• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
TweakTown: "Patriot might've low-key revealed the PS5's first external SSD solution for high-speed gaming and data transfers."

At PAX East, Patriot Gaming will publicly test out its new external Viper PXD M.2 SSD at PAX East with a PlayStation 4 to see how the drive works with consoles. And the game they're using for the test is Insomniac's Spider-Man, the same game Sony used to showcase the PS5's ultra-fast loading times.

This test could be a tease for the PlayStation 5's external storage solutions and compatibility for the console's customized SSD. Massive speed discrepancies are expected between current external HDDs and the new higher-end PCIe 4.0 SSD found in the PlayStation 5, and Patriot's compact and lightweight 2TB PXD could be a solution to this problem.

The Viper PXD is a PCIe 3.0 4x M.2 form-factor SSD that utilizes Phison's E13T memory controller to hit up to 1GB/sec read and write speeds on the NVMe 1.3 protocol.

The PlayStation 4 can't utilize the PXD's full power, though; the PXD has USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C interface, but the PS4's most powerful port is the USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-A port on the back that hits 5Gbit/sec, which roughly allows for 625MB/s data transfers.

So the PlayStation 4 will only use roughly 62% of the PXD's maximum data speeds. The PlayStation 5, on the other hand, is likely to feature new USB 3.2 Gen2 ports to enable faster reads and writes to and from external storage.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Spoiler alert: it will run like shit. An SSD of any speed will be heavily bottlenecked on PS4 due to the slow io, especially running through USB.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
Awareness? Wouldn't most attending PAX be pretty aware of what's on the horizon?

I meant, Patriot raising awareness for their external SSD solution for consoles (now and upcoming).

I don't get it. Doesn't the PS4 already play games off external drives? What am I missing here.

That is correct. This is Patriot showing their next-gen external M.2 SSD meant for consoles, not just for PS4. I'm sure this is meant for PS5 and Series X, but they can't obviously test on those right now (I'm sure they'd love to).

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I meant, Patriot raising awareness for their external SSD solution for consoles (now and upcoming).

That is correct. This is Patriot showing their next-gen external M.2 SSD meant for consoles, not just for PS4. I'm sure this is meant for PS5 and Series X, but they can't obviously test on those right now (I'm sure they'd love to).

But what does "meant for consoles" mean? Is it some proprietary connection?

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
But what does "meant for consoles" mean? Is it some proprietary connection?
It's just a PR stunt. There's nothing of value to be learned here

That's what it seems like, per Patriot Gaming's press release. Much like Herman Miller and Logitech teaming up for "gaming furniture" or Puma making a sock-like "gaming shoe".

We can't think of a better way to be immersed with the gaming community than to be a part of PAX EAST, and debuting PXD with its first public showcase is a great way to let gamers know that they have an exciting alternative coming in April 2020," said Roger Shinmoto, Vice President at VIPER GAMING by PATRIOT

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
There is a small amount of gain using an SSD in a PS4 but I am way more curious how the SSD solutions in the XSX and PS5 will affect external ssds or changing the internal ssd.

I mean it sounds like they are using connecting an SSD over USB. Not really anything this is going to tell us. Getting gains by using an external SSD has been a thing since these consoles launched.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Just throwing it out there since it makes sense to me, but if Sony allows for games to run on hardware with 1000mb speeds, that kind of throws a wrench in the idea that Sony would be using a crazy 6GB/s SSD as the basis for game development tech.

I dunno, maybe in missing something.