• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I, for one, love moving really really fast. the absurdity makes me smile like no other and will be absolutely heartbroken if they dont let me zoom across maps.
I love it too and PoE would be worse without it.

But they need to put in more challenging content. Maybe white maps can stay as they are but yellow and red maps have stronger scaling for monsters.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
Can someone please put some gems in the box on blight standard (PC) in the 3rd guild stash tab, will pick up later.

Flame Golem, Spell Echo, Raise Spectre, Greater Multi-Projectile and a Multi-Totem Support.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Currency tab and the premium stash tab bundle are a really safe choice; Should also think about getting a Map tab down the line.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Stash tabs are on sale. As someone who has never bought any, which do I get?
Currency tab is almost mandatory.

Get some Premium stash tabs. Maybe one Quad tab.

I really like Divination card tab, Essence and Map tabs. The fragments tab is cool too though less needed.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hey, i just started playing this. I was thinking about buying some tabs too. I keep seeing information about waiting for supporter packs though.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, if you purchase a league specific supporter pack, you'll get some fancy mtx together with some points depending on the pack tier you purchased; eg: 300p for a 30$ pack.

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My brother just build a gaming PC and wanted to play this so I am trying to dive back in. (last played around when they expanded to 10 acts). Problem is this game is quite overwhelming for my brother and I am not doing the best job explaining it.

Is there a resource regarding recipes, how trading, currency & crafting works, end game progression through maps, different systems etc? Anything more succinct than clicking on links through the wiki?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I would have to disagree. My other half has been playing the console version, and the amount of help I have to give is ridiculous compared to other games. It's one thing I hope they improve for PoE 2 - the game is just way too daunting and coMoles for a beginner.

For example - why doesn't the game come with example builds for new players to follow?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think there are sample builds on the Chinese server for the flavor of the month classes. Not sure why they haven't brought that to main servers yet.

Island Your best bet is to start looking through Engineering Eternity YTvideos. Most of those topics are covered in there.

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think there are sample builds on the Chinese server for the flavor of the month classes. Not sure why they haven't brought that to main servers yet.

Island Your best bet is to start looking through Engineering Eternity YTvideos. Most of those topics are covered in there.
Thanks I will check it out.

My brother is used to playing complex games with overlapping systems (he understands Warframe to a ridiculous degree) but PoE kinda throws a lot at you right away without a lot of explanation. (he also would rather watch someone explain it, then read a thick tutorial) so the videos will be a good start.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The tutorial does have a lot of useful info but it's still a giant wall of text that they hurl at you and you will forget stuff 5 minutes later without reinforcement.

Like the tutorial explains increased/more modifiers as well as explicit/implicit item rolls which are both very crucial aspects of PoE character progression. However, if you skimmed over it then you won't really get how important these are.

Probably the other big hurdle is how much PoE changes within a single year. All those Atlas mechanics tutorials are going to be dumpstered in a month when we have a new Atlas. I can't even imagine the headache content creators going to go through scrapping all of their videos for PoE 2.

I also think that the extremely open ended nature of PoE makes it difficult to even get fundamental build making aspects.

Example: Most builds in PoE use a main skill, a movement skill, aura/curse skills, defensive skills (CWDT Steelskin etc) and support skills (totems, golems). However, a new player has no idea that these should be considered into builds so they are instead going around with 4 4 links in their build all of which act as main damage skills. They don't know that you are allowed to have one totem and one curse for free.

Another thing is that because of Diablo 3, a lot of new players fall into the trap of going too hard for main stats (Intelligence/Strength/Dex). These are all issues that are hard to solve without more deliberate direction by PoE.

Another basic primer on PoE:

Last edited:

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
yea, i'm trying hard to get into it but i'm overwhelmed lol

how important is trading? what items do you pick up? there is loot everywhere, so i just don't bother haha!

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
My brother just build a gaming PC and wanted to play this so I am trying to dive back in. (last played around when they expanded to 10 acts). Problem is this game is quite overwhelming for my brother and I am not doing the best job explaining it.

Is there a resource regarding recipes, how trading, currency & crafting works, end game progression through maps, different systems etc? Anything more succinct than clicking on links through the wiki?
POE Wiki is good for referential info (recipes, item info, terms, etc) but I really like Engineering Eternity's beginner guide series.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

how important is trading? what items do you pick up? there is loot everywhere, so i just don't bother haha!
If you don't wanna get stuck in the time sink that is trading, you could always play solo self found (no trading, self found items only), but you're most likely going to have a much tougher time in the endgame and have to farm more for less.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Well first thing is you need to get a loot filter if you don't have one already.

Trading I do for hard to get items obviously especially build defining uniques. You don't need trading to beat the game or even progress in the Atlas but it can speed up the process for Atlas progression by trading.

I would also install a Trade Macro which allows you to near instantly ascertain the value of an item. Sometimes you may get a shiny item from the loot filter and want to evaluate its price.

There's a whole long guide people make on trading fundamentals but this is something you kinda learn as you explore the game. You realize what is strong and valuable... and what isn't. Once you desire the real strong items and realize they are super pricey then you start to get a feel for the games economy. Some items are very strong and cheap while others not as strong but still very expensive.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
A note on trade macro, it likes to list the cheapest listings first and those are often ones listed by either players wanting to sell something quickly or players that want to list items in hopes that others will list at a similar price, so it's still good to manually check the range of prices on the trade site.

It also gives prices to rare items that nobody will be willing to purchase.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Stash tabs are on sale. As someone who has never bought any, which do I get?

First Time buyer here too and i bought currency tab and it changed my life. Def buy it!

For example - why doesn't the game come with example builds for new players to follow?

This so much! I was thinking that why dont they put peoples builds from forums to beginners for example and first builds. Community could vote for builds and you could just select interesting build from menu, it would show what nodes take on correct Peder, highlight gems you need for build and also items and links you need for build.

I am using absurd amounts of time just checking my phone constantly what gems i need, what node to take next etc.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Ziz play, the new gem system looks amazing for starting the game and possibly for new players, because there is so much room to experiment with all of the skills available and still be able to put supports in them.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
The Damnation Supporter Pack is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

Watching Ziz stream now

Also, Tie23 retierement in sad new :(

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Tie23's video was kind of memetastic. I'm not really sure if hes serious about retiring, or if he was just being weird.

Hes an incredible player, and watching him at exilecon was great. Hope the best for him.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Might be in for the white supporter pack, gotta see the new core packs first. Those wings are nice and I really like the weapon effect. Think it will look good with a prismatic herald.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Xoph Blood changes announced. It's not attached with lvl20 Ignite Prolif support gem. Big damage bonus as it also comes with 39% ignite damage and is a big clear boost.

Burning Arrow gem changed now has a stacking debuff that stacks up to 5 times and deals damage based on 30% of ignite damage.

RelaxedOtter

Oct 27, 2017
Golden oils probably going to be stupidly expensive.
Can't say that I'm happy that blight is going core at all, did not find the mechanic enjoyable at all. Can see how people liked the blighted maps though.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Clicked on that to read the manifesto and it turns out I got 4 of the twitch drops from the exilecon stream.

I probably shouldnt tell people that...

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Blight gives tons of mobs and loot so I will definitely be doing it. Doesn't take much longer than an Abyss or a Breach plus guaranteed Oil or Blighted Map drops is legit.

Mainly though this means that Oils are a permanent part of the game and you can make builds around the cheap/moderate options.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I like Blight going core, but I never experienced lag or technical issues with it. Blight doesn't take you out of the map so it goes nicely with the flow.

I wonder how many more 10% mechanics they can fit in a map.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Really dissapointed they are making Blight permanent. It is yet another mechanic you will see once a day that requires huge grinding to make it worthwhile with no way to focus on it effectively.

The game already has content and complexity far, far beyond any other ARPG in its end game. They absolutely have to stop adding more crap like this in. It's making the game worse.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I do think GGG needs to eventually address this and give players ability to select the map features in a more deterministic way. Or they need to cut less liked features (cough tormented spirits cough?).

But thankfully blight isn't replacing any content, it's another 10% map feature on the top of all other things.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they need to remove some trash like spirits, they even pollute other league mechanics like incursion. Fuck spirits.
Also maybe at some point "10%" should become "always get one picked at random", then maybe a 10% chance to have an extra other mechanic on top

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Clicked on that to read the manifesto and it turns out I got 4 of the twitch drops from the exilecon stream.

I probably shouldnt tell people that...
"
You have been awarded 1x Fire Wings
"
Im okay with this.

So good. PoE might have my favorite gaming tracks of all time

This one is probably my favorite ever

I want Synthesis back. Memory Nexus minigame of putting tiles together and chaining the Modifiers was really fun.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Killed 56 Shapers in Standard so far trying to get the hideout. I don't think I'll get it but I would regret not trying since this is the only chance I get before the encounter becomes rare.