• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does praying prevent mass shootings???? https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...f1fe4b07eb51181be67?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

November 7, 2017

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) is defending his call for prayers after a gunman killed 26 people in a Texas church on Sunday.

Ryan and other politicians have been criticized for offering thoughts and prayers instead of legislative action to reduce gun violence. But on Monday night, Ryan told Fox News host Laura Ingraham:

"It's disappointing, it's sad, and this is what you'll get from the far secular left. People who do not have faith don't understand faith, I guess I'd have to say. And it is the right thing to do is to pray in moments like this, because you know what? Prayer works. And I know you believe that, and I believe that and when you hear the secular left doing this thing, it's no wonder you have so much polarization and disunity in this country when people think like that."

Sending "thoughts and prayers" on social media has become a way for both religious and secular people to grieve after national tragedies.

For religious people in particular, prayer is an important form of worship and a way to ask God for guidance and intervention.

Especially after great personal sorrow, faith helps people to cling to hope. The Rev. Frank Pomeroy, pastor of First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs, lost his 14-year-old daughter and at least 25 other church members in Sunday's mass shooting. He told reporters on Monday that he has decided to "lean into the Lord."

"I don't understand, but I know my God does," Pomeroy said.

But it is one thing for Pomeroy to lean into his faith after the shooting at his church, and something completely different for Ryan to offer prayers without action ― especially after reportedly receiving more than $170,000 in contributions from gun rights groups in 2016.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if we pray mid-shooting, it'll cast a protective barrier around our bodies therefore making it impossible for the bullets to penetrate our skin.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is absurd. "Thoughts and prayers" are what you offer when you are powerless to do otherwise. This man is one of many who were specifically elected to receive the power to do something more than than simply pray.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

The fact that the shooting happened in a church of all places disagrees with you.

Actually addressing the thing that caused all those people to die works. Other countries implemented gun control and it was very effective. This isn't as hard as you want to make it Paul Ryan.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Watch where his "faith" goes if someone close to him catches a bullet in one of these shootings.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Is that a play on words? It is the "right" thing to do, that's why it repeats.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I think Wheaton was wrong to attack him on this.

This is always said after atrocities, not as a way to put aside real solutions.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
how the fuck you see a mass shooting in a church and offer nothing but trying to pray an additional amount

pretty sure prayer is something you do as part of your personal relationship with your deity, god isnt going to change shit just because of your daily ritual

its our lives, not god's. we are supposed to figure this shit out ourselves you weasel fuck

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
it is the right thing to do is to pray in moments like this, because you know what? Prayer works.

Clearly.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, seriously? I thought this happening at a literal church during service would be the end of the ridiculous "thoughts and prayers" "solution" to gun violence. They were already praying!

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I pray that Ryan eventually gets justice served against him for being the filthy piece of shit that he is

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how Obama prayed for the wisdom to ask what concrete steps we can take to reduce the violence and weaponry

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I half agree with him. There is nothing wrong with praying for these people. Having said that it can't end there, you must be proactive and try to find solutions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Paul Ryan gets more money from the NRA than any other Congressman.

Yep: https://www.politico.com/interactives/2017/gun-lobbying-spending-in-america-congress/

The gun lobby: See how much your representative gets
share.jpg

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
But they died in a church, so they are already close to god. You're thoughts and prayers are not needed for their souls.

But maybe...we could talk about preventing this from happening in the future eh? I know, I know, crazy to think that. I'll just see myself out. Oh, by the way, when and where are we gonna meet up for the next mass shooting? Just wanna get my thoughts and prayers ready in time ya know?

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These people are the worst. Praying is the absolute most selfish way to pretend to care about an issue or person.

It drives me crazy.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"thoughts and prayers" basically means "the NRA pays us too much money to talk about or take action toward gun control"
they're all puppets

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
I really want to leave this stupid country, but I have no idea where my fiancee and I would go to. I'm an atheist, and I'm pretty sure Ryan doesn't actually believe this, but is just pandering to his benighted base.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Who is he praying to when innocent children are murdered in a church. What kind of demented God would do this or even listen to his pleas?

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
Praying means bullets won't affect you. Just look at the Boxer Rebellion.

Oh wait...

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what the response would be were a mass shooting to happen at a gathering of the high and lofty. I think prayers wouldn't quite cut it then right?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you're religious, pray away nobody gives no shits... but this dude says "prayer works" like... what the fuck is prayer supposed to do in this case?

Are you praying to god that nobody else is going to get gunned down in a mass of gun violence? Cause clearly that shit ain't working?

What's the endgame, point me to where the prayer is working I wanna see.

Last edited:

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
If Jesus was here, he wouldn't slap Paul Ryan. He's too good for it.
I don't think he'd particularly disagree with me slapping Paul though.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who is he praying to when innocent children are murdered in a church. What kind of demented God would do this or even listen to his pleas?
I believe the common theory is that these events are a "test of faith". Which then leads the question, what kind of God needs tests of faith?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." -
James 2:14-17

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
At this point I'm pretty sure god is tired of hearing the flood of prayers that happen after every mass shooting.

"Ah, here we go AGAIN. Fix your shit down there!"

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Even people in favor of gun control offer prayers.

The focus on mental health all of the sudden is what should be seen as a deflection.
Sure, but in this case it's pretty clearly a deflection, and we have seen it used as such plenty of times. Think about every time we have heard "All we can do is pray"

Oct 25, 2017
As a Catholic I was taught that God helps those who help themselves. I believe prayer helps only if you are also doing something to solve the issue you are having.

Simply calling to God while also crossing your arms and waiting for everything to be solved by a higher power leads to absolutely nothing.

You want change? Start by actually passing a new regulation on guns. Start new education programs. Help people with mental issues and prevent them from getting their hands on dangerous weapons.

THEN you can pray if you want, if you believe a higher power can give an "extra push". Praying is completely harmless and at least shows good intentions. But good intentions alone lead nowhere.

Whenever I had a difficult test on school for example, I would study my ass off day and night. And then I would just do a small, silent prayer to receive whatever extra help I could need (like keeping a clear, calm mind before the exam). But all the effort was on me.

Appealing to God is not bad. Trying to go the lazy route and allowing your problems to fester while only getting on your knees and begging solves absolutely nothing.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Ryan is and has been a fucking coward. It's literally the go-to excuse to do NOTHING. Fucking inhuman piece of shit.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
If you're religious, pray away nobody gives no shits... but this dude says "prayer works" like... what the fuck is prayer supposed to do in this case?

Are you praying to god that nobody else is going to get gunned down in a mass of gun violence? Cause clearly that shit ain't working?

What's the endgame, point me to where there prayer is working I wanna see.

Paul Ryan prayed on it and he received more checks in the mail from the NRA.