• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday, Betsy Wollheim, president, co-publisher, and co-editor-in-chief of DAW, posted on Facebook reacting to another one of those "the author is not your bitch" posts. The post was about Rothfuss, and her response is surprisingly candid about one of DAW's star authors. The full post:

This article is right: authors don't owe their readership books, but what about the publishers who paid them?
Book publishing is not as lucrative as many other professions, and publishers rely on their strongest sellers to keep their companies (especially small companies like DAW) afloat.
When authors don't produce, it basically fucks their publishers. And I don't get the "blame the editor" part at all. Don't you think we editors want to publish the books we buy? That is just nuts. When I delayed the publication of book two, Pat was very open with his fans--they knew what was happening. I've never seen a word of book three.

https://www.facebook.com/betsy.wollheim/posts/3449737608372826

Sorry for fans anticipating book three, but it looks like Pat has moved on.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
at this point it makes sense. The 'main plot' of books 1 and 2 from what I recall seemed like too much of a cluster to properly close out the flashback portions to now go into the new plot without it being a brand new series of books. If he moved on, that's that. I basically gave up on ever getting a third book and book 2 already was enough for me.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
There's a side-story in the Netflix show "Working Moms" where one of the main characters completely blows off her publisher because she no longer believes in the hypothesis of her parenting self-help book.

It doesn't go well from what I recall.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
At this point I've moved on too. When I first read Name of the Wind like four years ago I thought I would be able to catch the series's end in time, but nope.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday, Betsy Wollheim, president, co-publisher, and co-editor-in-chief of DAW, posted on Facebook reacting to another one of those "the author is not your bitch" posts. The post was about Rothfuss, and her response is surprisingly candid about one of DAW's star authors. The full post:

https://www.facebook.com/betsy.wollheim/posts/3449737608372826

Sorry for fans anticipating book three, but it looks like Pat has moved on.
I got that impression the last time I saw him at a comic con, he seems solely interested in being a father and doesn't seem interested in writing anymore. Which is 100% fine, I just think he has handled it horribly, especially since he pitched it from the beginning as being a completed trilogy.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish authors would just tell readers the truth.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's a shame, I was hoping to read a book 3 at some point down the road. I thought books 1 and 2 were fantastic.

Oct 26, 2017
:(.

Having gotten that out of the way, I'd be happy for a short one page summary of the major plot points / resolutions he planned on...just for a resolution as he might have envisioned it.

edit: obligatory
whats-in-the-box-1324413231.png

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seemed pretty obvious that the first trilogy was setting up a new one set in the present, but he's guaranteed that I'll never purchase a book he writes on release.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I'm not particularly sympathetic to the "authors don't owe you A THING" argument when these series are often sold explicitly as a series of books that will be finished later - the promise of continuation is implicit and often explicit in these cases. You shouldn't be able to sue them or anything but be pissed off at them? Yeah, that makes sense. You were told "this is a fundamentally incomplete thing, but I will finish it promise. Now please buy it" - but they're not holding up their end of the deal.

Honestly if he would just come out and say that the series is done and it won't be finished. Then the grieving process can begin and people can move on. This weird limbo does no one any favors.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Yeah, fans have largely given up as well. Pat has made it painfully obvious that he'd rather do anything but finish off DoS. The cancellation of the show didn't help either.

Oct 30, 2017
Hasn't he joked about the trilogy basically just being a million-word prologue?

I have both novels but need to restart the first one. Got 3/4 of the way through before putting it aside. Just went back to reading Tolkien 🙃

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
In the comments she also said this -

-It will be the last book in Kvothe's backstory, but Pat originally wanted to write more in this world. I don't know what he wants to do now. Or even if he wants to write at all.

-I don't think he's written anything for six years

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
In the comments she also said this -

-It will be the last book in Kvothe's backstory, but Pat originally wanted to write more in this world. I don't know what he wants to do now. Or even if he wants to write at all.

-I don't think he's written anything for six years

wow

I'm sure I remember rothfuss saying he was getting back to writing this, but I can't find it now

past caring anyway

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
That's how it goes sometimes. My thing is there are always entirely too many fantasy titles coming out to be overly concerned over a single series ending or going on an long hiatus. Shit, I waited something like 10 years for Glen Cook to release another Black Company book iirc. In the meantime I found hundreds of other titles waiting to be read. There's always more to read and if an old flame of an author decides to finish their series a decade later, then throw it on the pile.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Rothfuss a pretty prolific blogger? I admit, I haven't followed any progress he's made on this book (which sounds like none). I can't believe he just never mentions it. At least we get "updates" from GRRM. Not sure which is worse, constantly giving hope and then just not delivering or saying nothing at all.

Although, I didn't like Wise Man's Fear near as much as Name of the Wind so if he never ends up finishing, it won't bother me as much.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I purchased the first book recently, haven't started it as been way to busy...so I should just not bother and pick up another series?

getting tired of reading series that are not concluded

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Watching from afar, it seemed like the Worldbuilders charity gave Pat more enjoyment than the books have (though that is pure speculation, of course). It is a shame, but definitely feel for DAW, as it's been nine years since WMF.

(I wonder if the novella helped curb some of that disappointing wait for the publisher.)

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I purchased the first book recently, haven't started it as been way to busy...so I should just not bother and pick up another series?

getting tired of reading series that are not concluded
I wouldn't. The books are definitely good but not so amazing that i feel that you have to read them.

Last edited:

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
So the author hasn't said a word? Whether he's working on it or an ETA or anything? That's kind of fucked up if so.

I really enjoyed the first book but the second one fell flat with me. I was getting a bit annoyed with the main character having way too much plot armor, or whatever you want to call it. And then he goes and bangs a nymph or something. Really became stupid.

And I kept thinking...okay when are we going to wrap up this flashback stuff and get to the present day? There is no way if a book 3 ever comes out that it wraps the story up. What a cluster.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I've been patiently waiting for book 3 for years now, not saying it's a bad thing, just looking forward to it. From reading Pat's blog and other stuff around his community it sounds like he has dealt with some mental health issues in the past, I suspect that it may have effected his output. Either way I love his writing and I wish him the best even if he chooses not to write anymore.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing that gives me even the slightest pause about the Kingkiller series is that I recall a tv adaptation getting picked up, which I assume is dead now.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Wise Man's Fear was pretty terrible, but I only really tolerated Name of the Wind in the first place.

The overarching plot for the series isn't exactly complicated, so it shouldn't be an issue resolving plot lines. Sounds like this is more of a passion issue.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks for the fans. I'm always hearing about how people are waiting on this, and now I'm glad I never picked this up. While I'm not someone who badly needs an ending to enjoy a story, I'm not going to start a series I know won't finish.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get it. People like to call readers selfish when we want to read a book series before we die of old age, I get it, how dare we.

That said, these authors that take 10+ years to write a book in their epic series just guarantee that myself, and many others like me, don't buy book series until they are finished anymore.

I don't have time to reread GRRM and Rothfuss books over and over every decade because I can no longer remember what the fuck was happening in them when I read the last book, when I was in HIGH SCHOOl a decade ago lol

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Book 1 was great. Refused to read book 2 despite my girlfriend thinking I would like it b/c I figured it was going to be another Song of Ice and Fire.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Not surprised in the least.
I'm long past caring about anything Rothfuss might possibly write, either way. Book 2 was some juvenile male fantasy drivel.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Isn't Rothfuss a pretty prolific blogger? I admit, I haven't followed any progress he's made on this book (which sounds like none). I can't believe he just never mentions it. At least we get "updates" from GRRM. Not sure which is worse, constantly giving hope and then just not delivering or saying nothing at all.

Although, I didn't like Wise Man's Fear near as much as Name of the Wind so if he never ends up finishing, it won't bother me as much.

For all the shit we give Martin, you at least know he's been working on other things like the show, side-stories, graphic novels, lore encyclopedias, etc. And he has drip-fed chapters from the new book. Even if they were just edits/cuts from ADWD, he still has more on page than zero.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I get it. People like to call readers selfish when we want to read a book series before we die of old age, I get it, how dare we.

That said, these authors that take 10+ years to write a book in their epic series just guarantee that myself, and many others like me, don't buy book series until they are finished anymore.

I don't have time to reread GRRM and Rothfuss books over and over every decade because I can no longer remember what the fuck was happening in them when I read the last book, when I was in HIGH SCHOOl a decade ago lol
The problem with this mentality is that then a lot of new authors will never get their work off the ground because most books have to be series now and if people don't buy it then we will miss the chance to read a lot of new stories.

GRRM and Rothfuss are kind of outliers as well so don't think we should punish everyone because of them.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I've moved on too, sadly. Used to love this series ever since reading the first one at 16 or so, but after a while with zero updates, you just stop caring.

Of course, were the third book to release this year or so, I'd reread the first two and would most likely be very excited. But yeah, it's no good right now.

Writing is hard as hell and he's done real good in the last few years with his charity (on top of having some mental health stuff iirc, which can't be easy especially with a job as stressful and public as this one). I wonder what the actual progress or plan with the third book is and why nothing has been truly said about it in years. Because if the case is this being cancelled or indefinitely put on hold or whatever, I guess this should be said for those who have waited for so long. This thing with the editor doesn't sound promising, at least.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Wow, reading her other comments, the editor really does not hold back. It sounds like the lines of communication are essentially closed. I had considered starting this series at some point, but the warning lights are flashing too much to ignore.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
For all the shit we give Martin, you at least know he's been working on other things like the show, side-stories, graphic novels, lore encyclopedias, etc. And he has drip-fed chapters from the new book. Even if they were just edits/cuts from ADWD, he still has more on page than zero.

Yeah for sure. The thing with this series too is large chunks of Wise Man's Fear felt super unnecessary and pretty cringe-y. I'm sure those that have read it know what I'm talking about. He's not weaving together huge, sweeping tales from across the globe like Martin has to do to bring it all together for an ending. WMF felt like a collection of Kvothe novellas or short stories.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Gonna have to give it to the man for boosting the fantasy genre to such prolific heights that Hollywood decided to adapt a slew of series to tv. Regardless of how you feel about that man or his series, dude did the genre an absolute solid for television as producers were chasing the next big fantasy title seemingly nonstop.

drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
I learned my lesson at an early age and stopped getting into TV shows, comics, and book series that aren't finished, or at the very least haven't reached the end of a major arc that's a good stopping point. And it fucking sucks because with how prevalent trilogies and series are, it means I'm not supporting new creators basically until they have reached a certain level of success where they no longer need my support. I hate it, but there's so much media out there that getting into something that may or may not see an end is just not worth it.

Well, except for Brandon Sanderson. I read his early stuff and then the rest of his stuff and I'm on this ride for the next thirty years or however long it'll take for the Cosmere to come to an end.

That being said, as I understand it Rothfuss in particular had a bunch of personal problems that kept on piling up and if not writing is what allows him to be happy, that's clearly the way to go for him. He pops up in enough places that it's not like he's just wallowing in self-pity on his sofa or something. He's still active and working, just not necessarily on a book.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
In book 3, Kvothe would have fucked inter dimensional beings without knowing anything about them, but since he's the best at all and a super genius, he would have realized that their G-Spot was in between their toes and you had to press them all at the same time, and then in a sequence with intervals of 1 milisecond for them to get an orgasm.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Well, except for Brandon Sanderson. I read his early stuff and then the rest of his stuff and I'm on this ride for the next thirty years or however long it'll take for the Cosmere to come to an end.

The issue with Sanderson isn't that he's on a hiatus ever, it's just the man writes too many damn books at once. Dude is a human typewriter. Just doesn't stop writing.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a bummer. While I get the whole x author is not your bitch thing and know fans can be toxic, it's definitely shitty to string your fan base along for an ending that will never come. ASOIAF and Kingkiller chronicle are an unfinished story. In the former's case people could have been following the series for over two decades and the only ending they'll get is the show's mess. KKC needed more than one book to bring us up to the present time. It's frustrating to hold out hope for a continuation of the story you'll never get.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
Well, that sucks I guess but I was done with the series anyways, I think. I really enjoyed the first one, but the second really left a bad taste in my mouth. A couple of my friends loooove him though (like traveling hours to see Rothfuss speak) and will be sorely disappointed.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
This is the reason I love Sanderson but have cooled off on Rothfuss. Brandon writes faster than you can read. Lol

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have to give it to the man for boosting the fantasy genre to such prolific heights that Hollywood decided to adapt a slew of series to tv.
D&D and HBO are the ones who gave the series and the genre the massive boost not GRRM. Hollywood isn't adapting more genre works because the ASOIAF novels were good.

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017
This is the reason I love Sanderson but have cooled off on Rothfuss. Brandon writes faster than you can read. Lol
love sanderson. The man literally has progress bars for his books.

he just finished stormlight book 4, and he just so casually says in his blog 'see you in 18 months when i start to draft book 5, I've got to start and finish xx and yy before then' :D What's mad is that you can go back through his updates and look at the dates, he's like clockwork, a true man of his word.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Here's where I stand with big heavily planned out fantasy series right now:
A Song of Ice and Fire - Don't care about it any more, completely moved on
Kingkiller Chronicles - Barely care any more, moving on
Gentlemen Bastards - Next book is finally done, waiting on a release date, still invested
Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere - A book for one series of out of many in the Cosmere comes out AT LEAST once a year, and then sometimes new shit comes out too, totally invested

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
love sanderson. The man literally has progress bars for his books.

he just finished stormlight book 4, and he just so casually says in his blog 'see you in 18 months when i start to draft book 5, I've got to start and finish xx and yy before then' :D What's mad is that you can go back through his updates and look at the dates, he's like clockwork, a true man of his word.
I haven't read his blog but I think he'll probably write Skyward 3 before Stormlight 5. Fuckin loved the first 2. It's YA but Spensa is one of my favorite Sanderson protagonists.