• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, let's step back and see how something like this could happen.

Trolls and bots are everywhere on Twitter. What are the chances that someone who spews shit would actually have a profile, let alone one that reveals anything about their personal life? Michael's profile is the exception, not the norm.

And if you were harassed by those trolls, what would be the chances of you visiting one of their profile pages?

If they want compassion from others, they should be compassionate themselves. No, they don't have to be "perfect". They can start by spreading the truth instead of lying with bullshit like "trans parents are forcing children to become trans too!!1".

With a bit of effort on their part, maybe they can be featured in more stories like Patton's.

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
Even the biggest asshole is still human. If we are only gonna help people who only say nice stuff, how nice is the person who comes up with that rule?

Being nice is not mandatory and nobody's nice 24/7

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty much everything we are is due to circumstances. As a behavior therapist, changing circumstances is the greatest tool for changing behavior.
Just as a lil fyi, i agree with you but people are gonna dog pile you for suggesting such a thing.
To a lot of people here, once a bigot, always a bigot and they deserve nothing from anyone other than scorn and humility.
People forget that people are malleable my nature and a lot of what they think and do is drilled into them either at birth or in early-mid childhood dev.

a lot of people on here don't care for the idea of changing people. they don't believe its possible, even.
but yeah...
I just wish Era was less cynical and shitty tbh.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
a lot of people on here don't care for the idea of changing people. they don't believe its possible, even.
but yeah...

Of course it's possible. The vast majority of these people are borderline cultists, stupidly flailing about with the rest of their tribe against a hated enemy. It's not as though anyone really believes perspectives can't change, ignorance can't be rectified and people can't become better.

But we're not all millionaire comedians responding to a sick troll. It's not so easy on a macro level. We can all nod along to heartwarming stories of black dudes befriending and changing klan members and Phelps kids abandoning their church and working against their old causes, but most of us have our own goddamn problems and it's not reasonable to ask us to kill them kindness. Not while their engaging and enabling serious issues for much better people.

Fuck 'em.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
The lesson we should take from this isn't "let's stalk this guy" but instead that like duckroll said above we should help for the sake of helping and not because someone meets our own personal standard of goodness.
I don't wanna shit this thread up, but I feel like you could've easily avoided saying something so silly. These people will do anything to make minorities suffer, and them being rewarded for it is confusing to a lot of people, including me. This isn't gonna change him as a person.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Shitty person; needs money.
Non-shitty person; needs money.

Era: Both are equal so let's try to change shitty person's years of ingrained behavior by throwing cash at it because a celebrity we like told us to.

People aren't angry at this because we want anyone to die. But with limited funds, it's called prioritizing. You're rewarding shitty behavior; meanwhile someone who's lived a decent life gets left out in the cold because a celebrity didn't take up their cause for some feel good morality lesson of the day.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
wouldn't that money be better served to someone who's not an asshole
Yeah, the formula is
[universal value of human life] * (1 - [fraction of the time you have been an asshole]) * [whether you have used Pineapple Toppings for pizza (0 or 1)]​
So finding someone who has been an asshole less of the time could have been objectively much more valuable.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey. People who argued against the Charity Principle thread – you know who you are – pay attention to this.

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
this is some bs, people dont change. especially not on his age man...even thought i am happy he got some help, because healthcare should never be connected to a price, i still feel like this is not the right move from patton

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Good on Patton. Although once again, the asshole who whines gets something while I'm sure there are a lot of your compatriots that get nothing since they're already good people and don't spend their time spewing their shit or trolling known people.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Era: Both are equal so let's try to change shitty person's years of ingrained behavior by throwing cash at it because a celebrity we like told us to.

People aren't angry at this because we want anyone to die. But with limited funds, it's called prioritizing. You're rewarding shitty behavior; meanwhile someone who's lived a decent life gets left out in the cold because a celebrity didn't take up their cause for some feel good morality lesson of the day.

Well said.

Fuck the guy. If I had the monet to help someone then it would be someone who deserved it.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You could also argue that rewarding someone who has a pretty extensive history of being a shitty dude for more of his shitty behavior isn't the best idea.

You could also argue that framing Patton's actions as 'rewarding' shitty behaviour is a bit disingenuous and belies the facts.

Woman: Oh my god! That man is unconscious! Someone do CPR!
Era:But have you checked his twitter posts???

If this thread is anything to go by, there is some bleak truth to this.

resetera: "socialized healthcare let's go!"
also resetera "why should we help people we don't like?!"

Haha!

wouldn't that money be better served to someone who's not an asshole

How do you even begin to audit that?

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
It really has the whole "defeat hate with kindness" feel to it. That sentiment is a really frustrating one for a lot of people. I may be wrong here but I would bet if you took the posts of people annoyed or upset by this and those applauding this and split them up, it would be extremely racially divided.

5On3E4p.gif

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dude is making bank on that gofundme page. Patton posted a newer tweet suggesting that maybe this dude pay it forward. Let's see. I'm all for the wait and see approach with cases like this.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Already crossing yourself off the list are we?
If you're calling them an asshole, why don't you give them like $20 and see if they become a better person?

We should all be helping each other out. We have the numbers to go against our oppressors.
How about we help ourselves and those in our community before helping our oppressors?

I don't get what is hard to grasp about this, but everyone seems to bend over backwards to buy bullets for someone pointing a gun at them.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're calling them an asshole, why don't you give them like $20 and see if they become a better person?

Maybe when they have pressing medical needs that must be crowdfunded and when I can afford to help. Having a high profile Twitter account would help, too.

Patton isn't rewarding someone for being an asshole, he's helping out someone with medical problems, who is also an asshole. I seriously doubt he's throwing money at someone just in hopes they turn a new leaf, over doing it because it could be life saving, or because he can actually make a difference.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Just as a lil fyi, i agree with you but people are gonna dog pile you for suggesting such a thing.
To a lot of people here, once a bigot, always a bigot and they deserve nothing from anyone other than scorn and humility.
People forget that people are malleable my nature and a lot of what they think and do is drilled into them either at birth or in early-mid childhood dev.

but yeah...

This. It's one of the things that really winds me up about this place. A lot of people here are just awful people with awful attitudes towards others, but they're awful in a way that makes them believe they're perfect and above reproach. I, for one, refuse to believe they have never, ever done anything wrong in their lives.

EDIT: Also, it's not about helping the guy to try and make him a better person, it's about helping him because you're the better person, and it's the right thing to do. Unless you're saying some humans are less worthy of help than others...

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Maybe when they have pressing medical needs that must be crowdfunded and when I can afford to help. Having a high profile Twitter account would help, too.

Patton isn't rewarding someone for being an asshole, he's helping out someone with medical problems, who is also an asshole. I seriously doubt he's throwing money at someone just in hopes they turn a new leaf, over doing it because it could be life saving, or because he can actually make a difference.
He was specifically helping a person who was an asshole to him. So yes, Patton did do it hoping the person would turn a new leaf. It was the whole point of his tweet; otherwise he'd just do this all the time to random GoFundMe pages, but he doesn't! He specifically singled out an asshole and tried to shame people into taking a moral high road in helping an asshole for the sole purpose of changing said asshole.

Also people have a lot of pressing needs that aren't just medically related. Also what does having a high profile twitter account have to do with being in need? That's seriously the grossest thing I've ever heard. People should suffer because theirs or someone else's follower count is low? The fuck; this thread is seriously pissing me off!

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was specifically helping a person who was an asshole to him. So yes, Patton did do it hoping the person would turn a new leaf. It was the whole point of his tweet; otherwise he'd just do this all the time to random GoFundMe pages, but he doesn't! He specifically singled out an asshole and tried to shame people into taking a moral high road in helping an asshole for the sole purpose of changing said asshole.

Also people have a lot of pressing needs that aren't just medically related. Also what does having a high profile twitter account have to do with being in need? That's seriously the grossest thing I've ever heard. People should suffer because theirs or someone else's follower count is low? The fuck; this thread is seriously pissing me off!

What the fuck?

If I had sizable influence on any platform, I would use it to highlight people in need as I came across them. The amount of effort it would take on my part would be so disproportionate to the effect it could have that it wouldn't make sense for me not to.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
This. It's one of the things that really winds me up about this place. A lot of people here are just awful people with awful attitudes towards others, but they're awful in a way that makes them believe they're perfect and above reproach. I, for one, refuse to believe they have never, ever done anything wrong in their lives.
Hey, nice rainbow avatar you got there. You in the community or an ally? Let me ask a question; you've got $100 to donate. You pick a racist asshole to give your money to or a surgery fund for a trans individual?

That's the fucking point!

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Hey, nice rainbow avatar you got there. You in the community or an ally? Let me ask a question; you've got $100 to donate. You pick a racist asshole to give your money to or a surgery fund for a trans individual?

That's the fucking point!

Everyone is deserving of help. I give them $50 each. If I say "You deserve to die because I don't like you", what kind of person does that make me?

That's the fucking point.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It always seems to be these racist white dudes who get rewarded for being shitheads... yep, sounds like America.
Who cares about this dude.
You can't have this mindset, you're basically saying it's ok for him to die just cause you don't share his views.
I don't either, but i would help him.. hopefully it helps to change his behaviour too.

Patton is trying to teach a lesson here and he's right.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Everyone is deserving of help. I give them $50 each. If I say "You deserve to die because I don't like you", what kind of person does that make me?

That's the fucking point.
Okay and then a homeless lgbt youth org goes unfunded, another trans person can't afford to move out of their abusive environment, a gay man can't afford his life saving drugs, etc.

That's the fucking point, there is no end to the amount of ppl in need that you don't have to start choosing assholes over them!

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Okay and then a homeless lgbt youth org goes unfunded, another trans person can't afford to move out of their abusive environment, a gay man can't afford his life saving drugs, etc.

That's the fucking point, there is no end to the amount of ppl in need that you don't have to start choosing assholes over them!

So you're happy for people to die because they're "others" to you? You're just as much of an asshole as they are.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
So you're happy for people to die because they're "others" to you? You're just as much of an asshole as they are.
You have to make a choice where your donation goes. You can't split it infinity ways. Just because a celebrity elevated one asshole's story above other people doesn't mean I'm obligated to donate to an asshole over other people I would rather support in my own community.

You are making a choice and choosing the asshole; why???

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Everytime you tip a server, are you specifically choosing them over another server? You are specifically choosing to tip your server, but not out of spite or in replacement of a different server receiving your tip. It's just happenstance that Bill was the guy you met tonight, and your server. So you tip him. Why would you even tip a server you've never met? There are so many other servers that won't get your tip, but it's not like you're actively seeking out Bill just so you can tip him.

That's my interpretation.

maxay

Jan 15, 2019

Good on Patton. Although once again, the asshole who whines gets something while I'm sure there are a lot of your compatriots that get nothing since they're already good people and don't spend their time spewing their shit or trolling known people.
Can't say it better myself.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
This is the holier tha thou; I don't see color, both sides are the same bullshit. I just wish people would own up to it.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Everytime you tip a server, are you specifically choosing them over another server? You are specifically choosing to tip your server, but not out of spite or in replacement of a different server receiving your tip. It's just happenstance that Bill was the guy you met tonight, and your server. So you tip him. Why would you even tip a server you've never met? There are so many other servers that won't get your tip, but it's not like you're actively seeking out Bill just so you can tip him.

That's my interpretation.
If a hostess sat me down at a table and tol me my server was a real asshole; I would ask to sit somewhere else. Patton up front said this guy was a dick to him and a quick look at his twitter confirmed he was a dick to others. I would ask for a different server. Easy.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the holier tha thou; I don't see color, both sides are the same bullshit. I just wish people would own up to it.

As someone who is familiar with racial abuse, I can confidently say that both sides are nowhere near the same.

I get that it is frustrating when people who you don't believe deserve compassion receive it, and when you believe you derserve it and don't.

But this isn't some heinous super villain getting the key to the city, or funding for his mega evil corporation. It's some sick dude who's an asshole getting help with medical expenses.

If the thread really has you this heated, I just suggest you log off for a bit, take a breather, and go donate to causes that make you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.