• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mjester

Banned
Mar 3, 2018
I played a bit of Patho 1 as the Haruspex and holy hell what an truly antagonistic game. Everything is all so alien and ugly, and clunky, what's up with that hunchback? Almost anybody you encounter attacks you and there's a lot of mistake you can make to lose reputation. Sure now we know that the game has some depth to it but the first people that didn't give up on Patho 1 in the west must have been truly dedicated, courageous and curious folk, especially considering the original crappy translation, and to be honest even with the updated translation the dialogues in the first game isn't that stellar. Compared to the first one, patho 2 is a way easier sell.

So I really would like to know, those that finished the first one what made you stick with it?

May 17, 2019
I played a bit of Patho 1 as the Haruspex and holy hell what an truly antagonistic game. Everything is all so alien and ugly, and clunky, what's up with that hunchback? Almost anybody you encounter attacks you and there's a lot of mistake you can make to lose reputation. Sure now we know that the game has some depth to it but the first people that didn't give up on Patho 1 in the west must have been truly dedicated, courageous and curious folk, especially considering the original crappy translation, and to be honest even with the updated translation the dialogues in the first game isn't that stellar. Compared to the first one, patho 2 is a way easier sell.

So I really would like to know, those that finished the first one what made you stick with it?

Well, I cheated the hell out of it, that's for starters. However, I found the atmosphere and music to be quite unique, the writing to be fascinatingly esoteric, and ambitions interesting. Patho1 stands pretty alone in the medium. There really wasn't anything else like it for the decade after its release. When I came to it as a teen back in 2016 there were stil only a handful of similar works. Patho1 is antagonistic, wants the player to figure out things themselves, despises gratification, sickly in aesthetic, crawling in sound design, and miasmic in theme. Not to mention that the HD version has some of the finest writing the medium has produced. Actual mature, literary leaning, layered, winding prose? In a video game? Surely not!

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Bad enough that they had to lay off half the staff and slow down development on the remaining routes in order to raise money through a phone game.

Sad to hear that. Hopefully they'll be able release console ports, and make some money there. I read that it's one of the best and thought-provoking horror games since Silent Hill 2, so I'd hate to miss it.

Mjester

Banned
Mar 3, 2018
Not to mention that the HD version has some of the finest writing the medium has produced.

Well the thing is, the writing I encountered so far is very on the nose, your father's letter has something along the lines of I had to participate in some mysterious events and the first time you talk with Capella she says something like I can see the future and you will have to make a great sacrifice, you barely know the girl and she already has some heavy exposition to dump on you?

It is a curious game, one where you would want to know where it all is going but I can also see how one can easily give up on it considering its difficulty and graphics.

I don't know if we have our Citizen Kane of video games yet but Ice-Pick Lodge sure is the Jodorowsky of video games

May 17, 2019
store.steampowered.com

Save 75% on Pathologic 2 on Steam

Pathologic 2 is a groundbreaking open-world horror RPG. Resist the plague. Make medicine. Heal people. Perform an autopsy. Trade to get what you need. Fight and kill if necessary. Survive. Struggle with an outbreak in a secluded rural town that is rapidly turning into hell.

Release date for Marble Nest

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Someone who can write make a thread about the short nature of the Marble Nest to covince people to play it

revEvvO.gif

OP
OP
Jader7777

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia

Sul released his video on Patho2 while Hbomber released a video on Patho1. Both are worth watching if you've got the 4 hours to spare.

Also this

draftmeme3.png

Mjester

Banned
Mar 3, 2018
A while ago I was playing Pathos 1 and seeing how the Bachelor playthrough serve as better introduction to the town and how easier his first day is compared to the Haruspex makes me really bummed that we didn't get his storyline in Pathos 2.

HooAmEye
Nice list you have there, considering some of the movies that remind you of Ice-Pick Lodge, I recommend you to check out the Estonian film November (don't check the wiki it contains a stupid spoiler), it's about Eastern European folklore and superstition, the interaction between classes in a remote Estonian village and how the inhabitants of that village use the supernatural for their selfish gains.

May 17, 2019
A while ago I was playing Pathos 1 and seeing how the Bachelor playthrough serve as better introduction to the town and how easier his first day is compared to the Haruspex makes me really bummed that we didn't get his storyline in Pathos 2.

HooAmEye
Nice list you have there, considering some of the movies that remind you of Ice-Pick Lodge, I recommend you to check out the Estonian film November (don't check the wiki it contains a stupid spoiler), it's about Eastern European folklore and superstition, the interaction between classes in a remote Estonian village and how the inhabitants of that village use the supernatural for their selfish gains.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'm looking into switching out some of the short movies

May 17, 2019

HooAmEye

Actually, ignore that first reply because I was an idiot for a moment. I have seen it, thought it was fantastic, and is on the list.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Voted for it in "Outstanding story-rich game." Well deserved nod and if it wasn't for Disco Elysium, nothing else would even be particularly close to Path 2 for the year. Maybe Devotion or Elsinore.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I watched the video from Hbomberguy and from there started to watch everything I could get my hands on and now I'm thinking about getting this game. I was specially drawn to the aesthetic and the music. How does this sequel stack up against the original one in those areas?

May 17, 2019
I watched the video from Hbomberguy and from there started to watch everything I could get my hands on and now I'm thinking about getting this game. I was specially drawn to the aesthetic and the music. How does this sequel stack up against the original one in those areas?

They're quite different beasts. Patho1 has this sickly nightmare fashion going on from the very start, which really helps establish the mood. Patho2 instead focuses on the descent of the relatively normal into surreal chaos. It gets to where Patho1 is, but is more about the journey to the point of insanity, rather than an overwhelming sense of foreboding.

The music however has very different goals. Personally, I'd say that Patho1's soundtrack is superior, with the post-industrial electronica. Really sets the mood. However, Patho2's tribal tunes can get deep under your skin. Also, half of the music was composed by the Russian band Theodor Bastard, whose vocals set the stage for many of the games high points. This is my favorite.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
They're quite different beasts. Patho1 has this sickly nightmare fashion going on from the very start, which really helps establish the mood. Patho2 instead focuses on the descent of the relatively normal into surreal chaos. It gets to where Patho1 is, but is more about the journey to the point of insanity, rather than an overwhelming sense of foreboding.

The music however has very different goals. Personally, I'd say that Patho1's soundtrack is superior, with the post-industrial electronica. Really sets the mood. However, Patho2's tribal tunes can get deep under your skin. Also, half of the music was composed by the Russian band Theodor Bastard, whose vocals set the stage for many of the games high points. This is my favorite.

I will probably like the soundtrack in pathologic 2 but, to be honest, it's the industrial aspect of the first that I like so much. It's like a mix of the band Scorn and Dead can dance or something, I love what I heard of it.

May 17, 2019
I will probably like the soundtrack in pathologic 2 but, to be honest, it's the industrial aspect of the first that I like so much. It's like a mix of the band Scorn and Dead can dance or something, I love what I heard of it.

Agreed, the soundtrack for the first is incredible, but the music for each does differentiate the intended goals of each game. Just look at the main menu themes.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hbomb has evangelized me to try these games.

Seeing as how another Steam sale is around the corner though, I will probably wait for that.

Hbomb doesn't really recommend the first one, but in the end still says the first test is to buy it anyways and try it anyways... what do you guys recommend?

May 17, 2019
Hbomb has evangelized me to try these games.

Seeing as how another Steam sale is around the corner though, I will probably wait for that.

Hbomb doesn't really recommend the first one, but in the end still says the first test is to buy it anyways and try it anyways... what do you guys recommend?

Just go to Patho2. I love the first, but it is really in despite of itself. There will be plot points/references that will be missed, but those are pretty minor. As long as you remember that the first game is still-sorta-kinda canon, you'll be fine.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Loading on Xbox One is horrendous. The game itself is intriguing but really having to work against the frequent loading.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Starting this up, happy that I found the time before the year came to an end.

I'm going with intended for difficulty I guess. If I understand that was the only option at launch?
Would anyone recommend playing subbed with the Russian voice track?

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Was housesitting at my brothers, and was excited to use his GamePass to get it on his Original Xbox One.

Game seems really cool, but holy shit does it run poorly on Xbox. Couldn't walk 10sec without loading. Stopped after 2hrs.

When this comes out on PS4, I hope it runs well on the Pro, because I really want to enjoy this game, but not if it runs that bad.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah fingers crossed it runs better on Pro, but I'll be getting it Day 1 regardless. I need this in my library and want to show support directly.

Also, even though witnessing the branching consequences of early mistakes & missteps play out in a variety of shitty, unforseen ways day-to-day has deepened my appreciation for the game, I'm looking forward to starting fresh now that everything is really starting to click.

Like why did I blow my entire inheritance, and then some, on that shit revolver? That thing is fragile and useless, jams constantly, why!? Finally decided to cut my losses and traded it towards some good repellent garments, which has worked out.

No regrets on the bull purchase, though. Named him Eternity and he's the best boi.