• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
My current group is 5e, which is fine, but I'd love to find one running PF2 once it comes out. 5e just doesn't feel like it has enough options. And I really like what I've heard of PF2: the action economy, class feats, multiclassing, etc.

I mean, I can't even get a feat in 5e without giving up on stat boosts. Although I do wish warlocks were in PF somewhere.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Short of WotC and Paizo showing their actual Dnd4e and Pathfinder sales and subscription, ICv2 is most likely the only public source of info regarding tabletop sales. Paizo's subscription btw stems from the same Dragons and Dungeon magazine subscriptions back when they were WotC's Dnd publishing arm so its actually pretty huge than you would expect.

There are actually times before Dnd5th edition when the sales and mindshare of Pathfinder was so much better than Dnd4, that it was only on 3rd place.
It's the only public source of info but it's still nearly useless. Again, it's an informal poll of hobby shops. Extrapolating like this is really not much different from saying that this Era poll indicates that the Last Jedi was not a critically successful movie. Conventional bookstore sales were and are a big deal for Dungeons & Dragons, being almost the entire public face of the tabletop RPG hobby.

Then of top of how useless this poll is, you cherry-pick a quarter where Wizards didn't release any books for the line. You originally said:
Pathfinder routinely ties or beat DnD(all versions combined) in sales from 2009 to up until Dnd5 was released
But if you look at a compilation of ICv2 results, Pathfinder doesn't tie D&D 4E until 2010 with the release of Essentials, and doesn't surpass D&D until Q2 2011, when 4E releases are down to a bare few Player's Option and campaign setting books. So even if you put stake in this crap data set, isn't the reasonable conclusion to draw from it "Essentials and lack of product were what hurt 4E"?

Dnd4e's skill challenges require the DM to create subsets of skills tagged as primary and secondary which have a +5 DC penalty iirc, often w/o the players knowledge. That in itself encourages the player to waste time looking up, hoping and guessing w/c of the skills they have is on that DM's primary skills list, instead of you know coming-up with an actual creative solution and have the DM wing it. In 5e, Pathfinder, 3.5/3e, you could forego the usual social primary skills like Diplomacy and Nobility and use Profession(soldier or cook or blacksmith) all without worrying about a DC penalty hovering above their choice.
This is exactly what I'm complaining about.

Skill challenges are an explicitly optional way that a DM can structure an out-of-combat challenge as an encounter to overcome. How is having "the DM wing it" a meaningful solution provided by these other editions? How is winging it not possible in 4th Edition? The same rules for the same kinds of rolls as 5th Edition are there. The same option to be creative and do whatever you want with the skills list is there.

So why is being badly suited for social intrigue a point of contention against 4E instead of Dungeons & Dragons in general?

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
It's the only public source of info but it's still nearly useless. Again, it's an informal poll of hobby shops. Extrapolating like this is really not much different from saying that this Era poll indicates that the Last Jedi was not a critically successful movie. Conventional bookstore sales were and are a big deal for Dungeons & Dragons, being almost the entire public face of the tabletop RPG hobby.

Then of top of how useless this poll is, you cherry-pick a quarter where Wizards didn't release any books for the line. You originally said:

I picked that specific ICv2 2012 report merely to illustrate how far Dnd4 has gone fell even during its active stage. Its not Paizo's fault that WotC doesn't seem to want to invest more on a 'relatively' failed product line at such an early point in its life. If i were really cherry-picking, I couldve chosen late 2013 or early 2014 when FLGS were dumping Dnd4 products in preparation for Dnd5 but thats not the point i was making.

But if you look at a compilation of ICv2 results, Pathfinder doesn't tie D&D 4E until 2010 with the release of Essentials, and doesn't surpass D&D until Q2 2011, when 4E releases are down to a bare few Player's Option and campaign setting books. So even if you put stake in this crap data set, isn't the reasonable conclusion to draw from it "Essentials and lack of product were what hurt 4E"?

You would think that the release of an important supplement like Essentials would have boosted Dnd4 sales and mindshare in 2010 but nooOOOoo. WotC pissing-off and fragmenting its Dnd4 playerbase notwithstanding you're selling Pathfinder short here as it has been on an upward trajectory in 2010 because of the Advance Player Guide supplement(i thought this was released 2009 hence my earlier remark on sales). Its what sold the Pathfinder RPG to Dnd3/3.5 people like me (most were sold on the Golarion setting with their Adventure Paths earlier). Six new classes plus the concept of Archetypes? Going back to Prestige classes has never been tougher.

Also, Paizo's normal aggressive product release schedule has always been bonkers even when you compare it to Dnd4 heyday. They churn setting materials, maps, modules, card-games based on said modules etc. like a dozy on top of their Adventure Paths and rulebooks.

This is exactly what I'm complaining about.

Skill challenges are an explicitly optional way that a DM can structure an out-of-combat challenge as an encounter to overcome.

How is having "the DM wing it" a meaningful solution provided by these other editions? How is winging it not possible in 4th Edition? The same rules for the same kinds of rolls as 5th Edition are there. The same option to be creative and do whatever you want with the skills list is there.

So why is being badly suited for social intrigue a point of contention against 4E instead of Dungeons & Dragons in general?

Yeah but only Dnd4 have such a hyped-up mechanic like skill challenges that is a core part of its non-combat encounter that in practice actually stifles player role-playing and creativity in the area it was designed for like social intrigue. For a core mechanic, it gets waived a lot. In addition, Dnd4 NPC guidelines seem to be more geared towards combat roles compared to say Dnd3/3.5/Pathfinder who actually have detailed non-combat NPC classes. Even Dnd5 with its general lack of rules and details compared to Dnd4 offers more useful guidelines (ie. interaction traits and Talents (Expert cook!)) in creating non-combat NPC characters.

DM's need to 'wing-it' or homebrew a whole lot more in Dnd4 just to create a meaningful non-combat encounter (for our Dnd4 game, our DM ignored skill challenges, reintroduced Professions back(as PC and NPC backgrounds), set baseline interactions/alignment, spam Bard and Fighter classes for most of the NPCs and im probably forgetting some more) compared to its Dnd peers.

OP
OP
Feeroper

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
D&D 4e had an interesting take on D&D but it definitely felt different at the time. I played quite a bit of 4e from its early days right to its end, and Pathfinder from the beginning as well. I did a lot of organized play for both systems, and a couple of stores I DM/GM'ed at scheduled both PF and D&D4e during the same time slots - it was difficult. There was often lots of arguing and name calling between the 2 groups. The edition wars were very intense. Despite the smaller base of players overall, I have always found the edition wars of D&D to be far more vicious than the console wars.

However, Pathfinder did indeed displace D&D for a brief period of time back in those days. D&D 4e brought some new blood into the hobby, but it was hemorrhaging more and more as time went on. They were absolutely burying the system in a non-stop parader of releases that made it difficult to keep up with.

However, WotC learned their lesson with 4e - it was an important edition to go through. D&D 5e was the phoenix at the other end. This current edition has taken off into the stratosphere. It is one of my favorite editions (I've played regularly since 2e but have played every edition). You can find the DNA of just about every edition, including 4th, in the current edition. Some may like it, some may not, but I think they really nailed it with this one.

Back to the topic on hand though, Pathfinder is about to release 2e. I am personally very excited for it and I love the Golarion setting, but I dont expect it to dethrone D&D again. WotC was smart with 5e and embraced streaming and live play videos early on while Paizo largely ignored that so they are currently playing catch up in that regard. That said, I still think Paizo can be a solid 2nd place and continue to do well for themselves. They are a very good game company with a strong pedigree. It would be a shame for WotC not to have any competition after all.

I'm heading to Gen Con this year and will be playing all the PFS scenarios for 2e and am going to give it a good shake when I get home with Fall of Plaguestone and depending on how well its received, we may try to do the Age of Ashes AP.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Love Pathfinder 1e, still have multiple campaigns going with it.

Was excited about 2e when hearing about the playtest, tried it out, couldn't stand it. I like my more detailed system, and they went the opposite way with 2e, way simplified.

Now I've heard they have made a lot of changes from the playtest, like throwing away Resonance (thank God), but the base system is still very much simplified from 1e, so I am still very skeptical.

However, I will be attending GenCon and will at least pick up the Core Rulebook, and one or two of my friends probably will as well, and we will talk it over with the rest of our gaming group and decide if we want to give it a shot.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
It's out today.

I will have my full review out when Gen Con opens its doors (in honor of tradition), but there are a lot of things to like post-playtesting. I like its simplicity in getting started and the multitude of build and gameplay options down the line. Interested in seeing how late-game content will be balanced, but there's nothing glaringly awful to me.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
It's out today.

I will have my full review out when Gen Con opens its doors (in honor of tradition), but there are a lot of things to like post-playtesting. I like its simplicity in getting started and the multitude of build and gameplay options down the line. Interested in seeing how late-game content will be balanced, but there's nothing glaringly awful to me.

Man, I can't wait for my books to arrive. I've been waiting with excitement for many months now.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
It's out today.

I'm excited to see your review. It sounds like this will be an interesting read. I didn't pre order, but if the class skills and builds are interesting, I might have to order a copy soon.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Moving from Pathfinder to 5e was like a breath of fresh air. We started a Starfinder campaign recently and good lord you get bogged down in stats and rules.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Pathfinder only exists because D&D 4th edition was such a radical departure that a huge chunk of the players refused to play it and so an alternative more 'classic' system based on D&D 3/3.5 from the Dragon/Dungeon magazine license holder sprung up to fill that need. With D&D 5e being such a humongous success, I'm not sure what the market is for this anymore, despite their good intentions.

If you're a Paizo loyalist then I get it. If they 'scratch different itches' for you as OP suggests then cool, but it doesn't really for me. If I were going to play more than one game, I'd want something that compliments my D&D game in a different way, like a superhero or space game, not another fantasy game. Just me maybe.

I personally feel that their resources are better spent on Starfinder or maybe developing something totally different. I mean with how massive Superhero movies are these days, why don't we have a killer superhero system out there that's as big as D&D or whatever? That's something to look into.

One other thing. One thing I like about the D&D 5e landscape is the limited amount of bloat. Pathfinder is bloat at every turn. There's a constant stream of thick books coming out with every kind of crunch imaginable and it quickly becomes cumbersome. We are going to be seeing that all over again with their 2e.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
If you're super into 3.75 style, I get it, but with 5 being so flexible and popular, I have a hard time imagining this will make much of a splash.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Still havent got my CRB. Differences between 5e and PF2e for those interested:

Some things i like:
- Chunky flat proficiency bonuses(+2). The power-gamer in me is excited. Advantage/Disadvantage (Fortune/Misfortune) streamlines a lot of things but it never gives me and my character that sense of power and progression like a flat bonus do.
- Streamlining the action economy(3 actions and a reaction). PF2 does look like it have streamlined rules . . . . just not math-wise.
- Feats and moar feats.
- Non-magical peeps able to lead magical Rituals via the appropriate skills.

Some things i'm a bit iffy:
- I love drowning in character options ie. feats but why separate Ancestry feats from the General feats? Just give me a couple of General or Skill feats and/or specific skill bonuses to reflect my character's backstory. Thats it. I don't want to draw from it moving forward from the start of the Adventure.
- Dedication-based multiclassing sounds similar to PF1's variant multiclassing. Not a big fan but im curious how it works.

Some things i dont like:
- Spontaneous casters unable to heighten their spells without relearning them or putting them on Signature skills. This is bs. Just make it cost more spell slots instead.
- That change to two-weapon fighting is concerning.

. . . . overall the rules looks good. Still, im more excited about the setting and adventure paths. That's always been Paizo's forte.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The archives of nethys just updated with the 2e rules so anyone who wants to give them a look before buying or just needs a reference some rules without having to crack open the books(the bestiary info isn't done yet but hopefully should be in a couple of days).

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Posted in the Tabletop Gaming Hangout; I'll include here as well.

I haven't gone over everything yet, of course, but I've done a few deep-dives.

There are fewer skills at first glance (yay?). Also, skill proficiency seems to have been simplified to categories: Untrained, Trained, Expert, Master, Legendary. Not sure what those do, but OK, fine. The skill check formula references a "proficiency bonus" but I can't find it (that just might be a problem with the SRD). The skill descriptions are broken down into actions, which makes some sense because skill descriptions have always included rules for use cases. Now that's been made explicit. Well, these actions have traits. For example, the Impersonate action of the Deception skill has a "Secret" trait, which just means the DM rolls the check behind the screen so the player can't know the outcome.

You can see what's going on here -- PF2 is built to be modular. This is all confusing at first (Impersonate also has an "Exploration" trait. . . wha? oh, that just means it takes time to use) but with familiarity this makes the system more resilient against future bloat. As you remember the traits, the game can grow considerably just by re-arranging them.

The problem I see is that the system already feels bloated. The class progression tables are absolutely packed with features, but a lot of them are incremental. Here's one for cleric, traditionally considered one of the more straightforward classes:

4th-level spells, general feat, skill increase, third doctrine​

That's not overly complex if you're progressing a regular PC, but it adds up for DMs. If you're starting an NPC cleric at 7th level, you have twenty-five class features & upgrades to process. In 5E, it's just seven.
Another case, I went over the weapons list and by far the most important question is, "How much damage does it do?" Well, here are the ones I saw that deal 1d4 damage:

Fist, Clan Dagger, Dagger, Gauntlet, Katar, Light Mace, Sickle, Spiked Gauntlet, Staff​

. . . and that's just the simple weapons. They have different properties such as damage type and "bulk", but these aren't going to be important in most cases, so it's kind of like shopping among 50 different brands of shampoo, all made by Proctor & Gamble. Weapons have traits as well (finesse, reach, etc.), to make one 1d4 weapon distinctive from another. That's fine, 5E does the same thing, but 5E has only ten weapon properties. PF2 has thirty-five. Some of these are unique; for example, the sawtooth saber is literally the only weapon with the "Twin" trait. They made it a trait anyway in case someone makes a new weapon with that trait, but how often will that be, and in the meantime, who's going to remember what that trait does? In addition, apparently "Deadly" and "Fatal" are distinctly different traits. With my memory being what it is, I'm going to have trouble with that.

To reiterate, this is still rather preliminary, but it feels like longevity was ironically prioritized over what it needs to ensure it'll take off at all -- learning curve and gameplay depth. So far it looks like Paizo has created a very efficient confetti-sorting system, having lost sight of the fact that it's not really fun to sort confetti -- you're supposed to mindlessly toss handfuls of the stuff.
Oh, I'm sure the modular structure is going to pay dividends in the coming years. However, it's not always the simplest approach, so the trait system at times feels less like solid design and more like fealty. See, while the concept is simple, it really comes down to remembering what the traits do. It reminds me of my coding days and object-oriented programming. The concept of object properties & methods is simple, but to do anything, you have to memorize those properties and methods. I think 35 weapon traits is already overkill for a core release, but will they (and all those 3rd-party sources) have the discipline to not go nuts pushing out yet more traits? Will every unique characteristic get shoved into its own trait, just to conform to the system? What if one splatbook cites a trait that's defined in another splatbook? OK, a lot of this is speculative, maybe even overreacting, but they really set the precedent with that sawtooth saber. One weapon does one thing, boom, new trait, and now you've put the item and what it does in different places. Robust code isn't always readable code, and this is a game, not Java.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
My group is perpetually locked into D&D 3.5.

Too much money invested in books and campaign modules over the years.

Nobody wants to move on.

...And I'm OK with that...

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
I steal liberally from my 3/3.5 edition books but it's just too much for me after playing more rules light systems. Still amazing sources though.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
There are fewer skills at first glance (yay?). Also, skill proficiency seems to have been simplified to categories: Untrained, Trained, Expert, Master, Legendary. Not sure what those do, but OK, fine. The skill check formula references a "proficiency bonus" but I can't find it (that just might be a problem with the SRD). The skill descriptions are broken down into actions, which makes some sense because skill descriptions have always included rules for use cases. Now that's been made explicit. Well, these actions have traits. For example, the Impersonate action of the Deception skill has a "Secret" trait, which just means the DM rolls the check behind the screen so the player can't know the outcome.
Proficiency is +0 for untrained and +2(plus level) for trained then plus 4, 6, and 8 for each level of proficiency. The nice thing is this applies to just about everything you role a d20 for(no more 1/2 bab and add 1/3 of your level to saves or w/e).

Another case, I went over the weapons list and by far the most important question is, "How much damage does it do?" Well, here are the ones I saw that deal 1d4 damage:

Fist, Clan Dagger, Dagger, Gauntlet, Katar, Light Mace, Sickle, Spiked Gauntlet, Staff​

. . . and that's just the simple weapons. They have different properties such as damage type and "bulk", but these aren't going to be important in most cases, so it's kind of like shopping among 50 different brands of shampoo, all made by Proctor & Gamble. Weapons have traits as well (finesse, reach, etc.), to make one 1d4 weapon distinctive from another. That's fine, 5E does the same thing, but 5E has only ten weapon properties. PF2 has thirty-five. Some of these are unique; for example, the sawtooth saber is literally the only weapon with the "Twin" trait. They made it a trait anyway in case someone makes a new weapon with that trait, but how often will that be, and in the meantime, who's going to remember what that trait does? In addition, apparently "Deadly" and "Fatal" are distinctly different traits. With my memory being what it is, I'm going to have trouble with that.
Personally I'm waiting for more weapons(and the occasional extra trait), but for players you only really need to know the traits for the weapons you are using and some of them are pretty self explanatory(thrown 20 ft should not be hard to figure out). Might be a bigger problem for the gm, but not much if you are building a character a head of time and can just note what the traits do and in the event you are building one on the spot the weapons and trait description are only a few pages apart at most.