• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In general minions are affected by very few stats on your gear so you can focus on rares that maximize your survivability. It's easy to get a very high hp (life/es) total but Necro lacks leech/regen mechanics so you will die to repeated heavy hits.

You are also free to pursue armor or evasion if you feel like it.
Necromancer got some defensive love in 3.8 with the corpse node regenerating 2% of max ES when consuming corpses, alongside the buff in selfoffering. With spirit Offering you can easily gain a ton of ES.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Necromancer got some defensive love in 3.8 with the corpse node regenerating 2% of max ES when consuming corpses, alongside the buff in selfoffering. With spirit Offering you can easily gain a ton of ES.

Hmm! How did I ignore that. Sounds like something that would be useful for a life/es/MoM hybrid. Getting everything I want from tree is hard though. I definitely want Bone Barrier. Unnatural Strength seems too good to pass. That's 6 points used. 2 left, but I also want mistress of sacrifice, commander of darkness too! And essence glutton?

I guess Essence Glutton & Commander of Darkness are mutually exclusive, you don't need mana regen / mana pool from essence glutton if everything is reserved by auras. And if you don't use many auras, commander of darkness is not good value for points.

I was going to take mistress of sacrifice but essence glutton looks to be a better alternative since I'd like my defences to be as passive as possible.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm! How did I ignore that. Sounds like something that would be useful for a life/es/MoM hybrid. Getting everything I want from tree is hard though. I definitely want Bone Barrier. Unnatural Strength seems too good to pass. That's 6 points used. 2 left, but I also want mistress of sacrifice, commander of darkness too! And essence glutton?

I guess Essence Glutton & Commander of Darkness are mutually exclusive, you don't need mana regen / mana pool from essence glutton if everything is reserved by auras. And if you don't use many auras, commander of darkness is not good value for points.

I was going to take mistress of sacrifice but essence glutton looks to be a better alternative since I'd like my defences to be as passive as possible.
I want to try a no-minion Low Life Necromancer using Volatile Dead with the Plaguebringer and Corpse Pact nodes, Mistress of Sacrifice + Flesh Offering for Zooming around and then not sure about Commander of Darkness or Essence Glutton. Probably Commander for the dmg.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Venomous Gale looks sick, lots of mechanics for it. It can support so many projectile supports its going to be curious to see how players min/max it. I just hope numbers on it arent too low because this is the type of skill many people would want to league start.

Especially with the new Assassin with the Mistwalker node looking sick. Assassin seeks to have a healthy dose of speed and defense added in wkth more damage all around. Much better than the Raider changes which for left in the dust.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't going to be a summoner league. It's going to be an assassin league. Might have to adjust my starter character.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Going to start theory crafting a venom gyre build. Was going to go summoners first, but assassin with venom gyre just looks so good.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Assassin preview is up:

tna3n9p1k3k31.jpg

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
2, 4, 6, 10 for a spell caster, maybe?

Trying to figure out if 8 or 10 is the one I drop for elusive.

I'm going to start as poison then swap to CWC cyclone magma orb sire of Shards if it doesn't work out.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
8 has more utility with damage reduction possibility and movement speed. 10 is pure damage, which honestly Assassin already has a lot of.

Miswalker (node 2) is going to go in pretty much all Assassin builds just like Tailwind goes into all Deadeye builds.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
  • Desecrate no longer having a cooldown its nice, you can link it to spell totem+ multiple totems to have a steady corpse generation for bosses without any downtime.
  • Interested to see the Bodyswap changes but I would still play Flame Dash as spellcaster over BS.
  • Wands getting global gem level is cool. You can still have the insane +999 gem level from 6L bows (I believe?) while giving more progression to spellcasting.
  • Mana changes are... out of place kinda. Inspiration may be very good for channeling builds (Scorch Ray, Divine Ire) alongside Praxis or Elreon rings. May need to link Arcane Surge (with the new Arcane Surge node in the tree from the leaks) to sustain mana, however having 1 mana flask with the new Enduring mod may be enough in no regen maps.
  • EDIT: Offering buffs are nice, if you invest a bit into skill duration you won't need to recast them often but will be offset by the maximum corpses nerf.
  • EDIT2: OOF big nerf to Spirit Offering since the ES gained was based on Corpses consumed so they halved that, I need to check the patch notes tomorrow to see if the ES number is updated. https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Spirit_Offering
Still planning to do LL Volatile Dead Necromancer this league.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk what the hell I'm gonna play
Cyclone ? Biggest nerf was the AOE if you were stacking it like crazy but I wasn't. It will still be super meta so a bit expensive too.
RF ? No buffs in centuries, it's just cyclone but bad, but at least it doesn't die I guess
Winter orb ? Could work with the league mechanic, idk how bad the nerf was for clear speed, but elementalist got demolished too

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious, with this many changes is there any way my wife who plays a witch will get a full skill point reset? I hope so because her skill tree is all messed up lol.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious, with this many changes is there any way my wife who plays a witch will get a full skill point reset? I hope so because her skill tree is all messed up lol.
Passive tree changes imply full skill reset for Standard league characters. In case you dont know how it works, Standard is the dumpyard for seasonal characters when the league/season ends.

I recommend to create a new character in Blight league this friday. It will have the most people playing and it is fresh start for everybody so it is fun, alongside minion changes which should make a nice beginner build for Witches.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Passive tree changes imply full skill reset for Standard league characters. In case you dont know how it works, Standard is the dumpyard for seasonal characters when the league/season ends.

I recommend to create a new character in Blight league this friday. It will have the most people playing and it is fresh start for everybody so it is fun, alongside minion changes which should make a nice beginner build for Witches.

Okay. Yeah, I'm ready for Blight, but my wife would NOT want to start a new character lol.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for the gem information and patch notes now. Pretty sure I'm going to go venom gyre assassin unless it doesn't have the damage.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited about summoner/necro stuff, but yeah I think this is definitely going to end up being the poison assassin league. The mine changes seem to flying a bit under the radar compared to the other two, hopefully that stuff ends up being strong and fun too.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What changes do you mean ?
Jugg is pretty good tbh

Changes to DoT, now having Fire DoT and changes to the gem:

"Many passives that increased Burning Damage, Poison Damage or Bleeding Damage now have equivalent Damage over Time Multiplier bonuses. They've all been rebalanced as a result. We've also added a new small cluster that gives some potent bonuses to ignites from Critical Strikes, and another that gives bonuses to all ailments from Critical Strikes.

There are also new item modifiers and crafting modifiers that apply to Fire Damage over Time Multiplier or Ignite Damage over Time Multiplier, to give Burning builds options closer to Cold Damage over Time and Chaos Damage over Time builds.

As a result of all of these Burning changes, we've reviewed all Burning Damage skills, and adjusted values. Righteous Fire in particular has received some mechanical changes. It now deals a smaller portion of your health as fire damage to enemies around you, but has an additional burning damage value that increases as the gem levels. The goal of this change is to provide more power for builds that don't invest as heavily in maximum life, and slightly less power in builds that invested the majority of their resources into getting large values of maximum life. "

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of giving storm burst a go. It's been fun the few times I used it leveling. I'm thinking inquisitor for the consecrated ground buffs to mana regen and ailment immunity allowing me some freedom with flasks. Anyone play around with it?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Storm burst is channeling, right? I feel like Trickster has been a great fit for it in past leagues, especially if you want some juicy extra chaos scaling.

Inquis is also a solid option.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the most I've skimmed over patch notes because there's so few skills and supports that interest me. Only the improvements to the existing league mechanics have been exciting and I don't think Pulverize was overpowered enough to justify the nerf it got.

I'm glad they're lowering the life of Azoatl enemies. Hopefully that's enough to make it a lot more playable now.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
The Poet's Pen buff? Where is Dahbomb ?
More like 2ex when people catch up how good the new corpse necro nodes are for dual PP
5ex
Vis Mortis: No longer grants +1 to maximum number of Raised Spectres or grants your minions Unholy Might when they kill an Enemy. Now causes minions to gain 15-20% of Elemental Damage as extra Chaos Damage.
Bones of Ullr: No longer increases the maximum number of Zombies or Spectres you can have. Instead, it now grants +1 to the level of Raise Zombie and Raise Spectre gems. This affects all versions of the item.
I will play a Trapper
I don't know if it's still possible to have +1 spectre on a chest via fossil craft

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

5ex

I will play a Trapper
I don't know if it's still possible to have +1 spectre on a chest via fossil craft
Isn't this offset by the amount of spectres/minions you gain during the leveling process?

I thought the design philosophy was to remove dependency from uniques and ultimately buff DPS, not hurt it.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Oh my they removed all sources of +spectres? And it's 100% gem level now? I am worried right now that the third spectre is at gem level 28 or something.

I should plan a backup build in case spectres are limited to 2 only. That would cut my dps in half from previous leagues. Weird thing to do for a summoner rework.

The gyre assassin looks fun.

Isn't this offset by the amount of spectres/minions you gain during the leveling process?

I could get 4 easily, previously. 5 if I really tried.

Gem lvl 20 is 2 spectres. But how much +gem lvl investment is needed to get the rest? Possibility of getting more from gem levels doesn't comfort me if I need to invest 20ex+ in items to get those gem levels.

What if I need to use a bow or a staff? I don't want to, I always used shields and necromantic aegis. If purpose was to stop reliance on certain items, this change might make it a lot worse.

It all depends on how often you get additional spectres though. I hope my fears are wrong.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

5ex

I will play a Trapper
I am still here. Poet Pen's is quite better now and expect to see a lot of people playing Unearth/Volatile Dead type builds. Easier to cap accuracy now too and it's still a rare unique so expect the price to go up. Especially the case when spell casting folks have mana issues and they will be looking to automate skills again.

+Specter/Zombies are put on gem levels now so you really want to invest in +1 level in those gems. Takes the power out of specific uniques and spreads the power out. We have to see where the cuts are off at though, like at one point can we get +3 Specters.

As far as Patch goes overall... it's actually nothing too absurd that we haven't already seen. One major thing that struck out to me was Combat Focus working on Wild Strike. This opens up new builds for Wild Strike as now you can play some really meme build of Wild Strike CoC Arc + Mjolnirs by focusing on just the Arc aspect of Wild Strike. Wild Strike's Lightning and Cold versions are really strong for clear, you just have to use like Berserker for high attack speed damage. Might do a bigger write up after I see gem levels and such.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the relevant patch notes changes were covered in the manifesto.

Reworked Femur of the Saints now gives crazy regen per zombie.
Bodyswap rework doesnt look good, the innate dmg was gutted and moved to %maximum life.

I actually wanted to use Ashcaller for leveling and I was surprised to see that the burning dmg modifier was cut by half.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I see people freaking out about Spectre and Zombie nerfs (some claiming entire builds have been destroyed), but I thought the idea was to actually buff the overall damage? Is that not what it says in the design philosophy? I'm assuming GGG is smart enough to balance it out in a meaningful way (to not explode expenses on the same builds in their attempt to move power into the gems and out of uniques).

But yeah, hopefully they didn't just shoot the price up significantly in order to get comparable damage.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
It's relatively easy to get +4 gem levels: +1 gem corruption, +1 new wand, +2 necro ascendancy. That gives lvl 84 spectres and hopefully at least 3 max. I could live with that.

Oct 29, 2017
  • Elemancer: No longer grants ailment prevention based on the types of Golems you have summoned. Now grants 35% chance to avoid Elemental ailments per summoned Golem, and also grants 25% increased effect of buffs granted by your golems per summoned Golem (stacks with Liege of the Primordials identical stat).
Yay. A bit less physical one-shots.

7 damage 4 support ratio still looks like best damage for Golementalist. Tough break carrion golem.