• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Does PSVR have foveated rendering? Or is this just blast processing in action?

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
If you're getting a PSVR2 don't sleep on Pavlov, it's still one of the best VR shooters I've ever played.

Jul 7, 2021
Magical console optimization strikes again. Lol. "The console uses a much more optimized renderer so your PS5 = 3090ti",.. ok Jan.

Or this all just the fact that you can use foveated rendering and only mostly worry about shading a small part of the image at high resolution.

Hopefully Sony unlocks this for PC or Valve brings foveated rendering to its next headset. Sounds like a game changer.

Last edited:

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, everything we've seen for PS VR2 especially on the high end drives home just how massively powerful it is. Games are looking gorgeous.

That hasn't always been the case with VR.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Until newer PC headsets come out that utilize Eye Tracking+Foveated Rendering, looks like PSVR2 really will be ahead of the curve, if only by a bit in comparison to high end PC's.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
This bodes very well indeed.

I think PSVR2 games are gonna be such a quantum leap more advanced than PSVR1, and I can't wait.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Very impressive, I didn't realize this was coming to PSVR2 but that's great that it is. It's one of the best VR games on PC IMO, I've been playing it on PC for a while.

I also am a little surprised Valve hasn't offered to buy it and make it "Counter-Strike VR" but maybe they have and were turned down, who knows.

Jul 7, 2021
Until newer PC headsets come out that utilize eye tracking+Foveated Rendering, looks like PSVR2 really will be ahead of the curve, if only by a bit in comparison to high end PC's.

My guess is the more demand on the GPU the more a 3090ti would pull ahead of the PSVR2, even with foveated rendering. It's literally 3 times the power of a PS5. And who knows how DLSS will play out in VR... are there any games that use it?

More developer comments

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Love how everyone has jumped straight to it being because of ETFR but the dev said it was because

PS5 is faster than the 3090ti i have
not because it's faster stats by stats
but because PS5 and consoles in general are optimized for rendering
or also called "to the metal" rendering
Which basically sounds like it's faster because there's less overhead than running on PC.

Good news though, they also said

PS5 Pavlov runs better than any last gen PC we have in dev team or QA team
and we are not using the GPU/CPU to 100%

So at this stage it's possible they're not even using ETFR.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
My guess is the more demand on the GPU the more a 3090ti would pull ahead of the PSVR2, even with foveated rendering. It's literally 3 times the power of a PS5. And who knows how DLSS will play out in VR... are there any games that use it?
I don't think there haven't been enough demanding games for them to prioritize current DLSS versions with VR games. Most of the AAA-caliber PC VR games came out during the 10 and 20 series gen, right?
Hence why PSVR2 will need to be a miracle to bring that back again.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
And people still think the PSVR2 is overpriced. This is the reason Sony went the route they went with eye tracking and foveated rendering.

PS5+PSVR2 seems a lot cheaper than a 3090ti PC+headset to me.

Jul 7, 2021
True. Even the most demanding VR games tend to be... well not very demanding, targeting high refresh rates.

Well I'm hopefully for foveated + ray tracing to make much more convincing environments in VR. There was another promising technology that I don't see talked about much but I think Sony or maybe Meta was workign on... something to do with lenses and focusing on objects... I need ot look it up.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Love how everyone has jumped straight to it being because of ETFR but the dev said it was because

Which basically sounds like it's faster because there's less overhead than running on PC.

This reads even more favourable towards VR 2.

Jul 7, 2021
And people still think the PSVR2 is overpriced. This is the reason Sony went the route they went with eye tracking and foveated rendering.

PS5+PSVR2 seems a lot cheaper than a 3090ti PC+headset to me.

You won't need a 3090ti PC to do as well or better than a PS5 with headset though... so long as there is a PC headset that supports foveated rendering, which is not the case right now, as far as I know. But that will change.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Eye tracking and foveated rendering sound like such a game changer. I need it to be Feb 22nd already! I havent felt this hype in a long time

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Eye tracking and foveated rendering sound like such a game changer. I need it to be Feb 22nd already! I havent felt this hype in a long time
It's been the thing I've wanted to see since the DK2, was mostly just talks of how it's possible and etc, but nice to see it actually hitting headsets now with PSVR2 and Meta Quest Pro

Jul 7, 2021

Because it's nonsense. IT's the same dumb thing that has been said about consoles since the 360 days.. mind you, early in that gen it was true, but after DX11, that's just not relaly the case.

The overhead is pretty small these days, and the only devs that can take full advatage tend to be first party with a lot of engineering resources at their disposal.

I mean, just look at the results. Can you point to a genral trend of games performing as well on a PS5 as they do on a 3090ti? Or heck even one game? Nah, they tend to perform at right around a 2070 or 2070 super... just as you'd expect given the hardware. Some first party titles can manage performance slightly above that in pure rasterization -> but add DLSS and or Ray tracing and games can't even perform as well as a 2070 on a PS5 at that point.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
This reads even more favourable towards VR 2.
Indeed! We've seen talk about the PS4 APIs being more performant than the DirectX ones because of bookkeeping (if memory serves) and with PS5's SDK apparently being an extension of the PS4 one it makes sense that they're getting more performance on that platform vs PC.

Worth noting that the chat was also talking about Pavlov being CPU heavy, no idea what they've paired their 3090Ti with but the suggestion was it was important:

Pavlov is a very CPU heavy game, that's possibly the limitation. Doesn't matter if you're on a 1080 or 4x 3090tis in some Frankenstein abomination PC lol, if your CPU isn't good enough then Pavlov will struggle to run on, most servers with more than 10 players, and possibly even a couple with just 10 players depending on the map
Whereas some other VR games may be more GPU heavy and might not smack your CPU too hard, hence why they can run without crashing
Obviously PS5 has a very capable CPU so makes sense that's not a bottleneck. Please note, that last quote was from a user, not a dev.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
To me, this reads more like "PSVR2 generally runs a bit more efficiently than PC because it uses a console. Also we have a 3090 ti". Rather than directly saying it runs faster than their 3090 to setup.

Or are they more explicit about it elsewhere?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I mean, just look at the results. Can you point to a genral trend of games performing as well on a PS5 as they do on a 3090ti? Or heck even one game?
You're in a thread where the developer of the game is saying they're getting more performance out of a PS5 build of a VR game than they are their PC with a hefty GPU. Users of the game have suggested it 's CPU heavy and I have no idea what CPU the devs are using. You should take them to task, not me, I'm just filling the gaps on what they said :)

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Because it's nonsense. IT's the same dumb thing that has been said about consoles since the 360 days.. mind you, early in that gen it was true, but after DX11, that's just not relaly the case.

The overhead is pretty small these days, and the only devs that can take full advatage tend to be first party with a lot of engineering resources at their disposal.

I mean, just look at the results. Can you point to a genral trend of games performing as well on a PS5 as they do on a 3090ti? Or heck even one game? Nah, they tend to perform at right around a 2070 or 2070 super... just as you'd expect given the hardware. Some first party titles can manage performance slightly above that in pure rasterization -> but add DLSS and or Ray tracing and games can't even perform as well as a 2070 on a PS5 at that point.
You seem to be upset that the dev making a remark about their current build performance as a personal insult to your platform.

Jul 7, 2021
You're in a thread where the developer of the game is saying they're getting more performance out of a PS5 build of a VR game than they are their PC with a hefty GPU. Users of the game have suggested it 's CPU heavy and I have no idea what CPU the devs are using. You should take them to task, not me, I'm just filling the gaps on what they said :)

"dev" can mean game pad input scripter, or 3d modeler, or quest programmer, or AI engineer, or any number of thigns that don't have to do with optimizing the 3D rendering pipeline.

He says he "guesses" it's because x y and z. Not that It actually IS BECAUSE of that.

Jul 7, 2021
You seem to be upset that the devs making a remark about their current build performance as a personal insult to your platform.

Uhm... I'm upset? Are you here? Are you watching me on my webcam? What';s going on here?!

Dude, I'm not upset. I'm pointing something out. The fact that you assume I'm upset speaks volumes about where you're actually coming from.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
"dev" can mean game pad input scripter, or 3d modeler, or quest programmer, or AI engineer, or any number of thigns that don't have to do with optimizing the 3D rendering pipeline.

He says he "guesses" it's because x y and z. Not that It actually IS BECAUSE of that.
How about you do a little research as to who the person is who is being quoted (hint, Pavlov started with a single dev before becoming a team). And again, take your argument up with them, not me.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
To me, this reads more like "PSVR2 generally runs a bit more efficiently than PC because it uses a console. Also we have a 3090 ti". Rather than directly saying it runs faster than their 3090 to setup.

Or are they more explicit about it elsewhere?
He explicitly confirmed 3090ti.

He said that Pavlov runs about 10% better on PSVR2 than on PCVR so someone asked what GPU he meant when saying 10% better than PCVR and he replied saying a 3090ti.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Uhm... I'm upset? Are you here? Are you watching me on my webcam? What';s going on here?!

Dude, I'm not upset. I'm pointing something out. The fact that you assume I'm upset speaks volumes about where you're actually coming from.
This was your first response and a dumb take without all the information:

Magical console optimization strikes again. Lol. "The console uses a much more optimized renderer so your PS5 = 3090ti",.. ok Jan.

And no one here actually thinks the PS5 gpu is better than a 3090ti.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Most games that hit 60fps on PS5 will hit 120fps on a 3090 Ti. And PSVR2 does not contain a secret GPU that will double PS5's performance.

If PSVR2 games are showing even better performance than a 3090 Ti it can only be down to ETFR or a lower internal rendering resolution being used before reconstruction. Because there's no example of any non-VR game that gets close to 3090 Ti performance on PS5 (or XSX).

I find the FR tech truly fascinating though. I still can't fathom how it can keep up with the speed of your eye movement but the hands-on CES experiences suggest it absolutely does. Which is incredible really.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
Yeah... something is wrong here. More "to the metal" mumbo jumbo that should have died in 2012. Sounds like something is misconfigured somewhere or they have a severe bottleneck in their system.

Jul 7, 2021
How about you do a little research as to who the person is who is being quoted. And again, take your argument up with them, not me.

I'm not taking his "argument", which is hardly that, again, by his own words, are just a guess\, anywherw with you.

I'm pointing out facts. PS5's do not perform anywhere close to a 3090ti, nevermind 10% better. So no, the difference in performance theya re seeing is probably (99%) not stemming from some inherent magicla optimization on consoles.

Foveated rendering and a title that isn't very demanding on a GPU are the likely reasons why.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Indeed! We've seen talk about the PS4 APIs being more performant than the DirectX ones because of bookkeeping (if memory serves) and with PS5's SDK apparently being an extension of the PS4 one it makes sense that they're getting more performance on that platform vs PC.

Worth noting that the chat was also talking about Pavlov being CPU heavy, no idea what they've paired their 3090Ti with but the suggestion was it was important:

Obviously PS5 has a very capable CPU so makes sense that's not a bottleneck. Please note, that last quote was from a user, not a dev.
What does bookkeeping mean in reference to APIs? I should research these technicalities in order to get a better grasp at the what's being discussed.

I doubt they paired a 3090TI with some paltry CPU, but my guess is as good as yours.

I wonder what's the player limit for Pavlov on VR 2?