• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finally feel like my luck is turning around. Got a decent upgrade that took me from a 5l to a 6l and then I couldn't sleep in this morning and decided to play some. Ended up getting my first ever Exalt drop.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I found 2 rings worth 4ex each yesterday and sold both this morning. I had about 3ex before that.

Really hurt not to get to play for the first week, so I'm glad I was able to catch up a bit. Now I have to figure out what to spend it on.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
So this just dropped from a stacked deck.

Its good that I already quit the league a week ago, and I deleted my 8-9ex worth's necromancer.
Its good that I did *NOT*, since then, start a poison character, grinded to endgame, then sold its items and built one more CWC Whispering Ice character, this time a Cyclonning Scion.

Its so good. oh wait :P

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Having a great time this league, always liked the Necro style so this is perfect. Gonna try to beat Shaper for the first time ever

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They are about as many players playing a Necromancer build as there were Slayers in previous league.

GGG has been pretty bad at Ascendancy balance as of late. Expect a round of nerfs for Necromancers for next league.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I will enjoy my zombies as long as humanly possible (been wanting an OP zombie build since I started PoE).

I'm at 15 level 30 zombies, 6k life and 3.3k shield, leeching shield instead of life, 90% phys dmg reduction, 47% evasion, pls don't nerf me

Guardian bosses last about 1-2 seconds lol, Phoenix can't even do his explosion.

Last edited:

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Necromancers were already in a great spot, this league only helped to exacerbate how op minions are.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Even significant nerfs won't hurt the archetype much. It's stupid how strong it is right now.

Ha, don't tempt GGG. They are known for nuking builds from orbit.

Reduced all minion damage and maximum life by 50%
Elemental Equilibrium now only affects damage done by you, not minions (or allies)
Charges no longer have an enhanced effect on minions

I'm sure there are more they could come up with.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The funny thing is people were freaking the fuck out about zombies being nerfed once the patch notes came out lmao. Boy were they wrong

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ha, don't tempt GGG. They are known for nuking builds from orbit.

Reduced all minion damage and maximum life by 50%
Elemental Equilibrium now only affects damage done by you, not minions (or allies)
Charges no longer have an enhanced effect on minions

I'm sure there are more they could come up with.

All minions have phasing and can not taunt.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completed my first Blighted map this morning (did my first one yesterday, but thought it would be a good idea to chisel and alch it, without any oil mods and it ended badly) and the performance was fine, way too many loot drops though (lol) run out of portals ferrying it all back!

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Necromancer builds were always very capable, easily doing uber elder and high delves. This just puts the focus on them.
Spectre damage will definitely see some nerfs, and the elemental equilibrum part seems quite reasonable, to be honest, it has been a cornerstone of tricky builds for years now.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine had a mirror drop. He threw me a ton of ex (well a ton for me) and I'm in the enviable position of being able to do pretty much whatever build.

What's a fun build that is normally prohibitively expensive to play? I don't know that I'm going to have another chance to do something like this in a league so I want to make the most of it.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
A friend of mine had a mirror drop. He threw me a ton of ex (well a ton for me) and I'm in the enviable position of being able to do pretty much whatever build.

What's a fun build that is normally prohibitively expensive to play? I don't know that I'm going to have another chance to do something like this in a league so I want to make the most of it.

Last league, I found a Headhunter from a legion chest, and I ended up wasting all of the 75 exalteds on incremental (but good) gear upgrades, some of which I later borked when an annul went wrong :P
So let me just give my advice: do not go for a too expensive build just yet. You might regret spending curr on it later on. More importantly: do not bork the expensive items if you buy any :D

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Last league, I found a Headhunter from a legion chest, and I ended up wasting all of the 75 exalteds on incremental (but good) gear upgrades, some of which I later borked when an annul went wrong :P
So let me just give my advice: do not go for a too expensive build just yet. You might regret spending curr on it later on. More importantly: do not bork the expensive items if you buy any :D
Nah I was thinking things that have expensive but "required" items to really make the build feel good. Something like Unnatural Instinct on nearly any scion build for example. I'm too risk averse to game on upgrading gear. I'm not above burning 6-8 ex on a meta craft since the outcome is pretty fixed though.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Heavily depends on what your definition of expensive truly is; I have 3 characters this league and besides my league starter, all of them have 5ex+ gear investment. It would also help to know what your current build is.

My recs for fun ways to blow money:
Max Block Es recover on block/Discipline on hit w/ Kiloava timeless jewel Vortex Occultist;
Full cold conversion Frost Blades/Wild Strike Pandemonius Raider;

Last edited:

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Heavily depends on what your definition of expensive truly is; I have 3 characters this league and besides my league starter, all of them have 5ex+ gear investment. It would also help to know what your current build is.

My recs for fun ways to blow money:
Max Block Es recover on block/Discipline on hit w/ Kiloava timeless jewel Vortex Occultist;
Full cold conversion Frost Blades/Wild Strike Pandemonius Raider;
I got about 20 ex to burn.
Current builds this league:
Storm burst trickster
Cobra lash assassin
Static Strike Elementalist

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hit 24 challenges today. Still haven't completed my Atlas and as much as I'd like to test my miner against Uber Elder, I cannot be bothered to make it happen.

Stuck with my starter (mine Saboteur) and decided on going all in on Icicle Mines in the end. Great skill. Not great for bosses, but more than enough (except for hardy Blight bosses).
Thought about incorporating chain somehow, but again, I couldn't be bothered. Pierce (from the tree) was good enough.

League mechanic was fun, but it was ill conceived in regards to server performance. It's no wonder blighted maps are so rare.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm never gonna beat uber elder at this rate. Can't stay alive long enough. And the fact that like atziri they can do their moves before you enter is such bs.

Entered my final portal and elder was already doing his double circle thing. Couldn't flame dash inside it before he 1 shot me. This game relies way too much on that bs mechanic.

Whatever I got my 24 challenges before hockey started at least.

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Don't move once you've zoned in. You have a grace period where you are effectively invulnerable, even invisible, to the boss. It's long enough that you shouldn't be hit by any lingering effects or beginning attacks. The timer for it is in the top left (or right?) of the screen.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
I'm never gonna beat uber elder at this rate. Can't stay alive long enough. And the fact that like atziri they can do their moves before you enter is such bs.

Entered my final portal and elder was already doing his double circle thing. Couldn't flame dash inside it before he 1 shot me. This game relies way too much on that bs mechanic.

Whatever I got my 24 challenges before hockey started at least.
What build were you using?

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
YEAH!!! Got my first Uber Elder kill ever. On last portal too.

100% of my attention span was dedicated to just keeping myself alive, and my slave driver spectres kinda killed the bosses on their own (~3mil combined dps). Couldn't have done it without their hyper-aggressive AI.

Tons of respect for people who deal damage themselves, I don't think I'd be able to do it without something insane like phasing the bosses with 1 attack.

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
One thing that's consistently bugged me about Blight, having failed my likely last blighted map just now because a single boss got through: if you have overwhelming DPS, towers don't matter, but you have so much time to build them up. If you don't have overwhelming DPS, you need the towers dearly, but you don't have any time to build and upgrade them.

I still enjoyed the mechanic in regular maps, outside of the few instances were portal locations screw you over or a stream of projectiles deletes you out of nowhere. Blighted maps however just highlight its shortcomings starkly.

I hope they refine it a lot more than they have past league mechanics, but I don't have high hopes.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing that's consistently bugged me about Blight, having failed my likely last blighted map just now because a single boss got through: if you have overwhelming DPS, towers don't matter, but you have so much time to build them up. If you don't have overwhelming DPS, you need the towers dearly, but you don't have any time to build and upgrade them.

I still enjoyed the mechanic in regular maps, outside of the few instances were portal locations screw you over or a stream of projectiles deletes you out of nowhere. Blighted maps however just highlight its shortcomings starkly.

I hope they refine it a lot more than they have past league mechanics, but I don't have high hopes.
It really needs to be more tower defense like, with more time between waves and a fast forward / start next wave now button.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It really needs to be more tower defense like, with more time between waves and a fast forward / start next wave now button.
Yeah, and I've never failed in a predictable way. Things are going great until suddenly a boss leap slams past all of your towers and instantly nukes the pump, or you get killed by incredible sudden damage from offscreen.

There's no real time for strategy, and if there were it's not very clear on how to mitigate certain mechanics (the boss that leaps over everything to kill the pump, for example).

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and I've never failed in a predictable way. Things are going great until suddenly a boss leap slams past all of your towers and instantly nukes the pump, or you get killed by incredible sudden damage from offscreen.

There's no real time for strategy, and if there were it's not very clear on how to mitigate certain mechanics (the boss that leaps over everything to kill the pump, for example).
I always try to build a Glacial Cage or Petrification tower specifically for that asshole.

I'd definitely prefer it if instead of an endless stream of monsters it was done more wave like for blighted maps. The basic Blight encounters are fine as-is barring the much more rare portal two steps from the pump spawns.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Got my necro up to 6k HP/5k shield with life leech doubled and applied to shield only. 75% phys damage reduction, 40% evasion, 10/10 dodge with a flask.

At this point it would take the stars aligning to kill me since I'm rarely hit. Feels good, gunna try to level to 98.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Got my necro up to 6k HP/5k shield with life leech doubled and applied to shield only. 75% phys damage reduction, 40% evasion, 10/10 dodge with a flask.

At this point it would take the stars aligning to kill me since I'm rarely hit. Feels good, gunna try to level to 98.

Got a PoB link? My necro has extreme DPS but nowhere near your EHP. ~8k life/ES comined with no phys reduction/evasion etc. Could use some ideas!

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
stupidly made a build that's delayed on HP so now i got to work around shit til i fix it. was too busy seeing how much chaos resistance i can get really early

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I got 3-4 ticked to death in less than a second during the Mastermind fight (my first ever attempt), with all of the defensive layers I listed above. Ugh lol

I've decided I'm not gunna do that fight again until I level to 98. Got close to 20 uber elders done and approaching delve 300, gunna see how far I can go.
Yeah, there is no way I can get close to that, I am running about 6k-7k EHP at the moment
I posted my PoB link above, sitting at a little over 11k EHP and about 9M total DPS with 15 zombies.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couple of (potentially dumb) questions about minions, and how stats work.

If I add a +% physical damage to an item, does it affect the minions?, if I add a % Phys damage leeched to an item, does it work off the damage the minions are doing.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017

If I add a +% physical damage to an item, does it affect the minions?, if I add a % Phys damage leeched to an item, does it work off the damage the minions are doing.

In order to affect minions, a stat has to specifically say so. Or "your allies", as minions are you allies BUT they are not your party members.

For example "minions have 20% increased movement speed" -stat. Leech only works on damage you yourself do, it doesn't take minion damage into account.

Necromantic Aegis (passive keystone near Scion start area) makes an exception to this rule.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In order to affect minions, a stat has to specifically say so. Or "your allies", as minions are you allies BUT they are not your party members.

For example "minions have 20% increased movement speed" -stat.

Necromantic Aegis (passive keystone near Scion start area) makes an exception to this rule.
Thanks, so any stat that doesn't specifically say minions or allies has no affect.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017

It has to say minions or allies.

There's a unique (The Baron) that lets zombies leech life to you, but otherwise leeched stuff just goes to your minions.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

% physical is often a local mod unless it says Global.

Most "increased BLAH" mods don't affect minions, unless the skill gem says minion damage is affected by BLAH (generally only minion mods affect minions). So even increased global phys probably won't affect minions.

Leech generally only applies to damage you do, and the leech is only for you (unless it explicitly says otherwise).

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So 'global' would include minions too?

I need to start paying more attention to the text!

edit : also, is there anywhere in game that tells you how much dmg your minions do?, or is it only available to see in something like PoB?

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
So 'global' would include minions too?

I need to start paying more attention to the text!

edit : also, is there anywhere in game that tells you how much dmg your minions do?, or is it only available to see in something like PoB?

No, "global" would mean it affects all of your damage sources. "Local" means it affects damage done by that weapon only for example. For example, if you are holding a 1-hander in both hands, and both have a local phys damage modifier of +75% increased physical damage. You don't get +150% to your attacks, you get +75% for attacks done by skills using weapon A, and +75% to attacks done by skills using weapon B.

However if you had two global +75% phys damage increases, your attacks would get +150% increased phys damage regardless of which weapon you use.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just have no motivation to keep pushing this league. The league just has no late game content worth pushing, it's just all about getting blighted maps and running them for shit returns.
Shame.

Hopefully one day they can top delve league.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah kinda expected it when they unveiled it. There was no real late game progression to build up to. Retention was always going to be poor this league.

That said 3.9 seems like a big league coming up so it should have some nice stuff in it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm pretty much done at level 98. I'll play here and there, will just be farming uber elder. I think I've done 20-30 so far.

I had a ton of fun this league. First time I stuck with one character.