• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Last year when Ubisoft announced the Switch port of Child of Light, veteran creative director Patrick Plourde (AC: Brotherhood, Far Cry 3) teased a possible sequel with a tweet

In an interview to VGC Plourde explains the "four or five page" document is actually a summary of a Child of Light prequel, which would focus on childhood friends growing apart as they become adults.

"I know the major beats, the location, and that it would feature multiple protagonists," he said. "It would have two protagonists going on different paths in life with different motivations, linked by their friendship."

The game would be partly inspired by the ballet Swan Lake, Plourde said, and its story would examine the nature of both love and friendship, as well as how people change as they grow up.

However, the creative director insisted that, to his knowledge, the game is not in production at Ubisoft, and he doubts it will be anytime soon.

In fact, the themes of friendship and detachment were partly inspired by the fact that the group of developers responsible for the original game, who were made a core team after its release, have now mostly departed the company.

"I don't know if there's a Child of Light 2 that is in production, Ubisoft is big, but I'm not working on it," Plourde said. "Right now, I don't think there's a Child of Light 2 being produced… I'm not holding my breath."

"I don't think it's the type of game that Ubisoft wants to make…The company is not an adolescent company, it is a mature company. And the other things, in terms of portfolio, it's still supported – we ported it on Switch and we're still selling a bunch of copies, but it's just that right now it's all about games as a service. We can make money out of it, but you can make more money elsewhere. That's the problem of not being independent while making this."

Plourde did say that the upcoming live-action TV show for Child of Light "could open a door for a sequel, because you'd want to capitalize." Ultimately though, he doesn't believe a new game will happen.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/child-of-light-2-unlikely-in-development/

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
My wife will be heartbroken. She absolutely loves Child of Light and was expecting a sequel or prequel of some sort based on the previous buzz. :(

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Its unlikely to happen because the first game didnt sell well enough - has nothing to do with it being a service game or not lol.

But yeah for this kind of passion project, you would need support of first party like MS or Nintendo to convince Ubisoft to greenlight it at this point.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
If that was truly the reason they would not have made Mario x Rabbids, Hungry Shark World, South Park Fractured But Whole, Starlink, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Transference and Anno 1800. The Settlers is also coming out this year. Point being they still make non GaaS games.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Gaaaaaaaayyyyymmmmeeeessss as a seeeeeerrrrrrviiiiiiiiccceeeee
tenor.gif

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Its unlikely to happen because the first game didnt sell well enough - has nothing to do with it being a service game or not lol.

But yeah for this kind of passion project, you would need support of first party like MS or Nintendo to convince Ubisoft to greenlight it at this point.
do we have numbers to back the claim up? I feel like it sold pretty well for such a small budget game. I mean, he even said its selling "a bunch" of copies still.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck GAAS. Child of light was awesome in both gameplay and visuals and even story. To think we might never see a sequel or more games like it because it isn't a service is all kinds of stupid. Boooo Ubisoft.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This is why when people say video games are not art I get all reaction-image-of-dude-about-make-a-rebuttal-who-thinks-twice-and-stays-quiet.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
If that was truly the reason they would not have made Mario x Rabbids, Starlink, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Transference and Anno 1800

Mario + Rabbids and Starlink do have microtransactions OR DLCs / season pass. Not sure about the others. (pretty sure Anno 1800 will have a plethora of DLCs looking at the previous games)

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
The fact that he is so clueless about a sequels possible existence speaks volumes that it will likely never be made. Major bummer. Hope they will continue to port the original over the years to come.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I think Ubi would do it.

They have released games recently that aren't GAAS. They've had a pretty decent balance between the two. With the TV show coming soon, I think there is a chance.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Mario + Rabbids and Starlink do have microtransactions OR DLCs / season pass. Not sure about the others. (pretty sure Anno 1800 will have a plethora of DLCs looking at the previous games)
Having paid DLC doesnt necessarily mean it's GaaS. If it did then that'd mean GaaS games have existed since mid 2000s.
GaaS would usually mean it's a continuously supported "live game" with/without mtx (as Destiny was GaaS without mtx until ROI)....with drip feed content throughout the year for a year or longer.

The "live support" is actually what makes a GaaS game different from non GaaS, and none of the games I mentioned are live games wherein devs make changes, introduce things every other week.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the first game (although the rhyming became obnoxious and overwrought) and I would have bought a sequel.
Oh well.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
But Ubi has made games like Anno, and Star Link. Are those considered GAAS?

Yeah, and Mario + Rabbids and South Park too. Not to mention their VR titles and that weird Ode game. I don't buy it. Not every Ubisoft game is GaaS. Child of Light 2 is definitely happening. If not, it's not for that reason.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Please release the UbiArt Framework engine if you're not using it anymore, Ubisoft.

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Having paid DLC doesnt necessarily mean it's GaaS. If it did then that'd mean GaaS games have existed since mid 2000s.
GaaS would usually mean it's a continuously supported game post launch with mtx.

I can give you Mario + Rabbids, but Starlink does have microtransactions as digital part ships and Anno's previous DLCs were borderline mtx. I think what he intended is that Child of Light is not well suited for season pass, DLCs, microtransactions,... any sort of post launch support.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I don't know what to say. The first game was cool and cute, but for me, apart from the artstyle, it wasn't really remarkable.

But the "Game as a Service" is deplorable. I wonder if it was the case in all Ubisoft games back in the day, probably AssCreed would never existed.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ultimate goal of AAA publishers seems to be making just one game that will live forever and make all the money.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Patrick Plourde is such a great guy. You can just see the passion and love for his work, and his appreciation for the fans is so neat. He actually retweeted my artwork I sent him, which made my day.

Child of Light is such an incredible game, everything about it is a wonder. I really can't put into words about how much this game means to me. I hope that maybe one day we can be part of another grand adventure of Lumeria. One day...

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever happened to that whole UbiArt platform push? Valiant Hearts was also an awesome game. You'd think even if they aren't GaaS these games are low risk and a sequel to Child of Light would surely make money. Keeping a studio open to churn out AA titles like this would still seem profitable. There's probably something else going on here.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Whatever happened to that whole UbiArt platform push? Valiant Hearts was also an awesome game. You'd think even if they aren't GaaS these games are low risk and a sequel to Child of Light would surely make money. Keeping a studio open to churn out AA titles like this would still seem profitable. There's probably something else going on here.

Greed. Ubisoft switched their business strategy to LIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SERVICES and TRIPLE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY games which bring in more money.