• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
OivUrlB.png

• Release Date: September 25th, 2018
  • Developer: Owlcat Games
  • Publisher: Deep Silver
  • Platform(s): PC (Steam & GOG)
  • Price(s): $39.99

GKCTul0.png

With the help of over 18,000 Kickstarter backers, Narrative Designer Chris Avellone and composer Inon Zur, Owlcat Games is proud to bring you the first isometric computer RPG set in the beloved Pathfinder tabletop universe. Pathfinder: Kingmaker puts you in the role of a brave adventurer fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil! Take on the role of a canny fighter hacking through enemies with an enchanted sword, a powerful sorceress blessed with magic by the hint of demon blood in her veins, a wise cleric of gods benevolent or malignant, a witty rogue ready to defuse even the deadliest of traps, or any of countless other heroes. The only limit is your imagination!

vPwdryY.png

TJDkWA8.png

The Game World

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is the first single-player computer RPG based on the acclaimed Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. The game invites players to Golarion, a world rich with history, mystery, and conflict, and gives players the chance to claim part of this world as their own.

Gif_01_V2_-_Copy.jpg

The Story
In the north lies the Stolen Lands, a region that has been contested territory for centuries. Hundreds of kingdoms have risen and fallen in these lands, and now it is time for you to make your mark—by building your own kingdom! To do so, you'll need to survive the harsh wilderness and the threat of rival nations… as well as threats within your own court.

Gif_04_-_Copy.jpg

Your Kingdom
The game adapts the Kingmaker adventure path because it features a host of open-world mechanics, allowing players to experience the story at their own pace as they explore the Stolen Lands, which will challenge you as both an adventurer and a ruler.

Gif_03.jpg

Most importantly, the game allows you to claim these lands as your own, letting you carve your own kingdom from the wilderness. While classic dungeon crawling and exploration lie at the heart of this adventure, diplomacy, politics, and the ability to lead troops in the field are also part of the challenge. Choose your allies well, and keep them close while exploring ancient tombs and ruins—and while dealing with politics in your own court.

R3yaR8I.png

Companions

bADvFdL.png

The Stolen Lands is a dangerous place! Fortunately, you will meet other brave adventurers on your quest, who will fight by your side or who may ultimately choose to betray you, depending on your actions. They all have their own story, their own goals and motivations, their own reasons to join you...or to leave you. They do NOT need to be in your party for this to happen as companions are living people that don't stop existing just because you leave them home. The story can change considerably depending on your party composition. Companions can be assigned to act as advisors to serve your fledgling kingdom and some are available as potential love interests as well.

In addition to the companions listed below, the player may create her own custom party should she wish to. You can take five companions with you in a party at one time, for a total of six characters.

What the Press Says

"In the pantheon of CRPGs, Pathfinder: Kingmaker feels like a throwback to the classics more than a modern reinvention like Divinity: Original Sin. Mishulin estimates that the main story will take at least 40 hours to complete, and an additional 80 hours for all the side content and kingdom building. My time with Kingmaker reminded me of the wonder and unknowing potential of a good tabletop campaign, but I'm also left unsure if its stories will be enough to deal with its muddy combat for dozens of hours." - PCGamer

"For anyone who enjoys roleplaying as a virtuous champion or malicious evildoer, benevolent ruler or militaristic tyrant, Pathfinder: Kingmaker should provide dozens of hours full of adventure and consequential decision-making. I'm mainly excited to just take my sweet time reading all the enchanting dialogue as I chat with my companions, and trying to make everyone in my kingdom like me." - GamesRadar

"Admittedly there was a lot of information to take in during my short demo with Pathfinder: Kingmaker, but all the same, I walked away impressed. It's a game made for die-hard tabletop enthusiasts and CRPG faithful but there's enough care put into it that newcomers won't be totally scared off. For me at least, there was enough to entice me and want to learn the various systems once the game comes out proper on September 25th." - RPGSite

"The world is standard fantasy fare (the way Pathfinder often is) and at first glance the world looks like any number of fictional places with the standard amount of spiders, dragons, and wizards. What makes Pathfinder: Kingmaker special is that the game feels like a tabletop come to life, not just in design, but the breadth of possibilities at the player's fingertips. " - COG Connected

Media

System Requirements

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Celeron 1037U @ 1.80GHz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000
    • Storage: 30 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
    • Storage: 30 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card

FAQ
Q: Why no reviews yet?
A: The devs spent every day they have before the release to improve something, so the final build was only created yesterday (22th September).

Q: How close does the game follow the pen&paper Pathfinder rules?
A: Very close, as much as the CRPG format allows it.

Q: How's the combat?
A: The combat system is real-time with pause, with the option to auto-pause after each real-time "turn".

Q: Is there voice acting?
A: Yes, in the most important conversations.

Q: Is there romance?
A: Yes, there are 4 romanceable companions, 2 of them bisexual.

Q: Is there multiplayer?
A: No, it's a single-player experience.

Q: Is there DM tools/editors?
A: There is currently no plan for that.

Q: How many classes are there?
A: There are 14 regular classes with 6 prestige ones.

Q: Is the kingdom management necessary?
A: It's part of the main story, but you can also set it to automation.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm excited to play but I assume it uses a Dungeons and Dragons ruleset which I have no knowledge of so it should be interesting.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
I'd never heard of Pathfinder before I backed this but the classes and stuff seamed a lot like Baldurs gate and NWN so I'm assuming it's based off D&D.

Can't wait to play this, I love base/kingdom building aspects in games.

Is it known when backers get our keys?

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I backed this on Kickstarter but haven't really followed it since then. I have no idea when I'll get around to playing it.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Ran though the Kingmaker campaign years ago and it was incredibly good up until a mechanically oppressive final stretch - here's hoping this version retunes that stuff, because the rest is great.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I had a Kingmaker group that got up to the midsection of the campaign (book 4 I think?) before falling apart. Needless to say I kickstarted this in an instant so I could finish out the campaign in some form. Looks solid so far... very excited to get started!

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I always love the stronghold mechanics in these kinds of games even though they're usually half-assed. Early feedback on the kingdom building mechanics in this have been positive, so I'm all in.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
A few more previews popped up in the past several hours.

GameSpot (interview)
Pathfinder is a household name for those familiar with world of role-playing games, but the uninitiated should know that the franchise has been a marvel in the tabletop space. With Pathfinder: Kingmaker, the series makes its video game debut--it's based on the Kingmaker module using Dungeons and Dragons rulesets from its tabletop counterpart. But since this is a single-player RPG, Pathfinder would need a robust narrative to bring its world to life, which is why developer Owlcat Games teamed up with one of gaming's great storytellers, Chris Avellone.

Daily Star
Pathfinder: Kingmaker feels like a genuine collaborative effort and one that isn't just a quick cash-in on the nostalgia surrounding classical RPGs. While definitely a homage, having an enriched setting, kingdom-building systems, and a focus on character-driven stories allows Kingmaker to stand out as one of the most exciting roleplaying games of 2018.

GameBlog.fr
Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a nice surprise. This is clearly not a slap in the genre, but it's still a delightful moment when you're an old-school RPG fan. From a depth unfathomable, the desire to do well on the part of developers to transcribe a real atmosphere of role playing paper is almost palpable. Too bad the fight does not follow and is so messy. If Pathfinder Kingmaker had a turn-based mode, we would have in hand an RPG that could climb directly on the podium of the genre. The title is no less well made and it will have something to delight the players.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I really wish this wasn't releasing on literally the same day as Valkyria Chronicles 4

i'm interested in it but between that and still being super addicted to path of exile at the moment I just can't see myself playing it anytime soon,and if I don't play a game on release I don't tend to play it at all

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Ahaha, I never thought I'd see the Dragon Disciple in anything other than Neverwinter Nights. That's great.

This game is really tempting me, between the kingdom management stuff and its D&D-as-hellness. Hope it's good.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The camping system seems interesting. Seems like you can hunt for rations, make camp camouflage so you'll be less likely getting attacked by monsters while resting, and guards to make sure you're not getting surrounded, etc. It's also quite lively in the camp, with everyone doing their job and bantering with each other. It's not a simple fade to black like in recent Obsidian RPGs.

More here:

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
We have a Q&A out to the devs and should hopefully have it posted on Wccftech sometime tomorrow or Tuesday.

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
Hopefully they'll add more Races down the line or something. Ratfolk, Kobolds and Tengus go.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty excited for this. I know nothing about Pathfinder lore, but I'll play pretty much anything that Avellone is attached to, especially if it's a CRPG.

Subbed!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The camping system seems interesting. Seems like you can hunt for rations, make camp camouflage so you'll be less likely getting attacked by monsters while resting, and guards to make sure you're not getting surrounded, etc. It's also quite lively in the camp, with everyone doing their job and bantering with each other. It's not a simple fade to black like in recent Obsidian RPGs.

More here:

Sounds similar to the system used in Expeditions: Viking, assuming you need to search for supplies too. It's a very involved game.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I am really hoping for the best from this as I love CRPGs and we need more from them. The last time I saw this previewed was back in April of this year so hopefully they've made quite a few improvements as it looked really rough back then.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Super interested to see how the campaign plays out and the amount of variation.

Lots of Avellone instead of just small bits of games should be nice too as long as it's accurate.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Sounds similar to the system used in Expeditions: Viking, assuming you need to search for supplies too. It's a very involved game.
It's a mostly trivial system in Expeditions: Viking that you can mostly ignore with the auto-assign function. Hope it's a bit more involved in this game because it is a cool concept.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
I've just registered my Kickstarter key on GOG. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Has anyone already thought about party composition for your first run?

My plan is currently as follows:
1. PC: elf wizard, neutral good
2. Octavia: half-elf wizard/rogue/arcane trickster, chaotic good
3. Nok-Nok: goblin rogue, lawful evil
4. Harrim: dwarven cleric, chaotic neutral
5. Amiri: human barbarian, chaotic neutral / Valerie: human fighter, lawful neutral
6. Jubilost: gnome alchemist, chaotic neutral / Linzi: halfling bard, chaotic good
As you can see, I haven't decided between Amiri and Valerie and between Jubilost and Linzi yet, will have to see them in game to decide.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
The fact the pre-load is 64 bytes and currently bugged doesn't inspire much from technical side of things but I'm fully there tomorrow. Got the game for 36$ CAD from Fanatical (ex Bundle Stars) it was a ROW key though.

I really want to play more on the evil side of things considering they said it was possible and it wouldn't carry the penalty usually associated with it in these kind of games.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Looking forward to this, hope it's the next BG or next Original Sin type critical and commercial success.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Looks cool, I may buy it if I can finish some other games first. Question: If I wanted to dive into the lore behind this game, where would be a good place to start? I've never played the Pathfinder tabletop game.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Looks cool, I may buy it if I can finish some other games first. Question: If I wanted to dive into the lore behind this game, where would be a good place to start? I've never played the Pathfinder tabletop game.
Me neither. But I'm planning to go in blind and learn the lore as I play.

It seems that the game explains it pretty well as well with notes in dialogue and such. Here for an example.

Last edited:

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
How long is this game gonna be? I find something like Tyranny/Shadowrun to be perfect in length. I wish more dev would make RPGs around 20-40 hrs long.

That said, I appreciate how crpgs are always priced cheaper than most games with tons of contents.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly curious how the writing/quest design will be. After Divinity: Original Sin 2 the bar is hella high; not just in sheer quality, but the style of it (DOS2 has a very distinct emotive dialog system that's fantastic for roleplaying).
Me neither. But I'm planning to go in blind and learn the lore as I play.

It seems that the game explains it pretty well as well with notes in dialogue and such. Here for an example.
Thank goodness Tyranny's tooltip thing is getting around. That game had so many good ideas.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll dive in with a Lawful Evil wizard just to see how much content they put in for a non-Lawful Good party. and so I can hum Palpatine's theme while playing

Chaotic Neutral could be interesting too.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
How long is this game gonna be? I find something like Tyranny/Shadowrun to be perfect in length. I wish more dev would make RPGs around 20-40 hrs long.

That said, I appreciate how crpgs are always priced cheaper than most games with tons of contents.
It's around 40 hours for main story, and 80 hours for everything.

Thank goodness Tyranny's tooltip thing is getting around. That game had so many good ideas.
Right, tooltips. That's the word that I was looking for lol.

Anyway, the game is available for pre-load now, 20.9 GB.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, I never heard of this. I'm not too well-versed in D&D but I always found it interesting. I'll have to look into this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, OP.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm mostly curious how the writing/quest design will be. After Divinity: Original Sin 2 the bar is hella high; not just in sheer quality, but the style of it (DOS2 has a very distinct emotive dialog system that's fantastic for roleplaying).

Fully agree, very elegant way to avoid lore dumps.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if its possible to start this game on a Mac, and then use the save game to continue on a windows PC? Never tried gaming on a Mac, but I currently do not have other options :P