• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AgPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
"14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." -
James 2:14-17

I figured this and similar ancedotes will be posted plenty though this thread, but this is very much the response that needs to be taped to that disgraced man's forehead.

Faith Without Works is Dead

(Note: I used to be a Church Boy when I was younger, but only in my 30's did I truly understand the lesson that was being taught when we touched upon this in Sunday School.)

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I think Paul Ryan missed the part where you're actually supposed to try to help yourself out as well. But it's a lot easier to keep doing nothing and making hundreds of thousands from people that want to sell more guns.

chimpychi

Oct 27, 2017
"prayer works" huh? then how come the mass shootings are getting more common with higher death counts?
What exactly have all these prayers done so far? show me it's working because from my chair, it looks like it's getting worse
When another columbine would look minor compared to what we've seen recently, you can't tell me prayers have been working...

The craziest thing is I used to think that the only way they'd finally start to work on gun control would be if one of their own got shot...
but nope!...scalise gets shot and even HE still refuses to do anything..

Oct 25, 2017
What a sweet gig. I'd love to have a job where I can project my own supposed importance, get a lot of cheeky cheques handed to me by pernicious special interests overlords and then do fuck all despite holding a position where the people you purport to represent would expect you to pro-actively get shit done. "Me? Have responsibility to do something? Look, I already believe I and many others of my exact creed and mindset are virtuous people by default. All we need to do is pray a bit harder each time and everything will be okay. But those secular Left, gosh. They're dividing the country as ever by having the nerve to tell folks like me to actually do something when they could be praying as hard as I am."

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Y'know what, I'm not the most religious of guys, but I'll pray right with ya, Paul. Let's have a moment of silence to mourn before we begin work on fixing this problem

....Oh, wait, what's that? We're not doing anything else? We're going to just pray? I mean, all well and good, but what happens if this happens again?

.....Oh, we'll just pray again?

.....Um.....

Oct 30, 2017
So when it's a "Muslim" perpetrator, "prayer" is also the #1 thing that the GOP encourages? Or is it bombing the fuck out of some country, surveillance on local Muslims, or deporting people?

Rolanderson

Oct 25, 2017
Paul Ryan thinking the real world is like d&d, you can't pray to your god for a +2 to AC in real life Paul!

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how you can just say "just pray more" when the shooting itself happened at the epicenter of thoughts and prayers.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Brazen corruption lazily paved over with heartstring-tugging platitudes for an ignorant base... about as distilled an example of the GOP as you can get.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." -
James 2:14-17

Hey, this was exactly my reply to him on twitter the other day!

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The victims were at a church Ryan. Do you have to fill up a prayer meter before god does anything with all those prayers? Get out of here with that weak sauce argument.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how you can just say "just pray more" when the shooting itself happened at the epicenter of thoughts and prayers.

What Paul Ryan means is that God's vision is based on prayer. If there are only people praying at church at specific times it is easy for Good to get a read on them, but if people are praying all the time everywhere God gets confused and doesn't know where to send the gunman.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
chartoftheday_3672_americas_insane_rate_of_gun_homicide_in_perspective_n.jpg

Can we finish the prayer and then at least try to get to Switzerland's level?

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prayers ain't gonna accomplish shit. This is as dumb as Ray Lewis praying for the players during the NFL protests. Ryan is one of the few people in America with a direct line to the lawmakers. Save your prayers and address the actual problem of gun control in America.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
I pray for Paul Ryan to get cancer. I must be doing it wrong. Paul Ryan, can you tell me how to do it right so you get cancer?

The dude is a POS, but that's tad too far. Even for jokes

But as posters above have said, praying ain't doing squat. Planning and executing solutions will.

Last edited:

Spoopy

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles/Belfast
The dude is a POS, but that's tad too far. Even for jokes

But as posters above have said, praying ain't doing squat. Planning and exectuing solutions will.
it's not a joke. I have no problem praying for someone to get cancer when they actively legislate killing people with their garbage policies and initiatives. either way, my prayers are worthless so no heed for your tone policing

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
As a Catholic I was taught that God helps those who help themselves. I believe prayer helps only if you are also doing something to solve the issue you are having.

Simply calling to God while also crossing your arms and waiting for everything to be solved by a higher power leads to absolutely nothing.

You want change? Start by actually passing a new regulation on guns. Start new education programs. Help people with mental issues and prevent them from getting their hands on dangerous weapons.

THEN you can pray if you want, if you believe a higher power can give an "extra push". Praying is completely harmless and at least shows good intentions. But good intentions alone lead nowhere.

Whenever I had a difficult test on school for example, I would study my ass off day and night. And then I would just do a small, silent prayer to receive whatever extra help I could need (like keeping a clear, calm mind before the exam). But all the effort was on me.

Appealing to God is not bad. Trying to go the lazy route and allowing your problems to fester while only getting on your knees and begging solves absolutely nothing.

Good post, I am not religious, but my girlfriend is and this is pretty much her mindset.

Spoopy

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles/Belfast
I feel like people are kinda dog-piling this one line. Nothing wrong with believing in prayers.
it's more than that though. are you aware of his lack of policy and attempting to fix the issue at hand?

it was in the OP which is easy to miss

" Ryan to offer prayers without action ― especially after reportedly receiving more than $170,000 in contributions from gun rights groups in 2016."

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people are kinda dog-piling this one line. Nothing wrong with believing in prayers.

He isn't leader of the church, he is supposed to represent all Americans if they believe in his god or not.

So fine, offer thoughts and prayers if you like for some and call it a day. But that doesn't mean you get to completely ignore everyone else who wants actual action.

Spoopy

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles/Belfast
He isn't leader of the church, he is supposed to represent all Americans if they believe in his god or not.

So fine, offer thoughts and prayers if you like for some and call it a day. But that doesn't mean you get to completely ignore everyone else who wants actual action.
dogpiling is the new low barrier of entry into forum discussions. easy to say but has no real teeth.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
As a Catholic I was taught that God helps those who help themselves. I believe prayer helps only if you are also doing something to solve the issue you are having.

Simply calling to God while also crossing your arms and waiting for everything to be solved by a higher power leads to absolutely nothing.

You want change? Start by actually passing a new regulation on guns. Start new education programs. Help people with mental issues and prevent them from getting their hands on dangerous weapons.

THEN you can pray if you want, if you believe a higher power can give an "extra push". Praying is completely harmless and at least shows good intentions. But good intentions alone lead nowhere.

Whenever I had a difficult test on school for example, I would study my ass off day and night. And then I would just do a small, silent prayer to receive whatever extra help I could need (like keeping a clear, calm mind before the exam). But all the effort was on me.

Appealing to God is not bad. Trying to go the lazy route and allowing your problems to fester while only getting on your knees and begging solves absolutely nothing.

This guy gets it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

The issue is the belief that all you need is prayer to fix things, which even the most ardent of religious people only believe on the basis of convenience. Honestly, I wish far more staunch religious conservatives like Ryan were consistent on this front and stayed home on voting day to pray for their favored candidate instead.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
Of course Ryan thinks prayer works. He most likely believes that's why Steve Scalise survived his gunshot wound.

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think people are 'dog-piling' because he believes in the power of prayer. They're upset because he is taking no legislative action whatsoever to try and decrease the rate and severity of mass shootings occurring in the US, and in it's place he offers only 'thoughts and prayers'.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the feigned ignorance. The problem isn't the 'thoughts and prayers' it is the inaction hidden behind it. People are free to pray in a time like this but when people in a position of power act like it is their only option that is the problem.

He knows fine well the problem isn't 'thoughts and prayers', it is his own position of inaction but chooses to make the argument about praying to deflect. 'Thoughts and prayers' has become a joke that they're latched onto as if we're attacking them for that, when the actual reasoning of the joke is that it is literally a front for their defense of fire-arms,

Hatebringer

Oct 26, 2017

dhMeAzK.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people are 'dog-piling' because he believes in the power of prayer. They're upset because he is taking no legislative action whatsoever to try and decrease the rate and severity of mass shootings occurring in the US, and in it's place he offers only 'thoughts and prayers'.

Tbf I'm not even sure how you'd go about making legislative changes that would address this issue. You have people on one side demanding that all guns be banned and you have people on the other side unwilling to give an inch on gun-law reform because of the belief that the end game for the other side is to remove all guns.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
IMO, it's a lazy cop-out phrase that permits people who aren't even religious to appropriate religion to side-step hard questions and hard discussions

Spoopy

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles/Belfast
I can't believe the feigned ignorance. The problem isn't the 'thoughts and prayers' it is the inaction hidden behind it. People are free to pray in a time like this but when people in a position of power act like it is their only option that is the problem.

He knows fine well the problem isn't 'thoughts and prayers', it is his own position of inaction but chooses to make the argument about praying to deflect. 'Thoughts and prayers' has become a joke that they're latched onto as if we're attacking them for that, when the actual reasoning of the joke is that it is literally a front for their defense of fire-arms,

unfortunately, I can to the bolded.

Spoopy

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles/Belfast
Tbf I'm not even sure how you'd go about making legislative changes that would address this issue. You have people on one side demanding that all guns be banned and you have people on the other side unwilling to give an inch on gun-law reform because of the belief that the end game for the other side is to remove all guns.
yet the majority want sensible gun legislation. seems like an easy win for either side to start to address the issues.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Well I guess since "pray the gay away" failed as a platform, the next attempt is "pray the bullets away." Doesn't quite have the same ring to it though.

yet the majority want sensible gun legislation. seems like an easy win for either side to start to address the issues.
Vast majority, was my understanding. Something like 80-90% are in favour of some form of gun control.

Spoopy

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles/Belfast
Oct 27, 2017

The difficulty of achieving gun control reform doesn't mean that it shouldn't be attempted though. That's what Ryan and others like him are elected to do, find solutions to difficult problems the public are dealing with.

I also think you are inflating the difficulty of these reforms by characterising the debate in it's most extreme terms. Sensible gun control is possible without banning firearms all together, and I'm pretty sure saying 'we want to stop people being able to easily slaughter large numbers of our citizens' is the kind of sentiment that can get pretty decent public support.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You have people on one side demanding free and legal access to abortions. You have people on the other side who want a complete ban with people being thrown in prison.

Does that make it "too hard?" Apparently not because Republicans have no trouble fighting day and night for decades to put in controls, restrict access and change laws.

Will banning muslims stop terrorist attacks? No but that doesn't make it "too hard". They will try and try again to get rid of an entire religion to try to "fix" that problem.

How do you go about making changes? Exactly like they try to change everything else their base wants; small constant steps, constants bombardment of the media with consistent talking points and changing voting districts and education to make things more their way in the future.

But instead we just get "thoughts and prayers " and away we go, since "thoughts and prayers" are only a solution to gun matters, they apparently are not strong enough to take rights away from woman and stop terrorists.

Last edited:

Spoopy

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles/Belfast
You have people on one side demanding free and legal access to abortions. You have people on the other side who want a complete ban with people being thrown in prison.

Does that make it "too hard?" Apparently not because Republicans have no trouble fighting day and night for decades to put in controls, restrict access and change laws.

Will banning muslims stop terrorist attacks? No but that doesn't make it "too hard". They will try and try again to get rid of an entire religion to try to "fix" that problem.

How do you go about making changes? Exactly like they try to change everything else their base wants.

But instead we just get "thoughts and prayers " and away we go, since "thoughts and prayers" are only a solution to gun matters, they apparently are not strong enough to take rights away from woman and stop terrorists.
Looking at his post history in regards to this subject, he's not really arguing in good faith and only offers up straw-men. He has no interest in engaging. I'd just write him off or ignore him. He's not worth the time.