• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
m.dw.com

German abattoir outbreak tops 1,000 cases – DW – 06/20/2020

Officials in northwestern Germany have insisted the wider community is not yet at risk. But they complain that they've lost trust in the country's largest meat processing firm over delays in contacting staff.

Live imitating art, just crazy. The meat workers live in a own community, which is completely shut off now. You can find more info german news-sites...

May 17, 2019
m.dw.com

German abattoir outbreak tops 1,000 cases – DW – 06/20/2020

Officials in northwestern Germany have insisted the wider community is not yet at risk. But they complain that they've lost trust in the country's largest meat processing firm over delays in contacting staff.

Live imitating art, just crazy. The meat workers live in a own community, which is completely shut off now. You can find more info german news-sites...

That's crazy as hell and just as fascinating

benj

Oct 27, 2017
this game is incredible. only at the beginning of day 3, head over heels. I very much expect to be shown that I've somehow made some kind of irrecoverable error already, but that's fine.

I've been avoiding spoilers, but I gotta ask: Should I be carrying tinctures around with me, or leaving them in storage?

something very special about coming to this after bouncing out of RDR2, which also has purposeful + enforced slowness but uses it to zero interesting effect.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
this game is incredible. only at the beginning of day 3, head over heels. I very much expect to be shown that I've somehow made some kind of irrecoverable error already, but that's fine.

I've been avoiding spoilers, but I gotta ask: Should I be carrying tinctures around with me, or leaving them in storage?

something very special about coming to this after bouncing out of RDR2, which also has purposeful + enforced slowness but uses it to zero interesting effect.
I kept one of each kind always one me.

May 17, 2019
Patho2 got a Critical Distance Compilation

www.critical-distance.com

Pathologic

Critical Distance is proud to present the first in its 2020 series of Critical Compilations: Ice-Pick Lodge’s cult classic Pathologic and its sequel, Pathologic 2. This compilation is curated…

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Had no idea this had launched on PS4.

A question then regarding performance: how's the framerate/frame pacing on PS4 Pro? I'm in the market for a new laptop but am unlikely to shell out for a particularly high spec. Should I get the console version or Steam?

May 17, 2019
Had no idea this had launched on PS4.

A question then regarding performance: how's the framerate/frame pacing on PS4 Pro? I'm in the market for a new laptop but am unlikely to shell out for a particularly high spec. Should I get the console version or Steam?

The console versions were outsourced and handled horribly. I would recommend steam

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Recently read this piece from bullet points that offered a interesting perspective in support of the nocturnal ending. I went back and did both so I remain unsure if I prefer one over the other as the canon choice, but I will say the nocturnal ending was more interesting from an atmospheric and writing point of view. It was cool seeing all the fourth-wall breaking developer messages.

The Last of Us Part 2 and Pathologic 2 are aiming for different things, there's no need to downplay one developer's work to prop up another. I've greatly enjoyed both games.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019
Recently read this piece from bullet points that offered a interesting perspective in support of the nocturnal ending. I went back and did both so I remain unsure if I prefer one over the other as the canon choice, but I will say the nocturnal ending was more interesting from an atmospheric and writing point of view. It was cool seeing all the fourth-wall breaking developer messages.

The Last of Us Part 2 and Pathologic 2 are aiming for different things, there's no need to downplay one developer's work to prop up another. I've greatly enjoyed both games.

Those bullet point articles are fantastic. I'm also unsure if I agree with their point, but the Nocturnal has way more depth than people give it credit for. Also, some of those dev messages are amazing. This is one of my favorite dialogues in the entire game

1707f1a73ebd19e3769db83dc12b5d4be7a0dfc4.jpg

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Those bullet point articles are fantastic. I'm also unsure if I agree with their point, but the Nocturnal has way more depth than people give it credit for. Also, some of those dev messages are amazing. This is one of my favorite dialogues in the entire game

1707f1a73ebd19e3769db83dc12b5d4be7a0dfc4.jpg

Yeah that dialogue was great haha, the point is well-taken as someone who did make frequent use of the markers. But as dialogue option says, "that's not how it turned out" so I suppose the added difficulty of trying to navigate the town by yourself was too much when they were playtesting the idea of having no map markers. It certainly would be rough trying to find the right area for quests in the first couple of days, but like the other elements in the game the player would eventually get the hang of it.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I beat this, I'm exhausted. I accidentally took that deal thing but found out I could just edit a xml to undo it. I feel no shame, 50 hours of misery is not worth that slap in the face I just got.

Will wrap up day 12 tomorrow, this is an outstanding game but I don't think I will recommend it to anybody.

May 17, 2019
Pathologic 2 received a development update in Ice-Pick Lodge's podcast today. The Bachelor route will not be released in 2021, features different mechanics, and is extensive

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
May 17, 2019
Anyone seen this?

This would be really devastating, it is not clear from the thread if he is even still at the studio or not. Radio silence from IPL
This is the first I am seeing of this. God damn... really unsettling to consider in light of some of the themes and imagery in Pathologic and The Void as well.

If you want further details, the IPL discord on the reddit has a more comprehensive breakdown

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone seen this?

This would be really devastating, it is not clear from the thread if he is even still at the studio or not. Radio silence from IPL

www.resetera.com

Nikolay Dybowski (Pathologic 2, The Void) has been accused of preying on underage girls and having relationships with students

Content warning: Talk of pedophilia, sexual assault, abuse Nikolay Dybowski is the lead writer and director for the Russian videogame developer Ice-Pick Lodge, known for cult favorites like the Pathologic series andThe Void. Recently, accusations have emerged of him preying on girls as young as...

Ended up making the thread. Thanks again for letting us know.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Controversy above noted (which sadly was barely discussed, though understandable given the studio's obscurity—any news?), I think a bump is warranted to let backers of the Kickstarter know to keep an eye out in your email inbox. They're confirming mailing addresses for physical backer rewards. Looks like they may in fact hold to their word after all, even on some of the more bizarre items, though I'm skeptical about the quality.

It also says: "We will continue making games and see you soon," so maybe there will also be some teasers, reveals, or trailers coming our way.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
To start with, if anyone has any updates on the allegations against IPL's founder and CEO Nikolai Dybowski, please update us. I wasn't able to find anything, even on the somewhat active subreddit.

In any case, he's still acting in his role and has signed, alongside the major figures of the studio, an open letter against the Ukrainian war, for what it's worth.

View: https://twitter.com/icepicklodge/status/1498269141404463107?s=61&t=epZBr-k9FEHAgU76XzSl3g

For the ten or so of us who know of and have any interest in Pathologic, there was an update several months ago that I did not see mentioned anywhere on era.

teletype.in

About the studio and its projects

What were you actually doing all this time?

In short, they are actively working on another Pathologic installment for the Bachelor, using a different engine/gameplay throughline, with support from a "major well-known investor"

Some interesting snippets:

Why the new Pathologic will not be a clone of 'the same game "with different dialogues"':

I fundamentally did not want to make a clone of an existing game, where the core gameplay of the Haruspex would migrate with the individual characteristics of this hero and, most importantly, with his former shortcomings. That includes the combat system, controversial economy, and the attempt to imitate a small-scale open world under the limited technical capabilities. The problem of streaming a large city on consoles, which rose to its full growth during a porting, also did not go away. All this had to be taken into account.

Their new process after learning from the rocky development of P2:

Even developing a "low-key Bachelor" we had to create not a piece of old game, a full-fledged gameplay. We'd taken in account mistakes of developments, and this time started without pernicious arrogance, trying to do it the right way: with creating a bunch of gray box prototypes.

The first prototype:

The first version of pure cabinet gameplay we prototyped in a really low-key way: in fact, the whole story there should have been taking place in one location we called the Stillwater. During the episodes of strolls through the city players could receive impression phrases. It would appear when some urban detail fell into the player's scope, scattering in a cloud of phrases, as in the BBC Sherlock. Players had to catch them like mosquitoes with the further haul result appearing in the mind map.

All in all, we barely created a Fruit-ninja with thoughts and phrases that players had to immediately evaluate and find the necessary ones were playing a role of fruits. If the phrases didn't fit, players would have to go hunting it again. This kind of gameplay still seems beautiful: maybe some kind of it would be presented in a current version of the game.

As a joke, I called it the combination of Her Story and IT'S WINTER. We wanted to show the intellectual hero and display the process of critical thinking through the game interface. In essence, it was a puzzle that tests memory, attentiveness and the skill of combination impressions.

The second prototype:

The second prototype was a story with a non-linear narrative, where 12 days were deliberately placed not in chronological order, but mixed up, as in Pulp Fiction. The subconscious desire to create a convincing imitation of the sensations of an exhausted person had its effect. The player could move between different days, as if "remembering" what happened on the eleventh day and what happened on the sixth one. Bachelor's had its own timeline, so did the player and the town with its citizens. And all of those three conditions sometimes had "go visiting" each other by the way.

For example, a volunteer hired by Dankovsky on the seventh day, when returning on the third day, had also appeared there. Sounds okay. But how should they act, when this meeting proves to be the first one chronologically, the second one for the player and obviously the third one for the hero. Dialogues have been written from the author's reality, where the same volunteer on the third day could know what would happen to the Bachelor on the seventh day, and the Bachelor could not react to it. And so the idea of changing the active hero in the process of dialogue arose. It remains in the final version. But, in general, this kind of approach was too confusing. Both players and us were totally flipping out.

The third and ongoing prototype—its thematic focus on immortality and time:

It's not the city or even the plague that matters to the Bachelor, but Simon and, more precisely, the question of how he technically achieved immortality. And this question is directly related to the different types of time that I wanted to show through the gameplay. It has been only during the playtests of the second prototype that it's become clear that in the concept with a "jump cut" the player's experience of the time's flow had completely gone! Totally! Time had been so complicated the players have stopped noticing it. And we wanted them to be able to compare various types of perception of a time within a short interval. Therefore, we focused on what techniques and activities make players experience time within a short interval, like in Nolan's film "Memento".

At the same time, a game with a different time course had to be combined with a tactical "street" gameplay. The interaction with infected zones, particles and objects should affect the flow of time.

How the Bachelor (Dankovsky) will differ from the Haruspex (Artemy):

Daniil Dankovsky works with the technology of mortality. He is interested in how a person naturally "ends" and what can be done about it. Immortality and death are problems that primarily rely on how time works. The aging processes of the body are associated with its irreversible and irresistible flow. But time works way more complicated in the modern scientific picture of the world. Its foundations were laid by Einstein, Planck and Mechnikov. They all are conditional contemporaries of Dankovsky, and he, as an intellectual, should know about their work.

Therefore Dankovsky should perceive time not mundenly, but differently. Changing his concerns about the time, he would start to use it as a tool to understand not the not the physiological immortality of the cell, but the immortality of man as a thinking unit.

There are precisely a number of philosophical questions that we want to focus on while working on the plot of the Bachelor. Firstly, that includes the dilemma of death and immortality. Secondly, it's about time and being lost in it, as well as managing time itself or changing its perception. That is what gameplay changes are connected with. We have to decide on what the hero can do in our world model, what he can influence, and what, on the contrary, is not so important for him.

a64e4d91-d182-4747-a94e-c63f410abdec.gif

There will be no open world, no looting and fighting random NPCs, and the survival system will be quite different. The Bachelor will no longer contend with material resources but with time, people, and facts. The plague will be a more active and interesting foe, the story will not be chronological, and the player will rely on volunteers to do footwork the player can't afford to do themselves.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Thanks for the update. Pretty good read, It really makes me want to play to Pathologic again.

And interesting to read about the plans for the bachelor. Will definitely be a different experience than haruspex.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Wow, that sounds dramatically different and a bit of a shame given how much I love what Pathologic 2 was doing but I'll trust their instinct to change gears.

Can't wait to see the systems described in action

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
They're confirming mailing addresses for physical backer rewards. Looks like they may in fact hold to their word after all, even on some of the more bizarre items, though I'm skeptical about the quality.

Turns out they came through! Just got the package today despite my tracking info being blank for two months. Even the somewhat out there rewards like the Tragedian Mask were present and in decent quality construction.

The art book is okay. The cool thing about it is that it's signed by the whole team.

Did anyone get theirs yet? I recall some horned mask or other that I'm curious to see.