• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying it, blight content seems tougher and more rewarding than pretty anything else I've played.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Cassia will be a nice addition to existing masters, IMO. Optional content for those who don't enjoy TD kind of thing, but can provide fun & nice rewards to those who do like it. Browsing through the aftermath of a blighted map is nice.

Also I realised just how intimidating I find T15+ legion encounters. 6 Maraketh rares with corrupted map speed + multiple damage mods chasing me is quite the thing.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cassia will be a nice addition to existing masters, IMO. Optional content for those who don't enjoy TD kind of thing, but can provide fun & nice rewards to those who do like it. Browsing through the aftermath of a blighted map is nice.

With a few tweaks to the TD system, they could make it (much) better, it's not 'bad' as it is now, with a little bit of work it could be great.

The rewards from a blighted map are, dare I say it, too much!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The blight tower defence stuff is kinda fun but the rewards seem pretty rubbish early on. Like every new season, I jump back in to try new builds out and see how it goes haha.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The blight tower defence stuff is kinda fun but the rewards seem pretty rubbish early on. Like every new season, I jump back in to try new builds out and see how it goes haha.
I assume you mean blight encounters in maps, rather than blighted maps, because they are certainly on 2 very distinct tiers in terms of loot (and difficulty).

I don't think blight encounters are bad per say, but with the very low drop rate of blighted maps, I think they should have some sort of risk/reward system added for in map encounters.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Overall pretty underwhelmed by blight TBH. The encounters are slow even when you try to speed them up and when you do get to the action it's hard to see anything. The blighted maps are another thing, just compounding to issue of there being too much loot IMO.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I read a strategy somewhere:

- 2x Scout Tower range ring enchant (scout = t4 minion tower)
- 3x -20% tower build & upgrade cost (total of -60%) on map
- Spam scout towers near pump & in other appropriate places

Even red blighted maps have been ez clear after that. Not many things get even within 1 screen of pump. Some of the bosses maybe.

Sometimes tower build locations can screw you over but it's manageable.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Even red blighted maps have been ez clear after that. Not many things get even within 1 screen of pump. Some of the bosses maybe.

Shit, I completely forgot about ring blight enchants.............

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

What about minion resistant monsters? They ignore the lvl 1-3 minions. I assumed they'd barely take damage from scouts as well.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
What about minion resistant monsters? They ignore the lvl 1-3 minions. I assumed they'd barely take damage from scouts as well.

I put down frostwall (t4 cold) and time slowing (t4 physical) towers here and there and deal with any stragglers myself.

I don't trust petrifying towers enough to use them. They seem to have been very bugged during the league and not working as intended. Fire and lightning towers have a bit short range so they don't have much time to kill enemies IMO. Enemy gets in range, pew pew oops walked past the tower already.

Goal of scout towers isn't to clear everything, it's to kill enough to control chaos. With range enchants their range is MASSIVE so they are very good at reducing enemy numbers. Everything is a lot more manageable when you have to worry about 2-4 minion lanes instead of full 20+. And the occasional boss that refuses to die.

Last edited:

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hm. Meteor towers have been serving me well in regars to thinning out hordes. Their default range is pretty nutty already. It's the bosses and barrages from ranged mobs that are the problem for me.
I should have used more petrifying towers as well, but as you said, scared of bugs. :/

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Ah well, I think the -60% cost is most important factor here, you can build almost TRIPLE the number of towers with that reduction. 2.5 technically but triple sounds fancier. It's cheap as well, 3 orange oils or something.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
So for the first time ever I have a shot at completing the atlas (all maps including uniques). But HOGM is the roadblock. I have time and currency to build a HOGM specific character, is there a build guide out there for farming it?

EDIT: I know I can pay for the service but I really want to do it myself. It's arbitrary in the end but I want that completion.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm that pure physical attack builds can work when I cleared it with my Berserker in Legion, assuming you can beat Uber Elder with such a build.

Apparently Scorching Ray builds are supposed to be ideal (and I can see why because there are so few ways to defend against Damage Over Time and Scorching Ray has built in fire resistance reduction on top of inflicting burn status to prevent ES characters from healing), but I never actually looked into how one would make the build for HoGM.

You should most definitely avoid Chaos damage based builds since many builds in HoGM were made during the time CI was at its best.

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yes, Scorching Ray is good. Unless your build is really squishy you can just buy a Balefire (1c in SC Blight) and switch to that if you encounter someone unkillable with your current skill.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with HOGM isn't dealing enough damage, it's just that you'll probably find a guy one shotting you out of nowhere
I remember people saying the best build for it was minion or totems??

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got my first locus of corruption room in the temple, what should I be looking at corrupting?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just got my first locus of corruption room in the temple, what should I be looking at corrupting?
If you can get a good Skin of the Loyal (with somewhat meta colors) then that can pay off HUGE. A max rolled Item quantity Sadima's Glove is also very good (can give +1 Frenzy and curse with Ele Weakness).

A more expensive gamble would be Rigwalds Quill. You could throw away multiple Exalts on this but chances are good that you can can make a ton of money off of it.

Aside from that any high in demand Unique amulet like Xophs Blood, Pandemonious, Eye of Chayula or whatever amulet the Necromancers are using these days. +1 curse is always busted.

Rings and Belts usually aren't worth it over other options. Some 2h weapons like Starforge/Disfavor can be good too but they are a bigger gamble as you need to have them 6 linked already (plus they aren't meta at the moment(. Boots like Kaoms Roots only have one really desirable roll which is Endurance Charge +1.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm that pure physical attack builds can work when I cleared it with my Berserker in Legion, assuming you can beat Uber Elder with such a build.

Apparently Scorching Ray builds are supposed to be ideal (and I can see why because there are so few ways to defend against Damage Over Time and Scorching Ray has built in fire resistance reduction on top of inflicting burn status to prevent ES characters from healing), but I never actually looked into how one would make the build for HoGM.

You should most definitely avoid Chaos damage based builds since many builds in HoGM were made during the time CI was at its best.

Yes, Scorching Ray is good. Unless your build is really squishy you can just buy a Balefire (1c in SC Blight) and switch to that if you encounter someone unkillable with your current skill.

The problem with HOGM isn't dealing enough damage, it's just that you'll probably find a guy one shotting you out of nowhere
I remember people saying the best build for it was minion or totems??

I have a bunch of HOGM maps to try different techniques. I was thinking scorching ray as well for the reasons listed. I've seen trappers as viable options too since you don't have to be anywhere near the action to get the job done. I'm going to try Balefire + shield combo first before I start a new character. My Static Strike Elementalist is pretty tanky with a stone golem up so I'll start with that.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Two things destroy people in HGOM:

Lack of defenses and lack of way to get around block characters.

The second one is an easy fix, you attach the "Block support" gem which you can get via simple vendor recipe. You will lose damage but it's better than doing 0 damage on some encounters.

The first one is trickier because a bunch of stuff can kill you. Generally for me it's anything Chaos or poison based that rips me up so definitely get that in (a pantheon can negate poison and a good amount of chaos resistance). Also ignites. Since you aren't killing a lot of monsters it's harder to have flask charges so you can't rely on poison/curse/burning immunity from flasks. There are also various annoying cats on damage taken characters that just blow you up when you hit them, usually are those characters with high block chance.

Any ranged, minion or trap strategy works well. Also avoid anything Chaos damage based since many characters are Chaos jmmune.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I've got a plan A, B, and C.
Plan A: Take my Static Strike Elementalist, slap a Balefire on her, get a decent shield, stand back and burn while doing my best to not get hit.

Plan B: Respec my cobra lash character to a saboteur (I have a bajillion regrets thanks to Blight encounters) and nuke the place with traps.

Plan C: Build a tanky AF Jugg with max end charges and focus on Scorching Ray and be able to stand and burn

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Ha, timeless conflict seems like a good way to lose money. I did a 3-way in Legion and a 4-way yesterday. Both times result was a couple of rares and some random currency. In 4-way I killed everything ~10 times at least. Well, maybe 5-slot map device is worth it? Dunno, ~400c for a 5-slot device seems like a lot. Maybe it's balanced HeadHunter parties in mind?

From now on I'll be selling all legion shards.

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ha, timeless conflict seems like a good way to lose money. I did a 3-way in Legion and a 4-way yesterday. Both times result was a couple of rares and some random currency. In 4-way I killed everything ~10 times at least. Well, maybe 5-slot map device is worth it? Dunno, ~400c for a 5-slot device seems like a lot. Maybe it's balanced HeadHunter parties in mind?

From now on I'll be selling all legion shards.
I think the progress in the supplemental parts of the gameplay in PoE are way, way too slow to progress, I mean legion shards weren't particularly common in legion proper, now they are rare as hens teeth, same with syndicate progress, it creeps up at a crawl.

Alva and Niko work well is sublimental mechanics, because neither require a huge amount of time to make them pay off, but the rest, not even worth trying.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, I managed to clear Hall of Grandmasters with an icicle miner (Plan B from before). It was hilariously easy. I had one scare where I dropped a forcefield too soon pre-mine drops but that was it. Loot wasn't great but that's not why I was there.

I can finally say I have completed the Atlas.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all think GGG would back up a POE streamer if they made pro Hong Kong comments? Have to remember that GGG is under Tencent now.

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
No, but then what would they do? Ban their account? Then what? If they officially sponsored someone they might drop them as a result, but they don't.

Haven't they tried to hire ZiggyD in some capacity? I never followed up on what that would have entailed. He could have gotten in trouble if he had accepted the job.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard banned one of their Pro Hearthstone players in China for speaking up for Hong Kong during a HS event. Not only did they remove him from the tournament circuit but garnished his winning money as well. They fired the two casters during the interview, removed the archived VOD and then disabled all comments on their forums, reddit etc. related to it.

It's a total shit show and showing once again how Blizzars cares first and foremost about money above all else.

The equivalent to GGG would be if during a POE racing event Zizaran (after already winning previous races and events) shows support for Hong Kong, they remove him from the race, nullify his previous achievements and earnings, fire ZiggD and RaizQT who were casting the event, then put the POE reddit on invite only lock down, remove the VOD of the event and disable any conversation about this fiasco on their forums. And then of course banned and deleted his various POE game accounts.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Banning a streamer would be pointless. They can just make a new account and all you have done is piss off your fans. Worst GGG can do is not send a free ExileCon ticket or something.

So I think GGG will shrug its shoulders and pretend it doesn't know what happens in Twitch.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Idk how far GGG would take it, but given the controlling interest of Tencent I'm pretty sure it would be similar, if not as extreme.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard banned one of their Pro Hearthstone players in China for speaking up for Hong Kong during a HS event. Not only did they remove him from the tournament circuit but garnished his winning money as well. They fired the two casters during the interview, removed the archived VOD and then disabled all comments on their forums, reddit etc. related to it.

It's a total shit show and showing once again how Blizzars cares first and foremost about money above all else.

The equivalent to GGG would be if during a POE racing event Zizaran (after already winning previous races and events) shows support for Hong Kong, they remove him from the race, nullify his previous achievements and earnings, fire ZiggD and RaizQT who were casting the event, then put the POE reddit on invite only lock down, remove the VOD of the event and disable any conversation about this fiasco on their forums. And then of course banned and deleted his various POE game accounts.

Damn

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Banning a streamer would be pointless. They can just make a new account and all you have done is piss off your fans. Worst GGG can do is not send a free ExileCon ticket or something.

So I think GGG will shrug its shoulders and pretend it doesn't know what happens in Twitch.
Can't they like IP ban users? I am sure if they hard wanted Zizaran to never stream POE again they would be able to.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
GGG would just do what Tencent tells them to do. The only hope is that PoE is not as high profile as Blizzard products to be noticed as much.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we just playing what ifs here, or are people considering boycotting PoE because of the Tencent thing?