• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I will build a character specifically for the 4-way battle and it's very sad when I lose frenzy charges

Hot take : timeless jewels are one of the worst things they've ever designed lmfao

I don't know if it's the worst but I definitely not a fan

Do you guys have timeless jewels? Can we share them?

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Who was it in the guild that was looking for hits can't be evaded? Just to let everyone know I spent 2 ex buying Vagan veiled mods, and I now have hits can't be evaded. So if you are looking to craft it on your weapons just let me know.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Who was it in the guild that was looking for hits can't be evaded? Just to let everyone know I spent 2 ex buying Vagan veiled mods, and I now have hits can't be evaded. So if you are looking to craft it on your weapons just let me know.
I went to the game ASAP and got the craft but yep, that was me. It's been a great help.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to realize I really like builds with CoC, CwC and items like Ngamahu's Flame. I had a ton of fun last league with a CwC Incinerate/Volatile Dead character. I played a CoC Assassin this league but I really am not a fan of being as squishy as they are. Messing around with a Ngamahu Chieftain right now, the damage isn't where I'd like but it is still fun.

AL_

Oct 25, 2017
Any reason why I can't get the shaped glacier to drop? I played for like 4 hours today trying all different kinds of combinations of maps and stuff to get it to drop and nothing....I have 7-9 all uncompleted but only 110 atlas completion. Is it the atlas bonus not being high enough? Decided to run a couple unique maps at the end and that was a mistake. Last map I picked was named grandmasters or something and lost all my xp at 92

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I tried it with someone else the other day and we literally couldn't complete it because there was one exile who kept disappearing and reappearing, doing no damage to us but we also couldn't damage him.

Fuck that map lol, someone offered the completion for 10c so I took it

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In grandmasters there are 3 options. You get rekt, you have 1 billion dps, you have balefire.
Even at -40? I am sure I am getting whacked by chaos damage, I wish there was something like a death replay or a "you were killed by" screen, because it get's really hard to see what is hitting you when the screen is really busy.
There's no need for replays - most of the times you die because of their stupid shit like lag, dc, invisible stuff. Woosh, seems like a pack you killed and were standing in the middle of was some shit bearers and those 20 circles that didn't load yet got you. Woosh.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In grandmasters there are 3 options. You get rekt, you have 1 billion dps, you have balefire.

There's no need for replays - most of the times you die because of their stupid shit like lag, dc, invisible stuff. Woosh, seems like a pack you killed and were standing in the middle of was some shit bearers and those 20 circles that didn't load yet got you. Woosh.
How do people even consider HC with all that stuff?

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I just found out that Lieutennants in Uber Lab can have reflect, and the only reason I ended up hitting one is because Izaro never wants to leave even though I did enough damage.

I wouldn't be so frustrated at all of this if today's Labyrinth layout wasn't so terrible.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I just found out that Lieutennants in Uber Lab can have reflect, and the only reason I ended up hitting one is because Izaro never wants to leave even though I did enough damage.

I wouldn't be so frustrated at all of this if today's Labyrinth layout wasn't so terrible.
Yup I found this out a few weeks ago. Nothing quite like making it to the final phase, killing Izaro, then one shotting yourself to one lieutenant not even in the vicinity. Fun times

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017

One of my least favorite things about POE is that bosses get to keep attacking after they become invulnerable. It is annoying enough that they will finish attacks despite being dropped to a threshold but when they start up a second attack after that it feels so unfair.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
One of my least favorite things about POE is that bosses get to keep attacking after they become invulnerable. It is annoying enough that they will finish attacks despite being dropped to a threshold but when they start up a second attack after that it feels so unfair.
And they keep adding phased bosses to the game. It's my biggest pet peeve and it feels like terrible design. Every new boss has iphases, which would be ok in the story mode, but they appear in maps and I have to deal with them hundreds of times.

Especially the goddamn lightning elder guardian.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any trick to making it more likely that the game will give you the option to kick someone out of the syndicate? EDIT: Nvm got an answer, it's apparently 100% random whether the option appears so I assume trusted/rivalries have no effect on it.

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my, how much would I like this for my current build

fa4hdjk7mlb31.png

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017

While trying to craft a two handed fortify sword and I hit this. Now I need some help as to what things I should multi mod on here. My first thought was added phys, hits can't be evaded, and %double damage. Not sure if I should do %double damage or increased quality with crit chance. Can anyone give me some advice on this.

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not 100% sure where to stick my next passive point, I think my options are..

I am a cyclone slayer, and am currently at 5167 Life, 5206 Ev (30% chance), 9426 Ar (48% dmg reduction)

Do I either go

1) +5% life to give me 5271 life.

or

2) Remove a 5% life node and hit two nodes to give more Ev and Ar, plus add some more elemental reduction (which will enable me to avoid looking for ele reduce on gear) to give my 5091 life, 5828 Ev (33% chance), 10223 Ar (50% dmg reduction)

I am thinking maybe 2 because it gives me more bang for buck (?) but maybe losing 200 life is a stretch?

Any thoughts?

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
So I reworked my Consecrated Path Jugg into a Tectonic Slam Jugg and basically doubled (or more) my DPS. Overall survivability improved too (more HP from gear swapping).

I followed one of EE's builds primarily till about level 70 then tweaked based on my gear and currency. A few lucky drops let me get a Xoph's blood and saved me some skill points. It's a supremely good delver, can facetank the Shaper guardians, and clowned on red elder. It can run ele reflect but I avoid it just because I need to swap pantheon and put Sybil's Lament on. The only mods that make me nervous are "x% less recovery of life/mana/energy shield" and "Players Cannot Regenerate Life, Mana, or Energy Shield". Cannot leech mana is annoying too but manageable with a Mana Flask.

The big improvements I can see is more damage/life. I have a shaper run lined up so we'll see just how tough he is. I'm pretty sure I'll be ok. According to PoB my unflasked shaper DPS is ~600k so I think I have enough damage, from there it's just a matter of not getting hit by stupid stuff.

I am not 100% sure where to stick my next passive point, I think my options are..

I am a cyclone slayer, and am currently at 5167 Life, 5206 Ev (30% chance), 9426 Ar (48% dmg reduction)

Do I either go

1) +5% life to give me 5271 life.

or

2) Remove a 5% life node and hit two nodes to give more Ev and Ar, plus add some more elemental reduction (which will enable me to avoid looking for ele reduce on gear) to give my 5091 life, 5828 Ev (33% chance), 10223 Ar (50% dmg reduction)

I am thinking maybe 2 because it gives me more bang for buck (?) but maybe losing 200 life is a stretch?

Any thoughts?
I'd go with option 2. Worst case you burn a couple regrets to get back to where you are. What content are you working on? If you're just spamming Legion encounters definitely 2. If you're worried about bigger hits then I would consider option 1.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd go with option 2. Worst case you burn a couple regrets to get back to where you are. What content are you working on? If you're just spamming Legion encounters definitely 2. If you're worried about bigger hits then I would consider option 1.

Trying to complete the atlas at the moment, but ultimately I'd like to try and get 24 challenges this league, at 13 currently.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to go big and craft a couple of Life Gain on Hit rings to replace Thief's Torment (doesn't have life on it). Got very lucky with one of them and got 30% Increased Melee Damage on the Regal which meant I didn't have to use an Annulment orb on it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,
I have never played this game before. I am a big fan of Diablo, particularly 2. Path of Exile seems interesting, but the fact that it's free-to-play makes me worry. Does it ever feel like the game is purposely slowing down progress or some other things like this? Also, how much content is there in the game? Compare it to Diablo 2 so I can get an idea.

Thanks

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys,
I have never played this game before. I am a big fan of Diablo, particularly 2. Path of Exile seems interesting, but the fact that it's free-to-play makes me worry. Does it ever feel like the game is purposely slowing down progress or some other things like this? Also, how much content is there in the game? Compare it to Diablo 2 so I can get an idea.

Thanks

No, there is nothing that feels slowed down because it is free to play. The only real advantages to putting some money in are the stash tabs that are shared between all characters on your account. Some currencies/items that don't normally stack (or stack in large amounts) will stack in their specific tabs which you can only buy with money. Aside from that you're not missing out on anything. Progression feels fine, finishing the story when you know the quests can take anywhere from 6-10 hours depending on how fast you play and the end game has almost too much stuff to do to where it can feel overwhelming.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

Thanks

The game is basically Diablo 2 on crack. Trust me. Download it. Play it.

It's F2P but it's supported by cosmetic microtransactions and stash tabs

Stash tabs are the only thing people really need to buy.. currency/maps/fragments tabs are super useful and premium tabs are needed for listing of your stuff on the trade stores which is a must if you're not a solo self found type of player.

The leagues/seasons are sometimes nuts... like there's new shit to do every few months. Sometimes a lot of new stuff... sometimes a little. I have been playing this game for a long while and I still haven't played through everything. the end game is an order of magnitude larger than Diablo 3 as an example.

This game is a monster in terms of things to do. They are also releasing a major major update next year which could change how the majority of the game plays.

While I never really played D2 that much and was more focused on D3... everyone who is a fan of the genre needs to play it.

edit: that video is a bit old and is a bit outdated lol

Though one major differentiator from D2 is this game is heavily reliant on build synergy so looking at builds on POE forums, especially budget ones might be the best way to get going... but you're going to stumble often when starting out. The game is very complex and will take a while to truly understand everything you are doing. You'll need to download a loot filter to make things easier because the game throws a lot of loot at you. You'll need to learn trading because the game is very very very reliant on trading unless you're solo self found... and you're not likely to beat everything or hit the highest level of end game with your first character. I certainly didn't.

Currency works very differently in this game compared to others. Currency is used for crafting and there's tons of different currencies but they all have different uses and all have different values.

Expect to be overwhelmed. But it's so worth it when you realize how the game works from front to back. It's just so well done.

Last edited:

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
What others said. One addition: stash tabs only become necessary once you finish the story campaign and go into maps. By then you probably know if you love the game or not.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting. I wonder what kind of evidence is required to report scammers to GGG.
Presumably a combination of chat logs and referencing the item trade in GGG's logs would make it pretty easy.

I'm working on finishing my atlas and grinding for 24 challenges. I just need a Phoenix map to finish up the T16's and then a few assorted red maps then all I'll need is the unique maps. I did a 4 army battle and was pretty disappointed by the loot even with a full clear. I got nothing of note besides the 5 slot map device.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did a 4 army battle and was pretty disappointed by the loot even with a full clear. I got nothing of note besides the 5 slot map device.

Have GGG ever managed to get the loot scaling right?, rewards from end of 'path' content, like the Temple, Betrayal and Legion is always distinctly underwhelming.

I did the betrayal boss for the first time the other day and got worse loot than you would in a white map.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have 1500+ hours on steam and ? hours stand alone and I have probably only dropped maybe $80 USD into the game over the years. F2P stuff shouldnt be a concern at all outside of stash tabs.

The only game I reckon I have played more than PoE is Ultima Online and that was a long fucking time ago.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Have GGG ever managed to get the loot scaling right?, rewards from end of 'path' content, like the Temple, Betrayal and Legion is always distinctly underwhelming.

I did the betrayal boss for the first time the other day and got worse loot than you would in a white map.
I wouldn't mind the poor loot if the effort to even get a shot at the loot wasn't such a pain in the ass. Betrayal is a perfect example of an enormous grind for a small chance at 1 or 2 really good items but realistically just getting garbage.

Hell at least guarantee a timeless jewel for a 4 army battle (or the first clear just to keep you excited)

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Loot scaling is fine this league. It's rewarding at low ends, its rewarding at mid ends and its rewarding at high end.... it's even super rewarding at top ends which is 5 way army farming.

Thing is that 90% of playerbase doesn't have enough currency to invest in the higher tier of farming so they will always do the low investment strategy which gives good enough returns. We have already had tests done on higher end content in Legion and it gives more returns for more investments.... I am not sure what else GGG can do.

However, the 5 way battle is really only lucrative if you have HH + Inspired Learning which has affected prices of Emblems, Incubators and Timeless Jewels. The economy would be different if there were no HH + Inspired Learning.. it would be less punishing to run 5 way since your returns would be higher so it would balance itself out. Right now you can't really get the top end stuff in low end farming (like high level incubators and Timeless Jewels plus more splinters) so it doesn't really matter, you just make bank off of raw currency drops from Legion.

There is no reasonable fix to this. If you nerf the lower end content then players just getting into maps feel punished. If you increase the top end then players would complain about "rich get richer" where players like Cutedog would exploit the higher end content for more returns.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Loot scaling is fine this league. It's rewarding at low ends, its rewarding at mid ends and its rewarding at high end.... it's even super rewarding at top ends which is 5 way army farming.

Thing is that 90% of playerbase doesn't have enough currency to invest in the higher tier of farming so they will always do the low investment strategy which gives good enough returns. We have already had tests done on higher end content in Legion and it gives more returns for more investments.... I am not sure what else GGG can do.

However, the 5 way battle is really only lucrative if you have HH + Inspired Learning which has affected prices of Emblems, Incubators and Timeless Jewels. The economy would be different if there were no HH + Inspired Learning.. it would be less punishing to run 5 way since your returns would be higher so it would balance itself out. Right now you can't really get the top end stuff in low end farming (like high level incubators and Timeless Jewels plus more splinters) so it doesn't really matter, you just make bank off of raw currency drops from Legion.

There is no reasonable fix to this. If you nerf the lower end content then players just getting into maps feel punished. If you increase the top end then players would complain about "rich get richer" where players like Cutedog would exploit the higher end content for more returns.
I suppose that's true, my issue is at the mid-tier you go through all the effort building splinters into emblems for the big finale and the results are pretty underwhelming. I'm not asking for a Timeless Jewel for each army run, but one for the first clear to upgrade the map device would be rad. In most of the "endgame content" I always feel like you should give the player that clawed their way to that point a "shiny" as a congrats for reaching that summit. Nothing gamebreaking. A flood of Timeless Vaal jewels isn't going to dramatically hose the trade scene. A garbage watcher's eye for that first red/uber elder clear isn't going to flood the market. There's plenty of trinkets that only drop from the boss or encounter that would be nice to see even if you can't use them as an incentive to try again.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Problem is 5 way emblem is worthless without HH and friends, and endgame farming (uelder, shaper) are just a dumb variance fiesta where you get something valuable every hundredth run
Ain't nobody got time for this fucking variance
The monolith rewards are a nice cherry on top when running T16s, but you're farming towards not much since the end bosses are shit, so people turn to glacier. It's kind of baffling lol. Better than blood aqueduct/bridge/quarry I guess.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Endgame farming has become too efficient for GGG to make them too rewarding. If Starforge dropped at a 1% more chance then that would greatly decrease its price and chase status. Player base has become too efficient and only tier 0 items like HH can actually be valuable anymore. Since players farm at an accelerated rate, nothing is out of their reach as they can farm content efficiently... so they have to make stuff rarer. This has caused discrepancies in content reward. Shaper wouldn't even be farmed if Starfoge wasn't seen as valuable.. it's meta dependent as well.

There is no real easy way to fix this unfortunately. If GGG makes end game bosses too lucrative then a lot of people will chain farm them and their items will flood the market... until the farm strategy no longer becomes lucrative to the average player.

Look at the prices of the Guardian unique items for example. Even if they are really good items... they will never be expensive because it's not that difficult anymore to kill Guardians.

If you look at the history of the game... this has always been the case. Farming maps that you can finish in 20 seconds has always given best return on time/effort/investment ratio. Farming bosses is lucrative for like a week into the league until their items are either too expensive relative to the cost of entry of content or the market is flooded with items. I don't see this changing unless stuff like Shaper drops as many items as 4 T16 maps since that is the investment needed to run it. That way on average you will always make your money back by running it (as opposed to now where unless you get absurdly lucky, you are likely to run it at a loss). That is because running maps with investment almost always results in net gains which is why it has always been the most common farm strategy in the game.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
the best way to make it better is just to make sure every end game endpoint has a chance to drop something really powerful and to just keep adding more and more and more into the game... BiS by wide margin for tons of builds... i really hope 4.0 outright doubles the amount of end game. even though it's massive right now, it will only help the whole farming angle. a lot of end points need work:

Breaches are largely unrewarding
Mastermind itself isn't rewarding (though doing the set up of the board can be, depending on your outcomes)
Incursion needs a bit of a rework to make it more rewarding in general, though you can get the soul ripper thing from there it's just mind numbing... and double corruption is just dumb
Abyss isn't very rewarding
Delve isn't very rewarding
Lab runs aren't rewarding anymore and there's too many damn enchants now so the odds of getting a good synergy with helm and build is so bad that generic crafts rule the day which completely messes with unique helm values

Imo they really need to make some uniques more unique and more powerful. They need to really look over the whole vaal/double corrupting part and make crafting not the absolute best way to get BiS items.... It just makes it a currency sink instead of an outright time sink and currency is a lot easier to farm than ultra rare valuables.

It makes it much better for the casuals too because then they know what's good... not that random vaal regalia that's possibly a few fossil crafts and a bench craft away from BiS. that's what really messes with the games itemization. There's so little demand for specific items and too much demand for crafts. There needs to be more displacement.

Just saw my friend last night create such an overwhelming OP boss killer build with 10-15ex ... a winter orb CWC ice shot. Who needs these valuable items when you can just craft your amazing build that deletes shaper in a second? I wish I was kidding about that, too. I just want to also point out how absurd it's become where 10-15 ex doesn't sound like a lot... and bench crafts like multimod aren't impacted by inflationary forces and get cheaper over time.

Last edited:

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
oof they're rolling back the game who knows by how long

I was just writing a comment, apparently a shitload of people had their fossils vanished from their inventories after stacking them. Surprised a rollback will take "several hours".

Also I should remember not to read comments each time something happens, people are so insanely selfish and whiny.

Last edited:

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
Tabs are on sale again which means if you're new and looking to dig in hard its a great time to get efficient returns on your money.
If you purchase the first blood pack for $20 USD you receive
200 points​
an extra stash tab​
First blood mtx​
With the 200 points you can spend this on
120 points Map tab (down from 150)
60 points Currency stash tab (down from 75)
20 points on an extra stash tab or upgrading one or two tabs (down from 30)
this saves you about $5.50 usd and be more than enough for completing the story + mapping.