• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this game for years and still don't know any abbreviations or nicknames for any end game shit because every time I look anything up I just see people with copy pasta builds or all trying to do the same 4 things
What you described is really the crux of it all.

The game is so complex and open ended that most average players cannot handle making and creating builds so they go with what is marketed to them by GGG or played by top streamers. It's no surprise the that this league has 35% Necromancers, the highest it has ever been despite being a niche and cumbersome playstyle. And Necromancers despite being super strong early game aren't going to be the best simply because they can't compete against something like a Headhunter Tornado Shot build when it comes to mapping.

I don't really think this is ever changing to be honest. This is probably the most balance league in that every Ascendancy is powerful, every playstyle is powerful and just about every skill is powerful. But players will rather follow other people than do something on their own and I can't blame them, there goes a lot into making a build.

IMO even though starting out following a build is fine, even maximizing these builds you need high knowledge of the game. Lots of dated and false information out there which can cause even bigger headaches. Having fundamental knowledge of the games core mechanics is essential for long term success.

And honestly... many streamers playing for 5 years+ still don't know enough. That's how indepth this game is. There is always something that you are missing. The best is to follow players who play certain archetypes across all leagues. Like DonTheCrown for melee, Grimro for speed clearing builds, Uber for summoners and Mathil for cheap but effective builds.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started playing this last week to pass some time and this game is confusing as shit lol.

My trunk is full of shit that does all kinds of things like raising quality, removing stats, changing colors etc. The skill tree has me shaking my head.

I just said fuck it and started just playing and picking skills that sound good and not worrying about it.

I must say, I don't pick up 80% of the loot I see drop because I get tired of constantly going back to town haha.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they make towers more relevant on blighted maps, if you don't have a top clear build you get overrun like shit

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
i started playing friday night. SSFHC marauder. im new to both ssf n hc and just opted to dive in. Ive been pathing towards a RF juggy but i might try doing a stunlock char cuz that seems fun too. so far ive hit lvl 41 and barely starting act 4. Im worried most about Doedre in the sewers but I wonder if i'll even get that far!. wish me luck

I started playing this last week to pass some time and this game is confusing as shit lol.

My trunk is full of shit that does all kinds of things like raising quality, removing stats, changing colors etc. The skill tree has me shaking my head.

I just said fuck it and started just playing and picking skills that sound good and not worrying about it.

I must say, I don't pick up 80% of the loot I see drop because I get tired of constantly going back to town haha.
www.filterblade.xyz

FilterBlade - PoE Filter Customizer - Finetuned for NeverSink's Filter

Preview, Personalize and Download PoE loot filters. Optimized for NeverSink's Filter and offers a rich Customization UI for new and veteran PoE players.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
What you described is really the crux of it all.

The game is so complex and open ended that most average players cannot handle making and creating builds so they go with what is marketed to them by GGG or played by top streamers. It's no surprise the that this league has 35% Necromancers, the highest it has ever been despite being a niche and cumbersome playstyle. And Necromancers despite being super strong early game aren't going to be the best simply because they can't compete against something like a Headhunter Tornado Shot build when it comes to mapping.

I don't really think this is ever changing to be honest. This is probably the most balance league in that every Ascendancy is powerful, every playstyle is powerful and just about every skill is powerful. But players will rather follow other people than do something on their own and I can't blame them, there goes a lot into making a build.

IMO even though starting out following a build is fine, even maximizing these builds you need high knowledge of the game. Lots of dated and false information out there which can cause even bigger headaches. Having fundamental knowledge of the games core mechanics is essential for long term success.

And honestly... many streamers playing for 5 years+ still don't know enough. That's how indepth this game is. There is always something that you are missing. The best is to follow players who play certain archetypes across all leagues. Like DonTheCrown for melee, Grimro for speed clearing builds, Uber for summoners and Mathil for cheap but effective builds.
i have never followed a build or a guide the entire time playing. i'd probably quit forever if i did almost every character i make i use a new skill with the exception of if i'm melee i might use frost blade for far too long then i should to get through the first 35 levels with ease

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Some tips:

It is totally okay to die during the beginning of the game especially if you dont know what are you doing.
The game is very flexible with archetypes of characters. You can have your buff barbarian throwing firestorms in a blue dress and complete the game.
There is a way to earn "subclasses" but dont think too much about it at the start.
PoE meta is about focusing on improving 1 skill of your choice with several linked supports, maximizing the damage done.
The tree is often used to get defensive stats (Life or Energy Shield, alongside armor or evasion, there is a lot of more regarding layered defenses but just focus on Life and gear that has Life) while gear/sockets/links can provide the most dmg.
The game incorporates a basic item filter than hides "weak" items compared to the zone you are e.g filter in act 2 will no longer show act 1 items even if they drop. You can activate it in the UI submenu.
After you have died a lot, test several skills and progress a bit, it is the best to make a new character and apply the knowledge you have earned, and keep advancing!
Path of Exile is really deep and people keep learning things after 10k hours.

Just ask if you need anything here.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some tips:

It is totally okay to die during the beginning of the game especially if you dont know what are you doing.
The game is very flexible with archetypes of characters. You can have your buff barbarian throwing firestorms in a blue dress and complete the game.
There is a way to earn "subclasses" but dont think too much about it at the start.
PoE meta is about focusing on improving 1 skill of your choice with several linked supports, maximizing the damage done.
The tree is often used to get defensive stats (Life or Energy Shield, alongside armor or evasion, there is a lot of more regarding layered defenses but just focus on Life and gear that has Life) while gear/sockets/links can provide the most dmg.
The game incorporates a basic item filter than hides "weak" items compared to the zone you are e.g filter in act 2 will no longer show act 1 items even if they drop. You can activate it in the UI submenu.
After you have died a lot, test several skills and progress a bit, it is the best to make a new character and apply the knowledge you have earned, and keep advancing!
Path of Exile is really deep and people keep learning things after 10k hours.

Just ask if you need anything here.

Thanks for the tips I will keep them in mind! (especially the loot filter one!)

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
any advice on what to look for if i want to make a stun character? ive been using consecrated ground and i really enjoy seeing the stun symbol above enemies heads.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
any advice on what to look for if i want to make a stun character? ive been using consecrated ground and i really enjoy seeing the stun symbol above enemies heads.
Go for a pure physical build. Physical melee skills have a stun multiplier versus elemental melee skills. Go for a skill that is slow but hits hard like Earthquake or Ground Slam. For even more min max in Stun, use a Mace weapon like Marohi Erqi.

For good damage and stunning balance, I recommend going Marohi Erqi Earthquake Slayer with the Crit node so that you can go Crit with it. For higher tankyness, go with Tidebreaker Juggernaut Earthquake stacking lots of Endurwnce Charges (but have to go Resolute Technique so damage is far less).

The all in stun build is with Heavy Strike or maybe even Ground Slam with Mace. But Earthquake is a better all around skill.

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
Go for a pure physical build. Physical melee skills have a stun multiplier versus elemental melee skills. Go for a skill that is slow but hits hard like Earthquake or Ground Slam. For even more min max in Stun, use a Mace weapon like Marohi Erqi.

For good damage and stunning balance, I recommend going Marohi Erqi Earthquake Slayer with the Crit node so that you can go Crit with it. For higher tankyness, go with Tidebreaker Juggernaut Earthquake stacking lots of Endurwnce Charges (but have to go Resolute Technique so damage is far less).

The all in stun build is with Heavy Strike or maybe even Ground Slam with Mace. But Earthquake is a better all around skill.
I appreciate you.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads-up: Red Elder's last phase is currently bugged, this doesn't seem to affect every player, but be on the lookout for a fix in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i like this new cobra skill you get early on will alternate between that and frost blade unless i get something to drop worth trying to do something creative or else with

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pleasantly surprised with the Blight mechanics, not only from a basic level in how well it fits into the (early at least) game and how rewarding it is, but also how well it plays on console.

Going to enjoy this league.

edit : I alsi swear they've done something with the IQ and the performance on the XB(X), it looks and runs way better than I remember.

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick question, the guide I am using as a framework for my character has it's ES/AR/EV split pretty evenly across the 3, is this by design, or just a result of wanting specific results in INT/STR/DEX and/or gem slot colours?

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, the guide I am using as a framework for my character has it's ES/AR/EV split pretty evenly across the 3, is this by design, or just a result of wanting specific results in INT/STR/DEX and/or gem slot colours?
Could be just for gem colors yeah, or if they're constrained by uniques ?
Got a link?

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd check it out but fucking pastebin is blocked at work lmao

edit: blighted maps are still bugged don't use them. Sigh.

e2: whoever lent me an ex yesterday (pelotasbuyas) I can pay you back this evening (~5 hours from this post), give me a PM if I forget

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
why the fuck is animate guardian not working for me? I've used it before (a few leagues ago lol). I'm mousing over/highlighting a weapon or armor piece, but it isn't doing anything. It's doing the casting animation and it's using mana, but nothing. White items, id'd rare/magic, nothing happens. Even unlinked.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd check it out but fucking pastebin is blocked at work lmao

edit: blighted maps are still bugged don't use them. Sigh.

e2: whoever lent me an ex yesterday (pelotasbuyas) I can pay you back this evening (~5 hours from this post), give me a PM if I forget
1ex + 20c of interest!

dWgCMjM.jpg

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just did my first blighted map. Just a T1 to start. Should be fine, right?
Nope. Performance was so bad I could barely do anything two minutes in.

Even good performance would not have helped much, though. It's so easy to get overwhelmed. They desperately need to add waves to this so you can actually manage your towers. I was just panic buying anything that might delay the horde.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
So it looks like 4.0 is at least a year out. I don't know why I was thinking it would come either after 3.9 or maybe one more expansion. I clearly missed something with their planned schedules going forward. But they'll have a playable demo of it in some fashion at ExileCon so that's pretty cool.

Anyhow, more to read about upcoming expansions below.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Yooo man, we should run maps sometime. :)
Definitely!

Haven't been playing for a while now, only just recently started with the new league. Had to take a permanent break because I wasn't working and PoE was the major reason why. It was literally an addiction. So I removed all my friends from the game, took myself out of the Era guild and was ready to just ditch it completely.

But I got a new job!! so I'm now back. Haha. But now with more moderation... I hope!

So I need an invite to the guild if anyone can, would like to revisit with you all!

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Definitely!

Haven't been playing for a while now, only just recently started with the new league. Had to take a permanent break because I wasn't working and PoE was the major reason why. It was literally an addiction. So I removed all my friends from the game, took myself out of the Era guild and was ready to just ditch it completely.

But I got a new job!! so I'm now back. Haha. But now with more moderation... I hope!

So I need an invite to the guild if anyone can, would like to revisit with you all!
Damn man, I'm sorry to hear about that but I'm glad you're working again. Work also keeps me in check. Whats your tag in game again? I'll invite

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
i ripped in act 5. got my juggernaut to lvl 47 before i got caught slipping. ssfhc is pretty fun but im not sure if do another this league or the next.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to 3.9. They have had two leagues of pretty basic leagues. Tower mechanics were pretty new but the meta crafting and end game content was very absent in Blight as were overall changes to the game that weren't the 3 archetypes. Melee rework was big but again, Legion was a fairly basic league as far as end game goes.

Really wonder what they have in story for 3.9. Rework of the endgame mapping? Labyrinth rework? New brand new endgame system like Delve?

Last thing I want to see are more Acts though. But I feel like we might get more story content anyway. They definitely have something for new players in these big expansions though that may be for 4.0.0.

But please GGG fix your netcode/servers. The server lags during intense game play moments has been getting worse and worse as the game becomes more and more complex. This along with Trade has become a serious problem with the game combined with game breaking bugs and crashes.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty good price. Probably recovering from the backlash of that other MTX box that broke down your duplicate MTX.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
So I know I'm a bit behind as I've been out of the game for a little while but wow, poemap.live is amazing. Just set up 2 maps I had to trade for one I needed for my next memory fragment and got like an instant msg from another player. Yeah I'm gonna be using that site a lot...

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why, but I just love Cassisas vocalization.

Any blight oil guides?, got a few, not really sure if it's worth using them early game, or saving till late game.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why, but I just love Cassisas vocalization.

Any blight oil guides?, got a few, not really sure if it's worth using them early game, or saving till late game.
I'd try to find a good notable that uses black oils and below for "early" on.
There are 3 good notables below duelist, the damage per endurance or frenzy charges ones, and the onslaught on kill one.
Most good notables use a silver or gold oil unfortunately.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017