• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think Wheaton was wrong to attack him on this.

This is always said after atrocities, not as a way to put aside real solutions.
Except they trot out the 'thoughts and prayers' line as a way to put aside real solutions.

Paul Ryan is another fake Christian who pays lip service to his faith and uses its group identity just to win votes.

Last edited:

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
"14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." -
James 2:14-17

Is this too many characters to tweet to Ryan, I wonder...

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
"14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." -

Get that commie shit out of here.

Everyone knows the REAL Bible is Old Testament + Revelations.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
I mean, he's right. Prayer stops bullets. Seen it myself. You gotta be on some real snake handler, Southern Baptist hootin' and hollerin' bullshit though. It's the only way God can hear you.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans:

1. Climate Change is a Hoax.
2. Prayer should be the first response to mass killings with guns.
3. Abortion is murder. Ban abortion.
5. Guns murder people. Defend everyone's right to own guns.

I hope you're all voting for Democrats today. They may not be perfect, but they aren't generally FUCKING MORONS.

Gorgamel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about this, since he is so adamant that prayer works. Every Republican should just abstain from writing any bills or voting for anything and just harness all their energy and effort into prayer.

Let the "secular far left" waste their time actually passing bills. Those morons don't know that anything they pass will be overturned by the divine intervention that Ryan will pray into existence.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Hey, prayer works if you're praying for more people to personally meet God as soon as possible. Like, I pray my inaction leads to more killings. That prayer works.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Republicans:

1. Climate Change is a Hoax.
2. Prayer should be the first response to mass killings with guns.
3. Abortion is murder. Ban abortion.
5. Guns murder people. Defend everyone's right to own guns.

I hope you're all voting for Democrats today. They may not be perfect, but they aren't generally FUCKING MORONS.

I'll be voting for Murphy despite the fact that he is a former goldman sachs guy. "Not perfect". You can see my enthusiasm through my computer screen.

The system is broken and only fixing it will solve the sliding spectrum of rightwing sentiments

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
These people were literally praying and still got shot. Praying is worthless and the most meaningless empty gesture you could possibly offer.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

lol silly, Ryan doesn't give a shit about the Bible. The two things he cares about is $ and Power.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Prayer sure works when a mass shooting takes place where people are actively praying yet again.

Their thoughts and prayers work about as well as me praying for stricter gun laws with a GOP led Senate and House. He wants to offer condolences, cool. But to use it as a way to deflect from any talk of gun regulation is scummy as fuck.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ryan as the Speaker of the House is in a unique position to actually take concrete actions that would at least limit these tragedies in scope and frequency, and yet he does nothing but call for prayer. I judge him extremely negatively for his cowardice and inaction which has essentially become complicity. Besides their actual complicit actions.

Perhaps Republicans in Congress could remove the exemptions from state class actions they gave the Gun industry in the mid-2000s for a start? http://www.vpc.org/press/press-release-archive/house-passed-class-action-bill-s-5-protects-gun-industry-leaves-gun-consumers-and-victims-of-gun-violence-in-legal-limbo/

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Absolute scum, honestly. Shameful. I think he knows it, too, which is even worse. Goes to show that blood money from the NRA really does talk.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I wonder if it would be possible for the victims of these shootings to do a class action lawsuit against congressmen and women like Paul Ryan for negligence/gross negligence.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
What is also sad is that the response would probably differ depending on the perpetrator's background. The GOP will move heaven and earth to protect its citizens from "the Other", but if you fit the "lone wolf" archetype (typically white male), nothing will happen.

Oct 25, 2017
I live in his district. I'm going to tell everyone to vote against Paul Ryan. Hell just vote in general.
See what I can do to make signs showing how much of a coward he is.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Paul Ryan is such a toady fuck. Shame that NRA blood money won't save him from spending an eternity in Hell.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
They want to say this is a mental health issue. Hell, if they would even do something about getting people better mental healthcare that would at least be something. They aren't even doing anything about that though. It's literally nothing and hope you leave them alone till the next one.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was just about to mention this passage. Even religious folks should know that empty prayers with no action is meaningless

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He gets paid and that's all that matters. They are absolute scum of the earth. Shame on anyone that votes for them, you can't defend their polices.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
It's shit like this that absolutely fucking infuriates me. This motherfucker is using belief and manipulating people that already have maleable minds into buying into his bullshit. Pray for something in one hand, shit in the other and tell me which fills up faster fuck face. I'm not religious(obviously) and hold no ill will towards any denomination but as I get older and see how its used to manipulate our laws and people I grow to hate it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"It's the left's fault for polarizing the country by asking for works to accompany our faith like it says in the goddamn Bible."

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
In The United States, we have lots of prayers and little gun control.
In Western Europe, they have lots of gun control and little prayer.

Which one has the bigger problem with mass shootings again?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the cognitive dissonance with reality that you would need to have to still believe that prayer is more successful at curbing tragedy than actual human intervention is so monumentally large that Jeffrey Dahmer could see it from heaven without binoculars

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
To conservatives laws can't stop stop bullets, but prayers can. Right. Okay.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I happened to go by and see my parents and they were watching Ingraham's show, and she was going in hard on how elite liberals hate religious people and are making fun of them. Brought up Wheaton's tweet and so on.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"It's disappointing, it's sad, and this is what you'll get from the far secular left. People who do not have faith don't understand faith, I guess I'd have to say. And it is the right thing to do is to pray in moments like this, because you know what? Prayer works.

Ask Rick Perry how praying for rain worked out for him.

He'll be easy to find, he's the guy in charge of the nukes.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Okay Paul...if you or one of your loved ones ever gets cancer, say a few prayers instead of treating the issue. How confident will you be of prayer working?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a pity the assault an education gives America no chance to overcome such stupidity. If the Dems get back in and get a lot of power, education needs to be a priority for everyone. I can't think of any other way to turn America around. These assholes prey on stupidity and make sure people stay stupid.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Saying that you are going to pray AFTER a gun violence tragedy in the US has literally become "I will do nothing, but sorry that happened!"

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Catholic I was taught that God helps those who help themselves. I believe prayer helps only if you are also doing something to solve the issue you are having.

Simply calling to God while also crossing your arms and waiting for everything to be solved by a higher power leads to absolutely nothing.

You want change? Start by actually passing a new regulation on guns. Start new education programs. Help people with mental issues and prevent them from getting their hands on dangerous weapons.

THEN you can pray if you want, if you believe a higher power can give an "extra push". Praying is completely harmless and at least shows good intentions. But good intentions alone lead nowhere.

Whenever I had a difficult test on school for example, I would study my ass off day and night. And then I would just do a small, silent prayer to receive whatever extra help I could need (like keeping a clear, calm mind before the exam). But all the effort was on me.

Appealing to God is not bad. Trying to go the lazy route and allowing your problems to fester while only getting on your knees and begging solves absolutely nothing.
As a catholic I concur with this assessment. But remember the Paul's base is evangelicals. You're not getting through to those guys