• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
An update on Embark Studio by Patrick Söderlund. You might remember Söderlund from articles last year about him leaving EA after they gave him 20 million in 2017 as an incentive to stay working with them.

https://medium.com/embarkstudios/an...UjcIwmtdGFD8fUJZFdsh_jLesjkcSBDMwd5UZoffa9Lao

Article goes into more detail on the studio philosophy and touches on their game.

Some three months have passed since we started Embark, and things around here are taking form.

We've read through thousands of applications, hired over 50 people, moved into our own house in the heart of Stockholm's Old Town, and begun building what looks to become our first game.

So I thought now's as good a time as any to share an update on why we started this venture. I want to let you in on some decisions we've made, and give you a glimpse into our progress so far.

Their project is described as "a cooperative free-to-play action game set in a distant future, about overcoming seemingly impossible odds by working together".

1*pZT3D8OuYSRXoXauXCEmVA.jpeg

Last edited:

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Have to say, the concept art and short description reminded me of Death Stranding.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Love this, he could have easily gone to another company and made the bucks sitting at the top. Instead he's started this studio in the gaming industry.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
I too thought of Death Stranding, but it should be noted that the similarities boils down to mysterious Sci-Fi in ragged boreal terrain.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Also notable:

Patrick Soderlund said:
Lots about this first game of ours will change and evolve as we progress. With that caveat out of the way, I can tell you that it's a cooperative free-to-play action game set in a distant future, about overcoming seemingly impossible odds by working together.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond getting started with our first game, we have one large overarching ambition; in essence, we think it's too hard for people that aren't professional game developers to create games, and we want to blur the line between playing and making, with games and tools that empower anyone to create.

Just like anyone today can produce their own videos, write their own blogs, or make their own music, we imagine a world where everyone is able to create and share meaningful interactive experiences. Our belief is that the more people that are empowered to create, the better, more interesting and more diverse games will become.

I'm interested to get their opinion on Dreams. It seems like they might want to explore the same ideas in future projects.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Yep, it looks definitely like Death Stranding.
But that must not be a bad thing. Looking forward to this.

Dec 14, 2017
I dig the casual astronaut design a lot, also knee jerk impression is indeed death starnding ish, but it sounds like it's own thing.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
The visuals in that environmental test are incredible! Likely targeting next gen platforms (and PC of course).

As far as a "cooperative free-to-play action game set in a distant future, about overcoming seemingly impossible odds by working together" goes. I'm definitely into the distant future setting, and I like action games. Not as keen on cooperative titles though, and free-to-play implies there will be some other form of monitization, which is off-putting (though I'd be open to depending on actual implementation).

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I like the short Video of the enviorments but the character design isn't for me. Why wear an hermetic sealed suit (by the looks of it) with clothes on top of it.
Fashion Statement?

Last edited:

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Looks neat, but if it's free-to-play (and headed by someone from EA) it's probably going to be a mess.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Looks good. I hope it has some catch or draw to set it apart from other coop survival games. Let's wait and see.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Why?

If done right this could be awesome.

Doesn't really work in pve loot games I think.
Imagine how bad MHW would be if it relied micro transactions for funding.

That said, being F2P gives an excuse to have micro transactions at all and it doesn't cost anything to test it so I guess I would have a look. At least they don't try to have the cake and eat it too.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Looks/sounds like a post-apocalyptic deal where the air has become unbreathable or something and you need to team up with others to survive. Might be interesting. In any case I don't think it'll be anything like Death Stranding. At least that's what my cracked crystal ball is telling me.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Doesn't really work in pve loot games I think.
Imagine how bad MHW would be if it relied micro transactions for funding.

That said, being F2P gives an excuse to have micro transactions at all and it doesn't cost anything to test it so I guess I would have a look. At least they don't try to have the cake and eat it too.

Path of Exile is a great PvE game! :)