• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 17, 2019
Pathologic 2 is too depressing and addictive. After Day 4 when I was stuck in a loop of 'starvation death' I started it from scratch and actually enjoyed more.

Here's a review by (I guess) a slavic person. It seems that the original writing is really great.
Well, I enjoyed the dialogues and lore in English as well.

That is a nice review. The coverage for this game has been really frustrating. Most people, it seems, refuse to tackle the game on its own term. Instead reviews seem to just compare to other works which really does not work.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

I've seen this. Maybe something changes in the later stages of successive deaths, but I still feel as though the sentiment that "dying is not the end" is flat-out wrong. Every failure makes it exponentially harder to carry on, and the content you end up seeing in return amounts to Mark shitting on you over and over while waxing philosophical about the value of suffering. Reloading an earlier save to avoid making a fatal mistake and make better use of your resources has so far proven to be the best option available when you sense things are going to shit. The message being conveyed by the mechanics and dialogue seems to be an utter condemnation of allowing yourself to make a single error. Or erasing evidence of that failure after you know better.

"The most important thing is to not die. Like, ever."

Because there is still an optimal way to play utilizing all the mechanics available to you, and it's not like the game offers a hint of comfort in failure. If you have the ability to play god with the system and you're only going to get kicked in the stomach for falling down, why bother allowing yourself to fall in the first place?

Last edited:

Neveridel

Jun 3, 2019
That is a nice review. The coverage for this game has been really frustrating. Most people, it seems, refuse to tackle the game on its own term. Instead reviews seem to just compare to other works which really does not work.

I think most people are not ready to "suffer" for the sake of atmosphere.
We've got DS and Bloodborne games, but they give you a sense of accomplishment after you beat a boss. Pathologic doesn't actually want to cheer you up.
Even the head of Ice-Pick Logde studio once told that they are making not "attraction games" but "torture games"

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Extremely comprehensive difficulty patch is out allowing you to tweak most parameters of the game to your liking.
ad6c4b25ba21bf9cc4147f42bbd25864b2070b94.png
3b54bc7e8b71611d1e59a5492d2b091ace9a18b2.png

Basically, you can tweak any aspect of the game that gives you trouble. Perhaps you're fine playing the game as it is and only want to lower Hunger or Thirst a little… maybe even raisinganother parameter to compensate.

Oh yeah, it's possible to make Pathologic 2 way harder now too.

To save you from being lost in the Sea of Sliders, each comes with an explanation, including our suggestions and assessment of how strongly changing this option would impact the game:
Steam news post

Difficulty can be changed at any time but there is a new achievement for completing the game without touching the intended difficulty setting.

May 17, 2019
Would this work as a separate thread? Some people might be really interested in a new update like this, given that all the reviews criticize the game for its difficulty.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Probably since people who might have been interested but put off because of the difficulty have checked out of the ot by this point

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
And the third time's, as they say, the charm.

I'm on Day 7 of my third attempted-playthrough now, and it's still super early to call it but after some careful resource management I think I'm well on my way to seeing a half-decent conclusion on the default difficulty. Finding out how to get swevery easily is incredibly useful, as it makes tinctures that not only raise immunity a fair bit, but also heal exhaustion. Aside from that, raising the hospital reward as high as possible gives a ton of money that can be used to buy sewing kits and cloaks for inventory upgrades. I'm also sitting on like 4 shmowders from a combination of hidden stashes and the dead item shop... Though I'm not sure how much longer I'll need them.

Goodest bad boy Bad Grief got infected from shit RNG on Day 4 but managed to last the 3 days it took for me to find the cure, so it only felt fitting to test it on him. Going by some earlier comments I feel like maybe I shouldn't have been able to cure plague this early? Although there's still a lot of questions regarding the cure that need to be answered.

with the Inquisition in town it looks like things are about to go from bad to terrible.

Also I think I fucked up somewhere because Rubin died unceremoniously while I was brewing the panacea. It looks like he can live if you manage your time well that day and brew it before 7:00am on Day 7?

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Saving Bad Grief paid off in spades.

Free shotgun aw yiss.

Can I even sell this for bread anymore though? The whole Inquisition Bucks system made buying things a lot more complicated. The Shady Shop still takes money but unfortunately they only restock once each morning.

Also I don't think IPL intended for me to resolve that quest by getting punched into a corner where I couldn't be hit and taking cheap shots.

Edit: Just finished. Despite what I still feel are legitimate issues with the "quicksand" difficulty and some severe frustration learning how to manage it all, I absolutely love this game. Probably gonna have to give it a spot in my top 5 for this year.

Hopefully now that the difficulty patch is out more people might give it a shot. I'm excited to see what's in store for the Bachelor chapter, which seems to be next, and especially interested in seeing things from the Changeling's perspective. Hopefully IPL will get to make them...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jader7777

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I love people who actually finish the game.

There's so much terror and dread and suffering... but the ending is such a resolution, so transcendent. It really is one of the best games ever made.

By the way, here's an old image about the game. Still applies.

BNz4S3u.jpg

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Have barely played games in a week plus because of real life shit but on the last two days and expecting to finish it tonight. Can only hope it won't be the last taste since I really want to play the remade Changeling campaign.

And lol, Pathologic is so much wilder than anyone would ever expect coming in even with the offbeat trailers.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of times this game blew my mind, even in small moments of dialogue, is uncountable. Things that stick in my mind off the top of my head:

- Meeting the Rat Prophet after already meeting The Thing That Lurks Beneath and having a dialogue branch to acknowledge his role as an actor playing the part of the latter
- Learning what Sand Pest actually is, and how it and the Polyhedron play into the overall theme of death and man's attempt to transcend it
- Meeting "Artemy Burakh" on the final day and hearing spoilers for an event I hadn't gotten to yet
- The Inquisitor discussing her and Artemy's roles as characters incapable of transcending the fate chosen for them by those roles
- Realizing who Murky's "friend" actually is, and taking the plague upon myself to save her
- The "eureka" moment upon first developing the panacea and testing it on Bad Grief, only to realize I have no idea what it even comes from
- Frantically rushing through Day 10 and curing the afflicted children with my stockpiled shmowders and newly-crafted panacea in a triumphant "fuck you" to the plague

More than anything, I just really want to know what Clara/The Changeling's role in all this is. I feel like The Bachelor's more rational approach from an outsider's perspective can only be a step down in intrigue after being thrown head-first into Steppe culture as the Haruspex, but IPL has more than earned my faith in crafting something amazing.

Last edited:

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
More than anything, I just really want to know what Clara/The Changeling's role in all this is. I feel like The Bachelor's more rational approach from an outsider's perspective can only be a step down in intrigue after being thrown head-first into Steppe culture as the Haruspex, but IPL has more than earned my faith in crafting something amazing.
See, here's the thing, to me, the bachelor's angle is probably going to be more interesting, because the resolution of the plague with Haruspex is so weird that I can't begin to imagine what the ultra-sciencey bachelor's trip to the same possible conclusion is. Also, he seems to be deeply involved with the Kain family, so there's some other possible weirdness there with the Polyhedron and the chapel.

While Changeling is more mysterious by default, I don't see how interesting her journey could be. She's inherently magical, has some ties to the Mistresses from very early days, so her leap to the ultimate ailment and the cure doesn't seem like that much of a stretch. The details will be interesting, sure, but Bachelor's route has this massive mystical wall ahead of him.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
After having this game indirectly recommended to me by another poster here at Resetera and having just read Dusk Golem's interesting thread about the game and it's critical reception I couldn't help but picking it up.

I'm hoping it runs OK on my 1060 6gb / Ryzen 5 1600 combo and I'm looking forward to reading this thread properly after playing some of the game. I'm also hoping I like it: I've never played or even heard of the original but I understand this is very much a re-imagining of that game; I conceptually like the idea of survival games; I like the the idea of games where the story happens regardless of you; and I don't mind harsh fail states sometimes so I guess the odds are good! I just wish I didn't have such a busy few weeks ahead.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
See, here's the thing, to me, the bachelor's angle is probably going to be more interesting, because the resolution of the plague with Haruspex is so weird that I can't begin to imagine what the ultra-sciencey bachelor's trip to the same possible conclusion is. Also, he seems to be deeply involved with the Kain family, so there's some other possible weirdness there with the Polyhedron and the chapel.

While Changeling is more mysterious by default, I don't see how interesting her journey could be. She's inherently magical, has some ties to the Mistresses from very early days, so her leap to the ultimate ailment and the cure doesn't seem like that much of a stretch. The details will be interesting, sure, but Bachelor's route has this massive mystical wall ahead of him.

I can get onboard with that. Bachelor seems more like the Lovecaftian skeptic relying on human knowledge in a situation that defies logic, so seeing how he tackles things should make for an interesting time. The Polyhedron stuff also seems super intriguing and seeing where his arc goes in this route I imagine that'll make up a good portion of his run.

I feel like Changeling is interesting because understanding who she is and what she even does feels like a massive piece of the puzzle regarding the supernatural in this world. Plus she's kind of a walking contradiction in Haruspex's playthrough - she does blatantly inexplicable things, but then she seems outright incapable of resolving other conflicts or making good on her threats. I half expect her route to be like the Malkavian run of Pathologic. Plus it seems her route in the original was really rushed and lacking as a result, so I imagine a lot of creative juice has been spent figuring out what they can do to do it justice in the remake.

May 17, 2019
I can get onboard with that. Bachelor seems more like the Lovecaftian skeptic relying on human knowledge in a situation that defies logic, so seeing how he tackles things should make for an interesting time. The Polyhedron stuff also seems super intriguing and seeing where his arc goes in this route I imagine that'll make up a good portion of his run.

I feel like Changeling is interesting because understanding who she is and what she even does feels like a massive piece of the puzzle regarding the supernatural in this world. Plus she's kind of a walking contradiction in Haruspex's playthrough - she does blatantly inexplicable things, but then she seems outright incapable of resolving other conflicts or making good on her threats. I half expect her route to be like the Malkavian run of Pathologic. Plus it seems her route in the original was really rushed and lacking as a result, so I imagine a lot of creative juice has been spent figuring out what they can do to do it justice in the remake.

You guys are so close, can't wait to see how Daniil's route goes over. Some fantastic stuff in there.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Whelp. Looks like Medrel+ healing like, 1/3rd of your exhaustion was an unintended side effect of the most recent patch. Once I realized how great they were and how common swevery was I hoarded them and barely had to sleep in my playthrough. So uh, if anyone wants that Imago achievement and isn't afraid of using an exploit there's your incentive to push as far as you can before they fix it.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I skipped the first few months because I knew it was gonna be riddled with bugs and that great enhancements would come from the community feedback. I waited 5 years and now it's the time, the journey begins. Wish me luck folks.

OP
OP
Jader7777

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
unknown.png

Can't wait to see how Mandalore copes with the game. He's really putting his full attention into it. I can't help but feel a strange pity but also pride in anyone who tries to complete the game- let alone write something meaningful about it.

As long as you buy the bull and live to day 11 having carefully attended to the bull every opportunity you get, you will hear a sweet word from... You'll see. :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing through Classic right now. What an incredible premise for a game... Only finished the first day so far. Nerve-wracking...

Also happened to give The Void a try. Amazing atmosphere, premise, setting... the only thing bothering me about it is that the game isn't very good at recognizing glyphs, I always get the "you wasted some Color" message whenever I try to give a tree some color

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
What is the final verdict for this game? I haven't played the original version but the premise drawing me in. Although, I can't be arsed to deal with a hardcore survival game right now. Can I tweak the difficulty so I don't have to deal with the mechanics of the game and just focus on the story?

May 17, 2019
What is the final verdict for this game? I haven't played the original version but the premise drawing me in. Although, I can't be arsed to deal with a hardcore survival game right now. Can I tweak the difficulty so I don't have to deal with the mechanics of the game and just focus on the story?

You can substantially tweak it, allowing for a heavily reduced difficulty. It also has the best game writing of this year by a far margin.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
MandaloreGaming references the feature, where you know which story characters are at danger of infection or fully sick, as one improvement/innovation over Pathologic 1

That coupled with lack of apparent district reputation, I gotta ask, did the plague infect story characters at random in 1, or did it follow locational rules like it generally does in 2?

OP
OP
Jader7777

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
That coupled with lack of apparent district reputation, I gotta ask, did the plague infect story characters at random in 1, or did it follow locational rules like it generally does in 2?

It was mixed, there were 'always going to be infected' people, but other areas depended on your prior actions. Changling specifically could do some weird stuff with her abilities in her playthrough.

May 17, 2019
What will happen next

So, several months have passed since the release of the Haruspeak campaign. I heard that sales are not very satisfactory. This is true? How do you evaluate the success of the game and how will it affect the further development?

Nikolai: Yes, this is true. And it will affect the further development in the most difficult way. Most of the team will disperse, the studio will again be reduced to a few basic people - exactly the same thing that happened after the failure of Eureka! I think that, as in that situation, a small mobile game will save us. Only after that we will be able to take on the promised scenarios of the Bachelor and the Impostor - the studio simply will not have the technical ability to make them without money and people. It's also clear to me that by the time we get down to them, the industry will change.

When to wait for other campaigns and console versions?

Nikolai: I don't know. This is not possible to plan. It all depends on the composition of the studio and how we manage the last money (it's clear that there will be less and less income from Haruspeak) —that is, will we make the right bet. I suppose that with this last money we will make a very small mobile project, and with the money that it will earn, we will complete the scenarios of the Bachelor with the Pretender - and we will do each in a new genre. Obviously, there are few who want to spend 20 hours again on a mediocre Survival for the sake of new plot twists.
Google translated from here - https://dtf.ru/gamedev/65410-inogda...t-ee-bolshoe-intervyu-s-ice-pick-lodge-o-more

Oct 25, 2017
This is the game I've wanted since Majoras Mask.

I'm close to end of day 3, I like the writing, it's something metaphysical with time managing and the act of balance, so when it comes to the story's pace I'm surprised, I'm amazed, this game ain't shy of its presentation, & this is a lot of content, overwhelmingly so - I want to participate in everything. This game is bloody genius.

May 17, 2019
This is the game I've wanted since Majoras Mask.

I'm close to end of day 3, I like the writing, it's something metaphysical with time managing and the act of balance, so when it comes to the story's pace I'm surprised, I'm amazed, this game ain't shy of its presentation, & this is a lot of content, overwhelmingly so - I want to participate in everything. This game is bloody genius.

I hadn't thought about the relation to Majora's Mask, but I can totally see it now. The off-kilter atmosphere, the creeping dread, the constant slipping of time, the focus on masks, it has a bunch in common.

Mjester

Banned
Mar 3, 2018
OMG FINALLY FINISHED IT!!

Finally, relieved!! What a strange but enjoyable ending.
Managed to reach all possible courier locations but in the end when I found him on my doorsteps my lack of time to deliver the message decided the fate of the town. I'm going to do the last day again to see what the other endings are but right now I need to take a break, because damn that shit was intense ( I think this game made me balder), 25+ deaths by hunger, exhaustion, infection and a lot of mugging by bandits and to think I played the last couple of days with the thirst parameter lowered (forgot that I lowered it to test the best way to get from one point to another), I wonder if that's why the last mad dash to find the couriers felt quite doable (while still being intense) compared to past quests (you also seem to walk faster the last day?), also if that courier hunt had its own special music, it would have made the final part of the day 11 way more enthralling.

9681012AF2178375ED7CA072775962A8739050F4

Damn, I really hope they find a way to release the other characters (there are a lot of characters that aren't fleshed out in the Haruspex story and also the whole thing of visiting the abattoir and seeing the heart of the town doesn't seem to fit the Bachelor, I know that the Polyhedron is more integral to his story but I wonder if he'll also see the heart of the town and how he'll reach it? Heck I'm especially mystified by the Changeling, will she have her own special locale and theme? And it also seems that not all the music on the OST is heard in the game?

Last edited:

Mjester

Banned
Mar 3, 2018
... Well my steam playtime shows a whopping 140 hours but there may be only something of 107 or so hours of actual play, ±28 hours of playing The Marble Nest and some ±5 hours of leaving the game running but stepping away from it to relieve some tension. I also had an odd habit of restarting some days to see if there was a more efficient way to do things and to see which dialogue routes I preferred... I got some slight weird obsessive compulsions when it comes to roleplaying.

One thing that I think needs to be addressed in the gameplay is the amount of bandits that appear in burned down districts later in the game, it's ridiculous; I'm fighting one off and suddenly there comes five more from around the corner making it quite impossible to even lay one foot in some areas.

Oct 27, 2017
ICYMI, recent post by Dusk Golem, in the 'Have Silent Hill 2's imagery and subtleness been surpassed by any other game?' thread:
[...] Pathologic 2 I think is the first game to challenge the meld of all its elements coming together, I honestly think in 15 years people are going to look back on Pathologic 2 how they're looking back on SH2, I think it's artistic vision, deep meaning, how everything comes together and how it tells so much with it's gameplay alone to tell a story (which is matched with beautiful music, visuals, art direction, etc), is going to be remembered down the line. It's a shame in the now it's being a commercial failure and a bit critically mixed because it's a brutal game. [...]
[...] But I'm not kidding, Pathologic 2 is one of the best visions for a game since SH2. Here's two amazing videos talking about this if interested in learning a bit more (I'm really happy more people who care about games as an art form are trying to speak out more and more that they shouldn't sleep on Pathologic 2, RagnarRox (the creator of the first video I posted) in particular is also a huge Silent Hill fan and has done big videos on the series as one of his favorites and SH2 in particular):

Both videos do a pretty good job at explaining it better than I could, but if don't have time for a video, the lowdown way I'd explain it is firstly, even though it has a 2 in the title you don't need to have played the first game to experience it. It's a bit different, but just like how you don't need SH1 to play SH1, you don't need to have played Pathologic 1 to play Pathologic 2.

Anyways, Pathologic 2 is sorta' the antithesis to the current game design trend we see, it has masterful writing, music, atmosphere, art design, but moreso everything peddles so well into each other to deliver a very unconventional game experience. An example I can give is we as gamers are so used to video games holding our hand to do what it wants us to do. We receive a quest, we do it, we get rewarded, etc. But what if there was a game where the game was lying to you, and there was a far deeper reason it was. Where story quests aren't needed to progress the game, the story goes on with or without you because the world doesn't revolve around you. That mindlessly doing what others tell you is not the way to succeed in the world, you need to pay attention to information everyone is telling you because some people either are lying to you for their own benefit (and not in a big "plot twist way", little lies you may or may never pick up) or some are just wrong about what they believe, and doing what they want will actually make matters worse?

There's a lot more to it, but Pathologic is a game taking place over 14 days where a plague is hitting a small Russian town that's full of weird surrealism and beliefs, you're a doctor who went to university to study medicine but go back to your hometown to find out your dad's been murdered alongside someone else and big parts of the town suspect you did it for reasons you need to discover. And I'm trying my best not to spoil it, but everything in the game ties to its themes. Dying in the game and game overs actually play into the story, you're constantly struggling to survive and have to make really tough choices, sometimes with limited information at that point in time due to your previous choices. and not on a stereotypical "Good or Bad" scale, it becomes a plight for survival. BUT, what holds the game together to make the misery worth going through is it's an incredibly well written and realized experience that does have a point, and while most games focus on "Empowerment" of the player, Pathologic 2 focuses very heavily on what can be interesting and worth an experience that constantly disempowers them and has you working against a world that really seems to want you dead.

There's a lot more to it than I'm saying and I'd recommend watching a bit of the videos, this game isn't a "fun" experience traditionally, but it's really compelling and I think is a game that's going to be remembered down the line. It's really unique, interesting, and I'd even say well-done that is doing a lot with all of its elements...

From the start of the RagnarRox video:
"...Literally for years now, I've been wanting to make a big video essay on the game to take it apart and share the myriad of thoughts that I have on it with you. I've made this 45 minute long video on 'The Void' a while back -- the other 'big' title by the same developer, Ice-Pick Lodge -- and this one was already a juggernaut to research, write and produce. And the result ended up being a video that only covered about maybe 20% of what I could have said and gone into about the game at the time... And I always knew that Pathologic would be an even grander task to tackle in a video... [Pathologic is] in my opinion, one of the most brilliant video games ever made, but it's also a very strange one, a tough one to approach and deciper and chew on. Because it really needs some dedication to get into the game's very unique mindset..."
"...I've been following [Pathologic 2's] development quite closely over the past 5 years, backed it on Kickstarter, played the Marble's Nest standalone demo and played several Alpha and Closed Beta versions before launch. And ever since the game released in the final version, I've spent a lot of time with it, and what can I say? Pathologic 2, luckily, turned out to become one of the best video games I've ever played in my entire life. And in this video, I want to give you a -- mostly -- spoiler free rundown of *Why* this game is so genius in my eyes and why you should absolutely play it..."
"...I still intend to work on an exploration of the game's story, themes, lore, symbolism and all that. But until that happens, this video is my attempt at convincing you that this game is worth playing and that the developers should be supported, so they stay in business. Sales for Pathologic 2 weren't exactly in the regions of a Red Dead Redemption 2 as you can imagine and Ice-Pick Lodge has reportedly been financially struggling because Pathologic 2 didn't get the attention it damn well deserves. And I want them to eventually finalize their vision of the plague-ridden steppe-town..."

What he says starting at 12m48s is similar to my own experience (from playing through just the first parts of the game so far), and in particular he adds that "...a big part of that is that the whole experience so perfectly interlocks all of its elements within the game's metaphor that with this game, I don't just *tolerate* the survival aspects, they actually captivate me...", which was true for me as well. He says:
"...And let me clarify that: I, personally, am not a big fan of survival games per se. Like, I've got nothing against the genre, it's one that I respect and I completely see and understand its appeal. But it's just not my taste, it's not something that I personally seek out for myself to play, for enjoyment. And Pathologic 2 is, mechanically, a survival game through and through and a rather tough one at that. But with this game, it surprisingly works for me. And a big part of that is that the whole experience so perfectly interlocks all of its elements within the game's metaphor that with this game, I don't just *tolerate* the survival aspects, they actually captivate me..."
"...The closest comparison that I can draw with other games to this is, for example, This War of Mine, a game where you take charge of a group of survivors in a warzone that constantly, and through gameplay instead of scripted events, forces you to make tough, often unpopular and harsh decisions for the survival of your group. Or Frost-Punk, by the same developer -- which is a game that, when you're doing everything right and are winning, is... is a neat town-builder at best. But if you start getting in trouble, and running low on resources, and y'know doing thing wrong, making mistakes, this is when the game really starts to shine, because it plays with harsh decisions and their consequences in the face of death and starvation. Pathologic 2 drives on the same tracks, and it is phenomenal at this theme..."
"...And there are more currencies than just money. Y'know, if we extend the idea of currencies, like, certain objects and their usefulness, time, fatigue, all that kind of stuff, all this is currencies that you intuitively have to consider for each action you take. And even though in the first days, the game's already showing its teeth, it gets a lot tougher over time... a lot of people were thrown off by the steep difficulty of Pathologic 2 -- so much so that the developers added difficulty sliders in a later patch with which you can [individually] adjust values like how fast you get hungry, fatigued, how much damage you do and take and how expensive items are -- you can really customize the game a lot with this -- but I want to try and, for now, plead to you to leave them untouched during your first playthrough, even though I can guarantee you that by that, the game will be incredibly tough. Pathologic 2 is trying to be far more realistic in how it plays out consequences without catering to power fantasies..."
"...But that also includes the other side of this coin, because if you know that your choices *truly* matter and can truly, y'know, pull you deep deep down, then doing the right choices and succeeding is so. much. more. rewarding. Because it doesn't just feel like the game just leads you to the path of success on rails, but it really feels like *you* understood the systems and the city and what's happening, and you understood what was going on and *because* you read it correctly and *you* took the right turns -- you succeeded and you helped someone, genuinely. It's one of the best example of 'Narrative Effort Justification' that I've ever played... Pathologic 2 is a game that is so finely balanced that these situations, these moments where you have to carefully consider your actions and their consequences, they regularly arise from this intricate pool of interlocking systems while always being clear enough that you often, naturally, through deduction and observation have a solid grasp on all the ramifications without the game having to spell it out for you..."

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Totally agree, I'm still working my way through and it's absolutely one of the best psychological horror games ever made, this is exactly the kind of gameplay-driven, heavily-themed game that I always wish we had more of.

Btw the video is timestamped to 39:00 when you click on it, don't know if that was intentional.