• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
On Dec. 18th 2017 service fee will be paid by the patreons, you have to pay 2,9% + $0,35 for each pledge.
IMO this is really bad for people like me who do a lot of $1 pleges, each of these will increase by about $0.37
And this will hurt creators too. They will lose a lot of $1 patreons because of that.

https://patreon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005631963
https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/07/p...purs-concern-that-creators-will-lose-patrons/
https://www.patreon.com/posts/patreons-new-fee-15748098

UPDATE: Seems that they're paddling back:

https://blog.patreon.com/not-rolling-out-fees-change/

Last edited:

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
So good for the biggest donation receiving patreons and sucks for everyone else.

Going to be canceling like a dozen $1 pledges since almost half of it is going to Patreon themselves now.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Crossposting from the EZA thread:

This Patreon change is garbage, especially if you pledge small amounts to multiple creators.

EZA has 1872 people pledging $1. They're going to see the cost of their pledge go up by ~38% 38%! That's crazy.

Now imagine each of those EZA $1 backers back 20 Patreons at 1$ each, they get to pay $27.58 after the changes

Someone who backs just EZA for $20 will instead pay just $20.93. That's an incentive of $7 to stop pledging to lots of people and start pledging to just one.

So this change is going to lead to mass consolidation, and any Patreons that rely on thousands of small backers over hundreds of big backers will suffer.

In fact this is the sort of move that can destabilise an entire platform, so I wouldn't be surprised to see everyone on Patreon suffer.

Last edited:

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So good for the biggest donation receiving patreons and sucks for everyone else.

Going to be canceling like a dozen $1 pledges since almost half of it is going to Patreon themselves now.

unless i am mistaken, doesn't this mean the patron now pays more than the pledge, meaning the patreon gets 1 dollar even, but the patron has to pay 1.35 and something?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I can't afford an increase like that for most of my pledges. Don't they already take a cut? Is Patreon not profitable or something?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Really shitty move by patreon.
I have two or three $1 patreon, and now I'll have to pay, not $1, not $1.21 (what I was paying, 21% VAT yay), but 1.67, and that's more than 50% more.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Moving the fees from the total pot to each user sucks...

I bet someone thought be good for patrons but they will lose users as a result of this.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I can't afford an increase like that for most of my pledges. Don't they already take a cut? Is Patreon not profitable or something?

Patreon take a 5% cut and will continue to take a 5% cut after this change. They are staggeringly, unfathomably profitable.

This change is about passing on the Credit Card / Paypal processing feeds to the patron, rather than the creator.

Really shitty move by patreon.
I have two or three $1 patreon, and now I'll have to pay, not $1, not $1.21 (what I was paying, 21% VAT yay), but 1.67, and that's more than 50% more.

Yeah, already getting smashed by ~20% VAT is bad enough, but this change means I'm going to be cutting down from ~20 Patreons to 1 or 2 Patreons tops.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
unless i am mistaken, doesn't this mean the patron now pays more than the pledge, meaning the patreon gets 1 dollar even, but the patron has to pay 1.35 and something?

I was fine giving a buck a month to a bunch of small time creators that I don't actually follow but think they are nice and deserve support. In the past they got 85-90% of that money. Now the price "increase" doesn't matter to me, but on principal I don't want to pay Patreon 40% to give these people a buck.

If I come across someone like them in the future I'll just toss $5 in a go fund me or whatever instead of giving the buck a month through Patreon.

This is worse for these small time creators but I have no desire to prop up Patreon's already insanely rich owners.

The problem is that, why have the 35c charge on every pledge?
If I have 20 $1 pledges on the same cc, wouldn't it be 2.9% of $20 + $0.35? It's not like you need to charge the card 20 times.

Ding ding ding.

If you have 20 1$ pledges they are just going to pocket the other 19 fees.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Patreon take a 5% cut and will continue to take a 5% cut after this change. They are staggeringly, unfathomably profitable.

This change is about passing on the Credit Card / Paypal processing feeds to the patron, rather than the creator.
If I have 20 $1 pledges on the same cc, wouldn't it be 2.9% of $20 + $0.35? It's not like you need to charge the card 20 times.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that is a godawful move that screws over so many supporters. I feel terrible for those people who will lose so many supporters, including you febLey. That really sucks.

I think their publicly-provided intention of the service fee is good, but the execution is completely terrible.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I can definitely see why this would hurt a lot of current patrons. Only rationale I can think of is that Patreon must be losing hard on all those $1.00 card transaction fees and overhead. But then again how do places like Humble Bundle get by with the same or probably way more of similarly small ones without said transaction fee?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that is mob rates. getting them coming and going.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Yeah, I know. I did the math like 7 posts up, it's a horrendous and ludicrous change.

I wasn't defending it, just explaining it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
While Patreon is good, this just goes to show that content creators can't rely on these big companies alone.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is what needs to happen.

It never made much sense to charge the card separately for each pledge.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Cash grab after youtube fucks over the content creators.

Oct 25, 2017
While Patreon is good, this just goes to show that content creators can't rely on these big companies alone.

Was just thinking how many of the bigger patreons move off to subscription models. A few tech writers I follow already do this. They do one free article a week and all the daily & community features are behind a subscription.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Seems greedy. I don't know much about Patreon, since I don't use it, but given how prevalent it is for YT content creators I'm sure some of them will be making videos about this soon. It's gonna mess with their livelihoods in some way after all.

JPS

Oct 27, 2017
Don't fall for this trick. The change was not made to help the creators, it was made because Patreon is greedy.

They take $0.35 per pledge, but only pay that fee once to Paypal and the credit card companies. So they earn $0.35 for every additional creator you support. They hope that we still want to support the creators and because it's only a few $ per user we will accept it - but creators should look for alternatives.

It's not good that users have to pay $1.38 + tax to give creators $0.95. Patreon should help to reduce costs of micro-transactions - instead they try to make additional profit by this trick. They take 31% fees for $1 pledges now!

You should cancel at least all $1 / $2 pledges immediately to make them realize their mistake!

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
this is really going to hurt some of my favorite things.

hopefully there's a patreon competitor at some point...

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I pledge a couple dollars to several patreons. This seriously sucks and I'm reconsidering if I want to keep pledging. Hopefully this gets enough backlash for them to reverse it.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't support a lot of folks on Patreon for only $1, so this change won't make me cancel any of those pledges.

That said, this is a very unfortunate change.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Used to follow the dude who set it up and his girlfriend. They made amazing music.

When Patreon was set up at some stage she basically made a cooking video with some little musical tinkles over it. (charging Patreons)

When I pointed this out, she was very unhappy. Unsubbed after that despite donating to all their previous kickstarters.

Just seemed quite greedy.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is to stop $1 pledges would be my guess. Patreon probably loses money on the credit card fees for those.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is to stop $1 pledges would be my guess. Patreon probably loses money on the credit card fees for those.

If that was the case they could add the fee once per monthly charge, as noted above, they already combine multiple pledges into a single charge.

They already do this. I have several pledges on one card, and they all get combined into one charge. This extra fee is pretty scummy.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
You should cancel at least all $1 / $2 pledges immediately to make them realize their mistake!

Yes, punish the creators for Patreon's choices. I can't say I agree with this move, but I'm not about to cancel any pledges over it. Nor am I hoping any of my patrons leave me because of it - although I'm sure some will. People like to talk about greed, but Patreon as a company deserves to grow and make money for their services. It's more a matter of how they split costs among the users, not just greed.

JPS

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, punish the creators for Patreon's choices. I can't say I agree with this move, but I'm not about to cancel any pledges over it. Nor am I hoping any of my patrons leave me because of it - although I'm sure some will. People like to talk about greed, but Patreon as a company deserves to grow and make money for their services. It's more a matter of how they split costs among the users, not just greed.
I will support creators using other methods. It's not worth it to give 31% to patreon - that doesn't help creators. If you are a creator you should try to find alternatives how your supporters can send you money with less fees. The idea of Patreon was to bundle micro-payments to reduce fees. This change contradicts that idea and makes Patreon obsolete for smaller pledges.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that is disgustingly greedy. Sites and projects I love, like EZA, are going to suffer because of this. What the hell Patreon??

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous change. Together with the other change in regard to sexual content some time ago I'm disliking Patreon more and more.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
How hard is it to setup a website that allows creators to receive monthly donations? Individual creators may start just making their own sites or using a competing platform.

Japan already has several sites that provide the exact same service as Patreon.

They're policing people that receive donations for wrongthink and "offensive content" and now want more money? Seems like they're pushing customers away intentionally.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Patreon is just following their natural human greed. Charge as much as the market can bear. Valve does the same with Steam. Apple does it with the App store. Google does it with the play store. Kickstarter does it.

We can't criticize one without criticizing the others, I think. I criticize them all. Many people think I'm too harsh. I don't feel harsh.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand is why it isn't just a flat rate? Doesn't having a percentage disincentivize larger donations?