• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
The difficulty of achieving gun control reform doesn't mean that it shouldn't be attempted though. That's what Ryan and others like him are elected to do, find solutions to difficult problems the public are dealing with.

I also think you are inflating the difficulty of these reforms by characterising the debate in it's most extreme terms. Sensible gun control is possible without banning firearms all together, and I'm pretty sure saying 'we want to stop people being able to easily slaughter large numbers of our citizens' is the kind of sentiment that can get pretty decent public support.
What does sensible gun law reform even look like? I mean in this particular instance the shooter shouldn't have legally been allowed to possess a gun, but he had one anyway. I'm not sure how any sensible gun law reform could have stopped this.

Oct 27, 2017
What does sensible gun law reform even look like? I mean in this particular instance the shooter shouldn't have legally been allowed to possess a gun, but he had one anyway. I'm not sure how any sensible gun law reform could have stopped this.

It is about preventing these kinds of things from happening in the future in a more general sense, outside of the exact particulars of this instance. It needs to be made more difficult for dangerous people to get their hands on weapons that can cause this much damage, and nothing is being done about it.

It's true that he should not have been able to legally possess the weapons that he had, so maybe they could introduce more stringent laws around reporting of violent crimes that disqualify gun ownership? They could regulate private sales more heavily and require licensing/registration for individual firearms on a national level, and not allow private sales without an official transfer of registration. That would prevent people circumventing their disqualification easily by buying privately.

If we look outside of this one event, and back to the Las Vegas shooting, the bump stock modifications that effectively turn a semi-automatic rifle into and automatic should be outlawed, with possession being a criminal offence. There is a number of things that could be done on multiple levels to decrease the risk of these events happening with the frequency and severity that they do.

Thoughts and prayers without any action to back it up is cowardice, and that is why people are angry at Ryan and politicians like him. They are making zero effort to prevent these things from occurring, because it's too difficult. The absolute lack of political will to do anything here is frankly disgusting.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
The major problem here is that Paul Ryan is in a position to actually do something to prevent gun violence.

If you tell a bum on the street that you are having pains in your stomach, he can tell you to pray.

If you tell a doctor the same thing and he tells you to pray, you probably say something like "Fuck that shit, fix it!"