• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Edit: I meant this for the gaming section and reported it immediately after I created it.

Patrick (currently at Vice/Waypoint) posted his recollection of his current and past salaries. Without knowing anything about those other companies, Giant Bomb stuck out to me.

I've had a lot of media jobs, so my memory is fuzzy on the older salaries, but this is my best guess:

1UP: 45k
MTV: 50k ("Permalancer")
G4: 55k
EGM: 72k
Giant Bomb: 65k (no raise over 4 years, iirc)
Kotaku: 77k
Waypoint: 90k

Today: $100k, thanks to yearly union pay raises.

Patrick lived in the San Fransisco area around 2011 and sometime later stayed at Giant Bomb while he moved back to the midwest. His LinkedIn (came up on Google, I wasn't stalking him) says he was Senior News Editor at Giant Bomb from April 2011 to December 2014.

As a Giant Bomb fan, this number seems criminally low. Giant Bomb paints itself as hip, close to its fans, etc., and $65K in the bay area is a slap in the face. I hope in the last 5 years something has changed, because I don't want to pay for premium anymore if the site can't give its staffers a living wage. NerdWallet's cost of living calculator reports 65K in SF is the same as $39.5K in Chicago or $29.5K in Columbus, OH. These are present-day numbers, they probably weren't quite as dire in 2011-2014.

Last edited:

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
My initial thought is, "wow, this guy has been overpaid most of his career. Good for him."

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has been involved with a company at its early stages I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff and the other senior members were making that much or less as well. I mean I don't know anything, but I doubt it was that everyone was making way more than him

Lack of a raise as the site grew is pretty shitty though

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I always thought these video game podcasting / news websites didn't make that much money to even pay employees 65k a year.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
This is the worst kind of cherry picking OP, you're removing the intent of his tweets completely.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
They were independantly owned at that point and he was good friends with everyone on staff? He hardly seems like someone that would have been discriminated against. Sometimes you just take a hit to work at somewhere you love.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Also it shows how disconnected people on this forum are when people are upset at 65k a year when the Vast Vast majority don't make anywhere near that amount of money a year.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Yikes. If I remember correctly Patrick wanted to work at Giantbomb who may not necessarily been looking to hire at the time? (wikipedia seemingly confirms). Combination of them taking advantage of that or being independent and not having money to give could be it. Surprised no raise even after CBS bought them out.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GiantBomb is a great site but yeah, it's not exactly fair to compare them to MTV, EGM, Vice, or Kotaku. They work on a much more threadbare budget and have a much smaller audience.

EZ Allies rakes in maybe $500,000 per year on Patreon. After production costs, that gets split between 8-9 people......I suspect the situation was much the same in the early days of Whiskey Media/GiantBomb.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
You should probably read the rest of what he said about working at GB. IE: Whiskey Media days, and not asking for raises. And also take into consideration the years he worked there. Not worth comparing it to 2020 SF numbers.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
I worked for a CBO (community based org) as a program manager, amongst other things, for nearly 9 years and the most I ever made was 48k. I lived in SF that entire time.

Tech, finance, and the public sector are generally the outliers in SF when it comes to outsized salaries. Not to say Patrick shouldn't have been paid more for the value he brought to Giant Bomb, but it doesn't surprise me.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very weird cherry-picking thread. If you wanted to ignore everything else about the tweet and just talk about GB, you could have posted this in the community thread.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
TBF, not all 4 of his years were in SF, and if you look at what the IGN and Gamespot people who were working in SF at the time were getting for compensation (according to Twitter, see Mary Kish ($50K) and Arthur Gies($50K)), $65K seems a lot higher than the industry standard.

Oct 25, 2017
Giant Bomb paints itself as "hip"?
If this isn't hip, I don't know what is
6g2MjLU.jpg

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
They were independantly owned at that point and he was good friends with everyone on staff? He hardly seems like someone that would have been discriminated against. Sometimes you just take a hit to work at somewhere you love.

Not to mention at the time I strongly recall him telling a story on the Bombcast about how before GB offered him the job, he was very nearly ready to just quit the industry altogether and move away - and in fact he moved away a few years later anyway. His employment history prior to GB was also anything but stable. It really is weird to frame this as GB doing something particularly bad.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If I told you how much I was paid for most of my career in both journalism and game dev you would be very depressed.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
This is the worst kind of cherry picking OP, you're removing the intent of his tweets completely.
Agreed.

Whatever salary he agreed to at the time is between him and the company and the time that he took the position. This isn't a question about whether his salary matches other people (like in the BA thread), since there's nothing to compare his salary to. Just because you feel that it's low does reflect anything on his expectations.

If he himself is not upset by that salary when he's listing it himself, then there's nothing to upset about. Save your pitchforks for better causes.

The point of his tweet is that he didn't feel that he had representation to ask for more until he was in a union and that bettered him financially. Not to throw others under the bus.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
$65k back in 2011 would have been fine in my area, but anywhere near SF? I don't know.

I am surprised he's only just now hitting $100k. He's one of the more celebrated and recognized writers in gaming.

If I told you how much I was paid for most of my career in both journalism and game dev you would be very depressed.

I know two ex game devs (back when we had to go into the office, I used to stop by their cubes daily), both nearly doubled their salaries by joining healthcare IT doing boring regular-ass programming. So I believe it. One worked for EA/Mythic, the other I forget.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It feels like a lot of people just don't have proactive conversations with bosses and managers. At some point, it's on the employee to push that... you will only be valued when you force the conversation and have an open conversation about it.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I remember when this dude was an intern at 1UP. He took over Luke Smith's (who also had a thread today) job when he left for Bungie. That's was like 13 years ago!