• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is like a microcosm for why you guys don't have universal Healthcare in the states. Even liberals and moderates on here think that certain people don't deserve it.
We wouldn't vote for democrats who campaign on promises of socialized medicine if we didn't accept that people we don't like would get access to it. Stop conflating individual charity with universal coverage.

Jesus Christ, your post is stupid.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is like a microcosm for why you guys don't have universal Healthcare in the states. Even liberals and moderates on here think that certain people don't deserve it.
it's more nuanced than that.. but yeah.. the amount of people condemning a person being helped in a tough position wreaks of "I want the world to be a better place, but only for those I deem worthy"

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
From what I've seen, it's more that people wish Patton donated to someone without racist views. I don't think that anger makes them irredeemable assholes. For the record, I think what Patton did was great, but I empathize with people who don't care to see a racist be supported.

I don't think this is about the racist asshole but about Patton. He was moved by something he saw, and decided to act on it.. I say good for him

I wish I could be like him but I'm pretty sure I'm an irredeemable fucling asswhole.myself because when I see guys like that I say fuck them

Oct 25, 2017
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm a fucking asshole too, like almost everyone else.

But if you look at what Patton did and instead of thinking "Gosh I wish I could be like thid dude, and hope to be like him one day" you think " Lol what an idiot move, he should have saved the money instead, this guy deserves nothing" you're an irredeemable fucking asshole

So you can call someone an irredeemable asshole because it's not OK for anyone else to say a bigot isn't worthy of charity.

Seems contradictory.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not really. We don't have universal healthcare in the United States because we are ruled by a vocal minority of asshats like the "Freedom Caucus".

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is about the racist asshole but about Patton. He was moved by something he saw, and decided to act on it.. I say good for him

I wish I could be like him but I'm pretty sure I'm an irredeemable fucling asswhole.myself because when I see giys like that I say fuck them
I Actually don't see your point of view as much of an issue as those actually crying out about the guy receiving help... like we can choose to help or not.. and we all have our means or reasons for doing so or not... but to lash out at people being helped, regardless of points of view... it's really better to just ignore and move on if you don't agree with it. raising a stink about it is a bad look.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

I wish I could be like him but I'm pretty sure I'm an irredeemable fucling asswhole.myself because when I see guys like that I say fuck them

There's nothing assholish about not caring what happens to these fuckwads. Being one sidedly empathetic to people who want to see you in pain is very tiring.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I understand and share the anger at these kind of people and the urge that they don't deserve it, but I honestly could never turn down someone horribly suffering despite it.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I may be wrong here but I would bet if you took the posts of people annoyed or upset by this and those applauding this and split them up, it would be extremely racially divided.
You can also check post history when it comes to race/racism and not really be shocked why some of the most vocal supporters of this guy don't think him being a racist is a big deal.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
There's nothing assholish about not caring what happens to these fuckwads. Being one sidedly empathetic to people who want to see you in pain is very tiring.

One thing is not caring, like borghe says. If you don't care you just move on.

But this people care that he's getting help. They wish Patton didn't do what he did.

This is different I think?

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
One thing is not caring, like borghe says. If you don't care you just move on.

But this people care that he's getting help. They wish Patton didn't do what he did.

This is different I think?

Everyone has free will to do what they want. If there are arguments like that then I don't agree with that. On the other hand, there are arguments where people believe the burden on reconciliation and social cohesion is on the left because they should forgive and forget everything those on the right say and do, even if it's racist, sexist or if they hurt or kill people because of their political views or their minority status. And I don't agree with that either.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm inviting you to do that, put up or shut up.

You don't know shit about me Enzom so do some research.

My Twitter's easy to find too if you want to dig deeper.
As I stated, folks can look at your post history and other sites you post on and see why you don't care about this dude's racism.
As far as knowing you, I see what you post, who would want to?
But by all means clutch your pearls some more because some people here aren't okay with racism.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone has free will to do what they want. If there are arguments like that then I don't agree with that. On the other hand, there are arguments where people believe the burden on reconciliation and social cohesion is on the left because they should forgive and forget everything those on the right say and do, even if it's racist, sexist or if they hurt or kill people because of their political views or their minority status. And I don't agree with that either.

I don't agree with that either but that was not what we were discussing.

You told me you thought these guys don't care about what happens to this racist pos, and shouldn't have to. I agree.

My contra-argument is that they do care

In any case I think is more about Patton and his choice

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As I stated, folks can look at your post history and other sites you post on and see why you don't care about this dude's racism.
As far as knowing you, I see what you post, who would want to?

Get the fuck out of here with your lies then if you don't want to do the legwork. You want bogey-men like that to exist to justify your bitterness but you're too afraid to actually see that you're wrong. Fuck outta here.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Wow...I feel like some of the posts in this thread are extremely disingenuous and self-satisfied. It seems like some folks have an active mission to not understand where people are coming from, so that they can tout an "ERA is awful and you all are bitter and cynical" type of line.

Let me address a couple of things:

"You won't donate...? Why not? Do you want him to die?" -- Is this really that hard to understand? Let's say someone accosts you on the bus, maybe they simply mock you or insult you, maybe they say something racist, sexist, or deeply cruel. Then you hear them talking to their friend on the phone about how their medical bills are so high and they might not be able to afford them. Is your first instinct to turn around and open up your wallet/write the guy a check?

If it is, that's great. Sure. I believe you. You do you. But I think it's wild that you simply CAN'T understand why somebody wouldn't do that, or that you think somebody who wouldn't do that is an "irredeemable asshole".

There are thousands and thousands - millions - of people around the world who can't afford their medical bills. All of us, every single person in this thread, chooses not to spend every single penny they have to help those people. Do you want all those people to die...? Instead, you spend your money on your rent, food, clothes, entertainment, kids, and so on. If you have extra for charity, you choose causes that you care about, whether cancer research, LGBT support, women's health, men's health, etc.

Heck, you might even donate to a stranger's Gofundme. You come across two Gofundme accounts: one from a person who doesn't express any views one way or the other, and one from a person who has covered their page in white supremacy messages.

Which do you choose? You only have enough money for the minimum donation to one.

Maybe you look into your heart and say, "Wow, I'm going to uplift this white supremacist's life with my money, and maybe he'll change." Well. Okay. Sure. You do that. But can you really not understand why somebody wouldn't?

Let's look at a few test cases:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/prominent-us-'gay-conversion-therapist'-david-matheson-divorces-wife-and-comes-out-as-gay.95641/

David Matheson was a gay conversion therapist...I hope we can all agree that this was a deeply harmful, awful, terrible role to play in society. Now he's sick and needs money.

Do you contribute? If no, why not? Do you want him to die...? Should he die just because he used to tell gay people that they were sinful and wrong? Shouldn't you be opening your wallet right now for this guy?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/fbi-arrests-roger-stone.95642/

Roger Stone, political hack and crook, is on his deathbed. Let's his say that a policy that he has specifically lobbied for has hurt you, or people like you. He starts a Gofundme account to pay for his medical bills, even though you know very well he has plenty of money to pay for it himself. He's probably lying about needing the money, but you're not sure.

Do you contribute? If no, why not? Do you want him to die...? Should he die just because he used to be rich and a right-wing asshole...? What if he's telling the truth about being broke? Well, you better just believe him and open up your wallet...you don't want him to die, after all.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ev...-passenger-forced-her-to-wipe-his-butt.95033/

Maybe you remember this disgusting story from a couple of days ago. This dude suddenly comes out and says, "Yes, I did those horrible things, but now I'm on my deathbed, and I can't pay my medical bills", and links to his Gofundme.

Do you contribute? If no, why not? Do you want him to die...?

We all make value judgments about what we support or don't support. Oswalt donated to someone who abused him and who has abused others. That's fine. He can do that. Some folks are saying. "It's naive to donate to an abuser and a bad person, I'll reserve my money and care for people who have not been awful." Is that really so hard to get your mind around? The idea that this reaction would make someone an "irredeemable asshole" is such a terrible, terrible take and absolutely divorced from reality. Good lord.

"You don't want to contribute to this guy, and yet you support socialized medicine. Hypocrite much?" -- This is a ridiculous comparison. Paying into a larger system that supports the whole is a neutral value judgment. Specifically choosing one guy or charity to give my money to is a positive value judgment. In one case, money goes out into the ether and is distributed in a neutral way that I don't see. In the other, I specifically say, "I'm giving my money directly out of my wallet to this person." These are completely different things.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't agree with that either but that was not what we were discussing.

You told me you thought these guys don't care about what happens to this racist pos, and shouldn't have to. I agree.

My contra-argument is that they do care

In any case I think is more about Patton and his choice

And I don't care if they do. I'm just stating my opinion whether it accurately follows the conversation or not.

Oct 31, 2017
You can also check post history when it comes to race/racism and not really be shocked why some of the most vocal supporters of this guy don't think him being a racist is a big deal.

I have at least one person arguing against you on ignore already so I'm sure there's at least some truth to this.

This story is about an old white man being rewarded for being a shitty person so I can definitely see why it's so supported here. It's a white privilege story not one about charity. Meanwhile, teenage black girls are stripped searched at school lunch for being too "giddy."

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Get the fuck out of here with your lies then if you don't want to do the legwork. You want bogey-men like that to exist to justify your bitterness but you're too afraid to actually see that you're wrong. Fuck outta here.
Why did you edit out "inferiority" true feelings slipped out there huh?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why did you edit out "inferiority" true feelings slipped out there huh?

I didn't want you to misinterpret how I feel about you personally (very, extremely low opinion) with how I feel about other people.

Yet here we are, with you misinterpreting despite my edit that was made less than 10 seconds after posting. Wonder how you saw that hmmm

Hey, have you heard about the principle of charity Enzom? It's a way to have discussions without being a paranoid child you should check it out.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Compassion in the face of nastiness, and here on ERA we get people being so pissed about it that they're attacking each other.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't want you to misinterpret how I feel about you personally (very, extremely low opinion) with how I feel about other people.

So predictable lmao
No, what is predictable is people like you letting your true feelings slip out on occasion but being too cowardly to stick by them.
You're like every other person on those sites that you frequent who complain about this place yet are never brave enough to actually say how they feel here.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
This story is about an old white man being rewarded for being nasty so I can definitely see why it's so supported here. It's a white privilege story not one about charity.
I don't get this, at least not fully.
I don't see how it's a reward, because even though one could argue that the guys dickish behaviour led to the donation, the donation wasn't made because he was a dick.
More importantly, I don't see why it's white privilege. Are you implying Patton wouldn't have donated to a black person? Genuine question, because I don't see how you got there.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good place. A bunch of shitty people though.Use the ignore function and watch them disappear.
there is something truly symbolic about using ignore in this thread that would disappear what are mainly minorities and people generally unfeeling towards racists.

people can muster up more compassion for the racist than for the viewpoint of minorities and people who have drawn a line at racism.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, what is predictable is people like you letting your true feelings slip out on occasion but being too cowardly to stick by them.
You're like every other person on those sites that you frequent who complain about this place yet are never brave enough to actually say how they feel here.

Did you miss the thread where I wrote an essay about how I believe discourse on ERA has become toxic?

Oh wait, of course you did, because you don't ACTUALLY know anything and thrive on making shit up.

I'm getting insulted by your baseless accusations and cannot continue a public discussion with you without further derailing this thread. If you want to insult me more, hit me up on Twitter or DM me here.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't see how it's a reward, because even though one could argue that the guys dickish behaviour led to the donation, the donation wasn't made because he was a dick.
More importantly, I don't see why it's white privilege. Are you implying Patton wouldn't have donated to a black person? Genuine question, because I don't see how you got there.

It's straightforward. The old white man was rewarded for being a bad person.

Do I think a random black person would have been rewarded for being shitty to Oswalt? No, I don't, even if I think Patton's a generally good guy.

We're all raised in a society that FORCES us to empathize with white men and dehumanize "others". That's why there are people in here calling people "irredeemable assholes" because we don't want to see a racist asshole rewarded just for being an asshole.

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018

I think there is an element of white privilege here, but I see it differently than how Elegant Weapon does. I don't think any white person has experienced racism to fully understand why it's upsetting for minorities to see a man with racist views get 5,000 after being a shithead. I also think it's very dismissive for people to think that minorities who are upset about it are bad people rather than people who have been treated poorly and are tired of it.

Oct 25, 2017

So American history is literally made up of white people profiting from being assholes to other ethnicities. Genocide, slavery, war, industrialism, corporatism, etc.

People who are bothered by this story are viewing it through that lens. It's not about whether Patton is or isn't truly a good guy. I think we all think he is a good guy. That the twitter troll has directly benefited from his generosity by being a twitter troll is a microcosm of how American history has always unfolded. White people get to be assholes and still enjoy empathy, everybody else has to be good AND still have to argue for their humanity. It's mentally exhausting to see this happen over and over and over.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It's straightforward. The old white man was rewarded for being a bad person.

Do I think a random black person would have been rewarded for being shitty to Oswalt? No, I don't, even if I think Patton's a generally good guy.

We're all raised in a society that FORCES us to empathize with white men and dehumanize "others". That's why there are people in here calling people "irredeemable assholes" because we don't want to see a racist asshole rewarded just for being an asshole.
I don't see it as straightforward, because to me, it seems like he got something despite, and not for, being a bad person. I think that's an important difference.

That's the thing, I do think it's possible for a similar scenario with a black person to have played out. I'm sure you'll view me as naive for this, but I think if a black person had come into contact with Patton like this, it might very well have played out like this, if Patton is indeed a good guy like I believe.

I also wanna add the "irredeemable asshole" stuff is nonsensical hyperbole. I understand the position of not wanting this guy to get anything in this situation, and while I disagree, the position doesn't make one an asshole, let alone irredeemable.

I think there is an element of white privilege here, but I see it differently than how Elegant Weapon does. I don't think any white person has experienced racism to fully understand why it's upsetting for minorities to see a man with racist views get 5,000 after being a shithead. I also think it's very dismissive for people to think that minorities who are upset about it are bad people rather than people who have been treated poorly and are tired of it.
Hmmm, I think I agree, but that's white privilege in the context of people arguing, not white privilege that led to the guy getting his bills paid.

Edit:
So American history is literally made up of white people profiting from being assholes to other ethnicities. Genocide, slavery, war, industrialism, corporatism, etc.

People who are bothered by this story are viewing it through that lens. It's not about whether Patton is or isn't truly a good guy. I think we all think he is a good guy. That the twitter troll has directly benefited from his generosity by being a twitter troll is a microcosm of how American history has always unfolded. White people get to be assholes and still enjoy empathy, everybody else has to be good AND still have to argue for their humanity. It's mentally exhausting to see this happen over and over and over.
Didn't see that post before, whoops.
I think that makes sense, but I've been looking at it as an isolated incidence, that, like I said, could've played out the same if the guy wasn't white. From everything I've experienced from Patton, I would make the assumption that while this situation could be interpreted as a symptom of the American problem, it wasn't. Hope that makes some sense.

Last edited:

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
He can do whatever the fuck he wants. It's his situation dealing with another person, not anyone else's. Seems pretty simple.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
People who have spent their lives spreading hatred deserve no kindness

How old are you? People can change, some people can be reached. Its like you have done no historical reading and lived your life in a bubble of moral/ethical Blacks and Whites. As a POC and an immigrant I have had to put up with a ton of hateful shit growing up AND as a business professional but if I see someone hurting or in need of help I wouldn't stop and investigate their history of political/racial bias to see if they were deserving of said help. That's not how it works. I'd just help. That's how I was raised. Like so many you sound like you live in theory not reality.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017

I just want to point out that he's at 32.2 thousand dollars right now. He still has it open so he clearly wants more money.

He has made what other people make in a year, in 11 days.

I hope he lives a long and happy life. I wish he felt the same about the people he hurls slurs at on Twitter.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
How old are you? People can change, some people can be reached. Its like you have done no historical reading and lived your life in a bubble of moral/ethical Blacks and Whites. As a POC and an immigrant I have had to put up with a ton of hateful shit growing up AND as a business professional but if I see someone hurting or in need of help I wouldn't stop and investigate their history of political/racial bias to see if they were deserving of said help. That's not how it works. I'd just help. That's how I was raised. Like so many you sound like you live in theory not reality.

Just to be clear, nobody had to search to find his hatred. His screaming and hate was what drew eyes to him in the first place. As a POC and immigrant myself, I'm not sure why I would ever give a dollar to the guy wishing that I "would go back to my country."

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If someone wants to change they can, this guy is a grown man with all the information in the world at his fingertips about why he is wrong and the harm his ideology does. He doesn't need to be shown the light by having money dropped in his lap.

Oct 27, 2017
If someone wants to change they can, this guy is a grown man with all the information in the world at his fingertips about why he is wrong and the harm his ideology does. He doesn't need to be shown the light by having money dropped in his lap.
I advocate for liberal causes and policies that would literally drop money in his lap.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
It's always good to be good to other people. The world has never been made worse by irrational acts of kindness.

I had no idea about the guy's racism when I first saw this post and let the feely-goodies wash over me. Honestly that's terrible, and depressing, and utterly unsurprising considering how we came to hear of this guy. Maybe the kindness of 'the libs' will send some small shockwaves through the lives of this guy and those around him, or maybe it won't.

But kindness is always good. Fight me. I might even send you some money.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

From "we need to be kind" to "FUCK YOU BITTER ASSHOLE!"

Like seriously, you guys are not making regret calling some of you self righteous.

Status
Not open for further replies.