• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Temple of Atzoatl has been an interesting experience. I have no idea how all of it works, but kept doing the incursions or whatever, getting stones which opens the doors. Then I got the one where you go to the actual temple. Huge fucking map. Went through it all, cleared it, but the exit door is unaccessible. There's no open route to get to it. How is anyone supposed to know that there are doors that still need to be opened in the past incursions when the NPC sends us to the actual temple without any explanation that you won't be able to finish it? It took like a half hour to clear the map until finding out that I wasn't able to finish it.

The map layout is diabolical antagonistic, too.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Frost Blades Berserker and holy shit is this fun. Thanks Dahbomb for the suggestion.

Can anyone tell me how Rite of Ruin works in practice?

You cap out at 50 Rage meaning you lose up to 5% max life per second while hitting/being hit by things. Is this damage something you can mitigate outside of leech/regen? Similar to using physical damage reduction to manage Blood Rage's degen? In practice is Rite of Ruin's degen actually a problem? I'm waffling between taking this node and the Pain Reaver node. I know on paper Rite of Ruin is better but I'm not sure it's worth the risk in practice.

You'd mitigate it pretty easily with life leech and you can take the minor pantheon Ralakesh to reduce it by 25% while moving.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Temple of Atzoatl has been an interesting experience. I have no idea how all of it works, but kept doing the incursions or whatever, getting stones which opens the doors. Then I got the one where you go to the actual temple. Huge fucking map. Went through it all, cleared it, but the exit door is unaccessible. There's no open route to get to it. How is anyone supposed to know that there are doors that still need to be opened in the past incursions when the NPC sends us to the actual temple without any explanation that you won't be able to finish it? It took like a half hour to clear the map until finding out that I wasn't able to finish it.

The map layout is diabolical antagonistic, too.
When you speak to Alva and look at the layout of the temple you'll see that each room is connected, or can be connected, to the rooms adjacent to it. The idea of running those incursions is to create a path that allows you to access every room in the map while also upgrading as many of the rooms as possible (kill the marked enemies at the top/bottom of the map, just keep in mind that some of those will buff enemies/the temple too) before you run out of incursions (at the bottom of the temple diagram it tells you how many you have left).

It took me a couple of goes to get my head around it too, but it's pretty simple once you know.

Agreed on the temple layout, but again you can use your incursions to try and create a natural path without the need to double back (though I tend to just run each "tier" from one side to the next then move up). Of course it's also entirely possible you won't get stones even if you empty the incursion map and as far as I know there's nothing that you can do about that. :(

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Also rough; they like tripled rare health but kept the incursion timer the same, and stones of passage are almost always on the rares.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I think I underestimated how good the Inexorable nodes are. They always looked like a way to get Endurance Charges if you have no other way of generating them automatically, but when you have Unwaivering Stance you get hit often enough that you gain the charges quickly. It's like a CWDT damage reduction setup, almost.

Oct 29, 2017
Tried buying some lower level maps for Atlas completion. I don't even look at the lower priced ones anymore and it still takes me about 20 mins to get a seller to respond.

And about half the time I get buy requests they never respond. Stuff like offerings I can understand but rare gloves and belts? Like the bots are flipping out.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yup. Spent the last 45 min trying to buy a tempered flesh. Zero responses.

The whole trade site/ui? that needs to be in game. Just browse a list pick your item click buy boom done. none of this 3rd party/pm begging shit.

oh and now the game randomly disconnected yet again. jfc game I'm just siting in my hideout ffs.

Time to play something else then. Woudn't mind losing the odd map if red tier weren't so damn rare.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's fine, he just has more min max gear and stuff. The axe is insane for example and beats out a Slayer Overwhelm + Marohi Erqi. But that's not all, he even has the Timeless Jewel with the more crit chance keystone and hits cant be evaded. That is a big cornerstone of the build he is showcasing.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
yup. Spent the last 45 min trying to buy a tempered flesh. Zero responses.

The whole trade site/ui? that needs to be in game. Just browse a list pick your item click buy boom done. none of this 3rd party/pm begging shit.

oh and now the game randomly disconnected yet again. jfc game I'm just siting in my hideout ffs.

Time to play something else then. Woudn't mind losing the odd map if red tier weren't so damn rare.

I absolutely agree that the trading system is terrible. But at the same time putting in game will make the game worse. That was the lesson of D3 and the Auction house.

Make trading too easy and simple, and trading becomes the game. Without barriers to entry, everyone ends up participating in the market and at that point it's not really a loot game anymore but an auction house game. There needs to be some barriers to entry for trading otherwise the market becomes too efficient and bad things happen.

Map trading and bulk currency exchange on the other hand - that absolutely can be in game, and should be. That or preventing people from putting more than one map per tier up for sale so they don't flood the lists and yet never respond.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's fine, he just has more min max gear and stuff. The axe is insane for example and beats out a Slayer Overwhelm + Marohi Erqi. But that's not all, he even has the Timeless Jewel with the more crit chance keystone and hits cant be evaded. That is a big cornerstone of the build he is showcasing.

Would Slayer be cheaper on the gear? I have a few exalts but I'm always too gunshy about spending them on anything. Even a 6L Marohi Eqri is 5.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to go Crit then yeah Slayer is cheaper. Also bigger AOE.

Trade is a fairly touchy topic on all spectrum. I can see GGG's argument of making trade too easy would make doing stuff like flipping and sniping easier. It would them become too cost effective to spend time flipping vs playing.

But at the same time the system shouldnt be this bad. I shouldn't be getting whispers for something I sold two hours ago. Private indexers shouldnt be a thing where they can be sold for advantage in item acquisition. Botting for trading items shouldnt be better than doing trades yourself. It shouldn't be this difficult trying to trade a few Alchs for Chaos and site should be updated quicker to actually reflect items sold (goes into issue 1 actually, it's frustrating for seller and buyer).

There is probably a middle ground that exists between the console trading and the PC trading where trading is just right. IMO the transaction itself should be smooth like the ps4 but you shouldn't also have to sift through tons of garbage to get what you want.

And the D3 issue was more about real money transactions. Other games have survived just fine with standard auction houses. Real money auction was probably the worst thing you can add to these type of games.

Last edited:

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree on the real money auction house being the real problem. It had its own issues absolutely, but it didn't affect the core gameplay design and experience like the normal auction house did. It was a sub-set of the wider issues caused by the auction house itself.

And I can't think of a single loot based game that has an in game auction house like Diablo 3 had. It was the most easy to use and accessible I've ever encountered - which was the problem.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sorry I agree with ^ This a loot game where you need to trade to get loot. I never used D3's trade/auction house and did all the content just fine. Once you hit red maps this game grinds to a halt. D3's problems were everything to do with the horrid story/art style and being casualised af. Drops got much better after they closed the house and made shit easier to get by just playing instead of pushing the RM house. With POE everyone just uses the market so GGG never has to address the drop/rng issues.

I have never understood the need for 'the economy' or whatever ppl always bring up. This isn't like warframe where you can get plat from trade and you can kinda defend need to keep 'balance or the economy' so who cares if it's easier to get the stuff we need? I want to play as a badass exile not a stock broker. What is the horrible end game being eluded to here? How can something be 'too efficient'? I really don't understand why it's expected that we have to do all this extracurricular stuff, all these 3rd party things to enjoy the actual game part.

If drops weren't so rare/rng or the currencies for crafting etc ppl could experiment more and enjoy these sytsems. It's bizarre to have so much depth and not have most of the players ever get to the point where they can even use these systems. I have almost 1500hrs and maybe 20 orbs of annulment/exhaluted orbs etc. and yet you need dozens of them to make a good craft for ONE item. There are still several meta uniques I've never seen. Even more common good ones like the Belly I've only gotten from prophecies (which are also stupidly rare for the good ones). I dunno why ppl just accept the need to sluff off a bunch of things you don't need, to sell on the market to get what you want. Isn't that dull? Why can't you get them in game enough on our own? I've seen tons of complaints about ppl not repying to offers, gettign ripped off etc Again with warframe you can spend plat on everything but in this it's just cosmetics. So why make everything so rare?

Like the only thing I can think of is if ppl have some stake in the market or don't want other to have the good stuff, or some notion of ppl not 'earning' their drops but then no one does if they use the market but that logic. I get GGG want to keep player retention up and artificially extending play time is an obvious way but there's no way to buy gear with real moeny and their MTX are frankly way too expensive to blind buy so I dunno what the point of it is. You can't end the grind by paying. I dunno maybe these kind of games are just not for me anymore. I hate losing all my stuff every league, starting from scratch. There is so much content in the game now from all the previous leagues going core that it just adds hundreds of hrs of tedium to get back up where you were. I wish we could customize the atlas more too. Most of the red tier maps always have terrible layouts and aren't fun. I'm also not a fan of all the 1 shot mechanics esp when the engine can't handle it like so many times this league. I'm afraid to run maps/delve cuz I might lose them and I only have 1 of this map etc. One thing I liked that D3 did was always give you at least one rift key (or whatever they were called) so you would never be stuck treading water. I always run out of t11-14 maps and end up jumping up and down from t8-13 trying to get more.

Wow this got ranty lol

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
The trade system is trash but saying you NEED to trade to succeed is crazy when there's an entire separate mode called Solo Self Found where people clear the content.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
eh not a lot of people have the patience for SSF though, you can put together a build that doesn't rely too heavily on items but the game is still largely designed around having trade at it's focus. If they were serious about making SSF relevant to more people they'd make it easier to farm div cards and remove the gating of crafts behind betrayal content.

I think the idea of success in the game is fairly warped though, streamers essentially play a different game to most and they're the ones who get the most exposure. People tend to forget that they play for 8-12+ hours a day as well.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Just want to say as someone who enjoys many arpg type games I think the POE loot drops, currency orbs and even the trade system are good-perfect.

I love that even a white item can be valuable in this game (ilvl 86, 5-6 linked, just a good base.) That was a part of Diablo 2 crafting and why I liked it compared to other games in the genre at the time. *Perfect

Most of the currency orbs are super helpful and if you're trying to make your own gear you will use the majority of these orbs. Whoever thought of this system basically as a replacement for gold, is a genius. *Perfect

The trade system isn't super great but I would call it good. Honestly my true problem with it is that I have to alt tab to go to poe.trade to check shit. There should be a system in the game (sort of like trading in the consoles.) *Good

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
With the introduction of Horizon Orbs as a regular drop (and they're quite common too), there technically isn't any reason to trade anymore if you don't want to.

The thing with Path of Exile is that you can actually get away with what is considered subpar gear for most of the game. A 5 link can play any map, there are uniques that can be used to help you until you get well crafted gear, you can take elemental resistances on the passive tree if you need to.

The trick is that you can adjust the game's difficulty to your build instead of the other way around. If your gear isn't good, don't throw an Alchemy Orb on a map and play it with several damage mods and Beyond. Use a Transmutation Orb, reroll bad results, and if you have them use a Regal Orb to add a bit of extra value to them and you can more safely get progress on the Atlas. In Delve, once you get to around 100 Depth or so, stop going further and instead just look for fossils and resonators that can help you make decent gear. Most importantly, don't feel like you HAVE to be in T15 maps. Your T11-15 map pool develops naturally over time. If you only have your T12s or 13s, then play those.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
If you don't get too obsessed with getting the cheapest possible price, you can get almost any item within 5 whispers. Here are my tips for making trading a more pleasant experience:

The more demand an item has, the more useless the first few pages of sellers are. Don't even bother with first 100 exalt sellers. They will never answer. Recently when buying a Tabula Rasa, I went straight to average price shown by poe.ninja/trade macro (13c) and I got my Tabula on second whisper. Cheapest Tabulas listed were 11c at that time and I doubt many of those sellers would have answered. Going for market average priced items is a good tactic if you have trouble finding sellers that actually sell items.

The more you buy at once, the more likely the seller is to answer. Buying 1 white map for 1 chisel is not going to make friends. Bulk buying maps in 40c+ packages? People are way more likely to answer. This also applies to currency trades. 1c trades vs 100c trades have different reply ratios.

When currency trading, if you manage to find a trading bot/"PoE day trader" (INSTANT answers, empty default hideout, etc), make a note of its name and you can whisper it during other currency trades for a 100% guaranteed answer.

Only bother with AFK players if the item you want is rare (extremely high value unique for example).

When selling items, only put your item as cheapest on the market if it's a low volume item like a jewel or a rare item. Otherwise put it somewhere halfway between cheapest on market and average market price. For example, being the cheapest Tabula seller on market is just asking for an hour long wall of spam.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Started an Oni Goroshi trickster tonight. Not sure if I will go 2 Oni with a Kaoms Heart or 1 Oni and a normal chest. I just love Oni Goroshi so much. There is a bit of time or currency investment but when you build around it right it is so rewarding and does insane damage. Might be my favorite unique in the game but I dunno.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Started an Oni Goroshi trickster tonight. Not sure if I will go 2 Oni with a Kaoms Heart or 1 Oni and a normal chest. I just love Oni Goroshi so much. There is a bit of time or currency investment but when you build around it right it is so rewarding and does insane damage. Might be my favorite unique in the game but I dunno.

Right before Legion dropped I bought an Oni on standard to try it out. Man, I had a blast with it. The voicelines were super entertaining.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Mapping T9/10 with less than 4K health. This is going to bite me on the ass soon enough!

EDIT: If I have the V version of a prophecy active would that stop me from using the earlier versions of that prophecy? Only reason I can think why it's not letting me use them.

Last edited:

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've just found my best item ever, it's worth about 1ex.

arlN8M6.jpg

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Grats! It exploded in price with the melee buff this patch.

I haven't played in like 4 seasons, but with the big melee buff I thought it was time. The game is definitely in a better place now. Hell, I was a beta tester so I remember when you'd level by spending your entire life in the Docks lol.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Take the helm and try and get a melee skill enchant from uber lab. Friend sold one with Cyclone dmg on it for 10ex

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played in like 4 seasons, but with the big melee buff I thought it was time. The game is definitely in a better place now. Hell, I was a beta tester so I remember when you'd level by spending your entire life in the Docks lol.
Docks leveling when Spectral Throw was like meta lol. Man those were the days plus Kripp being like top tier player.

I don't really miss them to be honest. Game is far more fun these days.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Older PoE had its own bull shit. Corrupted blood unseeable deaths, worse Vaal DD deaths, random reflect mobs, deyncs, projectile shotguns, goat slams and pre lock step era. The bull shit has simply with replaced with different bull shit.

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I may just have had more patience for it then. It also helped a lot that there wasn't as much to do. Didn't make it far into maps? Whatever, make another character.

Now there's a dozen bosses and multiple end game mechanics branching off-of mapping. If you die early currently, it feels like you barely saw anything.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, old PoE played terribly. That's the biggest thing that's changed over time - the game feels so much more responsive. It honestly feels at the same levels of D3 now, which is something I never thought would happen. I couldn't ever go back to that.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
The difference between old PoE and new PoE is that most of what will kill you is on the screen you're currently looking at.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Infernal blow is more satisfying than Gladiator bleed explosion.

I tried some aRPG back in 2013 and POE was the worst of the bunch. D3 and Torchlight were noob friendly and colourful so I played those instead :)
But I'm glad that I regularly came back to POE

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I get where people are coming from with the trading/auction house stuff. My main complaint is more about the people than the systems. I wish more people would list things for what they actually want to sell it for. I wish the game had a better way to reply "item sold" so you don't get a dozen whispers after you already sold the item. I wish the game would let you sell things without interrupting your play (Mid-delve or Lab WTB requests for example) or at the very least set up a trade Do Not Disturb that ticks on when in one of those areas. I wish I could access the official trade sit from within the game.

The actual finding, whispering, and trading isn't much of a problem for me it's all the other things surrounding it that makes it a pain to use.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Back today, after two weeks. Can't wait to jump back in! Debating on whether or not to continue with my essence drain build for a while or just start melee from scratch. I've got 6 ex saved and like 300 chaos.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
so looking on the trade sites, i think this may be one of the more expensive drops I've gotten, but the reduced item quantity stat is literally the second worst it could possibly be

not sure how much that tanks the value

qVzAu7V.png

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
so looking on the trade sites, i think this may be one of the more expensive drops I've gotten, but the reduced item quantity stat is literally the second worst it could possibly be

not sure how much that tanks the value

qVzAu7V.png

Basically the only reason to use a ventnor is for the increased quantity, so i'd say regardless of res its a bad ventnor, and should either be divined / sold for low (still looks like 70c-85c on softcore legion)

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to make an elder serrated chest on a whim
Bought a ilv86 for 15c
Bought a few perfect fossils
First fossil hits 30% quality
Spend 200 jewellers getting 6 sockets
Craft 18% quality on it
Only got 55 fuses but to hell with it
Actually hit the 6L in 33 fuses