• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the actual piece itself deserved its own thread, as a previous thread was made to just announce the show being back for another season.

Aug 5, 2019
User banned (permanent): sexist trolling
"74% of developers are male"

Pretty much sums up the percentage of people who play real video games and not smartphone games.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think the part about gamers should know more about what happens in the industry and development cycles... Is never going to happen in the vast majority of cases. People people really don't care where their clothes are made, how their chickens were raised or how much overtime goes into a video game. It's only enthusiast sites like ERA etc that get a glimpse into the way development works and then that's not enough people to make a change.

I do agree that the industry should unionize, I just don't see it happening quickly. It needs someone big like Sony, Nintendo or MS to roll it out and others will follow.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I watched the first few minutes of this before I went to work, gonna watch the rest tonight. Seemed pretty good from what I saw.

Don't let the first post derail the thread from the actual issues.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Fortnite is the second reason why Drake is friends with 14 years old".

God damm

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
I just watched the episode and loved it, glad the "dark side" of game development is getting more mainstream attention.

SideNote: The graphics department deserves major credit for using the entire stage as a screen (inc. the floor), while other shows just use a box in the top-left corner.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That was damn good, and I want the set designs to design my life

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I suffered a lot from over work, I remember waking up on the floor by the desk unsure of how I even got there and getting back up to immediately start working again. I was working 10-12 hours a day plus weekends and was told I wasn't working enough because I had to take an hour a day to check up on my mentally ill mother. They told me Either I love my mom or my job. Pretty sure some of the health issues I've got are from being so sleep deprived. A lot of other similar shit like in this video too.

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
How is this show in general?

The show's name scared me off but their reasoning seems sound.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Patriot Act has been straight up fire pertaining to certain episodes (like NRA, Bolsanaro and now this). For an industry that enjoys the largest revenue in entertainment by a margin of more than all of its competitors combined, it fucks people on both ends- manipulating consumers via gambling or gambling-esque monetization schemes and the developers by crunching their souls as well espousing toxic workplace attitudes.

It is amazing just how much of the general people as well as politicians have turned a blind eye because of the convenience of old attitude, "It's just a game".

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I suffered a lot from over work, I remember waking up on the floor by the desk unsure of how I even got there and getting back up to immediately start working again. I was working 10-12 hours a day plus weekends and was told I wasn't working enough because I had to take an hour a day to check up on my mentally ill mother. They told me Either I love my mom or my job. Pretty sure some of the health issues I've got are from being so sleep deprived. A lot of other similar shit like in this video too.
Fuck N1cal1s

Well you just convinced me to not buy from their catalog.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Saw this posted on Reddit and was instantly hooked on this show. Hasan is extremely likeable and this was a very good piece

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
How is this show in general?

The show's name scared me off but their reasoning seems sound.
The Patriot Act (w/ Hasan Minaj) is similar to Last Week Tonight (w/ John Oliver). Both shows spend an entire episode doing a well researched deep dive into one topic/story, with comedy sprinkled in.

Hasan Minaj & John Oliver are both alumni of The Daily Show (w/ Jon Stewart), who got their own show after Stewart retired, so they have similar humor & tone.

If you don't have Netflix, you can still watch every episode of The Patriot Act on youTube for free:

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I'm watching this, great as usual until he put Apex Legends along with Fortnite and LoL when talking about extreme crunch.

From what we know, Apex refuse to go at that rate to avoid crunch, this is why we have so few game updated in comparison to a game like Fortnite.

I find it pretty lame honestly, what do you think about that?

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017
I'm watching this, great as usual until he put Apex Legends along with Fortnite and LoL when talking about extreme crunch.

From what we know, Apex refuse to go at that rate to avoid crunch, this is why we have so few game updated in comparison to a game like Fortnite.

I find it pretty lame honestly, what do you think about that?
I know nothing about the AL team and work practices, but wanting to take it slow doesn't mean there isn't crunch. The size of the team and the production pipeline all impact the need for crunch.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I'm not so sure that the customers of your products can do anything to help much. The best I can do is call it out on forums and not purchase those products while proclaiming why. Which usually gets shut down as "entitled GAMERS tm", "that's how business works", "it's not illegal", etc, when talking to peers here or elsewhere. So I'll continue trying to do my part, but I think the answer is in what other workers have done to get unionized before.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This was great. Had no idea this show existed. Thank you for bringing this up.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Really well done.
Researched, with good infographics, and funny to boot.
More aimed at the non-gamers, will make sure to share it around to raise awareness.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
What can I do about crunch? I don't work for a gaming software company. I'm just a consumer of games. I avoided games like Red Dead and I don't give any money to Fortnite/Epic. I've also decided not to support CD Project Red. And I'm debating if I should not purchase Death Stranding because of the crunch it is going through. However, I feel that not supporting the games means layoffs and other bad practices.