Multistrike makes Frostblade among the best clearing melee skills. Combine with double Touch of Anguish for double chaining on projectiles and you will be dishing out big damagw. FB should be fun with new Berserker.

GordonHalfman

Nov 18, 2017
Frost Blades: Strike happens, projectiles appear behind the enemy. Enemy can't be hit by both the melee strike and the projectiles.

Smite: Strike happens and AOE appears. Target hit by Smite cant also be hiy by the AOE.

However, the projectiles spawn on what they hit. So if you do Multistrike against 3 different targets then 3 different projectile/AOE patterns appear.

But wait there is more! You can attach these skills to Ancestral Call and you can hit 3 targets simultaneously for a ton of overlap damage!

Ancestral Call plus Multistrike makes Frostblade among the best clearing melee skills. Combine with double Touch of Anguish for double chaining on projectiles and you will be dishing out big damagw. FB should be fun with new Berserker.

Ah ok, I think I get it now.

Thanks!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
All this data is making my head spin. So many unknown variables, especially with the new gems.
Unknown variables is the best state to be in. I dont want to go into a league with everything figured out and people know what's most optimum. Let's have that discovery phase together!

Also this is a good Slayer Cyclone build for Hardcore (8k life but still big DPS):

Ignore gem links and skills of course.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Unknown variables is the best state to be in. I dont want to go into a league with everything figured out and people know what's most optimum. Let's have that discovery phase together!

Also this is a good Slayer Cyclone build for Hardcore (8k life but still big DPS):

Ignore gem links and skills of course.
Oh no. I'm not complaining, this is the most exciting time for PoE in years!

Just wish I had a better idea of what builds are gonna be the best from the beginning haha. For sake of not having to reroll. But that's the price we pay for big changes!

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I hate how PoE's forums die when the servers go down. Feels like that's something they should have solved by now.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how PoE's forums die when the servers go down. Feels like that's something they should have solved by now.

It's always been pretty baffling that the site is basically tied with the servers. Wouldn't you want people to be able to check out your site while hype is high around the start of league?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you mean by the best.

*Champion is still going to be the best at shredding bosses with Blade Flurry and Dual Strike because he can abuse the Impale the most.

*Berserker is going to be the fastest attacking.

*Juggernaut is going to be the tankiest.

*Slayer is going to be balanced of crit, bossing and clear speed with huge aoe. Still has best leeching mechanic.

*Gladiator still best for bleed and block, with superior speed now. Still has juicy bleed explosions for clear speed fresh out of the gate (expect many racers to try to league start Gladiator).

*Chieftain still great for fire based skills, best for melee totems and very good for RF.

It depends more on personal playstyle to be honest. Most melee skills are good enough to be built around and beat almost all content with (just avoid stuff like Puncture and Viper Strike).

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
I assume this gets updated for consoles when the console client gets patched.
I don't play on consoles, but I assume this is the case.
With melee it's not that hard to gear. Most of the melee skill gems now have either added phys per level or added ele dmg per level. You still need to look for new upgrades as you level, but shouldn't be as crippling. For later game gearing you can always ask a question here or on the guild chat. Guild should be pretty active the first couple of weeks.

Edit: Patch is live. I just finished downloading and I''m ready for the launch. Just two and a half hours to go.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Seems impossible to select Slayer Ascendency nodes. Too many good ones to choose from.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No more time for guides or info now but if you are new to melee please look out for these items (if you get them piece competitively):

Haemophillia (Gloves, SUPER IN DEMAND)
Tombfists (Gloves, 2 sockets worth big)
Kaoms Roots (Boots, corrupt for gamble)
Xophs Heart/Blood (Amulet)
Any Tempered/Transcenent jewel (Incursion jewels)
Starkonjas Head (Helmet)
Devoto's Devotion (Helmet, SUPER IN DEMAND)
Belly of the Beast (chest)
Kaoms Heart (chest)
Daresso's Defiance (chest)
Carcass Jack (chest)
Kaoms Way prophecy (ring upgrade)
Steel Rings (with life, elemental damage with attacks, plus phys to attacks)
Nebulochs (1h Mace)
Top end PDPS Scaevas (1h sword)
Oro's Sacrifice/Terminus Est (two handed swords)
Lion's Roar (flask, HUGE DEMAND!)
Touch of Anguish (1 h Claws)
Any 1h weapon with over 250PDPS and increased crit chance and attack speed
Lioneyes Glare (bow)

Price of these items will be inflated start of league so don't get scammed. Later on they will normalize as there are more of them in economy.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Torn between going my standard Ranger with KB later moving to Tornado Shot or trying something new like ED/Contagion or this Cyclone dude I keep hearing about. It's scary to try a new class, I only ever figured out Ranger, everything else is unknown to me.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm assuming you cannot do the log out/log in town trick this early on in launch? You'll have to requeue? I haven't played at exactly league start yet

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No more time for guides or info now but if you are new to melee please look out for these items (if you get them piece competitively):

Haemophillia (Gloves, SUPER IN DEMAND)
Tombfists (Gloves, 2 sockets worth big)
Kaoms Roots (Boots, corrupt for gamble)
Xophs Heart/Blood (Amulet)
Any Tempered/Transcenent jewel (Incursion jewels)
Starkonjas Head (Helmet)
Devoto's Devotion (Helmet, SUPER IN DEMAND)
Belly of the Beast (chest)
Kaoms Heart (chest)
Daresso's Defiance (chest)
Carcass Jack (chest)
Kaoms Way prophecy (ring upgrade)
Steel Rings (with life, elemental damage with attacks, plus phys to attacks)
Nebulochs (1h Mace)
Top end PDPS Scaevas (1h sword)
Oro's Sacrifice/Terminus Est (two handed swords)
Lion's Roar (flask, HUGE DEMAND!)
Touch of Anguish (1 h Claws)
Any 1h weapon with over 250PDPS and increased crit chance and attack speed
Lioneyes Glare (bow)

Price of these items will be inflated start of league so don't get scammed. Later on they will normalize as there are more of them in economy.
Add 700%+ dmg Facebreakers to that list.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
ED Contagion Hybid League Start Guide from Havoc. These are just some of the main points for easy reference. Here's the pastebin for Havocs guide. It is excellent with all the information you will need for ED/Contagion. His notes section is particularly helpful and goes into much more detail than this post. Havoc is going CI which is easy to switch from the last tree he uses, but I'm going Dans hybrid. These aren't the only ways to go. You could also go life by taking the scion life wheel. I just prefer Dans hybrid build. It's great.

Tree Progression:
First 22 Points
37 Point Tree
53 Point Tree
69 Point Tree
89 Point Tree
95 Point Tree
Final Tree

Gems Early (3 Links)
Contagion - Faster Casting - Arcane Surge​
Essence Drain - Void Manipulation - Controlled Destruction​
Blight - Infused Channeling - Void Manipulation​
Flame Dash - Arcane Surge - Faster Casting (If you don't have 3 blues use Flame Dash - Faster Casting)​

Gems Mid (4 Links)
Contagion - Faster Casting - Intensify - Increased Area of Effect (If only 3 link drop Inc. AoE)​
Essence Drain - Void Manipulation - Controlled Destruction - Efficacy​
Blight - Infused Channeling - Void Manipulation - Efficacy​
Shield Charge - Faster Attacks - Fortify (Shield Charge now works with wands!)​
Gems Late (6 Link)
Essence Drain - Void Manipulation - Controlled Destruction - Efficacy - Swift Affliction - Energy Leach/Empower(If you have lvl 3 Empower)​

Leveling
Use Freeze pulse until level 4​
Use Blight and Contagion to level until 12​
Use a combination of Blight, ED, and Contagion for the rest of the game​
You can use Bane at lvl 24 instead to level if you prefer that. Bane - Despair - Efficacy - Void Manipulation​
Look for a 3 link wands colored BBG or BBB. BBG is the priority though.​
Use the chaos +1 recipe. Vendor blue wand + chaos gem to get a wand with +1 chaos. Great news shadow starts with two chaos gems. Don't sell viper strike or poison by accident. You need them for +1 recipe.​
Do the Den quest in Act 2 for 2nd Quicksilver​
Take the silver flask in Act 5 and spreading rot jewel also in Act 5 (put spreading rot in jewel slot)​

Ascendancy
Swift Killer - Ghost Dance - Escape Artist - Weave the Arcane​

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm looking at 3 Slayer Cyclone builds and not sure which to follow.

Mathil posted one that's a fair bit different than the other two. One-handed swords https://pastebin.com/cbQBS4Yf
Ahfack on the forum's for two-handed swords. https://pastebin.com/hyJz3n1E
And Dahbomb posted one the other day, also two-handed. https://pastebin.com/YVhYsK6d

Edit: Ziz posted one too: https://pastebin.com/vmQ4jMT4
I'm going with mathil's, it's well balanced and has nasty crit. It's a league starter so the double 1H makes sense, it should be easy to craft. You can probably re-spec into 2H for a dozen regrets. Just go starforge + kaom's when you're ready.
Add 700%+ dmg Facebreakers to that list.
Any values probably, I assume people won't shy away from throwing a couple divines on any bad FBs, so don't get scammed on facebreakers.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Honestly, I think my plan is to play it safe and build currency by doing TheFatOne's (Havoc's) guide above, then go melee after shit gets figured out.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm looking at 3 Slayer Cyclone builds and not sure which to follow.

Mathil posted one that's a fair bit different than the other two. One-handed swords https://pastebin.com/cbQBS4Yf
Ahfack on the forum's for two-handed swords. https://pastebin.com/hyJz3n1E
And Dahbomb posted one the other day, also two-handed. https://pastebin.com/YVhYsK6d

Edit: Ziz posted one too: https://pastebin.com/vmQ4jMT4
Cyclone is versatile enough to work with anything. Ahfacks version here uses Axe (Disfavour), Blashpemy Enfeeble instead of Pride aura, goes for Leech Ascendancy route, Resolute Technique over Crit.

It's all very similar numbers to be honest, his version is safer with superior leech, bleed/stun immunity but my version is faster, has bigger AOE and does more damage while retaining similar amount of HP. Even the routing is very similar, its all on the general same part of the tree with minor weapon node and leech differences. You can honestly try either of these and do minor specs based on weapon and playstyle preferences.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I think my plan is to play it safe and build currency by doing TheFatOne's (Havoc's) guide above, then go melee after shit gets figured out.
Use path of building and import that pastebin. His note section is really killer. Goes into full detail on pretty much everything you need to know. Gear, crafting, end game setups, etc. It's all there in the notes section. He even has different end game tree examples. A couple of CI ones and a couple of Hybrid ones.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Use path of building and import that pastebin. His note section is really killer. Goes into full detail on pretty much everything you need to know. Gear, crafting, end game setups, etc. It's all there in the notes section. He even has different end game tree examples. A couple of CI ones and a couple of Hybrid ones.
Thanks! Maybe I'll switch to CI later on.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
16K in queue for me

Hoping to get lucky again, I had great luck last league. Found some random unique jewel I assumed would be trash and sold it for 6 ex lol

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
This was me on PS4 (not my preferred platform). Did the first lab and found an Unnatural Instinct jewel.

That happened to me in Betrayal, was mapping and it dropped. I didn't know what it was so I looked it up and it was worth 14ex at the time. Never had that much currency before or after.