• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As a new player, should I be worried about using the various orbs to improve my gear? I'm trying to follow one of the build guides but it requires a 4-link item for one of my skills at this point but I either don't have the right links or I don't have the right colors. Should I just keep trashing this gear until the right thing drops, or worry about crafting?

Also, I'm wondering how power creep plays a part in PoE and its expansions. How do they keep the game interesting after you've beaten the campaign and gotten a character to, say, Lv. 90-95? I guess you can just start over with a new build, but you're ultimately still just playing the same game again. Is there some kind of raiding component (e.g. WoW) at all, or something else that encourages you to stick with a character after you've maxed the level? If not, where does the longevity come from?
4 links start to drop very commonly later on in the campaign. I use the occasional Alchemy Orb, Chrome, Jeweler, Fusing, and blue/magic currencies but nothing beyond this as they are valuable or not worth using this early. I also use Essences as pseudo alchemy orbs. Make sure you have the Neveesink Filter though, otherwise you will be missing out.

GGG keeps things fresh by having new leagues every 3 months which is like a full reset and everyone starts over fresh. There are new mechanics, items and content in the new league and the economy is the liveliest at that point (too lively at some points). Thisis what keeps getting people back leveling your character beyond lvl95 is tedious and not really needed, you can beat everything in the game well before that.

Power creep is definitely a factor though as GGG has to introduce shiny new items for players to chase after. The main power creep has been the rate at which players clear content and acquire money, allowing them to surpass the content faster than before. I dont know about others but for me this was the fastest I killed Uber Elder in a league. And it feels I am getting faster and faster every league and its not jusr my personal skill or knowledge (maybe that is too) getting better but the game having more tools available for players to take advantage of.

That said the most powerful and sought after item in the game is many years old. So old stuff doesn't always lose its value.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
Reading my build guide for Toxic Rain and it suggests using Silverbranch until I get Quill Harp or Death's Raid.

For gloves it says I should use Locthonial Caress until Lv. 50, and then switch to The Embalmer.

But how do I get these specific Unique Items in the first place?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Reading my build guide for Toxic Rain and it suggests using Silverbranch until I get Quill Harp or Death's Raid.

For gloves it says I should use Locthonial Caress until Lv. 50, and then switch to The Embalmer.

But how do I get these specific Unique Items in the first place?
As long as you're in a trade league, trade for them. They're not rare or expensive.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Buying is simple but to sell your items you need to either use a trade API (not recommended) or buy a Premium Stash tab which allows you to sell its within that tab. Luckily they have a sale on stash tabs going on right now.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what to try next don't want to cyclone. Almost 92 with ED build and probably won't do much more with it. Wanted to do a max block face breaker but I think Legion mechanic blows with it :(

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The 5 legion timeless conflict is no fucking joke, god damn.

I'm just happy I have finally done uber Atziri. Ran The Pale Court with my brother tonight too which is always fun.

Has been a pretty great league for me.

I'm loving my Frost blades/Blade Flurry Oni-Goroshi trickster, but Blade Flurry still feels busted enough to be annoying so I'm either gonna tweak it or maybe try another Oni-Goroshi build because I love it so much.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That feel when you theory craft just the right build... And it turns out it was already featured build by major YT content creators..

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
That feel when you theory craft just the right build... And it turns out it was already featured build by major YT content creators..
6yB3QZa.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So

I realized that what I've been doing with my life is not playing a Trickster Toxic Rain build. This shit is stupid strong and my deaths are rare, and I've only got 5k EHP, doing T15. T16 is a little dicey at the moment but as soon as my EHP is closer to 7k I think I'll be farming deathless pretty efficiently soon, maybe aside from some insane one shots from legion events. Only have like 6ex invested and I'm at about 2M shaper DPS, working my way up to Uber Elder.
New player here: is rain of arrows build worth doing ?
Toxic Rain has been the best build I've ever played and it's not even close (for the performance, budget, content viability, survivability, good clear speed). I've only been playing for about 2 days.
mens-quote_direct-maketing-i-thought-of-that-it-turned-out-it-already-existed-but-i-arrived-at-it-independently-pete-cambell-b1927.jpg

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For a budget its hard to compete against dual Nebuloch Conc Path Jugg. Kaom's Way and Nebulochs are super cheap right now, and you can get a 6 link chest for under 50C (thats actually usable). Has ok clear and damage but absolutely absurd survivability. And you can pair it up with a Divine Flesh Vaal timeless jewel for even more unkillable status.

There are so many powerful uniques and combinations in the game right now. If you aren't following one of the 5 or so "meta" builds you can do very well on a budget. Right now I feel like the biggest hang up people are having is that they feel bad if they can't instantly full clear a Legion monolith and also survive the follow up. Usually you can achieve one and sacrifice the other but builds that can do both like Cyclone and ED really stand out.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I just found out that opening a safehouse but deciding not to enter it will count as completing it anyway. I decided not to risk having a character not part of any role become safehouse leader (especially in this case, Fortification, which won't always show up) but the game decided to do just that anyway. I feel like I just added countless hours of progress needed to get Vagan to drop veiled items with Hits Can't Be Evaded.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now I feel like the biggest hang up people are having is that they feel bad if they can't instantly full clear a Legion monolith and also survive the follow up. Usually you can achieve one and sacrifice the other but builds that can do both like Cyclone and ED really stand out.
Even with cyclone it's hard to pop the entire monolith in high tier maps
Most layouts make monoliths just a fucking pain

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I've given up on popping every single mob, instead I focus on popping all rewards. THAT I can accomplish with relative ease, depending on map layout of course. Perfect time to pop quicksilver flasks and flasks with +movement speed during flask effect. Plus fast movement skill helps also.

Run as fast as you can in a direction after you trigger a monolith, chances are you start at one edge of an army when they spawn. Then you just need to pop rewards there and run fast to other end popping anything you see on the way.

No use to pop lethal legion rares that have no rewards just for the sake of popping them. There's a small chance they drop an extra splinter but time is better spent towards popping guaranteed rewards.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Reworked my Deadeye Voidfletcher build a bit. Still only on 4.3K life at 86 but way, way tankier compared to before. Using cold Barrage for single target and chain ice shot for multi. With Hyrri's Ire it just does huge, huge damage over a large area. I can't *quite* clear out entire monoliths but I'm not far off really..

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
For a budget its hard to compete against dual Nebuloch Conc Path Jugg. Kaom's Way and Nebulochs are super cheap right now, and you can get a 6 link chest for under 50C (thats actually usable). Has ok clear and damage but absolutely absurd survivability. And you can pair it up with a Divine Flesh Vaal timeless jewel for even more unkillable status.

There are so many powerful uniques and combinations in the game right now. If you aren't following one of the 5 or so "meta" builds you can do very well on a budget. Right now I feel like the biggest hang up people are having is that they feel bad if they can't instantly full clear a Legion monolith and also survive the follow up. Usually you can achieve one and sacrifice the other but builds that can do both like Cyclone and ED really stand out.
How well does it handle delving? it's the main thing that's kept me from Flicker-like builds in the past.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Have you posted that build before? Looking on poebuilds and I'm not seeing a Conc Path Jugg.
A couple of youtubers have done videos on it:

However, the one I was making was built around the new Timeless Jewel Keystone Divine Flesh, stacking more Chaos resistances and such with a ton of physical mitigation and additional armour.

This is my build (the jewel socket above the Marauder starting point is supposed to be the location of the Divine Flesh):

Essentially I exploit the fact that with Endurance Charges I can get a ton of Chaos Resistances combined with Nebulochs (120% just from weapons, ascendancy and having maximum endurance charges enchant on Kaom's Roots). So I combine it with Divine Flesh so that I have over 85% chaos resistance and same for the elemental resistances at half value. I probably don't need Soul of Steel anymore to be honest, I can spec those out for more damage if I need to.

I am using all unique flasks for the following reason: Kaom's Roots means I won't really get frozen or chilled to below base speed. I have Crustacean's Carapace for bleed immunity.

Crustacean's Carapace also gives a crap ton of Armour when combined with Unbreakable ascendancy node and I am using Vaal Molten Shell on the build for huge survivability. And I am also using Aspect of the Crab for further physical mitigation which I already have a ton of. For more damage I could sub out this chest for a Loreweave (and probably spec out of Soul of Steel as well then) and then get a Staunching Life Flash plus drop Aspect of the Crab aura for another aura.

I can get around 500K-600k Shaper DPS on this build, though realistically it will be doing less damage than that on average.

My version is fairly expensive though and close to being min and maxed but this is the build I plan to take to deep delves or to lvl100 some day.

The main con is that you are very vulnerable if you don't have endurance charges up. I will be using the Gluttony belt before loading boss screen encounters.

Last edited:

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
A couple of youtubers have done videos on it:

However, the one I was making was built around the new Timeless Jewel Keystone Divine Flesh, stacking more Chaos resistances and such with a ton of physical mitigation and additional armour.

This is my build (the jewel socket above the Marauder starting point is supposed to be the location of the Divine Flesh):

Essentially I exploit the fact that with Endurance Charges I can get a ton of Chaos Resistances combined with Nebulochs (120% just from weapons, ascendancy and having maximum endurance charges enchant on Kaom's Roots). So I combine it with Divine Flesh so that I have over 85% chaos resistance and same for the elemental resistances at half value. I probably don't need Soul of Steel anymore to be honest, I can spec those out for more damage if I need to.

I am using all unique flasks for the following reason: Kaom's Roots means I won't really get frozen or chilled to below base speed. I have Crustacean's Carapace for bleed immunity.

Crustacean's Carapace also gives a crap ton of Armour when combined with Unbreakable ascendancy node and I am using Vaal Molten Shell on the build for huge survivability. And I am also using Aspect of the Crab for further physical mitigation which I already have a ton of. For more damage I could sub out this chest for a Loreweave (and probably spec out of Soul of Steel as well then) and then get a Staunching Life Flash plus drop Aspect of the Crab aura for another aura.

I can get around 500K-600k Shaper DPS on this build, though realistically it will be doing less damage than that on average.

My version is fairly expensive though and close to being min and maxed but this is the build I plan to take to deep delves or to lvl100 some day.

The main con is that you are very vulnerable if you don't have endurance charges up. I will be using the Gluttony belt before loading boss screen encounters.

Awesome, thanks. I forgot EE had made a guide for it but I had been just looking for newer ones from Legion. I'll have to look in to it. I've been frustrated this league with my characters, they've all been squishier than I'd like.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming Avatar of Fire is worth getting before using Xoph's Blood? I can afford one so I figure if I'm enjoying the character I'll pick one up.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you get Avatar of Fire before getting Xoph's Blood. You do that until your resistances/stats are in order and you have the currency.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Man Toxic Rain Trickster just does it all, crazy strong. Only downside is that you need decent investment to do monoliths efficiently since it's not a one click clear.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I really wish you could bind flasks to just 1 button. Pressing 4 buttons every few seconds has to be my least favorite thing in PoE.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really wish you could bind flasks to just 1 button. Pressing 4 buttons every few seconds has to be my least favorite thing in PoE.
Imagine putting all your auras on one key rather than 6, so that you don't have to scroll through auras whenever you take a death to a lag spike or a desync on uber elder or delve
Just imagine

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine putting all your auras on one key rather than 6, so that you don't have to scroll through auras whenever you take a death to a lag spike or a desync on uber elder or delve
Just imagine
Especially when, on XBOX, two of your button slots are taken up by flares and dynamite (when delving)

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017

Well, if you want to not fully agree to the terms of service there are ways....

Watching some smaller streamers its pretty obvious they use mouse macros and what not for this. The big ones can't though because people scrutinize them very heavily.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Okay... I've got about 40ex and am unsure what to make. I have an impale cyclone build that I used to kill the Uber Elder for the first time ever in 2000+ hours of playtime. I have an ED guy that I used to make enough currency to fund that cyclone guy. I enjoy the cyclone dude alright, but mapping could be quicker on a different build and he's a bit squishy at 5kehp. What's good, people? What should I make? I know I could spend that currency on 400+ pdps foils and an impale watchers eye, but I honestly don't need the damage. I just kind of want to play something different

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Okay... I've got about 40ex and am unsure what to make. I have an impale cyclone build that I used to kill the Uber Elder for the first time ever in 2000+ hours of playtime. I have an ED guy that I used to make enough currency to fund that cyclone guy. I enjoy the cyclone dude alright, but mapping could be quicker on a different build and he's a bit squishy at 5kehp. What's good, people? What should I make? I know I could spend that currency on 400+ pdps foils and an impale watchers eye, but I honestly don't need the damage. I just kind of want to play something different
You are already playing two meta builds... why not play the 3rd meta build which is Tornado Shot Deadeye? That build has endless amount of money you can pour into it... just a Devoto's Helmet with the Tornado Shot +2 secondary projectiles enchant will cost you around 40 EX (if not more).

Will also allow you to get accustomed to the 3rd trifecta of playstyle in the game (melee, spellcaster and then ranger).

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You are already playing two meta builds... why not play the 3rd meta build which is Tornado Shot? That build has endless amount of money you can pour into it... just a Devoto's Helmet with the Tornado Shot +2 secondary projectiles enchant will cost you around 40 EX (if not more).

Will also allow you to get accustomed to the 3rd trifecta of playstyle in the game (melee, spellcaster and then ranger).
Yeah, I've considered it... But that's a little rich for my blood lol. It doesn't really even feel good to play unless you dump like 20ex into it, right?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've considered it... But that's a little rich for my blood lol. It doesn't really even feel good to play unless you dump like 20ex into it, right?
But you got 40 EXs so it should feel just fine. Decent bow, 6L Queen of the Forest, Rigwalds Quill, random ass Helmet with Tornado Shot enchant (doesn't need to be a Devoto's right away), random other rare gear or MF gear.

There are many builds out there though.. really depends on what you want to accomplish. Cyclone is the most versatile though in that it's relatively tanky (can be build that way), has big AOE/clear speed and good enough single target... but doesn't excel at any one specific area. Ranged abilities will always off screen over Cyclone despite how big its AOE can get, other skills will do more single target like Blade Storm and there are far tankier builds than Cyclone.

In other news, Starforge and Atizir axe prices have finally fallen down to reasonable levels. Seems like players are finally figuring out that they aren't end all be all weapons and easily get out matched by Dual Foils or Rare crafted 2H with Fortify. That said a 6 EX Starforge can carry you through everything in the game and is a great stepping stone until you get your Fortify 2H weapon (if you even want to that is).

Another PSA... Goldwyrms are worth more than you think this league... 1EX even for bad ones. LMFAO!

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starforge is for lazy RMTers who can't be arsed to make foils :P not that it's hard even
Or for people who want big HP I suppose

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if you want to not fully agree to the terms of service there are ways....

Watching some smaller streamers its pretty obvious they use mouse macros and what not for this. The big ones can't though because people scrutinize them very heavily.

I've definitely considered it.

Just imagine

Sounds like chaos and the world would probably end.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Starforge is for lazy RMTers who can't be arsed to make foils :P not that it's hard even
Or for people who want big HP I suppose
Alterations are at 1 chaos per 4 alterations. That's like the highest price I have ever seen Alterations go. This greatly increases the price of self crafting Foils this league. Sure you can get lucky and just hit it really quickly... I made my Foil within 4 EX but for most people it's just better to just straight up buy a Foil on trade and not go through the hassle of trading.

The sad reality of economy when Alterations are worth around as much as a Regal...

Also Deafening Essence of Dreads are worth like 70C as well... (if you want a Foil with +3 weapon range which is best in slot).

Last edited:

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Alterations are at 1 chaos per 4 alterations. That's like the highest price I have ever seen Alterations go. This greatly increases the price of self crafting Foils this league. Sure you can get lucky and just hit it really quickly... I made my Foil within 4 EX but for most people it's just better to just straight up buy a Foil on trade and not go through the hassle of trading.

The sad reality of economy when Alterations are worth around as much as a Regal...

Also Deafening Essence of Dreads are worth like 70C as well... (if you want a Foil with +3 weapon range which is best in slot).

It just makes it so I never want to bother with crafting my own gear. On limited currency it just feels safer to outright buy the item from someone else.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Crafting is usually pretty profitable especially earlier on in the league. But you kinda need to be ahead of the market and anticipate trends.

There is a guy on YT who spent the first week of Legion crafting Foils using the Essence of Dreads for +3 weapon range. This was back when Alterations were cheaper, Essence was cheaper and Starforge were like 18EX. Now he is absurdly rich and sold one of his Foils to Cutedog for 1 mirror copy + 80 EX. The meta fossils are also fairly expensive now.

However, I can definitely recommend self crafting if you are playing non meta builds. For the longest time this league, bows were super cheap this league (certain bows still cheap) and you could easily self craft a bow that would be very powerful.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Crafting is usually pretty profitable especially earlier on in the league. But you kinda need to be ahead of the market and anticipate trends.

There is a guy on YT who spent the first week of Legion crafting Foils using the Essence of Dreads for +3 weapon range. This was back when Alterations were cheaper, Essence was cheaper and Starforge were like 18EX. Now he is absurdly rich and sold one of his Foils to Cutedog for 1 mirror copy + 80 EX. The meta fossils are also fairly expensive now.

However, I can definitely recommend self crafting if you are playing non meta builds. For the longest time this league, bows were super cheap this league (certain bows still cheap) and you could easily self craft a bow that would be very powerful.

In Betrayal I was playing Vortex/Cold Snap and the guy that shared the build recommended a weapon with +90% minion damage (since you picked up Spiritual Aid) with an open suffix? to craft Trigger a spell on. I made a fair bit of currency that league just buying the fossils and crafting the weapons. Well, fair bit by my standards.

But yeah, I know it can work out but I'm pretty dumb.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017

I've had bad luck with crafting my foils this league. So when I got a double t1 phys with a t4 something else on a tier 2 foil, i just said screw it and hit with annul. Got rid of the t4 and just did multimod on it. Not optimal, but after so much failure on crafting I just wanted something.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My Foil isn't optimal either, it's just there to get me through the end game, which it did wonderfully.

I am never rich enough to be crafting for profit though.